Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

I vaguely recall Matthew or someone from the show mentioning how Reid somewhat mimicked Gideon's clothing style in the beginning. Brown pants, patterned shirts, etc. I noticed that after Gideon left and Rossi joined, Reid started dressing in nicer clothes. At an online chat with Joe, I brought up that bit about the clothing and asked if he thought Reid was now emulating Rossi to an extent and he basically said yes (can't remember the exact quote). So, we can guess that Rossi inspired him to change his clothing style just a bit.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, zannej said:

I vaguely recall Matthew or someone from the show mentioning how Reid somewhat mimicked Gideon's clothing style in the beginning. Brown pants, patterned shirts, etc. I noticed that after Gideon left and Rossi joined, Reid started dressing in nicer clothes. At an online chat with Joe, I brought up that bit about the clothing and asked if he thought Reid was now emulating Rossi to an extent and he basically said yes (can't remember the exact quote). So, we can guess that Rossi inspired him to change his clothing style just a bit.

The person mentioning that Reid dresses like Gideon was BJ Rogers, in the video "Making of ... season 1". 

About emulating Rossi, I think he had started to change before Rossi arrived, in some of the last episodes in season 1 his style has changed a lot. Though I have to say that in Keeper, there is a moment at the end, when Rossi is telling Reid to go to see his mum, in which they are dressed in a very similar suit and shirt. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, ReidFan said:

so I'm using my energy on a more worthy project........I think.

redtreeJapanpicSmaller.jpg

His hair looks so soft, just like Green Bay Packer Clay Matthews and his spun from sunlight hair. I wonder what hair conditioner these lovely gentlemen use. Then again, they probably don't use heat styling implements like the ladies do. Damn my hot rollers!

And this morning I found some gray hair in my roots. 

This has not been a good week.

• Love 2

So I was planning on originally posting this on the criminal minds subreddit where I feel would've been more appropriate, but for some reason reddit is not letting me post and I've been trying for the past week. I know this topic has already been discussed here, so I am afraid I may be beating a dead horse. But, it took a while to write and I think some people may find it interesting. I hope it isn't too annoying. Also, please keep in mind that I originally wrote this thinking I was going to post it on reddit, so the tone may be a little off. I think the reddit demographic is a bit different then here. So, without further ado, here is what I was originally going to post:

This post is going to be why I think Jeff Davis lied. I do not think Jeff Davis thought Reid was originally bisexual until October 2012 when he thought he would get "brownie points" from his fans for having wanted to have a bisexual character. If you want to know why I think this, read below!

I've been a long time fan of criminal minds, and I have been recently binging on episodes and reading every interview and forum about the show I can find. While doing this I came across an incongruity that has been bothering me. As many of you know, Jeff Davis tweeted in 2012 that he had originally envisioned Reid as bisexual and that his bisexuality was "shut down" by episode 4 with his crush on JJ. When asked to clarify, he said that he knows what bisexual means but that he got "pushback" from TPTB.  There is no canonical evidence of any hint of bisexuality in Reid. Of course, if the tweet is taken at face value, it is clear that the show decided to make him straight by the fourth episode, because if they were on board with him being bisexual his crush on JJ would not have changed anything.

But here's the thing: In an interview with Ed Benero in The Futon Critic during one of the early seasons, Bernero mentions that Jeff Davis hasn't been there since the first month. Benero also says in another interview that he became showrunner as soon as criminal minds(called Quantico at the time) was picked up. This means that Jeff Davis was never showrunner and was never in charge of the show. He is credited with being a co-executive producer during season one because he was a co-executive producer of the pilot. According to the WGA agreement, the show would be required to credit him as co-executive producer  for creating and selling the pilot. I am assuming that since Davis "hasn't been there since the first month", he was only there for the pilot episode. I have the season one DVD commentary, and it says that they had to reshoot some scenes and some other things were edited. So, since Davis was a co-executive producer of that episode, I am assuming they let him be on set for that and then he left the show. Or maybe he left immediately after selling it, I'm not sure.

