Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

Oh no you didn't!

I will (I probably can't) ban you for it! I was at work today all minding my own business and a girl shoved a phone in my face asking me about a dress.. then I get home and check twitter and BAM feed explosion about something so stupid!

I was away from my computer for a few hours and it was all llamas and dresses when I came back. Someone had a great tweet about the day we made progress on net neutrality was the most internet day ever...

Here's one: laura olin ‏@lauraolin 11h11 hours ago

In honor of the net neutrality victory, the internet decided to have the most internet day ever.

I don't know if that was the one I saw originally, but it was oh, so true.

By the way, I also missed the hole Boy in the Balloon thing. Came back to my computer and "everyone" was talking about it. Also the Baumgartner flying guy. Missed the whole thing.

I imagine that they'll do what they need to do to make sure Fenway Park is cleared of snow.

Priorities!  Also, we're supposed to get snow again in Dallas today... we had rain/ ice/ sleet/ snow on Monday, and a tiny bit of dry snow yesterday (which instantly disappeared, too warm), so we'll see how today goes!  The weatherman was saying "2-4 inches" last night, but I think he's gotten overly excited.

• Love 1

Regarding the stupid dress. I followed this link, tweeted by Mayim Bialik. Before, I always saw the dress as blue and black, obviously blue and black, including in King of Birds' poll this morning. But in the link, I saw it as gold and white, obviously gold and white. Continuing to read in that article, there's a place to click to see a color-corrected version. I looked at that, then looked back at the article, where all the pictures were back to being obviously blue and black. There's a scientific explanation in that link, something to do with the lighting and your rods & cones, but I don't see how that explains it changing in the same light. Maybe that our eyes are just that adaptable, that once I saw the color-corrected version, my eyes couldn't see it any other way?

I don't know. I just thought all the gold & white people were playing a huge joke on us blue and black people, but it didn't turn out that way. On a completely unrelated note, I have a little headache behind my eyes. (Too much exercise for my rods and cones, apparently.)

ETA: I clicked on a different link discussing the dress and I saw it as gold and white again, clicked to a B&B pic, then saw it as B&B again. Bonkers. And yes, I will stop clicking on links about the dress, because it is definitely hurting my head and I already took ibuprofen earlier and it's too early to take it again.

Edited by Too Late Kev

This dress thing was insane yesterday.  I did one of the joke answers for the poll, but I always saw white and gold, except when I scrolled past it quickly.  Then, for a fleeting second, I could see blue and black.  And now, of course, there are humorous memes all over my Facebook and Twitter about it.  

ETA:  House of Cards on Netflix today!  I'll probably only watch two or three episodes tonight, but will definitely finish over the weekend.

Edited by MichelleAK

I didn't know about the dress thing until I saw it here. It looks so obviously white and gold to me that when I saw a headline asking what color the dress was, I thought it was going to be a debate about eggshell vs ivory vs ecru vs cream. When I saw the "black and blue" alternative, I thought it was either a prank, or it was a commentary on possibly the woman wearing it having been beat up or something.

I think it's interesting that approximately 75% of people see it was white and gold, and that it apparently means the majority have "less light sensitive" eye equipment. I actually am the sort of person who sometimes wears sunglasses indoors, and I have my monitor turned WAAAAAY down, because the light bothers me so much. But maybe all those adjustments are causing me to see things entirely differently than others? Why this dress, and not everything? It's bizarre. Is everything I see a completely different color to 25% of people who see it?

My ex and I actually had a running disagreement about colors til we found out she was partially color blind. It's very rare for women, but her father is colorblind, so we should have figured it out sooner.

Despite the snow here, the light has really changed and so it feels like spring to me. It's still below zero a lot, but I can feel the sap flowing somehow.... and I have no doubt that baseball will be undeterred.

Snow in Dallas seems morally wrong, somehow. Don't people move there to avoid snow? But of course, it's "dry"-- I never heard of snow being called dry before, but that makes sense for Texas weather, right? Like how Arizona has a dry heat, Texas has dry snow.

