Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

I put something on Tumblr but I doubt I have enough impact on there for many people to pick it up. It will be such a shame to have an episode without Reid.

I tweeted Criminal Minds CBS. Fat lot of good it will do, but with a #CriminalMinds, at least ppl may see it, and CBS knows that we know.

• Love 3

Welll, it seems like Matthew may be missing episode 10 as well. The costume designer BJ mentioned something about missing Matthew and he hasn't been on set. He missed the table read while he was out on the east coast.

I guess since AJ got maternity leave, it seems Matthew wanted some time off as well (that is the only reason I can think of why he would be missing for pretty much all of October & be so happy).

• Love 2

If MGG's absence is something he wanted and negotiated for (and is happy about), then i have to be glad for him, but it sooooooo does not help this season sustain my interest to have Reid be missing from any episode or to have him only directing one. This feels like the end, although i've said that before. I wish they would go out in glorious fashion, but, so far, nah, ain't happenin.

• Love 5

If MGG's absence is something he wanted and negotiated for (and is happy about), then i have to be glad for him, but it sooooooo does not help this season sustain my interest to have Reid be missing from any episode or to have him only directing one. This feels like the end, although i've said that before. I wish they would go out in glorious fashion, but, so far, nah, ain't happenin.

And if Matthew's absence is something he did want and negotiate I hope it's because something really cool is on the horizon for him like a great movie role or a chance to direct a film (or maybe even both).

I would hate for a character that means so much to us to sputter into nothingness, but I do look forward to Matthew's future projects. 

• Love 4

isn't it entirely possible that he'll actually be in the episode, in the form of a cameo or whatever that they can cut into the final edit before airing, kinda like JJ's phone call to Hotch? Maybe Reid was called away with regards to his mom; perhaps he's injured and left behind or something like that; or they could do a belated hospital bed scene. Whatever! They had to do that when he missed shooting after wrecking his knee too. I'm not convinced that the episodes will be Reidless.... 

• Love 3

I think Matthew said he pretty much only missed one day of work because of his knee-- the day he had his final surgery. He might have been exaggerating, but he was there and this time he was traveling around. He's been to Hawaii, NY, Virginia, NY, and is now back but it seems he's directing a music video for The Killers. He announced that he's churning out more halloween shirts (I think he screen prints them himself), and I think he did some promo stuff for his Band of Robbers movie. He also mentioned an exciting project coming up. Not sure what it is though. Maybe that is what he used as his reason to have time off. I dunno.

Reidfan, its too late for them to add a cameo of him for episode 9 and he was on the east coast the entire duration of its filming. I'm fairly certain there will not be even a cameo. I'm ok with it if its what he wanted, but I will miss Reid in the episodes.

• Love 3

qwerty, Reid did have an alcoholic beverage when he was visiting New Orleans shortly after "Revelations" (I know the name of the episode but my brain is not calling it up right now).

He also drank alcohol with Elle in her hotel room in "Aftermath". I think he only did it to get her to talk to him though. He probably doesn't like to get drunk or doesn't want to get drunk. I'm sure he knows the statistics on all sorts of bad things that could happen when someone gets drunk. I actually think it would make sense for most of the team members to avoid getting drunk since they tend to be on call all the time.

Jones...... and whatever he was drinking was in a beautiful brandy snifter glass.....in Aftermath, they were just guzzling down the little mini bottles from the hotel room minibar. He was also nursing a glass of wine at JJ's & Will's wedding, and another while sitting around a celebration with the rest of the team (I don't recall the occasion or the episode).

Dunno if *Reid* has ever addressed drinking/alcohol on the show, I don't recall so. But Matthew has. He's not much of a drinker, I've seen several photos of him at parties etc where he's holding a wineglass but he's said he'll make one glassful last all night, cause he's just not a fan.

• Love 1

Matthew is definitely a drinker. Not an out of control drunk or anything like that, but he does like to imbibe more than just mere social drinking. Granted, it is not all the time, but more than just nursing a glass of booze all night. He may not be a big wine guy, but he does enjoy other adult beverages.