Now there are two other episodes in season 1 that Jeff Davis is credited for . Compulsion, the second episode, and Derailed, the 9th episode. There is also commentary for the derailed episode in the DVD set and the producers of the show said that they pretty much changed everything from the first draft of the episode. However, they would still have to give Davis credit for the whole episode. Since he wasn't there since the first month, there is no way he was around for the creation of  episode 9. I am also sure that if he was a contributor of the episode he would've done the video commentary for that episode like he did for the pilot. The credited writers did commentary for all the other episodes. I'm am assuming he didn't do the commentary because he wasn't around and the episode was dramatically changed.  I also don't think he was around for episode 2. JJ was added because the network thought they needed more female representation. I do not think the timeline supports the idea that there would have been enough time to decide to add JJ, time for Davis to rewrite the script to include her, and incorporating all the network/studio notes within the limited time he was there. So, I think JJ was probably added after he left the show. Funnily enough, since he was still credited for the episode, he is still credited as "creating" JJ, even though I don't think he ever had anything to do with her. I think he probably sold a few drafts of future episodes/pitches to the show when he was let off, and even though the show changed most of the script/pitch they are still required to give him credit. I read on the screenwriting subreddit that people's scripts have been more than 90% changed and they were still given full credit. I wonder if there could also be something in the WGA agreement that guaranteed Davis credit for at least two more episodes, but that is very speculative of me. 
Of course, I could be wrong but I do not see him being around for much more than the execution of the pilot episode if he was only there within the first month. Drafts have to go through many revisions. The outline/draft has to go to the network, the network gives notes on the episode, the episode is rewritten, the draft goes back once more to the network, and this process continues until all parties are satisfied. It also, however, takes a lot of time. That means that the fourth episode would not have been in the woodworks during the time Davis was there. He also made it seem like "he" was the one getting "pushback" from "TPTB." He was never showrunner of the show once the show was picked up. He was never in charge. Ed Bernero was the one in charge as soon as it was picked up. The tweet made it seem like Davis had authority over the show after the fourth episode, when he likely wasn't even involved at all with the show by that point. Benero said in interviews how it was a unique, very egalitarian environment since the creator of the show left almost immediately. I think since Jeff was a very inexperienced and  novice writer at the time he sold the pilot that the network/studio decided to get more experienced people working on the show and let Davis go. It is pretty common in the TV world.

Jeff Davis also put out these tweets when he was in the midst of the "Sterek" craze. Jeff Davis was the creator and showrunner of the show Teenwolf. "Sterek" is the ship much of the fandom raved over involving two male characters, mostly around the time that Davis made the tweet about Reid. There was a huge push from fans on social media to make Stiles bisexual. Many, many people on social media  were also talking to him  about how they wanted bisexual representation. Davis did say in interviews that maybe he would make Stiles bisexual if there was enough fan support and that they have " been dropping hints" of Stiles potential bisexuality. He said this on October 13, 2012. The tweet about Reid happened during October 2012. Davis also said in an interview in August 2012 that he just learned what "shipping," "canon," and "slash" were. Many fans  also expect Davis to be a champion of LGBT representation on tv, and he seems to like that reputation. Some fans nicknamed him a "God"for being a pillar of social issues on social media around this time. So, my "pet theory" is that Davis made the " Well, I wanted  to make Reid bisexual" tweet up in order to appease all the fans begging him for bisexual representation. The tweet was sent out right in the midst of the heaviest bisexual pleas towards him. I do not think he thought he was going to receive the backlash he did for the tweet (since the first tweet didn't make sense). He also changed a character that was originally a lesbian in Teenwolf to bisexual due to so many fans wanting bisexuality portrayed.I do not mean to slander or harp on Davis, I am sure he just wanted to make his fans happy, and maybe get a few "pats on the back." But, of course, in actuality it made many people angry that a supposedly bisexual character was "denied" by TPTB.