The P&R forum was always fun, and the finale brought out the enthusiasm at its peak. Glad you caught some of the good will, KOB!

I keep saying I am going to watch less TV and spend less time on the internet, but virtual life is so much easier than real life, it's hard to pull away.

• Love 1

stewedsquash, it's not just the lighting of whatever picture you're looking at. I can see the same picture, obviously gold and white and then scroll down and back up to the same picture and see it obviously blue and black. I don't really understand it, but that's what happens for me and for some other people. Thursday night, though, when I first saw it, it was blue and black, never gold and white, and never changing. It was just on Friday that I started seeing it sometimes as G&W.

It's not different lighting in different pics. I can flip it back and forth in my vision to be either color scheme. At first I could only see white and gold, but once I flipped it once I could do it at will. I can tell my eye prefers white and gold, because it's harder to make the blue and black stay consistently.

It reminds me of the turning bitch, who I can also make switch directions at will by looking at her foot.

Edited by Pixel

RE the cat, I do think there is something going on with her diet. I basically think she wasn't being fed enough. I also think she was very stressed, being moved around a lot or left in difficult situations while her person traveled for work. He loves her a lot, but his situation was very difficult and now that she's been here a couple of weeks, she's seeming so much more relaxed, and she's put on a few ounces already.

The dress confounds me! I finally saw a picture that looked blue and black to me. On the very same page, there is another picture that looks gold and white. I can't make any of them switch. Having said all that, I want to also say that I like the dress, either way! Nice dress! My compliments to the designer!

I don't have any relatives who moved to Texas to avoid snow. My family is full of people who've made a lot of mistakes, but they can't be blamed for climate change, at least. Damning with faint praise here....

I am open to moving, though. I don't know where I want to be, but I've decided I might be open to a radical change of venue. I just feel kind of stale in my life right now, and I am particularly unsure if I want to keep living somewhere the land costs so much per acre (limiting my ability to buy any) and the winters are hard/growing season is short. I like the change of seasons, but maybe a slightly shorter winter would be appealing. I dunno. Not making any actual plans to move, but no longer feel attached the way I used to, to this part of the world. Thanks snow! After 49 years, the honeymoon is finally over! I want to start seeing other regions!

There are some articles about the dress where they are showing two different pictures, adjusted in different ways, so everyone would see white and gold with one picture and blue and black with the other. That might be the sort of thing you're looking at, possibilities.

So, remember when I was like "ha! I'm never moving to Florida because gators are freaking scary!" well.. today I found this

So.. now I have something worse to be scared about in Florida :P

• Love 1

Because everyone is super interested in my career choices, here's a story. 

Yesterday, I received the "official" offer papers from HR and was given a salary. I sent it back asking for 5% more than what they initially offered me. I feel that this is what I'm worth, Leaning In, Don't Sell Yourself Short, blah blah fishcakes. 

Anyway, I called my dad to tell him and he FREAKED OUT. He's all, "Well, let's hope you still have a job offer after that stunt!" 

What?

Normal people negotiate when they get a new job, right? I'm not going crazy? The HR guy was not at all phased by my counter and promised to get back to me ASAP. I mean, I'm taking the job either way, but the worst that can happen is that they say, "No, we're firm at X" and then I accept the original offer. They're not going to pull the job from me, right? 

I never negotiated at my first job out of college and I feel like I've been underpaid for the last 10 years. 

Ugh. STRESS.

Fitbit tells me I was restless 57 times last night and woke up 8 times. I KNOW THAT FITBIT! It's because I was second guessing myself all night! 

Dammit!

