Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two General Discussion

Hoonah forecast for Thursday...............    high of 43, low of 38.

There are so many directions of wrong about that. 10 when I gt up this morning and up to 15 or so now. The good news is that the overworked plumber seems to have taken pity on me (if I were more of a cynic I'd say he wants my money...) and says he's sending someone over with mega heaters to start the basement/crawlspace thaw and will be here himself 'soon' to get things fixed, replace broken pipes and what not. from his lips to god's ears.

Ridgey, I'm thinking that, as we saw, the saran didn't really work so I'm suggesting that we upgrade to bubble wrap. It's double layers of plastic and much better insulation for these cold days. Who can get a mega roll?

And fuggeddabout it Clod--that trapper's hat is staying in Jersey with me, darnit!

There are so many directions of wrong about that. 10 when I gt up this morning and up to 15 or so now. The good news is that the overworked plumber seems to have taken pity on me (if I were more of a cynic I'd say he wants my money...) and says he's sending someone over with mega heaters to start the basement/crawlspace thaw and will be here himself 'soon' to get things fixed, replace broken pipes and what not. from his lips to god's ears.

Ridgey, I'm thinking that, as we saw, the saran didn't really work so I'm suggesting that we upgrade to bubble wrap. It's double layers of plastic and much better insulation for these cold days. Who can get a mega roll?

And fuggeddabout it Clod--that trapper's hat is staying in Jersey with me, darnit!

Are they even IN Alaska? I wonder. They could just as well be in WA or another state or someone's ranch, with stock footage of AK landmarks and towns thrown in. Its all so faked they could never really prove it to me.

Ridgey, I'm thinking that, as we saw, the saran didn't really work so I'm suggesting that we upgrade to bubble wrap.

problem with that is, these bush people have not seen bubble wrap before.    if we send too much of it, they will be so fascinated with popping the bubbles that they won't finish laying up firewood, storing food, building a house, etc.      they will bail out on the whole thing when snow falls.  (again)   ..........   end of the show, because of bubble wrap popping.

KnvNauz.png

Are they even IN Alaska? I wonder. They could just as well be in WA or another state or someone's ranch, with stock footage of AK landmarks and towns thrown in. Its all so faked they could never really prove it to me.

guns, camo, ........   are you suggesting Duck Dynasty is behind all of this?

• Love 2

problem with that is, these bush people have not seen bubble wrap before.    if we send too much of it, they will be so fascinated with popping the bubbles that they won't finish laying up firewood, storing food, building a house, etc.      they will bail out on the whole thing when snow falls.  (again)   ..........   end of the show, because of bubble wrap popping.

KnvNauz.png

guns, camo, ........   are you suggesting Duck Dynasty is behind all of this?

LOL. Send a case of Duct Tape too, think what they could do with that, build some hammocks to put in the bubble wrap huts.

. Oooooo The suspense is killing me..waiting for the Browns is like the countdown to the ball dropping! LOL

I know--I feel so....dirty....

Good point. Personally I vote for Vancouver--the union rates for film crews are lower in Canada. No slight to our Northern Neighbors; I spent every summer of my life at the grandparents place in Ontario. Canada--terrific place.

Bubblewrap...yuuuummmmmmm. Hey, just had a thought; think bubblewrap popping might have been those 'gunshots' which drove them away from last years started too late and ran away from may have really been the neighbors popping their wrap?

• Love 1

You know, not having been raised around people, the popping of the bubble wrap might be too loud for their sensitive hearing, which is more attenuated to living as a wolf pack in the bush.  Billy might have to scratch his nose with a nicotine-stained finger so the whole family knows to back away from this new-age stuff.

You know, not having been raised around people, the popping of the bubble wrap might be too loud for their sensitive hearing, which is more attenuated to living as a wolf pack in the bush.

Could be but it seems to me that, having been raised in the bush, away from such new age stuff like bubble wrap and potato chips, they may just assume it's really a tool of Satan.

Retardation Factor:

Bear Semi

Gabe Full On With R***** strength.

Matt Semi

Bamm Full On Future Serial Killer.

Noah Full On also Future Serial Killer.

Billy Full On Cult leader

Mother Full On walking abscess

Snow Girl Semi

Rain Kid Only Hope she escapes.

You guys it was NEAGATIVE 4 when I left for work yesterday. And that was without the windchill! Tomorrow it's going to be 31 and that sounds like paradise! 

jbobchuck, I totally agree that Bam is going to be a full on serial killer. Or he will just snap, leave the bush, and maybe live a normal life writing books about how he was brainwashed most of his life and never saw or used a microwave until he escaped. And then there will be an awesome Lifetime movie about it. 