Also, I have recently been researching the tv show making/producing process and I realized that the "creator" of a show doesn't mean that much. To be a creator, you pitch the show and write the pilot. However, during the "pitch" the network/studio oftentimes makes many changes to the show. They will change it as they see fit. They then tell the person who pitched it to write a draft incorporating their ideas. The studio/network then take that rough draft and change it/writes notes and tells the writer to right it again according to their ideas. This goes on many times. Basically, I was very surprised by how collaborative the process was but yet only one person gets credit. Technically, even if a person only writes the first episode and even if that first episode was largely a collaborative process, they will still be credited with creating the series according to WGA regulations. I guess the collaborative process of pilots does make sense though considering how expensive pilot are ( millions usually) and there is no guarantee of the show even being picked up. 

I feel a little ridiculous for all the detail that I went into, but I have seen so many people getting upset that "Reid was originally bisexual until he had a crush on a girl" and saying that it doesn't make sense that that would invalidate his bisexuality. Because they're exactly right, it doesn't make sense. Because I don't think that he was ever seriously bisexual or that Davis ever thought he was bisexual. Of course, nobody can know what was going through Davis's mind when he wrote the pilot, but I do not think he had influence on the show after the pilot that was going to be aired was finished. The timeline just does not make sense.

I am sorry this is so long! It is just something that pops up all the time on criminal minds and Reid threads and it has been bothering me. It's even on his wiki pages. I want to clarify that this is not a post against bisexual or LGBT characters. I think LGBT characters are great. I just don't think that Jeff Davis's words carry much weight. I think he made himself seem like the showrunner of the show when he was not and I think it's likely that he wasn't even involved with the show by the time the show was thinking about the fourth episode. Of course, I do not know the inner workings of criminal minds and this is just based on the interviews and articles about show making that I have read. It is totally possible that Davis was there for the fourth episode, I wasn't there after all. The timeline, however, does make it seem very unlikely to me. :

So, That is what I was planning on posting on reddit. I have to say that I am very worried that this post will come off wrong. I am afraid it seems like I went on some sort of "witch hunt" against bisexuality. I promise, this was not the case. Like I said, I have always been a fan of criminal minds but have just recently explored the "online" world of criminal minds. I also read every interview I could find and got the DVD commentaries. I consumed pretty much all the materials/sources in this post without Davis's tweet in mind. I researched Jeff Davis not looking to find out about any dirt pertaining to the tweet. I did find the Teenwolf drama almost immediately, because it apparently gave him quite the reputation for  "queerbating" on the internet. But It was only a couple weeks ago that I put the two and two together and realized the timeline didn't make sense, and that the time period of the Teenwolf drama and Reid's tweet was probably not a coincidence. People posting about Reid's originally bisexuality is very common on Internet forums, I found, and many people were understandably upset by it. I thought it was a shame that so many people were upset over something that I don't think ever happened. It did bug me that Reid's internet characterization has been effected, but it would've bugged me the same if Davis said Reid was originally going to be a dog-lover  or a an anime fan instead of bisexual. It was the (likely, but not certain) unfactual information that was being spread around that annoyed me and not anything unique to sexuality. But I know that sexuality can be a sensitive topic so I am hoping beyond hope that this does not offend anybody. It is absolutely not my intention. If anything, I hope this brings comfort to the LGBT community that Reid's bisexuality was probably not denied.( since it's likely it never happened in the first place)
I also absolutely do not mean this post as slander against Jeff  Davis. I would imagine it must be incredible pressure to have so many people look up to you for LGBT and social issues rights/representation. I think he only had good intentions. 

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
Typo
  • Love 1

I too have read what Jeff Davis apparently envisioned for the character of Spencer Reid.  I know that MGG sort of blew the original concept of his character out of the water with his audition.  I didn't hear of the notion that Reid was supposed to be bisexual until several years down the line.

For me, personally, I like that Reid likes girls.  I might not have found him so endearing and the subject of such devotion from me if he had been bisexual.  I'm not being discriminating.  Case in point: There is a character on The Walking Dead, which I love, named Aaron, who is written as gay.  I love the character.  He's amazing and awesome and  I like when he's featured.  But he doesn't make me sigh and go "Awwwww" every time he's onscreen, like Spencer does.  Make sense?

As far as Reid is concerned, I can imagine that he doesn't consider gender in his attractions, even though he's attracted to women.  

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Droogie said:

I too have read what Jeff Davis apparently envisioned for the character of Spencer Reid.  I know that MGG sort of blew the original concept of his character out of the water with his audition.  I didn't hear of the notion that Reid was supposed to be bisexual until several years down the line.

