Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Thanks for the links.

The Always scene was okay, may be I'm in a funk at the moment over the show and the finale has drained my enthusiasm but nothing right now is getting me that excited about Castle and this didn't either.  I can see why they cut it TBH it doesn't really "fit" although I don't think the Maddox/Smith scene that followed this was worth the screen time since most fans promptly forget about it. And hey it was nice to see Castle on top taking the initiative for a change! 

I liked the original scene and thought that was fantastic, this extra clip doesn't change that in any way. I'm glad they've released it so everyone can make up their own mind, they should have had this on the S4 DVD just like all the rest.  The issue I had with this is the stupid way MilMar handled the issue when it first came to light during that Austin talk, that pissed me off and made them look foolish, not that fact it was deleted which they were were perfectly entitled to do.

Any way it's out there and over and done with. I know I won't be seeing anything remotely like that ever again between them.

Edited by verdana

I've never been much of a Caskett shipper but I prefered the TV version of their final scene in season 4 to the deleted scene.  It's nice that the show released that clip and happy for anyone who truly enjoyed it. 

From what I can remember Always ended with Castle and Beckett pretty hot and heavy and this clip shows them slower, more tender, and barely visible thanks to the bad lighting - what a surprise! - so it's a nice piece of extra footage but I get why they cut it.  It slows the momentum and explains to me why the chemistry between these two can be so tame sometimes, at least when I when I have time to watch the show.  It's a tamer scene than I thought it would be.  Nice, sweet, but the show made the right call in going with the footage they chose.  Better to end that season looking like Caskett was having some passionate sex and the pacing of this clip negates that. 

Thanks to metaphor for the links and to CastleInsanity for the goods.

Snap verdict on the Always deleted scene: A bit meh tbh.  Did we see anything actually?  It was so dark! ;)

I wasn't expecting too much after all this time so I'm not too disappointed.  But it didn't rock my world or anything and I didn't think it was the hottest thing ever from Caskett or from love scenes in general.  It was WAY too dark.  Thanks to Bowman, right? ;) I get the use of silhouette and shadow to create a mood, but it just didn't work for me here, especially the exaggerated lightening.  It was like 2 extremely dark blobs on a bed, way too dark to be sexy when we couldn't make out the least bit of their expressions or even their profiles much.  It would have been better if we could at least have glimpsed their expressions to see their desire, love, nervous anticipation.  And they came off as a bit awkward tbh.  Stana seemed like she didn't quite know where to put her hands.  I get that they were probably aiming for a tentative and nervous mood for their first time together, but basically I didn't get that feeling of unrestrained passion and commitment to the intimacy that I felt from the scene when they were against the door which made it hotter.

Stana/Beckett has nice collarbones!  Would be nice if we saw Castle kiss them some time. ;)  The part where they were looking at each other was maybe a bit better than when they were on the bed.  All in all, I'd say it was better that this deleted scene was edited out and it ended where it did on the show.  But they still should have taken out the non-Caskett ending scene.

Bloopers were very average, nothing that spectacular, they were much better last season, some of the inserts just felt weird to me. Like they didn't really have anything much to use so had to scrabble around trying to find things. Not much of Stana and Nathan together or even Stana alone, mostly the boys and Nathan.  I can't say I laughed at many of them.

I thought that Lanie's blooper reaction to the dress was the actual scene and they had left it in there by mistake. In fact I wish they had kept this one in it might have lightened my mood at the time when watching that bloody train wreck of a finale.  

mad maverick. I agree with you about the lighting and that they came off looking rather awkward which is odd may be it's the direction they're given? The walk through to the bedroom kind of broke the build up in mood for me too. But this was Bowman so I shouldn't have been surprised that everything is shrouded in darkness yet again, we were lucky to see what we did! 

If some fans are just going to get the S6 DVD based on those two extras then I think they're wasting their money big time. 

Edited by verdana

The Always scene was okay, may be I'm in a funk at the moment over the show and the finale has drained my enthusiasm but nothing right now is getting me that excited about Castle and this didn't either.  I can see why they cut it TBH it doesn't really "fit" although I don't think the Maddox/Smith scene that followed this was worth the screen time since most fans promptly forget about it. And hey it was nice to see Castle on top taking the initiative for a change! 

I agree, show me that deleted scene 2 years ago or even less than a year I would have been a lot more excited for it, but the show this last season has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I can also why they cut it but why it never made it onto the S4 DVDs I do not know. The Maddox/Smith scene is still a silly ending to S4.

Also, a big shout to whomever called there being a deleted scene way back after Always aired, due to crap editing just before the kissing up against the door.

We will never see a scene even vaguely similar to this so we better savour it.

They cut the Veritas scene?!?!? I don't claim to know anything about editing but how the hot hell do you cut this scene?!?! It basically wraps up a 6 season arc?! Never mind that they cut a kiss ... typical and not surprising, really ... but they cut this huge moment?! Beckett putting her mother's ring away, symbolizing the end of that chapter. Meh. Let's cut it. 