Good ideas on the bubble wrap guys.....But, Clod....we will be the ones living in the bubble wrap huts!!!! We are going to travel to each forum folk's house and do there fixing up! Anything that may be broken or need repairs. We're all gonna travel caravan style. We're gonna take our pioneer tools with us, and barter for anything we need from the time we leave out, til we reach Beden's frozen pipes, to the repairs of each our homesteads. Crazycatchic, you, jbobchuck, Lemur, xls, Slasherboy, everyone (you know who you are), and myself included. We're gonna live in these huts to keep from putting each of the others out. Also no unnecessary clutter to try and keep up with! No parkas, or pesky winter wear. No deodorant, no shampoos, or anything else that might stifle our BOs! A bar of soap and a nice chilled gallon jug of water (we'll each be allowed a gallon a day) and that should take care of the cleansing we'll each need. Lol but that first initial frozen morning layer goes over our heads..BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA if it's good enough for Bill Brown & family...we can do it!!!! Ok now, everyone don't try to load up all at once. And, No pushing! Ok where are we heading 1st? Ooooooo just 3 more hours, til my twisted sense of needing them in my life to complete me, is filled!

pop some online bubble wrap now!

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml

Sounded like the neighbors shooting at me!

Good ideas on the bubble wrap guys.....But, Clod....we will be the ones living in the bubble wrap huts!!!! We are going to travel to each forum folk's house and do there fixing up! Anything that may be broken or need repairs. We're all gonna travel caravan style. We're gonna take our pioneer tools with us, and barter for anything we need from the time we leave out, til we reach Beden's frozen pipes, to the repairs of each our homesteads. Crazycatchic, you, jbobchuck, Lemur, xls, Slasherboy, everyone (you know who you are), and myself included. We're gonna live in these huts to keep from putting each of the others out. Also no unnecessary clutter to try and keep up with! No parkas, or pesky winter wear. No deodorant, no shampoos, or anything else that might stifle our BOs! A bar of soap and a nice chilled gallon jug of water (we'll each be allowed a gallon a day) and that should take care of the cleansing we'll each need. Lol but that first initial frozen morning layer goes over our heads..BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA if it's good enough for Bill Brown & family...we can do it!!!! Ok now, everyone don't try to load up all at once. And, No pushing! Ok where are we heading 1st? Ooooooo just 3 more hours, til my twisted sense of needing them in my life to complete me, is filled!

How we gonna watch Chitty, chitty bang bang with no lectricty or one of those confounding VRS chines? 

U see the tiny little TV sets the movie camera mens all carry in their pockets?

Edited by xls

Fear not Xls......"KENNY" from from the junk yard will have us the hookup, as far as the tv goes. Did you see the piece of technology that Matt rolled to the bottom of the mountain of trash, he was perched upon. He said it "rattled a bit." Plus if all else fails the single guys in our caravan can do a little shakety shake for the older lady who got the load of wood in Hoonah and who tore up a little "Pulp Fiction " jig with Gabe. Yep I'm not above pimping you guys out. But, fear not, Xls, I'll br the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie, just for you!

Darn you Clod.....I been popping bubble wrap for hours!!!!

• Love 1

Well..my goodness.

I watched the last episode (stay tuned for the rest of the season 'coming in the spring') and just, well, oh my goodness. After weeks and weeks seeing them spin their wheels, piss away day after day doing god knows what with their time--all right, I know; they were building trapper shacks, outhouses, dribble showers, losing crab pots being rescued, hitting on the local maidens, killing the local fauna, climbing trees, splitting firewood, swimming in freezing water wearing their only clothing, eating pizza and generally having a high old bush time. So, in fifteen minutes they get the flooring installed, the walls up, hauled the main roof beam into place (800 pounds, dammit--800!!!), morphed two tiny windows into ten, dealt with the snow, insulated the walls with 7,000 recycled cardboard boxes and probably scheduled a hoe-down with previously mentioned maidens. All without down jackets or anything else even close to being appropriate. And just as an aside--my own dumpling son managed to break his right hand and was out of work for 2 months while it healed. Glassblower that he is, he needs to use fine motor skills for his job. Matt, manly man that he is, just tied a stick around his fingers and off he went. I should mention this to my babyboy next time.

All that was missing was the barn raising scene from Seven Brides (a great scene, BTW).

Just, well, oh my goodness. And nary a scrap of bubble wrap to be seen anywhere--maybe in the spring?

As to the above comment wondering about their religion; while I genuinely don't care about anyone's religious choices as it being none of my business (aside from  fanatics who I think often need to get a life), I suspect generic christian--all those references to 'the good lord' reminds me of my grandfather who would often refer to 'the man upstairs'. Said beloved g'father was--as am I--a huge believer in the principle he ingrained in me of a simple--to quote one of Papa's favorite and oft repeated sayings; 'you go to your church and I'll go to mine'. Live and let live and all of that. It makes life easier. Having said that, I also suspect that they tend to lean to the thought that everything happens for a reason, the good lord provides and helps those who help themselves--hence all the surface self-sufficiancy while also scamming the state of Alaska for that resident's payout they didn't qualify for, leaving messes behind for others to clean up, cheerfully cashing/banking those checks from the production company while they let the local crew build the house for them which they'll likely never really live in--the help and house the good lord provided, if you will.