For me, personally, I like that Reid likes girls.  I might not have found him so endearing and the subject of such devotion from me if he had been bisexual.  I'm not being discriminating.  Case in point: There is a character on The Walking Dead, which I love, named Aaron, who is written as gay.  I love the character.  He's amazing and awesome and  I like when he's featured.  But he doesn't make me sigh and go "Awwwww" every time he's onscreen, like Spencer does.  Make sense?

As far as Reid is concerned, I can imagine that he doesn't consider gender in his attractions, even though he's attracted to women.  

While I get what you're saying, if Reid had been Bi, he would have, by definition, been into girls. So really, if you're not a girl who likes guys who also like guys as well as girls, in real life, it might put you off. Makes sense. But he'd still like girls.

I don't think they've ever actually ruled out Reid being Bi, to be honest. I mean, it would be a surprise if he showed up with a boyfriend, but he's never actually said he doesn't like boys, as far as I know. He's only been into (maybe) about four girls, if that, in more than a decade. He's clearly a selective guy, but his criteria seems to be quite varied (as written). So it's hard to pinpoint what he goes for. Maeve was superclever, JJ has a big heart, Lila was hot for him and bar-girl (Aubrey?) was... available, I guess? 

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1

If the show actually wanted to make Reid a canon bisexual, I personally don't think it would be hard to do. I am one of those persons who would fully support a canonically bisexual Reid and think it could be well done. Of course it would have to be well written, and I have no faith that any of the current writers could do justice to the storyline. But I fully support the idea.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Lebanna said:

He's only been into (maybe) about four girls, if that, in more than a decade. He's clearly a selective guy, but his criteria seems to be quite varied (as written). So it's hard to pinpoint what he goes for. Maeve was superclever, JJ has a big heart, Lila was hot for him and bar-girl (Aubrey?) was... available, I guess? 

I think the whole thing is that it has been less about what Reid finds attractive than the fact that the writers/producers haven't considered it a necessity to make Reid a mature person with mature desires, preferring to keep him as some sort of asexual robot.  We saw in the first season two instances where he was keenly interested and responsive to women.

Both JJ and Lila were pretty, popular blondes.  His crush on JJ likely came about because she was the first of her "type" to show him kindness.  Lila attacked him but she fit the JJ mold.  Then suddenly, a years-long dry spell until Austin the bartender.  I agree that there was little to show why he was interested in her, other than the fact that she was interested in him.  Then -- nothing, unless we are to believe he was actively dating even though we didn't see it (which I wouldn't buy and doesn't fit his character). Enter Maeve, a storyline I hated for numerous reasons.  But Reid being in love with her without ever having seen her fit his character very well, since by S8 we know the kind of person Spencer is and that he looks with the eyes of his heart.  When Maeve is killed, it makes sense that he would grieve deeply.  We did see him ask Dorian Loker for coffee in S10.  That was a pairing I hoped would go somewhere and, again, fit Reid's character -- Loker wasn't Hollywood pretty but appealed to Spencer, whom we now know responds to a person's personality before looks.

The entire problem with Spencer's love life, in my opinion, is that he has never had one.  It sorta made sense in the first couple of seasons, but canon Reid is now 36-years-old and it's getting ridiculous.  He's obviously beautiful and quite a catch, plus at this point his loneliness/single-ness is a living, breathing entity.  The fact that he has obviously never been in a love relationship makes him stand out in ways that I think Spencer would hate (because he already is different in most every way).

They could at this point still decide he is bisexual but at this late date, I hope they don't. The character is so developed by now that I just think it would ring false.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 5

All I'm saying is that I think Jeff was making it up. I don't think he ever thought Reid was bisexual until he thought his fans would like that he thought that. I think Reid was straight from the beginning.  Of course, if they wanted to make him attracted to men they could do that, since he never explicitly stated his sexuality. But no other character explicitly stated their sexuality either. I think that after 11 years of only showing him attracted to girls ( he has been shown checking them out quite frequently) it really would not make sense to show him attracted to a man. I'm no expert on sexuality, but that would mean that he has been bisexual this entire time, which there is no evidence of. Of course, I'm sure some people "discover" their sexuality later in life, but I don't think that happens to most people. He has never once shown attraction to a man, and has used sex-specifying language before(ie in the fifth episode to morgan, in the episode "Seven Seconds" to the 13 year old boy, and others)But in my above post, I was just trying to show the evidence that I think Jeff was making the bisexual thing up on the spot because he thought his fans would like it.

