Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two General Discussion

before I forget,......... 

they wanted a raft to carry their lumber.    what could they use to make a raft to carry lumber?  

do you think they even considered making the raft out of the lumber?  

or,......don't use a raft  -   tow the boards like they did the pilings.    could probably tow ten at a  time with that skiff.

(yeah, I know it's SO unlikely they moved all the house lumber themselves)

but  !    the whole raft-making-lumber-moving storyline  occupied a big chunk of an episode,  so it served that purpose well.

----------------------

btw,  what is the heat source for that house?     I predict a nicely made fireplace AND a woodstove will  appear.

cardboard, eh?     wanna bet there is standard insulation behind that cardboard?     maybe even paneling.     however, seeing insulation or  paneling would stretch credibility a little.   :)     so we saw cardboard.   

at the end, he was telling her it took 35 years, but here is the house.     why did it take him 35 years to get her a house in the country?

Edited by clod

Ah my Clod-as always you hit the proverbial nail(s) on the head.

Heat in the house. Mayhaps they can move the 55 gal drum wood stove from the tent inside. Cardboard insulation won't, IMO, do diddlysquat against the subzero temps on the horizon in Browntown and I speak as someone who went through what's been called the coldest week for my area in several decades minus my furnace (though with my woodstove, thank god). When you can see your breath inside it's just too damn cold. Heat now restored and working better than ever.

And, also IMO, that house will never be actually lived in full time by the Browns but may serve as a set for the show for a while then likely revert to either being sold or simply used as a vacation place for the Brown kids.

Moving that lumber 4 boards at a time. Beyond stupid. Obviously the work barge was just out of camera range, just like the local crew of carpenters who really built the house.

35 years to build Ami her house? Why? Billy said it himself; they'd built more houses than he could count and got better with each one, learning from their mistakes. They learned that they suck at building houses and so scammed a film company to hire workers for them to build the thing. But just BTW, I gotta admit that some of those Brownboys had some impressive guns and I'm not talking Smith and Wesson (sic).

It's Friday...and I feel so alone.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

Matt stole all the Saran wrap from Dexter. How is Gabe getting his steroids? Bamm is about to go postal somewhere. Not long before Bamm knocks up the oldest sister. Bamm is definitely a freak. Noah is a pathetic loser. You can't help but like Matt. Bear is operating on little to no intellect at all. The mother is an old bar hag.

Matt stole all the Saran wrap from Dexter. How is Gabe getting his steroids? Bamm is about to go postal somewhere. Not long before Bamm knocks up the oldest sister. Bamm is definitely a freak. Noah is a pathetic loser. You can't help but like Matt. Bear is operating on little to no intellect at all. The mother is an old bar hag.

Oh crap. Looks like Bear did my last post. REAllY EXTREME. Or as Bear said once "Really Extremely...

I wonder if they read this shit and laugh?

• Love 1

I know it's still winter but I swear I hear crickets chirping here in Browntown. Anyone have a lead on when/if we'll see the second part of the season? Anyone have any idea what happened to the indictments about the Alaskan payout problem involving most of the family? I've looked and so far, nada.

I feel so adrift...

just finished a late night viewing of their 4th of July special.   really surprised that it was on tv at 3 AM  without being on the schedule or being mentioned in the previews.

they ended up sitting on a log in the woods again.  this time there was a light snow falling while they were saying how great this is, and how it felt like the 4th of July.    they had bartered for some sparklers and firecrackers.    the sparklers were lit in bush fashion - they ran the chainsaw till it got really hot, then held the sparklers against the muffler to ignite them.   somebody (couldn't tell who, they were off camera and the chainsaw was running)  said    "We can light the firecrackers the same way."     but a couple of the others said the sparklers could be used to light the firecrackers.   so that's what they did.

and I was glad to see that most of them were wearing hats while sitting around with snow falling on them.   two of them even had parkas on!

kidding.     happy Bush 4th to everyone!      :)

fbWO1bN.png

and I was glad to see that most of them were wearing hats while sitting around with snow falling on them.   two of them even had parkas on!