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I've negotiated salary with almost every job, but it's all private sector. Your new job is government (if I remember?) so I'm not sure if there is a different protocol? But, I don't think you did anything terrible otherwise- Lean in! But not too far.

ps- I've had my fitbit 10 months now. Don't those numbers not compute sometimes? Those 'restless' numbers. And, I know there are some slight inclines around my house, but it's not hilly. Sometimes it says I've done 12 or so "stairs" and I just can't agree with that unless I've done some time in a parking garage staircase.  I wonder if the fitbit needs a reboot.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Yes, I've negotiated salary with almost every job, but it's all private sector. Your new job is government (if I remember?) so I'm not sure if there is a different protocol? But, I don't think you did anything terrible otherwise- Lean in! But not too far.

ps- I've had my fitbit 10 months now. Don't those numbers not compute sometimes? Those 'restless' numbers. And, I know there are some slight inclines around my house, but it's not hilly. Sometimes it says I've done 12 or so "stairs" and I just can't agree with that unless I've done some time in a parking garage staircase.  I wonder if the fitbit needs a reboot.

Yeah - there's still a range for the position, you know, so I figured it was fair. Plus I asked a few other government/tech friends and they agreed.

But my mom and dad were SHOCKED that I would not just take what I was offered. It this a generation thing? 

Also, if you know a way to reboot the fitbit, let me know. Mine's going on a year and is acting kind of funky. If this one dies I think I might get the clip on kind instead of the bracelet kind. 

• Love 1
But my mom and dad were SHOCKED that I would not just take what I was offered. It this a generation thing? 

Not sure if it's generational or if they just never did it, so they think it's "rude" or something. My experience has always been to ask for more. I end up doing my job extremely well. One job, in negotiating, the guy "couldn't" offer me the difference in salary, but if "I worked out" he'd reconsider. Three months later- boom, I got that 'raise.'  I think you did the right thing.

• Love 2

I think you did the right thing too, Glory. I expect the worst that could happen is they say, "I'm sorry, but that's the salary," but then at least they know that you're looking for an increase sooner rather than later. Maybe they'd re-evaluate salary at 6 months rather than 1 year, for example.

Normal people negotiate when they get a new job, right?

Yes, they do.  I negotiated for the current job I have and was just sick about it after asking (and vaguely spooked that they'd just pull the offer), but they came with an increase so it worked out.  As others have said, most likely the worse they can say is "sorry, $X is the salary for this role".

Keep us posted!

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks, all! Hoping to hear back today!

Anyone going to watch American Crime tonight? I'm still deciding. 

EDITED: They met me at 4%!! I'm so stoked that it worked out. I've never negotiated a job before. Now I have to resign my current position. Hold me!

Edited by Glory
  • Love 7

Knowing Glory (er, I mean, Slayer O'Dragons) she'll mess up the resignation.  They'll come back with "how about a 7% raise?" and she'll be SHOCKED. They just don't do that! right?  By the way, you should tell us how the results of your negotiation is received by your parents.

I may be living in a hellhole (™Spinal Tap) but I didn't even know about American Crime. I've been spending most of the last few weeks catching up on The Americans. (good show!) I'm not a "binge-watcher" so the two seasons plus has taken me a bit to view - I'm almost caught up to 'real time' and may dare traipse into the thread soon to see the chatter.

Anyhow, I may DVR American Crime just to catch later.

• Love 1

Well... I'm getting a 30% increase at the new job. So, not just my dream job but life altering amounts of money are on the table.

That was only a slight exaggeration. Seriously, though, thank you all for listening to my saga. I'm so incredibly happy right now. I can't stand it.

Start day is March 30th. I'll turn in my resignation next week. Ahhh!

• Love 4

WooHoo! Congrats! Glory to Glory!

I read a book about negotiating for things like salary increases, specifically geared towards women. Apparently, there is a significant percentage of employers who respond differently to a woman negotiating than a man, but there are ways to adjust your approach to overcome that prejudice. The book was called "Ask For It" by Linda Babcock. It basically takes you step by step through assessing your bargaining position and forming a strategy.

• Love 1

YAY Glory, good work! I got a 20% increase with my last job but wish I'd asked for a bit more.. the job is not quite what they advertised :P

In regards to the 'losing' company offering more money, most people will say not to take the offer regardless of what it is.

Good luck with the resignation :)

• Love 1

The scotch is still sitting unopened. My husband is about to murder me, I think. I have passed the background check and my drug test is scheduled for early next week. 