Ugh! 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 3

I don't think I've seen Veritas, but that scene deleted scene was good.  Saw these on Tumblr today otherwise I wouldn't have known about them.  Even a non-shipper like me was moved a bit by Kate putting that necklace away and having Castle be there to see her move on.  Now that's full circle from the issues they argued about in Always to where we see them here.  If the show wrote them more like that, I might have watched more regularly since they got together. 

I didn't see this special feature posted: On Location with Stana. It's the day Mark Polish spent with her while they were filming the (not)wedding.

It's both a bit creepy and bittersweet for me. Bittersweet because the way he shot it totally ignores the fact that the season was going to end in a fiery cliffhanger and not a wedding, and creepy because he's a bit too ... romantic about it. It's weird, because knowing how the wedding turns out, the tone doesn't fit. And the tone doesn't really fit a friend relationship, either. It reminds me a bit of in Love Actually, where the guy films his friend's wedding because he's really in love with the bride and he spends all his time focusing on her.

But it's lovely too, because Stana is lovely. She's as thoughtful and as well spoken as always, and I do like hearing what she thinks of the show and the story and the character.

I thought Luke did two things right with the wedding attire - that the dress needed to be "elegant, and romantic, and classic". That's how it should have been from the beginning, not high fashion and couture. And the second thing was the pearl bracelet, the same one he had Beckett wear for her birthday surprise for Castle. Those were the right calls, I think.

It's also nice to see the details that got put in that we didn't get to see on TV - the flowers on the bed, the wine list on the table. They spend so much time putting it out there that it get swallowed up in the production.

I also watched the Always deleted scene and the bloopers (I said I was going to hold out for the DVDs, but I ... failed). The bloopers didn't make me bust out laughing (there were some that made me laugh), but that's okay. I don't watch the bloopers to laugh, really. I watch the bloopers because I'm interested in the behind the scenes, in how they have fun and behave as actors. It's not a comedy reel. I don't need them to put on a comedy show for my benefit. Yes, some of it is funny. But I'm far more interested in it as a whole, instead of "did it make me laugh?".

And the Always deleted scene - I though the transition through his office was a bit awkward, but that's probably because I'm used to the scene ending where it did. It's also nice to know that the weird cut of Castle "making his decision" or whatever Marta Evry called it was footage from this extended cut. Other than that, I'm glad they released it and I'm glad to watch it. I know it's probably a disservice, and that now I'll wish that it made its way into other parts of the show, but I liked it. It's kind of how I imagined it, but better.

I didn't see this special feature posted: On Location with Stana. It's the day Mark Polish spent with her while they were filming the (not)wedding.

It's both a bit creepy and bittersweet for me. Bittersweet because the way he shot it totally ignores the fact that the season was going to end in a fiery cliffhanger and not a wedding, and creepy because he's a bit too ... romantic about it. It's weird, because knowing how the wedding turns out, the tone doesn't fit. And the tone doesn't really fit a friend relationship, either. It reminds me a bit of in Love Actually, where the guy films his friend's wedding because he's really in love with the bride and he spends all his time focusing on her.

I felt slightly uncomfortable watching it, the soft focus that he was trying to do as well didn't gel at all. I am not sure what the point of the segment was as it didn't really give anything new etc or even interesting and there was lots of weird slow-mo as well. I won't be watching that again.

Bloopers were very average, nothing that spectacular, they were much better last season, some of the inserts just felt weird to me. Like they didn't really have anything much to use so had to scrabble around trying to find things. Not much of Stana and Nathan together or even Stana alone, mostly the boys and Nathan.

Yeah, the bloopers seem really lame this year.  Usually we get long enough clips that you can tell what scene they're in, but see someone messing up their lines.  This just seemed like clips of people laughing and slapping each other.  I didn't laugh once while watching them.

I liked the Always deleted scene, but I agree they made the right call leaving it out.  I never thought there needed to be a change to the scene that aired, I just wanted to see this part of it.

Edited by KaveDweller

Bloopers, in my opinion, always have a bit of comedy and always make you laugh. These did not. Stana said watch out for the blooper in 6x01 of her flubbing the "Richard Edgar Alexander Roger Castle" line .. that didn't make the cut but Nathan, Jon, Seamus, & Molly smacking each other did?! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!  I haven't bought a Castle DVD since season 2 and that trend will continue. I have other things I could buy w. that cash .. like a new coat for the Fall. :-} 

I don't get the hate or creep factor some have w. Mark Polish. He and Stana have a nice working relationship and they are friends. I thought it was a lovely piece and beautifully shot. 

They cut the Veritas scene?!?!? I don't claim to know anything about editing but how the hot hell do you cut this scene?!?! It basically wraps up a 6 season arc?! Never mind that they cut a kiss ... typical and not surprising, really ... but they cut this huge moment?! Beckett putting her mother's ring away, symbolizing the end of that chapter. Meh. Let's cut it. 

Ugh! 

Come back from a quick break and see that Veritas deleted scene pop up on my dash. Of course they cut the kiss, we can't have too much physical intimacy on our screen but when she put the ring in that box my mouth dropped open. What a HUGE fucking moment for Beckett and they cut that!  It really did make everything come full circle from that memorable scene when she tells Castle about why she wears her mother's ring on that chain and we see first her put it on and now she's closing that chapter of her life and looking forward. 

