Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Bad Santa

WendyCR72

When an ER physician is gunned down in the street, Castle and Beckett soon discover that the victim was a mob doctor to a Mafia family run by an old friend of Castle's. Also, against this backdrop of Christmas, Esposito and Lanie reach a defining moment in their relationship.

I mean, clearly that's not going to stick, so ... and given the promos for when it comes back in January, it looks like he's going to earn his place back with the NYPD, and chances are it won't take more than two, maybe three episodes.

Also, if Castle and Beckett are not working together but working together it might revitalize the show a bit. A bit of new mystery, a bit of competition.

I'm actually much more hopeful after the promos than I was when the episode ended.

• Love 4

Urgh! Merry Christmas....

Waaay too much Esplanie, they have zero chemistry together, they've finally broken up now right? I hope it's permanent I can't take any more of this. Why waste so much screen time on them if this is what was going to happen all along? Why not just have a one liner that tells me they decided to end it? They waste valuable time on this show on things I don't give a toss about and skimp on things I do like Castle and Beckett. I swear that story had more screen time than Castle and Beckett's wedding. 

• Love 1

Waaay too much Esplanie, they have zero chemistry together, they've finally broken up now right? I hope it's permanent I can't take any more of this.

I don't think they decided to end being friends with benefits, though, which I guess is fine. Can we get Marisa the transit cop back?

There were some good parts - Beckett and Martha and Alexis, and a nice remembrance of Beckett skipping prom for a poetry slam.

• Love 1

I have now seen more of Lanie's parents then I have of Jim Beckett in about 3 years.  

Cyber Rita is far more interesting than Tory in the few minutes of screen time she had, I wish someone would arrange to get her a job at the 12th.

Marissa can come back too now that Espo is finally free of the Lanie baggage. 

So this episode didn't do much for me, I could have done without the Esplanie, they're like a black hole they suck all the life out of everything and too much Castle off on his own.  I can't say the ending filled me with joy or excitement for the episodes to come. Merry Christmas indeed.

• Love 1

Castle's future - that storyline is not really bugging me. I just can't believe that milestone Esplainie BS I had to watch. I hope they got it out of their systems now and move on. Seriously don't EVER gimme that again !!! I'd rather stick pins and needles where it hurts than watching them again.

Castle is not allowed to work with the NYPD any more due to his mob ties, can't say I'm shocked the warnings from everyone were being hammered home the entire episode it was so obvious what was going to happen. Gates not appearing until the end sealed the deal.  I think the whole idea is silly overall in that creating any kind of separation between Castle and Beckett is asking for trouble as this episode proved. It feels like this was done simply because they wanted to have a cliffhanger over Christmas that they could reverse fairly quickly. I can't say I care how he gets let back into the fold it will happen within a few episodes that much I do know. *shrug*

Not even Kate's Christmas poem at the end there could lighten my disappointment. 

Congrats to whoever called it on the "meet the parents" angle.  

Edited by verdana
Also, if Castle and Beckett are not working together but working together it might revitalize the show a bit. A bit of new mystery, a bit of competition.

If it's only one or two episodes it could be okay.  Them competing could be fun for an episode.  But I don't see how it could really last much longer than that.  The show works best with the two of them together so anything that stops that from happening can't work long term.  

I am glad they had Lanie and Esposito break up, I have been saying for awhile that I don't like having everyone coupled up.  I didn't think they'd have the nerve to do it in the Christmas episode, so I do feel bad for Esplanie shippers (whoever they are).

• Love 2

Well I'm on the West coast, so haven't seen the show yet, but all I can figure is that Castle got run over by a reindeer?

Poor us. This show's fans do not get a break. Why so dysfunctional, PTB?

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

Castle PI? Oh dear.  This looks like it could be silly. But may be in some bizarre way they might just work more together apart than they normally do together - I can vainly hope for that right?

Any signs that Kate has moved any of her belongings into the flat? I would have preferred to have seen some continuity there than the Esplanie yawnfest.