And no, I'm not interested in this turning into a discussion on religion...snarking on the Brown's is much more fun.

And just FYI,the heat is back on, the plumbers have left (nice fellows, hard workers but they were here for way longer than any of us would have preferred) and all that's left to do is wait for the electricians to retrieve their mega heaters used to thaw the pipes, remove their wiring and then for me to reorganize the chaos left behind and write a huge check. I've been unable to use my work room (yes, I work from home) so I can get orders out. Heaving a sigh of relief in Jersey. 12 when I woke this morning (in my own bed and no longer on the living room couch to take advantage of the fireplace heat--dog and cat squeezed on the couch with me--no, not all that comfortable, thank you), snow and sleet predicted for this afternoon into tonight. Again. Quick--grab the bubblewrap.

Forget it Clod-that rabbit trappers hat stays here, dammit.

Edited by Beden

Where do I begin?  I guess here...

1) They left their ONLY saw on the ground overnight when a storm blew in.  Really?  What are these people?  Animals?  So, presumably, they "worked" on the house the night before, they literally threw down their implements, and ran to bed.  No thought of the storm that was laying 3-4 inches of snow right outside the shack overnight?  Or Right On Top of Bear, as the case may be?

2) Bear seriously slept-on while 3-4 inches of snow were falling on him and his sleeping bag, because he slept on the floor of the house?  He woke up and put SNOW on his face?  ACK!  

3) Forget about all that…..after only a couple of them dealt with the finger injury (WHERE WAS AMI?  Grabbing some coffee at Starbucks?)….they were able to, readily, put together the sides of the house and pop them up?  Mr. Eme and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes.  Come on!  Yes, it is fake, but does it have to be so SMUGLY FAKE?  They cannot get together some rudimentary steps, yet they were able to nail together  2x4's perfectly and have them in place in record time?  While I have zip knowledge of these people, I am going to go out on the same limb that Gabe went out on, and call FAKE on all that.  Ridiculous.  

4) Grampa Brown giving us lectures about how "independent" they are and how the "do not rely on anyone but themselves." or some such crap.  Really?  

5) Granted, we are going on this ride with them, they are folk who plan to live off the land, WHY ONLY ONE SAW?  Why no nail machine?  They know that they HAVE to construct many houses/shacks/outhouses yet, they share a saw and use hammers for the nails?  How much time is wasted there?  I guess since they also know that a CONSTRUCTION CREW is going to be doing the work, they really DON'T need this stuff, but as a viewer, it irks me.  

6) Ami.  She appears to be completely useless. She pops up periodically and makes a statement.  Yawn.  Why do we not see her rushing around the campsite constructing something, doing something helpful?  She's usually seen coming out of the shack, after being called by one of the men to see something.  OK.  She is pointless.  

7) Also from Chicago, and seeing them race around in their THIN leather jackets is just so frustrating.  Seriously?  Why they are not all in bed with pneumonia is beyond me.  Gabe with his wifebeater is just too much.  I just can't stop thinking how much they must SMELL.  And how they don't have enough water.  And WHY didn't they take the dishes with them to wash when they went to town that one time to get bottles of water in town?  They were just going to go back to the bush and USE that water up on the dishes.  So yeah, have they not one full brain collectively? (And then Grampa Brown sticks his head out of the tent to SURPRISE see all this snow on the ground and his hair is WET, so I am guessing they sneaked up on the tent after a full breakfast and shower at their hotel to surprise us all with their wonderment of where the tools were?) 

8) If they are SO STARVED, why take Gabe out again to shoot a deer?  They need to leave him to WORK ON THE HOUSE and take the gal who shoots well.  It just makes sense.  OK, NOTHING here makes sense - I get that, even though I fight against it intellectually.  

9) There are so many levels on which I hate this show and the fact that they have all of these grown men and their futures look bleak to me because they seem to keep restarting at ZERO every time they follow their father on his lame-brained schemes, yet, I can't look away.  

8) If they are SO STARVED, why take Gabe out again to shoot a deer?  They need to leave him to WORK ON THE HOUSE and take the gal who shoots well.  It just makes sense.  OK, NOTHING here makes sense - I get that, even though I fight against it intellectually.  .  

And why shoot a single deer - they need food now and they need to dry food to "last" through the winter.  So instead of taking their quota (if there even is one) they have the meat from one deer; which is going to last that family how long exactly?  For that matter why aren't they catching fish which can also be salted and dried for long term storage.