Seriously they're clueless, important milestones like this for the character plus the bonus of some romantic intimacy and they remove it. Frustrating, I really would like to know why that was deemed unnecessary. Time constraints?  

Samantha. Saving up for a fab new coat..I'm shocked. Heh. But money well spent, better than wasting cash on the S6 DVD by the looks of things. 

Edited by verdana

Stana said watch out for the blooper in 6x01 of her flubbing the "Richard Edgar Alexander Roger Castle" line .. that didn't make the cut but Nathan, Jon, Seamus, & Molly smacking each other did?! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

It's happened before that the things that made it online before the DVDs were available weren't the entirety of the feature. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was part of it missing.

Seriously they're clueless, important milestones like this for the character plus the bonus of some romantic intimacy and they remove it. Frustrating, I really would like to know why that was deemed unnecessary. Time constraints?

Probably. But it explains a bit more about why the actors seem to think things are "going better" (and I use that term loosely) than the fans do - they have all this stuff that they shoot that doesn't make it to screen. I'm starting to think it's a giant misstep in editing than a writing/acting/creativity error.

It makes me wonder, though, if seeing the fan reactions to the things that conceivably should have been in their respective episodes but weren't makes anything different. People have already been tweeting the Creaseys their opinions about the Always deleted scene. Part of me hopes that seeing that people yearn for (and enjoy) the closeness and intimacy of the deleted scenes means that they'll add some of that into the TV broadcast.

I liked the Veritas deleted scene, but I don't think I would have liked it in the episode, especially not as a tag to the end. I liked where Veritas ended, with Bracken being hauled away and Beckett taking comfort in Castle. If anything, I would have had the Veritas deleted scene as the opening for For Better or Worse - it's continuity with the last episode but it leads into a whole new chapter of Beckett being able to move on with her life and being safe and happy and ready to get married.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I find anything to do with Mark Polish when he's hanging around Stana creepy and that video was no different. I really wish he'd go and fixate on someone else. 

As others have said the tone of that entire clip was bizarre because it played totally like they had filmed the greatest most lovely romantic wedding ever when of course we know it wasn't.  Seeing all the details like the flowers on the bed and so on just made me angry that they did all that for nothing. *sigh* 

For once Luke got something right with the dress choice and pearls - nice touch. 

"If you can finish every day with three victories for a character that's really nice" (Stana)  

When the guy asked her if that had happened today I think the long pause before she responded said it all before deciding she had got two, I would love to know what she thought they were because the finale did her character no favours.  The last thing I would want to be doing is hugging Marlowe after that mess. 

McManda. I agree the ending of Veritas was fine as it was and they could have moved this scene somewhere else. I just wish they had kept it in somewhere. Other deleted scenes I can understand why they get left out but not that one, it was a small thing but it felt important for the character. 

Edited by verdana

There's also another reason why I probably wouldn't have wanted to see the Always deleted scene in the episode. On re-watch I spotted the dreaded "hover thumb" when he pushes her hair away and strokes her shoulder when they're standing by the bed, that always drives me nuts when I see that. Can't they bend properly or something? 

McManda. I agree the ending of Veritas was fine as it was and they could have moved this scene somewhere else. I just wish they had kept it in somewhere.

I agree it was a good scene, but what could they have cut out of Veritas to make it fit?

Another deleted scene from In the Belly of the Beast. I like the moment between Gates and Castle, the rest doesn't look that different than what aired.

Thanks for the links.

I've always loved this show's bloopers, but this one didn't do it for me. Focused too much on the bromances. I don't even mean more Caskett (though there was zero). More with Molly and Susan would have even been nice. Way too much Ryan and Espo, and not even funny or entertaining bits.

Regarding deleted scenes, I'm glad we get to see some of the important ones now at least. The ring one seems like they should have found space for it. Hanning tweeted it seemed like a second ending and the goal was to leave us wanting more (if that's the case, the show as a whole is a huge success lol). Would have also been nice if the Belly of the Beast scene with Castle and Gates were left in as I remember a big complaint was that he didn't seem worried enough about Beckett compared to when Alexis was missing.

The Stana feature was ok, she seemed rightfully exhausted. Still think they totally failed at the resulting episode. Might be her exhaustion, but she doesn't seem as into it as normal either.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

I liked the On Location with Stana video. It was nicely done and felt real and classy. But the whole time I was wondering: Is this Castle? Is there another series they are making out of material they cut from the version that airs?

Kinda looks like they already shot the beginning of season 7 in May…?

I’d like to have seen the deleted Veritas scene in the episode, but then I had liked Veritas to be a two parter in the first place. With enough time to breathe in between and to avoid the many holes in the plot.

Deleted always scene… Huh, much ado about the right decision IMO. Dark describes it very well though..:-)

I like certain types of physical humour, and Seamus tripping over pieces scattered on the ground or Nathan slapping the forms of the marriage licence out of Molly’s hands, followed by her heartfelt “dick” was right up my alley.