Castle isn't not allowed to work with the NYPD because he knows people in the mob, he's not allowed to work with the NYPD because it was partly his investigation that got the organized crime cop killed. Who wants to take bets on that it wasn't Castle's "family" that killed him and that will play a role in Castle getting to come back? I don't know much about the mob, but from what I've seen in movies they're weirdly honorable. I don't think making Castle a blood brother, congratulating him on the good work, and Castle making a point of insisting that the guy responsible get a fair, legal trial was all for nothing.

I'm torn on if Castle will call in his mob favor for a change to get back in with the NYPD or for help finding whoever snatched him before his wedding.

If it's only one or two episodes it could be okay.  Them competing could be fun for an episode.  But I don't see how it could really last much longer than that.  The show works best with the two of them together so anything that stops that from happening can't work long term.

No, it won't be more than one or two episodes. I don't know that you could happenstance Beckett and Castle "working" the same cases after that. Unless Castle calls himself a PI but just really works with the NYPD anyway.

It could honestly be a more fun version of the DC storyline, if they don't drag it out too long and/or decide this is going to be a forever kind of deal.

• Love 3

I presume that he will tell her what's happened off screen and we will go straight to him being a PI.  I wish they would have given us a moment when he tells her what happened and cut out Esplanie. 

Ryan was funny jumping in with the proposal story, that was the only bit of the whole Esplanie B story I enjoyed.

I guess...I just don't like any Esplanie, it taints everything it touches. Jesus please dear God in heaven let there be no more.  The Creaseys did the best they could I suppose, the case wasn't too bad, I liked Dino but I don't like seeing Castle or Beckett on their own investigating cases, Castle is strictly speaking not a detective and I don't want him to morph into one. 

Wait ... why are people assuming this is all Nathan's idea and/or a ploy to get more time off/less work/less screentime with Stana/the beginning of the end of the series (because it's over this year?)? What if, for just a few episodes at least, Marlowe and/or Amann just wanted to shake things up? I just ... I guess I don't see this as a bad thing, necessarily. I don't want PI Castle to be the new show, but I'm not averse to them playing with things for an episode or two. Don't get me wrong, they could still screw things up. But I just don't see this as the end-all/be-all epic mistake.

Have people forgotten that all the spoilers said the cliffhanger would jeopardize Castle's professional standing in the precinct "for a few episodes"? I mean, of all the alternatives to what could have happened ... I'd rather this than a whole slew of other possibilities.

• Love 9

It may only have a minor moment in the episode but I echo Kate's "really?" (a Stana ad-lib according to Dara) during their visit to the strip club. Seriously writers quit with the tired old routine of Castle eager, slack jawed and oblivious to everything when faced with half naked women that are not Beckett. They've done it before with both of them at various times and I don't see the point. To prove he's all man? That Kate is cool and confident and it's okay to look? Because it's funny?  It adds nothing that's amusing or interesting in terms of their relationship. Stop giving me stupid scenes like this and lets have that time used to further embellish a heartfelt moment between Castle and Beckett. 

• Love 3

Okay, I am putting on the mod hat. PLEASE do not start with the Nathan hates Stana and vice versa stuff inferred with contract stuff. There's no proof of any hate and this NEVER ends well once the innuendo starts.

• Love 11

I have now seen more of Lanie's parents then I have of Jim Beckett in about 3 years. 

This was especially infuriating. I mean, he doesn't even get a line in their WEDDING, but Lanie and Espo's fake engagement gets a whole conversation with her parents. Ugh. 

• Love 2

On the up side? The last minute or so reminded me that Castle cares, that he feels like he's losing something being kicked out of the precinct (again), that he doesn't want to just be the goofball following his cop wife around, so hopefully he fights a bit to get that back.

I am the only one that feels like Gates won't be too hard to sway? She seemed genuinely remorseful delivering the news.

This is vaguely episode adjacent ... how long before this becomes fanfiction?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

Castle PI? Oh dear.  This looks like it could be silly....