And they say and old dog can't learn new tricks....

watched part of a repeat of the last episode.   thought I would share these snarklets before I forget it all.

after thinking it over for about one minute, I decided that the building of the house was so fake that I don't even need to pretend any of this is reality.    full speed snarking!

unlikely that the guys who struggled to make a raft could make those perfect-looking framed walls with window frames.  seeing all of them stand up the frames did make for a nice video shot, though.

all the lumber got moved somehow.   magic.

the roof -  it just appeared.   what was it made of, who put the roof on?   magic.     for liability reasons, I would guess that Discovery paid builders to do the roof.    don't really want the middle son bouncing around on a partially finished roof like it was a trampoline.

--------------------------------------

they went hunting.   one wore a white/gray colored plaid shirt.   the other wore a black leather jacket.     no camo?    something green?   something brown?        do real bush hunters avoid camo?  we find it useful down here in the lower 48.

the dad made a short interview segment where he explained about gabe missing the deer when they were cluster-hunting in an earlier episode.    he said the scope was not calibrated, so Gabe had to use iron sights.    I suppose he said "calibrated" for the tv audience.    regular hunters and shooters say "sighted in".

iron sights are obscured when a  scope is in standard  mounts.   there is a special kind of scope mount that allows iron sight use, but that's not what was being used.    so Gabe faked using sights, and missed the deer.   why didn't he let someone else take the shot?

they were supposedly short of food, so they needed some deer meat.   what do they do?   they stalk deer by walking around in a large cluster, then let the guy with no functional sights take the shot.   right.

it would not surprise me if the explanation about the scope was added because internet people noticed that the scope covers were still 'on' while Gabe was shooting.      :)

why are they not eating fish / going fishing?  

if a chainsaw is so important, they need two.

a couple extra scenes in the repeat show!

extra scene:    trying to stay warm in the tent ......... they wore sock caps in the tent !!!!!!     but when he sticks his head out of the tent next morning to see all the snow........  no sock cap.

got snow shovel?  it's Alaska.   get a snow shovel.    could have shoveled the snow off the floor before continuing the construction work.    

When the show returns, I expect to see............................... furniture !       like magic.

Ah, Clod, so many plot boners that one wonders why the Browns didn't get some insulating moss to plug the holes.

I also wondered why they didn't simply move the snow off the flooring--less wet, less slippery and so much easier to work on. Also, walked on snow often compacts into ice, making everything so much...icier. And whyohwhy didn't they tarp over the piles of lumber? You know--prevent the planks from freezing together, keep them dry (wet wood can rot, warp and all kinds of things you don't want it to do). Maybe put a ground sheet down inside the tent and trappers cabin? Maybe? Seriously, they were using body heat to heat the tent? Seriously? If these idiots are to the tundra born, would one think that they might have thought to bring either a wood stove or the raw makings for one just as a matter of course? Maybe? Two chain saws? Good thought and maybe even include some spare parts, an extra chain or two and the like. And hey, while we're at it,, maybe don't leave the damn tools out on the ground to get buried in snow. Y'think? Maybe use one of those plastic totes as a tool crib? P'raps?

Dumb and dumber. I simply can't wait, am on baited hooks for the continuation of the season. Oh, and the furniture? Easy-peasy--the boys cab chainsaw up some rough benches and a table which they can use moss to clean.

I shake my head as to why I love this so...(of course, it's the snark we all come to this site for!)

• Love 2

This show is such a pile of crap, but I can't help watching it.  (sigh)  The scenery is awesome.  Fun memories of a cruise 25 yrs ago.

The never-ending string of calamities of their own making have been well discussed here.

For a "tribe" who has supposedly lived out in the bush together for 30 odd years, they don't seem very good at it.

For a "tribe" who has supposedly lived out in the bush together for 30 odd years, they don't seem very good at it.