Edited by Sonik Tooth

Rewatched the Always deleted scene, and I'm liking it a little bit more now that I accept they weren't going for heat there.  It's not so much as a continuation of the passionate desperation of the door scene but more a transition to something more sweet, tender and gentle.  It may be the extended Always theme that's layering emotion into the scene and making me like it more heh.  Is that the first time we've heard this?  If anyone sees it floating around on the internet, please let me know.  Much as I liked the music, maybe I'll even like the lightened and music free version of the scene even better if one pops up.

It's a tamer scene than I thought it would be.  Nice, sweet, but the show made the right call in going with the footage they chose.  Better to end that season looking like Caskett was having some passionate sex and the pacing of this clip negates that.

Agreed.  They were going for a different vibe in the bedroom than at the door, and the ending wouldn't have felt as intense and climatic if they'd kept it in.  Might have worked if the bedroom scene transitioned to the morning after scene, but as an ending it wasn't as powerful as simply ending it at the door, especially coupled with the swelling version of the Always theme.  

I think I've just got to accept by now that their preferred tone on Castle is nice, sweet, chaste and tame (some might say asexual lol), rather than anything intense, heated, passionate or wild (most we'll ever get is actionless dirty talk).  Brief over lengthy.  Definitely dark over lit.  Preference is for dark lighting that keeps us from seeing their faces whenever it's more than their usual simple, chaste kiss.  Maybe dark silhouette kissing is their (only) idea of injecting passion into an intimate scene. (Always, Valkyrie etc.) 

I like to think they got around to passionate sex sometime in the 4 rounds even if we never ever get to see them in the heat of passion then or ever. ;) 

We will never see a scene even vaguely similar to this so we better savour it.

True that.  They put this S4 deleted scene onto the S6 DVD set to pacify us for the continued drought of such scenes in S7 heh. ;)

Joking aside, I don't see why they didn't just stick this onto the S4 DVD.  It's not really a big deal.

"If you can finish every day with three victories for a character that's really nice" (Stana)

That was the only part that really caught my interest in that extra and had me wondering.  Did she mean 3 victories in terms of her acting choices for the character? Did she get 3 (or definitely 2) from that one day of filming the final scene of FBFW 'cause... hm which moments, I wonder?  Or was she not sure that she had one victory from the filming of that (melodramatic, poorly written, imo) final scene?  Interesting to hear Stana talk about her acting a bit even if I think she's said similar stuff before.  What came through to me is that it really is an exhausting, repetitive process, requiring a lot of stamina, and you kind of have to dig hard for interesting actor bits amidst the procedural.  It's no wonder they all seem eager to leave the characters and the show behind during hiatus.

Anyone catch what she said at 1:10 in the video?  She's talking about how she likes [x] but some actors don't like it.  Couldn't quite catch it.

The idea of a BTS 'A Day with Stana' was good, but I didn't find this end product to be that interesting or insightful.  Still not a fan of Mark Polish's directing and don't really see how this sort of thing couldn't have been done just as well or better by any regular Castle director who might not even have been named in it. ;)  Felt like he was trying to recreate the vibe of FLO with all those slo-mo shots of Stana looking pretty and looking like she was in a bridal or wedding mag shoot lol.  Coupled with the swelling music, the tone just didn't feel right for Castle/a DVD extra that was fairly light on substance and emotion.  Might have been more interesting if we saw more of Stana interacting with others or actually sharing her thoughts on the scene being filmed, the love story ending or pausing the way it did.  It was a bit weird to hear her refer to her character as Katherine throughout when she's usually referred to her as Beckett or Kate.

Agree with Stana that Beckett's wedding dress should be 'romantic, classic and elegant'.  If so, what did she think of Beckett's first wedding dress that she swooned all over in that fashion episode?  I wonder.   Hope we'll get to see that dress again after she had to go through trying 12. ;)

Re Veritas deleted scene.  Agree that they should have found a way to work it in somehow.  It had an important emotional component to it that added to the episode. Not to mention a good Caskett moment.

The ITBOTB scene with Castle/Gates should also have  been kept.  Better than what we got with Castle in the episode.  Sure they could have cut out some of the action/case stuff.

Bloopers were OK.  Nothing super amusing.  Most amusing of the lot were probably the one where Jon pointed his gun at Nathan, everything Susan Sullivan, 'sexual harassment' of PJJ heh and their hug was nice to see at the end.  The actors making funny faces has never done it to me.  Tolerate the slapfest as it's always there. My eyes may deceive me but I thought I saw Stana getting into the slap action for once with Jon.  More bloopers of the actors flubbing their lines or pranking would be funnier.

No one will likely study it in an RTV program.  At my school (top 10) they're studying True Blood, Twin Peaks, 70's comedies to modern comedies, and a lot of pedantic stuff you probably wont care about unless you have your PhD in gloabal media (I don't).

Hey, Elysium, don't lose hope. Bad shows can be a great pedagogical tool. ;) As a collection of cliches and influences, Castle is actually perfect for teaching media students.  