Reid doesn't seem to like alcohol all that much, though I love to fanwank that he is a wine connoisseur and is very knowledgable about the types of wines and some good wine pairings with food. But that is not based on anything canon, just how I like to picture Reid as a secret sophisticate.  

• Love 4

My post is a bit confusing because I quoted something from the UO thread because I think it was getting off topic but that's actually what we're discussing. rapgodminoh wasn't sure after he drank after Hankle and I was ponting out some post-hankle examples.

Also, is it just me or was it spelled Henkle at some point? But before that it was Hankle again, and then I found out it's Henkle, now it's...Hankle again?

As far as I know, it was always Hankel.

• Love 2

Also, is it just me or was it spelled Henkle at some point? But before that it was Hankle again, and then I found out it's Henkle, now it's...Hankle again?

As secnarf says, it was always Hankel. The other spellings seem to be the creation of fanfic authors, because I've seen both Henkel and Hankle in different stories.

• Love 1

On another site that I don't currently lurk on, I believe. I need to step up my lurking/stalking game. (Edit: lol never mind I found it)

Also, I will happily delete these replies if talking about other forums isn't allowed here. please forgive me mods :(

Edited by rapgodminho
  • Love 1

Maybe we should just make ourselves at home here and put the bad memories of other forums to rest where they belong, in the past.

Reidfan, you are most definitely welcome to like Reid, and any other character on the show, even JJ (!)

• Love 5

Yay!!!

I've been surfing around looking for a non-Facebook related, Reid friendly Criminal Minds forum... Yay! As I was telling someone in PM, I adore all things Reid and/or MGG and couldn't take the hate I was finding elsewhere, I already have my husband for that! ("What's so great about him anyway? He never shuts up!" etc--and he wonders why I watch CM in the backroom with the headphones on and the door closed, away from HIM! LOL)

:::fixes coffee and settles in to reid, er, read the forum:::

• Love 6

oh this is a breath of fresh air too! An admin with a sense of humour!! *warm fuzzies*  and I'm new and not an administrator but I'll admit right upfront that I absolutely SUCK at the use of the ellipses...........   ..............

• Love 6

Welcome! We are a good group and try not to over-moderate. As long as other posters and their opinions are respected you won't have a problem here. We don't stress on grammar too much, unless it makes your post difficult to read or understand. Happy posting!

• Love 4

Reidfan, no, I live in the South US, and I'm most likely older than you, but we can be kindred spirits just fine, O Northern Cousin!

BTW, I have always overused ellipses, but i hope, for the most part, correctly. I just find them expressive and adding a touch of humor at times. But, yeah, like WO said, we're not really grammar nazis around here....

Edited by normasm
  • Love 5

that is sooooo ME!

I belong to a Facebook group where we do a lot of photo editing of Mr Gubler/Spencer... one of my friends posted just The. Most. Fabulous. Image. ever of him yesterday, so I was showing a couple of my coworkers today.....all of us are old enough to be Reid/MGG's mother, but we all fawned like 14 year olds. It was hilarious. Then the department manager came by and asked to see (because my iPhone really isn't supposed to be out in the first place) and she took one look at him and said "Is that your husband?!" The three other women laughed, I managed to blurt out "Oh, I wish. <laugh> Nah, he's an actor." and the boss says "Well I sure wouldn't throw him out of bed for eating crackers!" Then there was a pause. Then she wanted to know who he was. So, Criminal Minds will have a new fan starting tomorrow night apparently.

Edited by ReidFan
  • Love 6

I have a question for those who follow Gubler. Since Reid apparently will be missing the next episodes, he wasn't around when they filmed them, right? Was he involved in another job, and that's because they arranged that planned abscense?

Because if he had another job, well I guess that's great, because for an actor there must be life after CM, but if he just took a holiday, that's anoth story, regarding his role in the show...

• Love 1

I'm not reading too much into it. After being on the show for eleven years, I think he can take some extra time off if he likes- he's earned it.

I agree Matthew has earned some time off, but I'm also hoping he's also working on some really cool non-CM related creative projects. He's very talented and I want him to have a long, productive career.