Still trying to figure out why we had to follow the kids to town to watch them eat pizza but they let a chance for drama and a very special episode go by with no filming of Billy and Ami's trip to town when he was sick.  Bubble wrap in the town dump is a riveting story line but family patriarch could be dying and they don't even send along a guy with a go-pro?  Nope, nothing suspicious or fake there.

The best part from last night though was the family touring the finished cabin - look at the floor when they walk in, totally clean boards not a spot on them.  Perhaps as though, oh I don't know maybe a construction crew with booties had been working on it instead of the lost boys stomping in and out all day.  Because two minutes later when they had walked around the place - floor is completely dirty, can't see the wood just brown muddy foot prints from wall to wall.   I can't stand it, I need to know - How and Why was that floor so clean to start?   Second question is why do you call a cabin with no door safe from bears?

Edited by sigmaforce86

Alright Beden that's it you're writing a book and we're calling it, "The Rants of a Jersey Woman!" And I say "we" cause, this is the only out, I can see, to me becoming rich.

Awwwww that's nights episode....I love how the snow was there for the roof shots, and the erection of that 800 lb hand smasher. But, gone while they were swinging on the outside walls. If I'm not mistaken winter gets colder as it progresses, AND the further North ya get, the more true that becomes. Right? And I agree with the religion thing. You don't talk politics or religion. I'm not a human judge, and certainly no spiritual one. But, Christians, should act, "Christ like." Christ never sinned....now, we're human and this isn't expected from us. But, lying and cheating are big no-nos. It's also frowned upon to hide behind the cloak of God. Just using it when it's convenient. Saying "we're Christians" sounds much more appealing to the majority of the United States, than, "we're a cult!"

Even with all this being said......you think if we rallied we could make them start showing the second half of the episodes?

The book shall be a collaborative effort or nothing, dangit..talking to you Miss Ridgey.

Yep, also noticed that the boys left all their half assed tools out to be lost under the snow, Wait, that's not correct--they left their brand new, barely been used and fresh from Home Depot tools out to be lost under the snow. Morons. And Billy didn't mention to put the tools away; natch they don't have an, oh, I don't know, maybe a tool shed, do they? A nail gun needs an air compressor-at least pretty sure it does. 'Never used one myself but I've seen them enough and the compressor would, I presume, need to be powered by a generator--which they have from the mega barter. Assuming they still have the damn thing, anyway.

Ah, the walk through of the empty house, minus a door. The house of cardboard--a nice rustic touch, that. Just curious, did anyone see what they used on the roof--asphalt shingles? Tin to let the snow slide off? Tar paper even? Maybe they could use the bubble wrap for the nonexistent door. Mayhaps they could use the oil drum wood stove to heat the place? Will we ever see the upstairs? Will Ami ever get a kitchen to cook up the deer bits? Plus they had that smoker which looked big enough to smoke one or two ducks or maybe a couple of fish but a deer? 'Doubt it.

Good point Sigma--if Billy really was sick, possibly even with something which could become life threatening why skip that? God knows they built an episode around Rain's toothache leading to the mega barter. Odd choice and makes one wonder what was really happening with that.

The house--I keep coming back to it. The idiot boys under dad's direction can't even set a crab pot without screwing it up--we're supposed to buy that they could actually produce what was clearly a structure put up by people who knew what they were doing? I know the producers count on the public being stupid but seriously? Trusting is one thing, brain dead is another.

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA that's my girl, Beden!!!! My lil' money maker in progress. And yes a compressor has to have a little juice to work properly, LOL! I'm telling you ol Rainy is gonna find herself on the receiving end of a horrible hatcheting! If they ever really sit down and think about what she's costed them, and all the attention that's been given to her while they've all riveted in pain, yeah, it's gonna be..."oh gee whiz! Has anyone seen Rain?" And as they all "pretend" to jump up in a panic, running screaming, searching, the dreaded, "Oh no! Winnie the Pooh had eaten our little Rain Drop!" I say b

Oooooooo kids guess what I just saw after watching the episode again....(as I'll do a few more times, I'm sure) Ami had a bruise on her cheek...much like the one I had after a tooth extraction. So Beden you predicted it, and sure enough she's had them worked on in Hoonah, probably. It's near the end of the episode where she's standing outside, saying she didn't think they'd make it. It's after they walked into their cardboard covered, dream house.

Do lumberyards make tin? Nope, didn't think so. However, contractors can get it by the boat loads. Plus, the time frames in between construction is a good stretch. Producers probably bringing them out every couple of weeks to nail a board or two on.

But, as much as I enjoy finding the clogged festering holes in their stories.....I love watching the story, itself, SO MUCH MORE!!!!! Mr. Cupcakes!!!!!! Is it own yet? The narrator said faster than you can say Mr. Cupcakes they'd be back on......is it on yet? Mr. Cupcakes! How about now?!!!????

Beden next time the son breaks anything...#1)a stick. #2)twine. #3)deer fur. #3)extra large over sized strong brother to break the stick, for the perfect length on the splint.