• Love 1

Just saw the Always deleted scene. Here are my thoughts:

The Scene is and always be my favorite. The intimacy in that scene took & still takes my breath away. I like in the deleted scene that the intimacy continues. It's just a continuous of what happened at the door.

I've seen some say the scene was overly hyped and I ask this: by whom & who's fault is that? I take issue w. Marlowe for a lot of shit, as y'all are well aware of, but this time it's not his fault. Fans hyped that scene up for MONTHS! And I knew that when it was released people would complain and be disappointed. Why? B/c your imagination had come up w. a better outcome than what payed out. Which is what Marlowe & Terri said all along. They cut that scene and left the rest to the audience imagination b/c what one comes up w. is better than actually seeing what actually happened. 

Fans who saw that scene hyped it up and other fans hyped it up. Marlowe didn't do that, Terri didn't do that, cast & crew didn't do that .. fans did! 

• Love 1
I agree it was a good scene, but what could they have cut out of Veritas to make it fit?

It's difficult to think where it could fit in Veritas they packed a lot into that episode but I'm with McManda on this: 

If anything, I would have had the Veritas deleted scene as the opening for For Better or Worse - it's continuity with the last episode but it leads into a whole new chapter of Beckett being able to move on with her life and being safe and happy and ready to get married.

If there's a choice between this deleted scene and having to waste precious minutes watching them chasing after Beckett's first husband I know which I would choose. Why they're so reluctant to allow any follow through on this show defeats me, it would make the stories they tell so much more compelling and give the characters room to breathe.

• Love 1

That was the only part that really caught my interest in that extra and had me wondering.  Did she mean 3 victories in terms of her acting choices for the character? Did she get 3 (or definitely 2) from that one day of filming the final scene of FBFW 'cause... hm which moments, I wonder?  Or was she not sure that she had one victory from the filming of that (melodramatic, poorly written, imo) final scene? 

I bet one of those victories was the destruction of the hideous dress. I would also add the nice convo with the future mother-in-law. Any interaction with Martha is a victory for the character.

Edited by Finis Terre

Which is what Marlowe & Terri said all along. They cut that scene and left the rest to the audience imagination b/c what one comes up w. is better than actually seeing what actually happened. 

Fans who saw that scene hyped it up and other fans hyped it up. Marlowe didn't do that, Terri didn't do that, cast & crew didn't do that .. fans did! 

They didn't hype it up but they did by their stupid defensive attitude (Terri's infamous #respecttheprocess tweet and Marlowe's interview after Austin) created a PR mess for themselves. If they had just released the clip at the end of S4 or simply kept quiet and never discussed it this wouldn't even have be an issue. So yeah some fans expected way too much and are now disappointed, that's no surprise but it was poorly handled by TPTB in the first place. 

The Veritas scene shouldn't have been deleted. Some of the decisions made by the producers of this show are mind-boggling. Are they completely clueless? Disinterested? Sabotage-friendly? SMH

Edited by Finis Terre

There's also another reason why I probably wouldn't have wanted to see the Always deleted scene in the episode. On re-watch I spotted the dreaded "hover thumb" when he pushes her hair away and strokes her shoulder when they're standing by the bed, that always drives me nuts when I see that. Can't they bend properly or something?

Another little nitpick - after they go at it against the door, why does she lead him the roundabout way through his office to his bedroom? There's a door that leads to his bedroom right off the entry hallway. Still, I'm not going to analyze it too much, because I still love it.

I'm also okay with them slowing down one they got to the bedroom. We kinda saw that with the way the scene actually ended. Castle kisses  his way down her chest and after that, it's not so hot and heavy. I like that that continues into this cut scene and I also think that it fits them more. Yeah, there's this passion, but at the same time they've had this slow burn for so long, they've been friends for so long. I think slower and sweeter suits their first time a bit more than the hot and heavy.

Honestly Ryan + karaoke is my FAVE deleted scene! Made all the more funny b/c Seamus is actually a wonderful singer!

I haven't seen this one yet, but my favorite part of one of Jon's old "Day in the Lyfe" videos was of him and Seamus singing in his trailer.

I like certain types of physical humour, and Seamus tripping over pieces scattered on the ground or Nathan slapping the forms of the marriage licence out of Molly’s hands, followed by her heartfelt “dick” was right up my alley.

I liked the "dick" comment by Molly because it's also a nickname for Richard, so it's like she was almost keeping with her character. ;)

Edited by McManda
Still think they totally failed at the resulting episode. Might be her exhaustion, but she doesn't seem as into it as normal either.

She was thinking about the crappy ending of the episode.

So yeah some fans expected way too much and are now disappointed, that's no surprise but it was poorly handled by TPTB in the first place.

People had been talking about the scene for months, so obviously it would have been hard to meet all those expectations.  I really liked it though (although, I'm glad they didn't put it in the episode). I keep re-watching it.