Reid has also shown that women can have a pretty big influence over him. He was baited with the promise of the prettiest girl in school and then tied to a goal post. He was once again baited by a crush and was humiliated again by having his shirt taken off and people laughing at him ( the story he told Blake in Zugzwang). Lila caused him to act very unprofessionally for a few moments. And this man has a 189 IQ. Basically, the pull that a beautiful woman can have on him has been established. 

I also think this is why it was possible for him to fall in love with maeve over the phone. His interest in pretty woman has hurt him in the past. I think the fact that he was finally getting a woman who accepted him, wouldn't make fun of him, and loved him was enough for him even if she wasn't beautiful. I do not think its evidence that he can fall in live with any gender. I think the fact that she was a woman was crucial to him. I think he probably thought she was his only hope of opposite-sex attraction. I don't mean to act like he "settled" for her, and I do think he would place personality above looks. But I don't think placing personality above looks has anything to do with his sexual orientation.

And this is speculation, but do you remember how Reid reacted when it was asked if Maeve may have been in a romantic relationship with a woman in the past? He looked flabbergasted and adamantly denied it. Of course, I think we all know that Reid would be/is fully supportive of bisexual people. But I do think his reaction would've been different if he were bisexual himself. 

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Droogie said:

Droogie, what do you mean by this? I am intrigued:)

51 minutes ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

Droogie, what do you mean by this? I am intrigued:)

Well, it's not very profound and I probably can't get it from my brain into this post well enough for it to make actual sense. :-)

Aaannnnnd I was right.  I typed out a paragraph and realized I don't know what I'm talking about, so I deleted it.  It was totally logical in my mind but I can't explain it.  

Droogie, I would love to hear what you have to say even if it doesn't make perfect sense. It did seem very profound, lol. Do you mean he wouldn't care about gender roles? Or am I totally off base ?

Edited by Haleysgalaxy

Not profound -- just goofy.  Spencer Reid's love life, or lack thereof, is my number-one ongoing beef with CM. 

Spencer just doesn't seem like a person who puts labels on people.  So while he most likely would say he was heterosexual if pressed, and he does indeed show a lot of interest in women, I don't think he'd personally have a big crisis of identity if he found himself suddenly attracted to a man.

...but I don't have any experience in these matters; I just sorta pulled that out of my a$$.

Droogie, I see what you mean. However, I do think it's interesting that they often use sexual labels in profiling. They often discuss the unsub's/victims sexual orientation. So, I'm going to assume that it is a concept that Reid does find useful, at least for some things (not that I think you were implying that he doesn't.) But I definitely agree that he probably doesn't see himself as a "heterosexual,"as much as just a person who happens to like female people. I mean, like you said I think he would say his orientation if asked, but he doesn't spend a lot of time forming an "identity" around it.

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
2 hours ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

All I'm saying is that I think Jeff was making it up. I don't think he ever thought Reid was bisexual until he thought his fans would like that he thought that. I think Reid was straight from the beginning........But in my above post, I was just trying to show the evidence that I think Jeff was making the bisexual thing up on the spot because he thought his fans would like it.

I don't think you can possibly have any evidence of that. Bottom line - he came up with the show and conceived of the characters. Even if he had no further input, he easily could have imagined Reid to be bisexual and in one of the many revisions the network just as easily could have quashed it. And based on CBS's history, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

You can believe he is lying if you want, I just don't think it's possible to prove either way. I don't think anything about the timeline makes it impossible or even unlikely for his statement to be true.