Yes, but Nathan does silly so well. If he was Welsh, he'd be known as Nathan Silly Fillion.

I wanted mob-Romeo and mob-Juliet to go off to WitSec to get "outta da life," but that would've probably involved ratting out their 'rents.

Congrats to whoever called it on the "meet the parents" angle.  

I mentioned it in the Spoilers thread the other day. That and the mobsters. But that was because the latter was way too obvious when they mentioned they would be in the episode.

Agree with with McManda bring back Marissa for Espo!

Though it will be interesting to see how Castle gets back working at the precinct since even his connections with the mayor couldn't help it out this time. Plus as soon as he started making his own decisions and not asking the NYPD and Beckett you knew he basically was screwed. As McManda said the main way of getting him back would be clearing his name (so I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be doing some of that while he works as a PI as well).

The PI stuff could have the potential of Double Down type of scenario. But at least we've got Perlmutter back going by the promo!

As expected Matt M will have a Q&A up with Amann after the episode airs on the West Coast, so it'll be interesting to see what questions Matt puts forward to him.

Edited by Nadine
I am the only one that feels like Gates won't be too hard to sway? She seemed genuinely remorseful delivering the news.

Yes, she did.  This definitely doesn't seem like her decision, she was just delivering the bad news.  It's kind of weird that she told him before she told Beckett though, or that she didn't tell them together.  It seems appropriate since Castle works with Beckett.  And it would have been nice to see her reaction.  But I guess the DA thinks that if it weren't for Castle the mob guys wouldn't have known it was the cop and couldn't have killed him?  Because wouldn't the mobsters have just done that anyway? And didn't the cop actually make his own bed when he decided to start acting like a criminal? I don't really think anything Castle did was so out of line here (which isn't always the case).

I think I wouldn't be annoyed by the ending if it wasn't the last episode before January.  Why can't they just end the first half of the season on a happy note?  These angsty cliffhangers are no fun.

• Love 1

I would like to see Castle and Beckett as PIs. The cop genre is getting tiresome on this show, and they don't have enough sub-plot to keep it interesting. They could travel on Castle's dime. It would be awesome! So go Castle -- and take Beckett with you. Collaborate with the folks at the precinct on some matters, but go independent.

But at least we've got Perlmutter back going by the promo!

Thank God. I was really beginning to wonder if the actor was no longer a guest character on the show any more. He'll be a welcomed sight for me for sure! 

Castle Winter Finale Recap: As Partners Go, We Are Here to... Stay? by Matt at TV Line. 

Though it will be interesting to see how Castle gets back working at the precinct since even his connections with the mayor couldn't help it out this time. Plus as soon as he started making his own decisions and not asking the NYPD and Beckett you knew he basically was screwed.

Yeah he was screwed the set up for the conclusion was so obvious every time a warning went out about having to be careful.  But Gates did seem sad about it so she shouldn't be a problem to convince that he can come back,  may be doctor Nieman can come to the rescue in some way and he's need to help out on a case?  

These angsty cliffhangers are no fun.

Agreed but I sense TPTB feel rather differently and they believe fans secretly enjoy them deep down.

I did like the little scene McManda pointed out with Nathan at the end, he can do the more subtle moments well which make me yearn even more for them when I get deluged with the slapstick comedy routine they favour for him now. Pity. 

Can they get rid of Lanie and bring on Perlmutter as a permanent cast member?  That way Esplanie is dead forever. 

Edited by verdana

Stana Katic Brasil ‏@BRStanaKatic  59 mins59 minutes ago

Most important part of the episode, lbh. #Castle

(gif via http://buttonupkitten.tumblr.com )

https://twitter.com/BRStanaKatic/status/542171358319632384

She's not far wrong. 