Edited by KaveDweller

I think I've just got to accept by now that their preferred tone on Castle is nice, sweet, chaste and tame (some might say asexual lol), rather than anything intense, heated, passionate or wild (most we'll ever get is actionless dirty talk).  Brief over lengthy.  Definitely dark over lit.  Preference is for dark lighting that keeps us from seeing their faces whenever it's more than their usual simple, chaste kiss.  Maybe dark silhouette kissing is their (only) idea of injecting passion into an intimate scene. (Always, Valkyrie etc.) 

The sweetness level they're aiming for is at times cavity inducing and they definitely want to keep things harmless and chaste but sadly that negates any hope of seeing much sexual tension/passion/heat. Pity they cut that kiss in Veritas for once it was well lit and looked better than their usual efforts. Less is more in Marlowe's world and I'm not just talking about sexual situations, seems the less they show of Castle and Beckett interacting the better he likes it.  

I wonder how many well lit decent kisses and moments of emotional intimacy between these characters have ended up discarded on the cutting room floor over the last two seasons? Sadly probably a lot. 

I've read comments on tumblr from some fans after the Always deleted scene aired that it was cut by TPTB because Stana said she doesn't want Beckett to be "objectified" hence why we don't get many sex scenes on this show, I have to disagree with their reasoning. This woman is not being treated like some sex toy by a guy or being forced to parade around with her clothes slipping off every week to be lusted over. The deleted scene was tender, sweet and between a man and a woman who have finally accepted their love for one another. Stana did say in an interview at the start of S5 that she didn't want Beckett to be objectified now that Castle and Beckett had entered into a relationship but she surely wasn't referring to a moment like this.  Beckett can be seen to be about to make love with a bare shoulder on display and still be respected as a woman. I'm really confused as to how the (very) occasional scene like this on Castle could be seen as disrespecting the character as a woman. 

Edited by verdana
I've read comments on tumblr from some fans after the Always deleted scene aired that it was cut by TPTB because Stana said she doesn't want Beckett to be "objectified" hence why we don't get many sex scenes on this show, I have to disagree with their reasoning.

I think it was cut for the reasons Marlowe said a while back.  They thought the door scene was a better climax to the whole thing and that leaving it up to the imagination was more powerful.

I think it's interesting that people are always trying to pin writing/directing choices on the actors.  Do they really have that much control? Stana usually seems pretty guarded to me in interviews, so I'm not sure how one comment is enough to blame her for the whole lack of sexiness thing.  I mean maybe she's a diva and that's true, I just don't think there's much evidence for it.  I think a lot of comments actors make in interviews are just innocent comments.

Thanks for the link.

Had to cover my eyes at 13.41 when they showed the three guys in those wretched Elvis outfits. That was not a fan favourite of mine it was a horror show.

Love the red coats Beckett wears.  Actually I love almost all her coats. It's the one thing Luke gets right. Yeah that is a hell of a coat allowance for an NYPD detective. 

Love Susan and her role as "advice giver" on the show, Nathan looks like he adores her too, the way he looks at her when she speaks.  

"They need more Susan on this show". YES! Thank you Seamus.

Terri's mentioned that her favourite moments for Castle and Beckett were early on when they had all the sexual tension but couldn't do anything about it. Yeah well now there is none, I suppose they decided you just get rid of it because they're doing it (off screen). The banter between them in those very early days which set the show off Jon mentions (I agree with him). Andrew says that encapsulated what the series was going to be about - that back and forth between the two of them - okay Andrew if that's the case then why the hell don't we see more of it? And I couldn't help smirking at the way they've changed their tune about the Always deleted scene and how "very excited" they are to show it to the fans, they weren't nearly as forthcoming in Austin, remember that tweet Terri you sent out defending your decision? Oh yeah of course it got deleted. Heh.  

Edited by verdana
Terri's mentioned that her favourite moments for Castle and Beckett were early on when they had all the sexual tension but couldn't do anything about it.

I thought it was interesting they all picked moments before Caskett was together for Castle/Beckett moments. I also noticed that Jon pointed out Castle's contributions to cases has gone from really useful/helpful to dumb crazy theories.  I don't usually complain about stuff like that, but if the cast is noticing it, surely the writers should notice it and try to improve things.

I laughed at Seamus making fun of Firefly. 

I also noticed that Jon pointed out Castle's contributions to cases has gone from really useful/helpful to dumb crazy theories.  I don't usually complain about stuff like that, but if the cast is noticing it, surely the writers should notice it and try to improve things.

I don't disagree, but I thought that was more a friendly ribbing (that might be more based in truth than they'd like, but it's not all Nathan's fault).

Seamus making fun of Firefly was my favorite part. That and the story of how they got the Castle/baby-Alexis photo. That might be my favorite father/daughter moment of the entire show, so I'm glad it sticks out to the actors, too.

I don't disagree, but I thought that was more a friendly ribbing (that might be more based in truth than they'd like, but it's not all Nathan's fault).

Yeah, I think it was friendly ribbing, but I also thought it says more than he may have intended.

Another thing I found weird (but not surprising) was that Nathan's favorite Castle/Beckett moment was during the Demming arc, when he said "Two weeks ago I saved your life twice" in response to Beckett ignoring him.  Maybe he just liked that they used his adlib, but it's not really one of the more romantic moments of the show.  But Nathan's never been into the romantic scenes.  And maybe he did mention something else that wasn't shown.