Fear not Xls......"KENNY" from from the junk yard will have us the hookup, as far as the tv goes. Did you see the piece of technology that Matt rolled to the bottom of the mountain of trash, he was perched upon. He said it "rattled a bit." Plus if all else fails the single guys in our caravan can do a little shakety shake for the older lady who got the load of wood in Hoonah and who tore up a little "Pulp Fiction " jig with Gabe. Yep I'm not above pimping you guys out. But, fear not, Xls, I'll br the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie, just for you!

Darn you Clod.....I been popping bubble wrap for hours!!!!

It's my favorite. I don't like those newfangled Transformation or that Big Boat sinking movie that run 3 ers!

Think we can haul some lumber with no gloves on again? Then I'm gonna climb a tree and howl like a woof!

Edited by xls

Ah, the no gloves things. Yep--call me a princess (but not to my face, bitches or I'll clock you) even I have a pair of heavy work gloves I use to load the wood cart, stack the wood piles and such things. Splinters can hurt, so can catching tossed logs. They also add, call me silly, warmth on a cold day. And I'm a lady who's never had a mani or pedi and who once got dressed to go out fancy only to have the little dumpling look at me and comment 'you don't care what you look like, do you?' Tell me again why I love my son. And idiot boy (that would be my son) managed to break his hand when he, while having a particularly bad day which included being bitten by neighbors aggressive german shepard, vented by punching a phone pole. I asked him why he didn't punch the damn dog and I'm an animal lover. Actually those now long gone neighbors remind me of the Browns. Three people signed  a lease for a place in the apartment building where my lad and his girlfriend lived, over a dozen moved in + nasty dog, never paid rent, had to be evicted. Grifters.

Sometimes it would be so much easier to just sit and watch the Alaskan Trainwreck, not thinking, accepting it as presented but then I realize that I just...can't. It's just so, so---it's just so BS that it makes my brain hurt (but in an oddly good way).

Snowed here again. Yet another day when it will be me and my shovels and snowthrower.

So this mess was filmed months ago--does anyone have any updates as to what's going on in Browntown at this writing? I'm dying to know.

This show is always strong with the delusion but Noah's comments about being the Da Vinci of his age blew me away. I guess he could be considered a genius when compared to his brother who builds a house out of Saran Wrap IN ALASKA but that's a pretty low bar. Building a smoker out of a file cabinet and a stereo speaker is not mind blowing repurposing. Plus, that speaker is made out of pressed wood. Way to mix in some nice chemicals with your natural smoke. And where did all these extra items come from? Did they really have room on the Lorcan to bring a massive stereo speaker? And one that's broken to boot! I guess they didn't need that limited space on the boat for things like canned/preserved food.

This show is more and more like Gilligan's Island. Billy is the Skipper, Noah is the Professor (who can make a radio out of a coconut), Ami is the bush version of Ginger-abscess teeth and all.

Beden next time the son breaks anything...#1)a stick. #2)twine. #3)deer fur. #3)extra large over sized strong brother to break the stick, for the perfect length on the splint.

Sadly he's an only child but does have 6'5" twin cousins who went to college on athletic scholarships. We could call in Teeny and Tiny, I happen to have a spool of suede thong and I'd gladly donate a piece of kindling and part of that deceased and frozen squirrel currently encased in ice in my back yard--the fur is probably preserved.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I bet that might do the trick, Beden! Awesome to have Teeny and Tiny to fall back on. If they're busy, I have two boys. The oldet is 6'2, 210lbs, and wears a size 14 shoe. The younger man/mutant comes in at a whopping 6'1, 250, and wears a 15. So if the frozen squirrel in your back yard has 200 or so brothers, sisters, cousins, or other kindred to meet his unlucky demise, save them as well. I can make a pair of moccasins for my two bohemians.

Now Xls, I didn't know their was any other way to dig into a nice lumber pile, except without gloves. I also thought it fitting to give you a new improved nickname, since we'll be playing "all around the doe doe bush" I'm thinking, "X-treme!" And after I help with the lumber with no gloves on, you can call me, "you're fingernails are flipped over backwards, you should have been wearing gloves." Yep, it's enough to make your unmentionables pucker, but, that's what would happen if I decided to work with wood, of any sorts, without wearing gloves. I learned this lesson early. Fairly young, as we all were needed to help gather firewood for our winters. I know, I know, prepping is for pansies. But, my dad made us.

I was chuckling myself, Swedee! I also chuckled, when gaining back Gabe's confidence, overrode getting the house finished. I mean, we can't have the talents of our oversized muscle head, who does exquisite Sean Connery impersonations, feeling inferior. Or, that he's let our starving family down. By what? By missing a shot at such a close distance that he could have jumped on top of the deer. We don't want that. Let's take him out even though, Billy himself keeps pointing behind the first layer of trees, and repeats on a daily basis, "Winter is right there." As if snow clouds are hovering just above the trees, and doing a spiteful jig whilst sticking two thumbs, into two cloud ears, flapping four big fluffy cloud fingers and stinking out it's cloudy tongue at Billy. Yes, my friends.