K. Tripler ‏@ktripler  2 hrs2 hours ago

This #Castle episode is very special to me, it was my last one on the show and it couldn't have been better :)

Robert Hanning @RobHanning  ·  1h 1 hour ago

#Castle well on the bright side Esposito is now available #teamBecksposito

Rob put a sock in it and stop stirring. 

• Love 1

my stupid DVR started late (apparently it still thinks DWTS is on before it) so I missed the whole convo with Alexis, Martha & Beckett. I caught the tail end with Beckett asking about the poem being for real. GRR.

I was completely thrown by Stana's voice while reading Beckett's (awesome) poem at the end. I kept waiting for her to laugh and play off that she was being funny...? Did anyone else notice the gravelly delivery? No? just me?

I miss suave Castle. I miss Ryan interacting more. Now he pops up like whack-a-mole with his bon mots and "hot leads." They never show Ryan and Espo door-knocking anymore. Just Caskett.

I, too, wish for fun Rita to join the squad. Bye, Tory!

I do think the show is damned if they do/don't. There were tons of complaints about not seeing the cut scene with the Esplanie break up last time, and now they show it (presumably/fortunately implying they're not going there anymore) and there are complaints that the entirety of the show isn't Caskett. IMO, for a B plot, they still spent as little time as possible on Esplanie.

• Love 6
"This has been an epic year

Life’s been full of joy and tears

Solving crimes and catching killers

Just like Castle’s famous thrillers

We share a passion every day

As partners go we’re here to stay"

(via amtepe) 

Kate Beckett, poet and crime fighter.

May be TVWithPity is right, they both should become PI's, we could then see more of Castle's family which I miss and they could still find a way for the boys to help out occasionally. 

Edited by verdana

I do think the show is damned if they do/don't. There were tons of complaints about not seeing the cut scene with the Esplanie break up last time, and now they show it (presumably/fortunately implying they're not going there anymore) and there are complaints that the entirety of the show isn't Caskett. IMO, for a B plot, they still spent as little time as possible on Esplanie.

I think the part that damned them was recycling the storyline. The first time around people were interested. This time I was just bored by the whole thing. I guess Pi & Alexis can reconcile & then break up again just for a change of pace.

Yes, she did.  This definitely doesn't seem like her decision, she was just delivering the bad news.  It's kind of weird that she told him before she told Beckett though, or that she didn't tell them together. 

That bit seemed odd and forced that she tells Castle but not Beckett who is the detective here and in charge not Castle, by rights surely it should have been her first or as you say them together, it seemed contrived so they have the scene like that with only him reacting to the news.  

Edited by verdana

This episode was so fucking awful I'm still throwing up in my mouth. The only thing that can be said for it was that there wasn't much Festive!Alexis. As no Alexis is the best Alexis, almost no Alexis is good too. Married!Castle is terrible. The only way you know they're together is the rings (which, thankfully, someone can remember for now). You certainly can't tell they're together when the newlywed husband is ogling other women every two seconds. I mean, who approves these things? The Hack, I suppose, tho I can tell you for sure that P.A. Terri doesn't let him get away with that shit. I have a feeling certain actors think that shit is fucking hilarious and that TPTB agree and we have a gag that's gone on way the fuck too long. Like, three seasons too long.

Castle P.I.? Sigh. Sure, why not "break" them up? Maybe they could tap into a Moonlighting type situation and show slightly more passion than two people who saw their best moments in 2011. God is this show a goddamned disaster. What a waste.

Really? We meet Lanie parents and have 2 convos with them but poor Jim Beckett didn't get a line at the wedding. Ryan was the best part of that subplot, but too much time was spent on Esplanie. At least they broke up and can move on when the show eventually ends. Bring back the transit cop if they want Espo to have a love interest. She had the most chemistry with him so far.

The 1st loft scene was cute and the poem was nice too. Aww that Beckett was more into celebrating the holiday season compared to the s5 one. I liked how much she change since Castle made things fun for her. It seems like Gates has beginning to like Castle this season and was sympathetic that she had to deliver the bad news to him.