Nathan's always been pretty forthcoming about how he likes to play the 'other guy' (maybe partly because he's never really been a romantic lead before, maybe because that's his life experience, maybe because it's more interesting than just playing suave and confident and all that goes with it, I don't know) and I think that the Demming arc was the best triangle they've done on the show. As far as manufactured angst in their relationship, I like the Demming stuff the most, too.

That said, I don't know if I could come up with a favorite Castle/Beckett moment. I like their banter, both BC and AC (before couple-dom and after couple-dom), but I don't know if I could pin one moment as my favorite. Their relationship milestones just seem so ... expected. Maybe their not-date in The Third Man (where they ditch their own dates to build theory) or being a Hart to Hart couple in the Hamptons (I really like when they're in bed and Beckett's trying to distract him from the case of the guy that died in the pool)?  It's all the small moments, I guess. I could probably list a bunch if I got going, but then I don't know if that's the point of picking a favorite.

That said, I don't know if I could come up with a favorite Castle/Beckett moment.

I would probably say the end of Always, just because of the importance of it.  But yeah, it would be really tough to pick one moment.  I'd have to do one banter moment, one romantic moment, one fight moment, etc.  And even then it would be hard.

Nathan's always been pretty forthcoming about how he likes to play the 'other guy' (maybe partly because he's never really been a romantic lead before, maybe because that's his life experience, maybe because it's more interesting than just playing suave and confident and all that goes with it, I don't know)

I think Nathan Fillion and I have pretty different taste (at least in some things).  He also likes seeing people laugh at Castle.

The SK wedding comments on the MP location video seem out of context given that there was no actual wedding in 6x23. It presented for me that Stana didn’t know at the time of the recording of the video that there was no actual wedding scene in the finale. Watching the MP video, you had to wonder why he would be allowed access to the set using that documentary script if no wedding. Seamus said during the last week of filming that the cast did not get the script until the last minute each day. Also, during that last week, there were BTS out there on tumblr showing the MP people making the video and there were comments from many wondering why Marlowe would let him there.  It just seems strange to watch a behind the scenes video during the making of a wedding episode, but the wedding was not going to happen and further, the female lead didn’t know the final outcome, but she presented to the audience in the video that she was satisfied with the outcome and then she makes comments in Greece that she was surprised about the finale. Would Marlowe do that to his female lead? Maybe that was why the Amann trip to Italy was needed in order to keep her on board.

Also, during that last week, there were BTS out there on tumblr showing the MP people making the video and there were comments from many wondering why Marlowe would let him there.

There were scenes in that feature where they showed them lighting the car on fire, so I don't think it was sprung on people at the last minute.  They probably let MP on set in exchange for the DVD feature/publicity.  But it looks like he was there when they were setting up that scene.

It does seem a little odd that they talk about the wedding as though it was going to happen, but it could just be that the interview segments were done while they filmed the wedding prep scenes at the house, and she was talking about that scene? Or trying to think in character? I

The SK wedding comments on the MP location video seem out of context given that there was no actual wedding in 6x23. It presented for me that Stana didn’t know at the time of the recording of the video that there was no actual wedding scene in the finale. Watching the MP video, you had to wonder why he would be allowed access to the set using that documentary script if no wedding. Seamus said during the last week of filming that the cast did not get the script until the last minute each day. Also, during that last week, there were BTS out there on tumblr showing the MP people making the video and there were comments from many wondering why Marlowe would let him there.  It just seems strange to watch a behind the scenes video during the making of a wedding episode, but the wedding was not going to happen and further, the female lead didn’t know the final outcome, but she presented to the audience in the video that she was satisfied with the outcome and then she makes comments in Greece that she was surprised about the finale. Would Marlowe do that to his female lead? Maybe that was why the Amann trip to Italy was needed in order to keep her on board.

Just my take, but I seriously doubt Amann went to Italy specifically to placate Stana Katic. And while this episode seems widely hated, well...SK is not the first actor, nor will she be the last, to have to act out crappy scenarios that may blindside her.

(I even recall reading in an article that the cast of MASH, long ago, did not know the ending of "Abyssinia, Henry!", the episode where Henry Blake was finally able to go home only to be shot down. The ending was supposedly locked and given to the cast the final day of shooting the episode.)

Actors can love, hate, and be surprised by things, but they get paid to act it out. And they stay until contracts are up - unless they want a fight. SK doesn't seem like the type.

• Love 1

I bet one of those victories was the destruction of the hideous dress. I would also add the nice convo with the future mother-in-law. Any interaction with Martha is a victory for the character.

Well the day in question they definitely filmed the Lanie scene, Martha and the earrings scene and the final scene. The first two could count as one though. I would have thought her two victories would have been the Martha scene and the final scene. Then again if they count the first two as one then she only had an opportunity for two victories that day.

Loved the Veritas deleted scene but totally understand why they cut that out. Always one definitely glad they got rid of it.