Next on "the moron checklist," Let's just go out and depend on Gabe to shoot a deer, at 10x the range he missed the first one. He needs that confidence back. Let's also stick a chainsaw in his clutched hands, after he bound it up less that a week ago. So, that he can chance binding it up again." Yep, because with that snow cloud dancing just over the treetops, we've got time to chop, what's left to do on the house, with an ax.

Edited by Ridgerunner

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I bet that might do the trick, Beden! Awesome to have Teeny and Tiny to fall back on. If they're busy, I have two boys. The oldet is 6'2, 210lbs, and wears a size 14 shoe. The younger man/mutant comes in at a whopping 6'1, 250, and wears a 15. So if the frozen squirrel in your back yard has 200 or so brothers, sisters, cousins, or other kindred to meet his unlucky demise, save them as well. I can make a pair of moccasins for my two bohemians.

Now Xls, I didn't know their was any other way to dig into a nice lumber pile, except without gloves. I also thought it fitting to give you a new improved nickname, since we'll be playing "all around the doe doe bush" I'm thinking, "X-treme!" And after I help with the lumber with no gloves on, you can call me, "you're fingernails are flipped over backwards, you should have been wearing gloves." Yep, it's enough to make your unmentionables pucker, but, that's what would happen if I decided to work with wood, of any sorts, without wearing gloves. I learned this lesson early. Fairly young, as we all were needed to help gather firewood for our winters. I know, I know, prepping is for pansies. But, my dad made us.

I was chuckling myself, Swedee! I also chuckled, when gaining back Gabe's confidence, overrode getting the house finished. I mean, we can't have the talents of our oversized muscle head, who does exquisite Sean Connery impersonations, feeling inferior. Or, that he's let our starving family down. By what? By missing a shot at such a close distance that he could have jumped on top of the deer. We don't want that. Let's take him out even though, Billy himself keeps ponting behind the first layer of trees, and repeats on a daily basis, "Winter is right there." As if snow clouds are hovering just above the trees, and doing a spiteful jig whilst sticking two thumbs, into two cloud ears, flapping four big fluffy cloud fingers and stinking out it's cloudy tongue out at Billy. Yes, my friends. Let's just go out and depend on Gabe to shoot a deer, at 10x the range he missed the first one. He needs that confidence back. Let's also stick a chainsaw in his clutched hands, after he bound it up less that a week ago. So, that he can chance binding it up again. Yep, because with that snow cloud dancing just over the treetops, we've got time to chop, what's left to do on the house, with an ax.

Just jump on the the deer and punch it like a fish-no prob!

(X-treme L-umber S-linger)

Edited by xls

How much does discovery pay the brown family on Alaskan bush people?

Jonah Husgen

Answered Last

Including all shows and all family members, the estimated income is $50K per show

^This what I found. It was on the Discovery Channel's page. Don't know why it didn't copy the address!

Xls, my dad and his uncle, had a lumber company, but, that's back when they had a team of horses doing the majority of the work. But, I'd be right there working, to this day, if they still had it.

• Love 1

$50K per season? That's not terrible, not great but better than a sharp stick in the eye (as my old daddy would say). Add to that the $ they score from the undoubted added sales of their books due to the show's publicity and profile + the Alaskan payouts (forget what they're actually called--sorry) and that's assuming they've spent enough time in Alaska to qualify--at roughly $1,800 per person that's another $16K. Okay, that would be gross, not net but still, not bad for people who disdain money and prefer barter.

Let's just go out and depend on Gabe to shoot a deer, at 10x the range he missed the first one. He needs that confidence back. Let's also stick a chainsaw in his clutched hands, after he bound it up less that a week ago. So, that he can chance binding it up again.

That's something else which I was wondering about (dear god--why do I keep overthinking this???) If we're to believe that the Brown Boys have been doing this bush thing their whole lives, wouldn't you think that they'd be better at hunting and using things like chain saws? Okay, anyone can have an off day and make a mistake but seriously. I mean, seriously. Saran warp houses??? When they supposedly have a real house to build? Okay, we know that was BS but...seriously??? Gabe binds up the only chainsaw and then is so spooked he announces he's not touching it again?

And that unending squabbling between the brothers--methinks that bodes of larger problems. Maybe, just maybe, they're all in on the reality show scam and are getting tired of playacting? That raft, which seemed like it could carry 4-5 planks each trip--really? Where's that stockpile of gas cans for the outboard? I can't help but wonder what the good people of Hoonan think about this travesty, thought they're undoubtedly happy about the work for the local construction people, the lodgings rentals, the extra meals at the pizza place and all of that.