• Love 2

We know Matthew directed the Christmas video for The Killers, but that took only a few days and it was not done until the last week of October. The rest of the time basically was screw off time from what we can tell. Honestly, if Matthew's absence was only fueled by a desire to play in his favorite month, I am going to give him serious side eye. He already gets two straight months off a year, plus he rarely ever works all eight days per episode. And he is making a ton of money for little work. So yeah, I would be judging him a bit. I would not if he was working steadily through his absence, but he was not.

• Love 2

He did spend a lot of time in hiatus trawling all over Europe promoting the show. Maybe he negotiated some time off for doing that?

Yes, doing the media circuit and PR for the show is definitely part of the job and a lot of work so I don't mind Matthew taking some time off for some fun. But I will miss him in the next few episodes even though Spencer has become a robot who spouts out a bunch of information like he's a Google that talks. I admit I'm shallow and I like to look at Matthew's pretty countenance.

• Love 3

Yes, doing the media circuit and PR for the show is definitely part of the job and a lot of work so I don't mind Matthew taking some time off for some fun. But I will miss him in the next few episodes even though Spencer has become a robot who spouts out a bunch of information like he's a Google that talks. I admit I'm shallow and I like to look at Matthew's pretty countenance.

I won't bother to watch without him. The show's writing has declined so much that it is becoming just another generic procedural so at this point I'm shallow too and just watch for Matthew's gorgeousness.

• Love 3

He was in Europe around two weeks, and he definitely wasn't overwhelmed with work, it was more like a working vacation. Plus he has been to Europe before and two stints in Japan and never requested additional time off. And the summer overseas circuit is something they all do at one point or another and don't get additional vacation time. So I personally would still side eye him if he requested a month off of work.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 2

I have a theory. Maybe I should put it in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. But anyway, I don't see Matthew just asking for a month off, given what we've come to know about his work ethic.

I think instead, TPTB (whom I believe view him as difficult to write for at best, and expendable at worst) asked him to am-scray for a few, so they could emphasize JJ coming back in the fold and still keep the number of profilers to a minimum. In keeping with his apparently-agreeable nature, I believe he was willing to do so. I know I sound paranoid. I am, actually. But this makes sense to me.

In my opinion, I think he would've dialed back the social media accounts of his traipsing around, if he had just asked for and received some crazy-assed month-long vacation in the middle of filming season. It makes more sense, to me, that he decided to make the most of the time and maybe even thumb his nose a bit at the network, for sidelining him, if in fact that is what they did.

It was easy for the writers, who cannot for the lives of all of them write for Reid, to come up with a ridiculous excuse involving his mother, to explain his whereabouts for the next few episodes. His conversation with JJ, plus his actual phone call to his mom, took maybe one minute tops.

Regardless, these writers and show runners should be ashamed of what they've done to the character, and to the show.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4

I know- based on the collective bargaining agreement between our workers and our company- that workers can take four weeks (or a month) off if they've been employed for 10-15 years. So, again, I don't see any foul for Matthew Gray Gubler wanting a month off.

Besides, he could have been legitimately tired out after all that filming, or he could have told the network that, for once, he'd like to have October off. I don't know what his situation is, so I can't comment on whether or not he's being lazy. I'd like to think his dedication to the show after all these years should be reason alone to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 3

Yeah...no, sorry, I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt, and I am a huge Matthew fan. I mean, he gets paid over $100,000 every eight days, and he rarely works all of those eight days in the first place. He gets two months off in the summer to do whatever the hell he wants. And nobody else in the cast is taking a month off of work just for the hell of it. I would have a completely different attitude if he was working on a movie or something big, but he wasn't. And since Reid is pretty much the only thing that keeps me interested in Criminal Minds, I find it even more cringe worthy. I wouldn't have the same attitude if it was anyone else in the cast, because I am not as attached to any of the others. 

• Love 1

Well I'm not leaping to condemn without knowing any of the facts. For all we know there may have been personal reasons why he wanted to spend some time with his father. Or he may have wanted to leave the show and this time off was negotiated to keep him on board for most of the season as CBS must be aware of his popularity. There absolutely must be more of a reason for a workaholic like Matthew to take so much time off than him just fannying around appearing to have a good time.

• Love 7