Ah, but they seem to be damn good at grifting. They've managed to squeeze a probably halfway decent income from the production company filming and then selling this steaming pile while getting said company to put them up in an apartment or house or something in town while a paid for crew does the real building for them. They likely got most, if not all, of the materials for the supposed homestead donated and, while supposedly living in the middle of nowhere, are actually living within walking distance of a pizza place. I assume pizza can even be delivered.

Yknow? In a way I'm sort of impressed by the 'barter' they managed to swing all this. I also wonder if/when, like most grifters, they'll finally cross some line, either legal or just by being obnoxious, they'll end up in yet another lawsuit for not fulfilling whatever contract they must have signed. I'm also dying to know how those indictments against them taking the Alaskan payout money under false pretenses.

• Love 1

I caught a couple of eps from the first season last night while dial twisting; they were in a tizzy trying to score lumber for the shack/cabin with winter coming in 5 minutes. Haven't we seen this plot before? I mean stupid is as stupid does but isn't one definition of insanity (or idiocy) doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Start the cabin too late=get caught in an Alaskan winter. Don't take reasonable care of your tools and they don't work. Don't tie up the damn boat, it floats away. Sleep on the ground without heat or proper clothing and you get sick.

Also, regarding wolves; I had a chance to see a tame one a couple of months ago, a beautiful 2 year old female. She was hand raised but caged-one of those showing people the beauty of the animal fund raisers. I quietly looked at her, she quietly regarded at me. I have a smart dog but this wolf--amazing, The intelligence in stance, the thoughts behind her eyes were obvious; she was sizing me up, just taking my measure. Dogs aren't the same thing at all.

(edited)

saw a little bit of a re-run summary show of the first season.

when they are at the dentist's office to get help for Rain, the dad fakes looking uncomfortable when told to fill out the paperwork.  he says bush people aren't comfortable with paperwork.    gee, do you think he has filled out paperwork before in his 50+ years?

wait...........  thats it!     their legal problems with the state (permanent fund payments)  are just due to paperwork!      and you can't blame this bush family for paperwork mistakes.

---------------------------------------

in another part of the re-run summary show, the dad talks about the altercations with the neighbors at the end of the first season.      he said they never came to his house and asked him what he was doing.      reading between the lines a bit, I would guess that he never went to the neighbors to tell them what he was doing.

Edited by clod

Oh man, Clod--blaming the victims, that's what you're doing. I see where this is going. Next you're going to say that those indictments are the result of Bush People unfairly being forced to pay attention to things like calendars, counting days spent in Alaska then having to fill out that pesky paperwork. Next you're going to suggest that, just because they've published a couple of books, maybe had to deal with contracts for this show and allegedly bought property, they should know something about legal forms.

Dang you!

• Love 1

There are a lot of stupid people on here that don't understand what it takes to survive out there or build anything "suburb, city, commuter people" but these kids are so annoying. This FAM is so arrogant and they think thier above everyone.

in another part of the re-run summary show, the dad talks about the altercations with the neighbors at the end of the first season.      he said they never came to his house and asked him what he was doing.      reading between the lines a bit, I would guess that he never went to the neighbors to tell them what he was doing.

The "neighbors" had shown up at the end of S1 and did the old-fashioned house-raising schtick as the snow was falling.  Looked like about 20 people on camera.

Later is when the midnight gunfire happened and they supposedly fled. (to the boat that sank, oy)  All of the locals had to know what they were doing from day one when they bartered for the house lumber at that bar in Chitina.

Seems like some other locals decided the whole thing had to be run off.

So check this out. A guy I know served Gabe and Matt lunch at his restaurant in - wait for it, wait for it, San Diego.

Details, dang it, details! Why? How? When? And were they wearing their pine needle cologne?

Of course the locals knew what was going on what with a film crew there renting rooms or whatever, eating at the local restaurants and generally hanging around town when they weren't actually filming. They would also have to have contracts/agreements/waivers with anyone/place they filmed in--the dentist (wrong season? whatever), the bar, the lumberyard and so on. The depth of the fake just goes on but I'm still dying to see the rest of the interrupted season and hope for season 3 at some point.