I plan on giving my notice on Wednesday! That's probably when I'll crack it open. Though it is so, so, pretty... I'm afraid once I start drinking it my regular Dewar's will never be the same. 

• Love 2
(edited)
I got a 20% increase with my last job but wish I'd asked for a bit more.. the job is not quite what they advertised

You can always ask for a review and increase after you've been there six months or a year-- especially if you can point out that it has different responsibilities than advertized, and that you are rising to the occasion and doing a great job etc etc.

RE: "GOT HAM" it reminds me of the SNL joke about how that show "Go On" was "Goon"-- I still think that's funny, long after the show itself went off the air (and I kind of liked the show, so it's just that I like word jokes, nothing more).

Did anyone watch American Crime? I was going to, based on Felicity Huffman being in it. I was thinking that she is great and tends to take great roles, but then I remembered she was in Desperate Housewives and I decided I wasn't up for another crime show right now. But if it was good, maybe I will backtrack.

I keep saying I'm going to watch less TV. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep saying it....

Python eating an alligator is mighty.

I'm finally getting a new bed on Monday. I'm excited. The one that collapsed a few weeks ago has been on cinder blocks while this project was in the works. I'll be glad to be done with that. I'm sure the new frame won't look like anything special to anyone else, but it's exactly what I wanted: made of poplar, with a small footboard so my futon won't slide off the bottom if I elevate the head (good for GERD) and built extra-strong so it can hold the weight not only of my fat self but also an equally fat partner at the same time, should I have a super-sized girlfriend in the future. All the legs are adjustable height because the floor is not level (200 year old house), so it will be easy to balance it properly, and not have to deal with cobbled-together shims like I was doing before. All my other furniture is cheap crap, or second-hand in need of refurbishing, so this is my big indulgence.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

I could ask for more, but I'm in a 12 month non ongoing role, so it's probably something I'll ask for if I'm extended/apply for the role again. My department is going through a consolidation with another department and it's likely my current role won't exist in a few months so I'll hopefully move into something different and can negotiate later :)

• Love 1

Hooray Glory! Now fingers crossed for me, I've got my follow up interview for a new job on Tuesday.

And, its official, I'm headed to Paris in June. I'm gonna see Nadal on clay before his knees give out. (oh, and there is apparently other cool stuff to do and see in Paris, so I'll be doing some of that too. Versailles is top of the list.) but tickets for the French go on sale Wednesday. Vamos!

• Love 4

Fingers crossed, sacrebleu!

I fucking hate DST. Getting up this morning was torture. It's going to take me at least a full 5 days to feel adjusted to this nonsense. Ugh. 

On a brighter note, I went to Eataly this weekend. Holy crap! I didn't want to leave. So much amazing food. I need to go back right now, pretty much! So much of it reminded me of my childhood and my grandparents. It was really fun. 

• Love 1

Ugh, Daylight Savings Time.  Did anyone see John Oliver's take on it on yesterday's Last Week Tonight?  It was just starting to get light when I left for work in the morning, and now it will be dark again, for at least 3 weeks.  

In addition, winter has returned; it's supposed to get below zero at night later this week.  It will be sunny, but I preferred the warm weather we had last week, even if it was raining. 

Wait, is Eataly a restaurant or a grocery store?

ETA: Oh, I see. It's not a restaurant. That place looks worth a trip down to check out!

Edited by Pixel

Ya know I bet that ITALY is probably a good place to get food. Perhaps better than EATALY. (There are plans for an Eataly Los Angeles, so I will check it out... TWO YEARS from now.)

Anybody here use Yelp? I literally tried a new-ish type italian/ pizza place, and they said "if you like it, say so on yelp." I'm more a "if I come back, I like it" type of guy.

Okay so my TV habits lately:

* I completely caught up via amazon, and the S3 six eps on my dvr, and really enjoy The Americans. Anyone else here into it?

* Very much enjoying The Last Man on Earth so far. (I like Bob's Burgers, but Kristen Schaal's voice sometimes grates.)