And Ridgey--good your baby boy stopped foot growing at 14--the largest size generally available without special orders (sorry about size 15 lad). Teenty and Tiny (aka Itsy and Bitsy--I literally fit in their armpits, I'm all of 5' even) are both 14's.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

This has been bothering me since Friday.  Clearly there was lighting of some sort in the new cabin.  Where is that coming from?  Did they ever get a generator?  If so, what's powering it?  Also .... did they cardboard over the wiring for said lighting?  I guess that'll make it easier to burn the cabin down when they've had enough of "living in the bush" and need to get back to civilization.

5' even, really? You're so little! I'm sorry, I've just had you pegged as this Calamity Jane, rootin tootin, "mess with this bull, get the horns," kinda gal! Not that you can't be at 5' but, you're talking to a 5'10, Amazon. Not the pretty Amazonian, like Wonder Woman, either. I mean I've dreamed of being little and petite! I'm a strange woman....I used to feel great collecting all the blue ribbons on field day, at school. Strutting around, running faster than the boys, and the girls....HA Ha...they were no match for me. But, nobody told me that guys, (or girls for that matter), like a) a bragger b) a strutter c) a sheltered child raised back in a mountain that ran around like a banshee. My kids laugh hysterically, at my school pictures!!! Ahhhhhh the joys of being a child and having children. And the ordering shoes is true and a pain, because the hubby wears a 16. I've thought many times about buying a small herd of cattle just to make the boys shoes, and I told my husband he could make a couple slits in the backs of two cows and just wear them like that. Cheaper than what the stitching would cost, and the hernias we'd get from lifting the brogans.

I'm sure you noticed that Billy, during the construction of the cabin, kept saying, "I don't know how many houses we've built? But, we learn by messing up." Ok, in that case, they should be geniuses, (well everyone besides Noah=self proclaimed genius) and this house should have been standing, finished inside, and out, and furnished! I agree Beden, to many people are wondering about the boys, for them not to have a spin-off show. I'm going to find that article again. I read on another site it was 50k each. But I'll link it when I find it again. I was sure I copied it like the other articles I found. Technology is not my strong suit, LOL!

Edited by Ridgerunner

Lemur they did indeed get a generator but, I'm guessing it went down with the ship, in Ketchakan. Now, since "everyone has a generator in the bush".....or..... "would leave a chainsaw laying, and grab the generator, if they had to choose." You would've thought that same person would grab that generator as the ship was sinking, since it meant so much. But, nope! He left that laying to grab a deer call he had made over 30 years, ago.

It's humorous to watch it all now just to pick apart the stories they've told. It's like a scab, the more you pick, the bigger it gets. Ooooo or like Matt said when Rainy was picking at his bubble pad.

I think the compassion that I feel, is for the kids. And it comes from being a mom. It's like I said before, it's one thing to tell your kids to go experience life. It's another when the parents themselves aren't stable in the world. These parents are more dependent on the children, than the other way around.

I also noticed the light in the house.   that wasn't a candle lantern.   :)      it made a good picture from outside at dusk, with the windows lit up.

I thought the old generator was lost at sea.    wasn't that part of the storyline, that the family lost everything?

Edited by clod

The frame of the house looked so neat and flush. I'm no expert, but don't they need some kind of blueprint or at least a plan with measurements so everything fits together?

Yeah, theres an invisible construction crew and then dico throws in a few shots of them hammering nails.

In the meantime I'm going to construct a canoe out of duct tape and build a shelter out of actual Lincoln Logs-I'll need a lot of them.

This has been bothering me since Friday.  Clearly there was lighting of some sort in the new cabin.  Where is that coming from?

My guess is that it came from the camera crew...of course Bear may have simply made a fire for heat/cooking/light and it was out of frame. Of course that would explain why the cabin is burned to the ground when we get to Season Part 2 (when, oh when????)

But Xls, they did have a plan--I distinctly saw a scribbled sketch (which doesn't look anything like the finished product) Billy showed Ami to make her proud. Okay, so maybe the local crew had their own ideas and thought that maybe the house should be square and plumb but you know how it is if you don't clear workers through Angie's List...

Generator, yeppers. I assume it went down with the ship while they weren't on board. I forget where they were, but weren't they off doing something and came back to see it laying on the bottom? Is that boat still there blocking that dock? And my old grandpappy always insisted that once a motor was submerged it never worked right again, no matter what you did to it. Of course, maybe the construction crew left them a genny as a thank you/house warming gift for the extra paychecks and unexpected work.