• Love 1

Later is when the midnight gunfire happened and they supposedly fled. (to the boat that sank, oy)  All of the locals had to know what they were doing from day one when they bartered for the house lumber at that bar in Chitina.

Seems like some other locals decided the whole thing had to be run off.

According to the local involved, it wasn't gunfire, but rather roman cannons (i.e. fireworks) fired at the helicopter used to get overhead establishing shots:

http://www.adn.com/article/20140531/digging-reality-behind-alaskan-bush-people-claims-gunfire

Donovan's 5 days ago. It's a steak house. They paid with a credit card. They were wearing board shorts and short sleeve collared shirts. They then went surfing with 3 unknown men. Here's the great part, they drove up in a BMW convertible.

There's so many things wrong with the writing and editing. The mothers dental issue just magically goes away. Bear rubs mud all over his body to track deer - then comes back to camp totally clean. The girls in the pizza shop row out to visit the Brown boys? The crab trap magically reappears. The house is built in like 20 minutes. Matt's hand foot and mouth disease goes away in one commercial break. They always have plenty of gas...

• Love 1

Donovan's 5 days ago. It's a steak house. They paid with a credit card. They were wearing board shorts and short sleeve collared shirts. They then went surfing with 3 unknown men. Here's the great part, they drove up in a BMW convertible.

Pretty pricy and fancy place for simple people.

I'm not familiar with Donovan's but the whole thing just makes me so...sad. I can only hope they ordered a heaping pile of deer bits and none of that other stuff like store bought chicken or maybe a beef steak.

These poor, unspoiled people who lived their entire lives in the bush, the kids raised there with simple values, self-reliance, loving nature and finding all their own food from the land and all that just to have it corrupted by the evil, greedy bastards from Hollywood waving their fancy money and cell phones and magic heats-up-your-dinner boxes.

Damn them!

But I'm guessing that surfing in Alaska may take a while to catch on.

Donovan's is pricey. Gabe had an American Express card. Guess he buys a bunch of leather jackets out in the woods. Oh by the way, lunch was with their agent.

Well thank you, jbobchuck. I actually went to Donovan's website to take a look; the menu had no prices listed and I kept thinking 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it', though I'm sure they make a good burger. The layers of fake have just grown exponentially. Surprised? Um...no.

I will watch the rest of the season (should it ever appear) with a more jaded eye than even I generally use. And just BTW, various and seemingly random episodes seem to be on heavy rerun, though I've yet to see anything about when new stuff will show up-if ever. And a thought--if the family doesn't really have an address, SS#'s, bank accounts, credit ratings or any of that mundane stuff, how the frig did they manage an Amex card? Oh, of course, the agent must be their mail drop and has an assistant handle silly things like paying bills (for 10% of the take, natch).

Methinks you're right, Clod. I also wonder why they were in San Diego and so far from their beloved bush. Agent meeting? Okay, sure--but they have these new-fangled things now called telephones, skype, conference calls, e-mails, snail mail, faxes....

I'm also wondering if this mess has been cancelled and the rest of the current season is being held back just to appear at some point as the new, final season. Just wondering. Usually a production company, network or whatever wants people to know when a show is being broadcast and sends out some promos.

Actually I don't doubt that they were in SD or any part of your retelling. No reason why they shouldn't be, especially if they were meeting with an agent or some such. I'm just bemused by the dichotomy between fantasy and reality, such as it is. And, with their reality paychecks, I'm sure they can afford lunch at Donovan's, a cell phone and an afternoon of surfing.

And still wondering when/if we get to see the rest of the season.

So a thought occurred to me; clearly the good folks at Discovery haven't updated their site to let us know when the rest of the season will be aired, neither have there been any announcements on the channel about 'coming soon' or 'tune in next Friday at 9' or any of that. The last ep where the house was finished in a NY minute was odd, to say the least--that could have been drawn out over at least four or five different episodes. Assuming that there's more footage (otherwise why suggest that we should eventually tune in for the rest of the season?) why would they hold it back?

Contract disputes with whomever--the cast? the production crew? the local residents? the state of Alaska, possibly regarding the indictments about the false claims for the residence stipend? whatever production company which did the actual filming and sold the show to Discovery?