The mob story wasn't that bad but I prefer that Castle and Beckett work together than Castle on his own. I wasn't expecting Luca to actually be alive and nice twist of dirty detective but it was such a downer for a holiday ep. Cutting out Esplanie subplot, this storyline would've worked better as the s6 finale cliffhanger than what we actually got. They could've got married and started s7 as Castle P.I. working his way back into the precinct just like the DC eps were only 3 eps long.

Cyber Rita was charming and another guest star that has more personality than Tory, but then Jackie has a personality on a memorable idol season for me.

Is the hospital set the new permanent set cause it keeps popping up. It shows up as much as the changing credits. I think the snippet of the bluesy Christmas stripper song from the sneak peek seemed better in the scene than whatever the song was used in the ep.

Overall so far this season there have been some interesting guest stars that I wouldn't mind seeing them come back. I do look forward to Perlmutter snark in Jan. I doubt Castle P.I. won't last that long. Probably have him working back in precinct in the next sweeps.

Edited by turnitwayup

Really? The poem was awesome?

Thanks to amtepe for transcribing it. It is just as bad as I thought. Yecch, barely a B- in  a Grade Six composition class.

But then, I like both Espo and Lanie. Their story line was both sensible, in that it made sense (they love each other, but are not meant to be life partners) and adult. At last, a couple that couples and uncouples and isn't forced into being enemies. 

Although I thought Lanie was from New York too. But I don't recognize regional American accents.

And I'm glad Castle is getting a chance to work on his own. The PI license from the internet is a cute idea. Can that actually be legal? I can see Castle's sense of wonder going for it, and his 'I know a guy' connections and research skills making him a real challenger on case solving. And a little friendly rivalry can be pretty sexy too.

Espo has had a couple of lady friends with children. The lady who got her clock back as well as Marissa the subway cop. If his clock is ticking (and Jon Huertas just got married in real life) he may end up married by the end of this season. 

• Love 2
The PI license from the internet is a cute idea. Can that actually be legal?

Hey, in real life, people can become ordained ministers online to marry folks, so maybe anything is possible here.  :-)

• Love 1

I for one am excited about it.

I don't need a Castle/Beckett reality show which sometimes it feels like that's what people want. 

I want stories and to see how they handle it. 

Castle getting kicked out of the precinct is a story. 

I'm curious to see where Amann and co takes it now. His post-710 interviews definitely has me looking forward to it. I expect a few The Double Down kind of moments.

• Love 2

For me, that's what made the scene. Just his shock and devastation, then having to cover it up, but we could still see the pain underneath. Also, more importantly, Beckett could see something was wrong. That's what I was talking about last week. For them to be in tune with each other like that, where a subtle facial expression is recognized and asked about. 

What also made the scene for me was the way the captain delivered the news. I'd expected her to be ranting all the way through, but she seemed genuinely to be upset about having to give him the news.

Second all of this. As soon as she finished with the poem she could tell something was wrong - so I expect a few post-ep fics to come out that will be set right after that. Because there's no way in hell he would go home without telling her by the end of the night (that would chew away big time for Castle).

I think Gates realised that their closure rate in the Precinct probably wouldn't be where it is without Castle's help. Plus like Montgomery stated that Beckett never had any fun until he was around and I think Gates also realises he brings a sense of lightness at times to relieve the pressure for them all when it gets intense. It will be  interesting to see if they put in a throwaway line about if the closure rate has been affected now that he's out of the Precinct.

I haven't seen the ep, still, but just watched the end scene. Yeah right, Gates is going to tell Castle this news without telling her direct report, Beckett. Rolling eyes. Phony angst like this is what takes this show way into soap opera land and will kill it. And many of us just shrug anyway from the show-runner induced apathy. What crazy in the writers' room says, "hey, I know, let's separate our couple in the most soap opera-ey way possible." Really, it's like they want to peeve the fans. It almost passive-aggressive. But maybe PI Castle is about giving Nathan a taste of James Garner, Rockford Files, without Nathan leaving the show. As I said, I would find the complete switch to PI rather than police force refreshing.