I absolutley have no proof. I just highly doubt he was there by the fourth episode based on what I know about tv show production, and he certainty wasn't showrunner when the show was picked up. Anything beyond that is speculation. I also do not think the show was involved with CBS until after the pilot was picked up. I think the pilot was bought by ABC studios and then CBS "picked up" the pilot, even though I could easily be wrong. It is also unknown how involved Davis was with conceiving the characters. Either way, Jeff Davis certaintly did an amazing job setting the stage for a show focusing on cerebral psychology instead of a typical cop show (well at least in its heyday).  He said in an interview that when he was pitching the show he said something along the lines " Lets do Hitchcock instead of Agitha Christie like most other cop shows." So he definitely created the "concept" of the show, but character developments are often handed over to development teams (even during the pilot stage) from what I've read.

Of course I cannot read Jeff Davis's mind, and I have no idea what his original thoughts on any of the original characters are/were. I apologize if I insinuated I did. But based on the timeline, I just don't think that it went down the way Davis implied it went down based on his tweets.

Oh, and when I said "straight from he beginning" I meant from the time the pilot was picked up. I realized I did not make that clear. I can not even guess at what happened during the creation/draftig process of the script. 

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
9 hours ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

I absolutley have no proof. I just highly doubt he was there by the fourth episode based on what I know about tv show production, and he certainty wasn't showrunner when the show was picked up. Anything beyond that is speculation. I also do not think the show was involved with CBS until after the pilot was picked up. I think the pilot was bought by ABC studios and then CBS "picked up" the pilot, even though I could easily be wrong. It is also unknown how involved Davis was with conceiving the characters. Either way, Jeff Davis certaintly did an amazing job setting the stage for a show focusing on cerebral psychology instead of a typical cop show (well at least in its heyday).  He said in an interview that when he was pitching the show he said something along the lines " Lets do Hitchcock instead of Agitha Christie like most other cop shows." So he definitely created the "concept" of the show, but character developments are often handed over to development teams (even during the pilot stage) from what I've read.

Of course I cannot read Jeff Davis's mind, and I have no idea what his original thoughts on any of the original characters are/were. I apologize if I insinuated I did. But based on the timeline, I just don't think that it went down the way Davis implied it went down based on his tweets.

Oh, and when I said "straight from he beginning" I meant from the time the pilot was picked up. I realized I did not make that clear. I can not even guess at what happened during the creation/draftig process of the script. 

You don't need proof to have an opinion here.

• Love 1

these photos are from his mini vacation with his dad to Colonial Williamsburg last fall, and I think his original post including them mentioned borrowing the get-up from the people at the site.

and, definitely at Williamsburg with the fam again. Picture posted yesterday. And there's a ring on his pinkie. But it's not the same one (I don't think) that he wears when he's directing. I did a zoom in on it, but any more and it just goes all out of focus

15181170_1759878627609401_4719417052353080408_n.jpg

ring close.png

• Love 4

I sent the pic of Daddy Gubler Scary Mofo and one of Matthew's pics from his younger years to my friend Nora. She thought Daddy Gubler made one frightening dude and commented on him being a good sport for helping out his son on Elliott's Pond. She also thought Matthew was adorable as a kid.

Now you know why she's my bestie.

And those specs Matthew is sporting look awfully familiar. I do believe I once saw them on my late grandmother's night stand.

17 minutes ago, Franky said:

They look like the same specs he's always worn, especially when directing. I believe he said they were his grandad's at one point. We know he used to wear his grandad's ties (for Reid), too. 

Another reason to love Matthew; a shared love of vintage things.

• Love 2

Does anyone know exactly which episode is the first episode Reid wears his pistol instead of his Glock? I was watching Zoe's reprise today and he had it, but he was wearing his Glock in Identity, the last time i noticed his gun. I know, I'm not a real fan if I don't know...

1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

I sent the pic of Daddy Gubler Scary Mofo and one of Matthew's pics from his younger years to my friend Nora. She thought Daddy Gubler made one frightening dude and commented on him being a good sport for helping out his son on Elliott's Pond. She also thought Matthew was adorable as a kid.

Now you know why she's my bestie.

And those specs Matthew is sporting look awfully familiar. I do believe I once saw them on my late grandmother's night stand.