Five foot nothing, that's me. I suspect I make up for it with personality (be that good or bad, god knows). I used to be 5'1" but time seems to have taken it's toll. Even my dumpling son used to pat me on the head, saying 'my little mommy...' My big bro is a foot taller, my ex was 6'2". My sister in law is 6'4", though she only admits to 6'2". The twins are 6' 5". I feel like a dwarf when with everyone and clearly take after the other side of the family. On the bright side, everyone on my side of the fam all seem to live to at least 90 and my dad's first admittance to a hospital was when he was 85--I'll take it, given a choice. And Ridgey, my Amazonian friend (and I'm sure you make Diana Prince look like a troll and athletic is a good and enviable thing, missy!), while I obviously don't have a problem with clothing being highwater, I rarely can buy jeans without having to take up the hem and--honest to god--have found that pants labeled 'capri length' fit me perfectly as standard slacks. Petite sizes don't seem to be cut right for my bod, alas.

I think the compassion that I feel, is for the kids. And it comes from being a mom. It's like I said before, it's one thing to tell your kids to go experience life. It's another when the parents themselves aren't stable in the world. These parents are more dependent on the children, than the other way around.

I'm on your side with this, Ridgey. I feel badly for the kids-and I use the word loosely as these people are all, aside from the baby, adults or would be were they allowed to be. Plus, the kids seem unable or unwilling to break out of the expected family mold/unit and seem lost if separated from the whole. Sort of like the Borg...Granted we see a scripted, edited version of their lives (which we know is BS) but they do seem socially awkward and backward and this is not a good thing and doesn't bode well for any future outside of the family bubble. The jokes about their personal hygiene, constant, crude comments about wanting to find girls, awkward interactions when they try to engage with anyone outside the family circle, the sketchy educations--at least they can read and do basic math. They may have a basic knowledge of Byron but supposedly have never heard of any current culture later than maybe 1970. It's entirely possible that the kids are actually just fine, though it seems that they're so tied to the family unit and have been drilled into the knowledge that the parents are dependent on them, expect them to stay as a unit to produce grandbabies and expand Browntown...well... Sure, it could all be scripted crap which the grifting family sees as an easy way to score some money and publicity but it could be at least partly true.

They need Timothy Treadwell out there to teach them how to deal with the bears " oh wait, Treadwell was consumed by his bear friends". Maybe the Kilcher's would come over and help the Brown's - LOL. Or how about Tony Beets drops in and tells them all what f-ING idiots they are.

• Love 1

That's true Beden about the 70s and current culture. If you watch Bam's YouTube videos (and there's not many), he has taken pictures, then put them into a slide show. But, if you watch it, it's has a 1970s "down with the MAN" kind of feel to it. I guess, is the way to at it. After I watched it, it's like he's a mad hippie, who knows his time to be drafted is just a sniff away. The pictures were taken during their road trip to launch Billy's book. But, the music he added to it....blahhhhhh! He's just an angry young man. That's why I've always joked and said he'd be the one to snap on them.

Why oh why when their dad gets sick do they keep saying, "we're down like three men, dad counts for three." OMG! Really? Be it scripted or whatever, I'd have to look at the producer and say, "ummmmm yeah this comment, about dad counting for three..........uhhhhhhhh yeah, just nahhhh. We may prove our ignorance in many MANY ways, but that-that's stretching it even for us!"

Beden, my David amongst the Goliaths......I'm getting a petition together just for you!!!!! Capris are going to become pants and jeans. No more labels. What's in a word? Anywhere you shop in Jersey, the only words that will be spoken in your presence is LONG, LENTHENING, AND TALL. I'll see to it!

I believe it's been previously posted here that the homestead isn't as far out in the boonies as is being hyped but about 1/2 an hour or so from that fishing village. Anyone who's reasonably fit and used to paddling wouldn't have a big problem with making that trip, especially if several people were manning the paddles and that water looked pretty calm. My old grandparents summer place was 3 1/2 miles by water (no roads, the house was on an island) from the local village and we would make the trip almost daily in said 1/2 hour using power boats.

But seriously--has anyone heard when the second part of the season is scheduled to air? I'm starting to dread Friday, all alone, no Bam, no Gabe, no Ami's teeth...

Oh Beden I'm with you! A dread! To think this is hump day, and nothing....no cloud fingers flapping, no snow covered chainsaws, no sweaty Saran Wrap, with Matt's grubby little body slipping out, of his secret side door. It was more like a magical mouth the bubble house had. And used to spit him out. No more, "Snowbird gets a deer call for her birthday. How about some teeth. The right side of her mouth looks like she tried to eat a clarinet," as quoted from jbobchuck. But, I will not let you down, in your hour of need, Beden. I'll search

Friggers I been going on sight after sight and all I could fine was Discovery paid them for 29 episodes from the beginning (first cabin with pissed off neighbors) to the ones to come in the spring. I took a breather ate some supper and hitting the technology trail, once again. the curiosity is killing me and I'm hoping to find something else that goes more in depth, with other details. Money, what their going to do after the spring episodes. Discovery could just play us the episodes. Bastards!!!