That said every time Castle makes those back and forth faces it reminds me of Nathan's description of how he generates them. I'm pretty sure that during that end scene, Nathan was having an internal debate about whether or not he left the coffee pot on at home...."did I leave it on? Of course not, relief. Maybe it's going to burn the house down. Nah, it's all fine...etc,etc"

Edited by TVWithPity

I'm out. This show has truly jumped the shark for me. That was a mess of an episode, from slack-jawed Fillion to ridiculous "I told my parents we were engaged" B plot that went nowhere. Dude ranch, fake scenery wedding, expendables rip-off, holy hell this show is all gimmick now tied together with the bow of buffoonery that Rick Castle has become. 

I want to hate it, I really, really do. Alone for the obvious course the episode took (I suspected that Detective the moment he set foot in the Precinct), Castle of course having a gun pointed at him at some point, the Esplanie B-story I couldn't care less about, and that cheap, cheap cliffhanger at the end of a Christmas episode that didn't get me into the holiday spirit at all  (I always look forward to Christmas episodes, but this one was bleh).

But - after having seen that promo, I think a change of scenery might be what this show needs. I imagine it will be a little like Season 1/2 where he keeps popping up at crime scenes without being notified and just annoys the hell out of everyone. I think that little spice will do them (and their life as a married couple) good. 

They'll have things to talk about, they'll probably argue, they'll realize they miss each other during the day which is basically a reaffirmation of their love, and if handled well, I think it could be an insightful journey for them as a couple and bring them closer together in the end. 

Don't get me wrong, this is probably one of the worst episodes I've seen, but it could be the base for an interesting storyline. 

• Love 1

Did we already have a feuding families Romeo and Juliet story on Castle? Or am I mixing it up with another show? (Maybe Psych.)

Yes, Psych - the Chinese Triads. First ep back after Juliette was tied to the clock by Yang. (I have no life.)

• Love 5

The 1st loft scene was cute and the poem was nice too. Aww that Beckett was more into celebrating the holiday season compared to the s5 one. I liked how much she change since Castle made things fun for her. It seems like Gates has beginning to like Castle this season and was sympathetic that she had to deliver the bad news to him.

"What word rhymes with I'm screwed?" Heh.  But I'm feeling a bit sorry for her that the writers have her caught on the hop by the family as a means of humor with these so called annual traditions which she keeps forgetting or is clueless about when she's been living with the guy for two years.  

Edited by verdana

So, Castle is the reason the real killer was caught and the mob guy wasn't wrongly convicted, yet because the killer was killed on the way to booking (something that happens every week on TV procedurals), he's kicked out of the 12th. Pretty contrived, but I guess they had to get to that point somehow.

• Love 1

"What word rhymes with I'm screwed?" Heh. But I'm feeling a bit sorry for her that the writers have her caught on the hop by the family as a means of humor with these so called annual traditions which she keeps forgetting or is clueless about when she's been living with the guy for two years.

I doubt Castle was sending out Christmas cards with Beckett included in s5 since they were hiding their relationship from Gates and the rest of the NYPD higher ups but I have no explaination why she didn't know about that tradition last Christmas. Same with dressing up for Thanksgiving joke last season. Wouldn't she be around for s5 Thanksgiving? I gotta believe that After Hours was set before the holiday and that the parents dinner was a test run before a full on Thanksgiving meal with both families. Maybe this Christmas tradition should've been tackled last season with having the baby ep set during Christmas instead of Thanksgiving. The Creseays manage to juggle 3 plots again but the mob/Castle gets kicked out plot didn't belong on a holiday ep, the Esplanie plot was stupid and the Christmas tradition plot becomes a season too late issue. All that damn useless wedding planning time could've had Beckett learning all these Castle family traditions moments instead. Castle wanted to create new traditions back in Secret Santa but I wish this ep had revisited that.

• Love 1