Edited by Nadine

There were scenes in that feature where they showed them lighting the car on fire, so I don't think it was sprung on people at the last minute.  They probably let MP on set in exchange for the DVD feature/publicity.  But it looks like he was there when they were setting up that scene.

It does seem a little odd that they talk about the wedding as though it was going to happen, but it could just be that the interview segments were done while they filmed the wedding prep scenes at the house, and she was talking about that scene? Or trying to think in character? I

I started loling at that. I was like seriously? Wedding talk while some crew member is lighting the car on fire. The whole tone of that vid was strange considering there was no wedding. There was some interesting bits like the pearls and what kind of dress fits Beckett's style which most of us been saying for a long time. I did enjoy hearing her talking about how she likes to rehearse and working with John Terlesky. Seems like he will be missed. At least we had eps not in the dark when he was directing. Which brings me to the Always extended scene which was so dark you can barely see anything. I'm ok with them leaving it out.

Onto the deleted scenes, my favorite was Ryan's karaoke full scene. I could not stop laughing that I watched it like 5 times in a row. I just love how it goes from Ryan do si do trying to get away to totally getting into it. Also loved Espo's wtf looks to enjoying it to 'oh shit' we need to get out of here motions.

I do agree that the Castle/Gates scene from ITBOTB should've been left in. It's rare that those two get a scene where Gates isn't annoyed at Castle. Same with the Veritas scene. The Caskett hug at the end still seem really long that they could've cut a few seconds there and somewhere else to so show Beckett putting her mom's ring in the box, the 'are you sure' and 'it's time' dialog and possibly the kiss. Or moved it to the next ep but this show is really bad at continuity. It's an important part of Beckett's character and that was a full circle moment so it should've been somewhere. Then again the finale was a complete mess so I don't even know where it would fit in there.

I did enjoy see the fav moments vid and yes there needs to be more Susan. Cute that Seamus is ragging on Firefly, like knowing some of there fav guest actors, and the story about the Castle/little Alexis pic. I wouldn't be able to pic a fave Caskett moment cause there is so many, but one of my fav ad lib lines has to be "3 armed cops and a writer makes 4, you're under arrest, so get on the floor" always cracks me up. Didn't it feel like this vid was a series retrospective vid that belongs on the last season dvd or a complete collection one?

So the gag reel was somewhat fun. Seems like Penny and Tamala had more screen time in these extras than previous seasons. I wish we got more of there bloopers and Susan's. I did love the meme screenshot in the middle. Loled at Nathan dosing off with Molly having to wake him up and Molly calling him Dick when the papers were slapped out of her hand. Susan is right they do have a sibling vibe. Ryan tripping over a prop and any Nathan/Penny interaction were funny too. I wish we have more of the line flubs and pranks in the gag reel. I don't mind the bromance but the whole face slapping is getting really old and it felt longer than other season ones.

I thought it was interesting they all picked moments before Caskett was together for Castle/Beckett moments. I also noticed that Jon pointed out Castle's contributions to cases has gone from really useful/helpful to dumb crazy theories.  I don't usually complain about stuff like that, but if the cast is noticing it, surely the writers should notice it and try to improve things.

I laughed at Seamus making fun of Firefly. 

I noticed that too and I can't say I blame them preferring moments prior to them hooking up because the show was better back then in my view and deep down I think they all know it. Seamus was comedy gold throughout that clip it's as if he's got to the stage now when he thinks "what the hell" and he doesn't even bother trying to pretend any more but wants to have fun with everything be it a blooper, scene or interview.

As for Nathan liking the Demming arc, he's mentioned that before and it's no surprise to me he picked that scene as one of his favourites, I know he also brings up how much fun he had doing the Heartbreak Hotel episode on other occasions, he's no Caskett shipper and never will be that's for sure. In fact I can always rely on him to pick the last thing I think is enjoyable as a stand out moment, we really do have different tastes. 

Edited by verdana
Didn't it feel like this vid was a series retrospective vid that belongs on the last season dvd or a complete collection one?

Definitely felt that way, may be it was Stana's demeanour (and it was end of season final day shooting so okay they're all sad to say goodbye for the summer etc) but I did get that vibe that it was the kind of thing you would do right at the end. Feels like everyone is mentally ready to move on even if they haven't actually done it yet. 

I laughed when they showed her at 1.05 walking in that lovely dress past his car in a ditch that they're getting ready to burn and the tinkly Always music is playing away in the background. Like that's not about to happen! Bizarre.  

And I thought it was strange that Stana kept referring to Kate as Katherine which someone else brought up too. I know Martha does it but she's never been called that otherwise and I kept wondering who the hell she was talking about each time she said it.

Thinking about it overnight, I get the impression Stana had to make the best out of a poorly written story for her character, I don't believe for one second any of the cast looked at that script and thought hey fantastic what a great way to end this season! It was shoddy, full of gaping plot holes, lazy and had a horrible ending for Castle and Beckett which was certainly not the romantic one fans had wanted but it's happened, they're paid to do a job so get on with it. However, like many actors in that situation, she no doubt found certain things to fixate on that she could turn into positive moments (or little victories) for her amongst the dross, that way she can go home content about her contribution. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1