Booky, these specs are new, he just got them recently (like this spring) The ones he wore in Season 2 when he had that eye infection were his uncle's, he said. They look similar, but they're slightly different.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, normasm said:

Does anyone know exactly which episode is the first episode Reid wears his pistol instead of his Glock? I was watching Zoe's reprise today and he had it, but he was wearing his Glock in Identity, the last time i noticed his gun. I know, I'm not a real fan if I don't know...

Booky, these specs are new, he just got them recently (like this spring) The ones he wore in Season 2 when he had that eye infection were his uncle's, he said. They look similar, but they're slightly different.

Yep, the frames are different. But they do have a retro vibe I like. I wonder where he got them.

Actually think he's had several pairs of the same/similar style. However many, he sure looks adorable in them. Whenever I write for him, he's always still got his glasses. ;)

Here's a couple pics for comparison:

Older:

NgfVIzb.jpg

2LdDtxO.jpg

And Newer:

kbst6qp.jpg

I just remembered it was Tabula Rasa i saw the Glock in, and that was the one before Lo-Fi, so, yes, it makes sense that we should look at Angel Maker or Paradise, because he didn't have his gun at all in Minimal Loss, did he?

OK then, he has the Glock in Mayhem but the revolver in The Angel Maker - which makes sense. The Angel Maker was the first episode they actually shot in S4 because Mayhem was shot with Lo-Fi , and the Angel Maker is when he had the "nice haircut" that Morgan commented on!

Gosh just watching a bit of Mayhem reminds me of how they used to manage to make your heart race when watching. So sad we never see that suspense any more.

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 4

I'm not a "gun person," just not my thing (other than my hot glue gun, which I use like a bad ass). Though I totally understand why the BAU has them.

But I must mention I do find Dr. Spencer Reid rather fetching with that revolver strapped to his hip.

• Love 3

yeah, guns are not a thing where I live either (must be an American thang)....but I LOL'd my head off at the 'hot glue gun, which I use like a bad ass' cause, well, DITTO. In fact, I burned my first one out and had to get a new one which spurned a whole bunch of gun jokes from my husband (a gun carrying police officer) and my son (a wanna be gun carrying police officer) "Mom? Do they make AK47 glue guns? Cause that's what you need." etc.....

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ReidFan said:

yeah, guns are not a thing where I live either (must be an American thang)....but I LOL'd my head off at the 'hot glue gun, which I use like a bad ass' cause, well, DITTO. In fact, I burned my first one out and had to get a new one which spurned a whole bunch of gun jokes from my husband (a gun carrying police officer) and my son (a wanna be gun carrying police officer) "Mom? Do they make AK47 glue guns? Cause that's what you need." etc.....

This made me giggle. And I once accidentally dropped my hot glue gun on my foot. It did not feel good. And when I am appointed the head of the alternative BAU-Bad Accessories Unit, I will not wear a bullet proof vest. I will wear a cute retro-inspired apron with my sidepiece, my hot glue gun, safely placed in one of the apron's pockets.

On-topic: Is there a reason why Matthew drew hearts around his eyes?

All of you: Does there need to be a reason, Booky? This is Matthew we're talking about.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

But I must mention I do find Dr. Spencer Reid rather fetching with that revolver strapped to his hip.

and, like this, Booky?  (A Christmas edit I did last year)

10SSAMGGXmasPinktreeTXT.jpg

Edited by ReidFan
whoops, screwed up the post
  • Love 5

LOL re: the hearteyes... I just assumed it was his gf, or whomever took the pic.

Also yes I think it was the "pipe cleaner with eyes" guy that said Reid was "begging someone to take it off him" by wearing it where he does. Glad Spencer never listened, I love it there too.

3 minutes ago, senin said:

Early Christmas present?? 

sure :) I did 25 of these for my FB group last year. I'll repost (some of) them here closer to Christmas. Just chose this one because of the hip/gun thing.

43 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

On-topic: Is there a reason why Matthew drew hearts around his eyes?

All of you: Does there need to be a reason, Booky? This is Matthew we're talking about.

Actually that was his post after a long time of not posting (and after the election), he was claiming to have just woken up and asked if he missed anything, and where were his pants?

• Love 1