* Bummed to see the last of Parks and Recreation. But I bought "MouseRat" and "You had me at meat tornado" t-shirts in consolation recently.

* I am succumbing to netflix streaming, to start watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. (I hate how streaming looks on my kick-ass mega TV, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. Americans via amazon, I kept wondering if shots were in focus.)

While on netflix I will definitely get back into Lilyhammer... someone loaned me the dvd to S1 and I guess they are adamant about never making dvds of the last two seasons. (FU Netflix!)  And maybe Orange is the New Black?

Wait, is Eataly a restaurant or a grocery store?

ETA: Oh, I see. It's not a restaurant. That place looks worth a trip down to check out!

It's both!! There are like little food courtish areas and a restaurant. It's amazing. I wanted to eat all the things.

I am succumbing to netflix streaming, to start watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

"Kimmy" is funny-- but be forewarned-- that theme song is an insidious ear worm, I watched the whole season over this past weekend, and hearing that thing a dozen times really got it stuck in my head. ("ooooooo...DAMMIT")

Well... I resigned. My boss called me tremendous and said I would be hard to replace. He said he was sorry he couldn't do more for me to make me stay but he completely understood why I was leaving. That was very nice of him.

It went well. 

Now I'm terrified! 8 years at the same place is hard to shake. 

• Love 3

I just want to know how that scotch is, Glory/ SlayerODragons.  Now, are you taking any time off between last day/ first day new job?

And yes- 8 years at one job!  If it was your first job that is a long time. My first three jobs:  3.5 yrs/ 3.5 yrs / 2 years to the DAY.  

BTW, that "two years to the day" job: was at a company with an actual HR department. I will never forget how heartbroken the HR woman was in my "outgoing" interview that my last day on the job (July 25, 1997) was the anniversary of when I was hired (July 25 1995.) She was so sad. I was like "I'm okay about this, really." **

UKS, I watched the first two episodes. I like it so far.  And I figure I will bit the bullet and watch OITNB after I'm done with Kimmie.

**eta: of course, once she pointed out the dates, it's been ingrained in my head ever since. I never would have remembered.

Edited by King of Birds

I've been at my current (also first) job for almost 9 years now. I think it's likely but not definite that I'll stay here for my entire career. If a position opens up at the school in the town where I live I will almost certainly apply, since that is a) a good school, and b) a few blocks from my house. Some of the other towns that are closer to where I live and that are good schools and would probably be good places to teach have freshmen take physics, and that's not something I'd be really into.

But I mostly really like where I work and I feel very comfortable here and the thought of going somewhere else and being the new person and likely having to really change the way I do things...eh, it's not that appealing. 

(edited)

It's actually my second job. My new job is going back to my first ever job right after college. 

Peeing in a cup is the most awful thing ever. I get severe bladder shyness and then it ramps my anxiety up to 100 just thinking about having to do it. I had to have my drug screen today and it was awful. Here's your TMI - I thought I had what was a respectable amount of pee. It was not. So I had to sit and wait until I could go again. Except, I had been chugging water all day so I DID have to go... I was just nervous and couldn't. 

Bah. I eventually finished the test. But it's so awful. I will willingly give you blood and hair and a cheek swab if I never have to do that again. 

The Scotch is still unopened. Maybe tonight... KoB hates this. Don't you? 

My last day here is the 25th and then new job starts the 30th so I'll have a four day weekend to refresh before I start new job. 

Edited by Glory
  • Love 2

I used to job hop every year, but I'm about to have my 8 year anniversary at my current place, and will probably retire from here when the time comes, so another 20 years.  There was a time that would have sounded like forever. Not so much anymore.

"I thought I had what was a respectable amount of pee. It was not."

The Scotch is still unopened. Maybe tonight... KoB hates this. Don't you? 

First line: Man, if this site allowed quotes for posters (like on the bottom of your posts) your pee line would HAVE to be your quote.

And, no, not bothered by the dry county situation you're in. I feel sorry for Guts!

• Love 2