Maybe the ratings sucked but, even if they did, why toss the remaining eps if they're already filmed? Why not just run out the season?

I simply find this odd.

(edited)

they might be spacing things out, just in case court issues keep the Browns from filming this summer.    (feels like Christmas in July!)

or they might not want run to new episodes during the trial.   for PR reasons

there was some sort of court interaction today.    it looks like the trial is set for 15 June.

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov

if they wait too long to film season three, we will be faced with another     *** hurry!  it's almost winter! ***   story line.

------------------------------------------------------------------

before I forget, when the son hurt his hand, the dad was saying if it's hurt bad, there's no way to get out of here.

because it snowed ??    how about one of those two boats they have?   

around here, a little snow and an overnight low of 26F  does not freeze the lakes and rivers.   and I'm thinking their water is seawater (freezes at a lower temp), and it moves with the tides.

Edited by clod
(edited)

All good points, as always, Clod. Plus, if the broken hand was really that bad the film crew could, without doubt, have managed to either boat him to medical help or called in a helicopter. My own dumpling son broke his hand last summer, caused him to miss 2 months of work and pay (he's a glass worker, makes high end legal bongs in Colorado, the little scamp). He hauled his broken hand to an ER where it was casted for 6 weeks then another two weeks regaining mobility before he could use it again. 'Just saying that help was obviously available if really needed. And yes, sea water freezes later than fresh and if the tides go in and out in that cove or whatever it is, then a freeze would be even slower to happen.

Court date in June? Yes, that could absolutely potentially mess up any shooting for a possible season 3. Stay tuned, I guess on that score.

I saw a rumor on Facebook that this season may resume April 9th, a Thursday. True? You got me, we're talking Facebook. Maybe, maybe not.

Of course, if season 3 is screwed up because of possible fines/jail time, we could have Alaskan Bush People, the Rebirth with just the unindicted members picking up the pieces--Matt and the girls keeping the bears at bay, insulating the house, putting a door in to replace the tarp, visiting hours in the local jail, hunting, losing and finding the crab pot, feasting on deer bits, reminiscing about the good ole days...

Edited by Beden

Stayed home sick from work and ended up catching a Season 2 marathon (not sure if it was live or on my DVR).

Anyone else notice that whenever "the boys" do manual labor, Noah is nowhere to be found?

Also interesting is that Mr. Mechanical Genius, Davinci of Our Times is tasked with not particularly urgent tasks (hammering flat the traps, the bear cache, etc), but not for urgent-life-or-death things like fixing the chainsaw or the boat engine. He clearly didn't know that 2 pulleys would make his lifting system for the bear cache better. If he did, he would have either used them, or mentioned that he wanted to use a double pulley but didn't have access to one.

He seems like a 12-year old who likes to take things apart, rather than a 22-year old "mechanical genius". I thought it was telling that he couldn't explain his "plan" to Matt when they were supposed to build something together, and he couldn't answer Matt's questions about the flaws in his plan. All he could do is imply that Matt was stupid and walk away in a huff.

Frankly, pretty much everyone seems socially stunted by approximately a decade. Running full steam and climbing every object in sight is something more appropriate for a 17 year old than 27-year old Bear. Bam and Matt bicker like teenagers, not 30-somethings. I really disliked Gabe in Season 1, but he's definitely growing on me. His teeth are crooked (but at least not rotten), but he seems charming and doesn't fight with the others and put them down.

Apparently, Matt spent most of the meal on his CELL PHONE!

saw part of the "Girls of Hoonah"  episode this evening (rerun + a couple added scenes).   during one of the new-added scenes, Matt mentioned he had a phone when he was in Ketchikan.

What state do they all really live in ?  Do you have to have an address and bank account to receive the oil rebates from the state of Alaska ? Obviously they gave some kind of address to receive the checks.

I believe that you're right. Sorry if I caused confusion; the suggestion that Bush People would be back on the 9th was from the often unreliable Facebook.