Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

Thanks, Jen!

Libra and Library... Yay. Too bad the library here closes so early. I'd be tempted to go there.

I need to go into town sometime next week and help some friends install some vinyl sheet (its like linoleum but linoleum is organic) in the bathroom of their rental. Will have to pull the toilet up first.. Will need a wax ring. I'm probably going to be nominated to clean up the old wax ring since I don't know if my friends can stomach it and I have experience with cleaning up wax rings and installing new ones-- and with installing vinyl sheet. Turns out I had enough of the vinyl left over from my bathroom install that it covers their entire bathroom (which is tiny).

• Love 1

That list does not mention the much-loved classic Latawnya the Naughty Horse Learns to Say No to Drugs, therefore I consider it to be invalid.

Edit: waitwaitwait The Pilgrim's Progress? How did that sneak into first place good lord

Edited by rapgodminho
  • Love 2

I've only read three of those books- “1984”, “Lord of the Flies” and “To Kill A Mockingbird”- and I notice that the vast majority of those books were written before 1930 (and none on the list are newer than 2000).

I mean, I'm no literary critic, but...I can't believe that written media has gotten so bad that literally nothing recent can make a list like that. Nor were all the best books written before the 20th century. I also wonder what the list would look like in the U.S. To each their own though.

Besides, not only is it missing LaTawyna (which I must check out), it's also missing (for all you American football fans out there) “Little T Learns To Share”- the book so good, even the author could learn from it.

• Love 2

It seems like more of a list of classics than "best novels".

Of course, "best" is very subjective.

I've only read The Great Gatsby (which I hated), Lord of the Flies (which I liked in terms of plot, but am not such a huge fan of the writing style), and To Kill A Mockingbird (which I did enjoy, though having read "Go Set A Watchman", I don't think I'll ever be able to think of it in the same way). I think I also read The Bell Jar, but since I don't remember anything about it, I'm not counting that one.

There are several on that list that I have been meaning to read for a while, though.

Just found out a freelance writing gig I applied for is mine. Yes! I'll be writing some client resolution materials for a local company that is going through a huge transitional period; should last me until the end of the year. It doesn't start until after labor day. I might need to take a drug test (ugh) and they'll probably have to do a background check to find out if I'm an unsub (snerk). And I'll also have to sign some confidentiality papers vowing in blood that I won't share any client information outside of the company.

But I can safely say this is a huge relief. I've worked with this company before and I really like them. Some friends of mine are coming up from out of town tomorrow, and now we have something to celebrate. Squee!

• Love 7

I've only read one of those books completely. I think I need to up my reading intake. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are free online or on ibooks?

Mostly it depends on what you enjoy reading. I think I remember you mentioning that you live in Australia, but there are likely several sites that serve international customers.

Today in the saga of "my house hates me"... I went to use the microwave. Put in the time and turned it on. 3 seconds in the lights in the house dim and the microwave shuts off and then displays the message it has when its first plugged in (or after a power outage). I thought it was a fluke. Turned it on again... brownout and microwave shuts off. Tried it 5 more times... Not sure WTF the problem is. Think either the breaker is somewhat fried or wires outside the house got fried again from the power surges the other day and it can't pull enough amps to give powe to the microwave.

I haven't been able to visit this site for a while, so today I checked the Vents and rants, the bullpen, the spoilers for season 11, among others. I ended up feeling confused, since topics seem to be rather mixed nowadays, and its difficult to decide where to write one's post.

Then again, maybe it's just me, not following through the trendy topics.

• Love 5

MCatry! Good to see you back on the board. Believe me, it's been quite an unsettling time over the last few days! Not here, this has been more of a refuge for some of us!

Thank you!

It was weird to read Haiku poems and stuff about Betty White (which I don't know who she is), politicians, South Park (which I never saw) and similar stuff. Or just people commenting happily about Gubler doing commentaries for one of his episodes, right on Vents and Rants.

Anyway, it feels good to be back. Weird, but in a good way.

• Love 1

Thank you!

It was weird to read Haiku poems and stuff about Betty White (which I don't know who she is), politicians, South Park (which I never saw) and similar stuff. Or just people commenting happily about Gubler doing commentaries for one of his episodes, right on Vents and Rants.

Anyway, it feels good to be back. Weird, but in a good way.

Betty White is an actress. She use to star in a show called the Golden Girls.And than she starred in Hot In Cleveland. which was just recently cancelled. Oh here is a little bit of trivia about Miss White.For those of us who are old enough to remember the game Password on television and the guy who originally hosted it, well that was her husband.For the life of me I can't remember his name.I'm not sure if Betty White ever remarried after his passing which was quite some time ago.

• Love 2

Betty White is an actress. She use to star in a show called the Golden Girls.And than she starred in Hot In Cleveland. which was just recently cancelled. Oh here is a little bit of trivia about Miss White.For those of us who are old enough to remember the game Password on television and the guy who originally hosted it, well that was her husband.For the life of me I can't remember his name.I'm not sure if Betty White ever remarried after his passing which was quite some time ago.

Allen Ludden.  And I'm old enough to remember watching them!

• Love 3

Allen Ludden.  And I'm old enough to remember watching them!

That's right JMO. Thanks. I heard a rumor one time that he didn't really like to allow Betty to play.She was supposedly quite good at it. I wonder if he and the network might have worried that people might have thought the game was somehow rigged because she was his wife.But it is not like she was ever in the position to have won any sort of prizes.So I am not sure why people would have taken issue with it.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

That's right JMO. Thanks. I heard a rumor one time that he didn't really like to allow Betty to play.She was supposedly quite good at it. I wonder if he and the network might have worried that people might have thought the game was somehow rigged because she was his wife.But it is not like she was ever in the position to have won any sort of prizes.So I am not sure why people would have taken issue with it.

"One-fifth of the people are against everything all the time." -- Robert Kennedy

Good to have you back, McCatry!

• Love 3

MMC, you have to remember (or not, since you're probably not old enough!) that back then in the 60s, game shows had been exposed as being rigged toward audience appeal (did you ever see Quiz Show? That's a great movie) and a lot of people dismissed them as rigged right off the bat. Betty could do a lot of things, but Alan was just a game show host.

• Love 2

Thank you all for your welcome back words!

I am right now spending some time in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and while I was looking at tv schedules to see if I could watch Criminal Minds I found several re-runs.

Monday: one episode around 10 AM, repeated around 4PM, and then again at 9 PM. And then, at 10PM, a repeat of one of the episode of the last season.

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, one episode around 10 AM, repeated around 4PM, and then again at 9 PM.

Wednesday: one episode around 10 AM, repeated around 4PM, and then again at 9 PM. And then, at 10PM, a repeat of one of the episode of the last season broadcasted on Monday.

Saturday: one episode around 10AM, which is the same broadcasted on Thursday, and then another episode, from season 10, at 8 PM.

Sunday: one episode around 10AM, which is the same broadcasted on Friday, and the three episodes (one after the other) from around 4 PM.

Apparently they have been rerunning all the episodes in order over and over again, all seasons, and no dubbing!

Funny how I though I would have to watch CM in my laptop...

• Love 4

As to how much presence she'll have: I don't know how else they are supposed to introduce a new character except by spending some script and screen time on her. I'd rather that, than what they did with Kate. I felt like I was waiting all season to find out more about her, and then, poof, she was

See? That right there is what I don't get. Why do the team members, and for extension, the audience, has to know personal stuff about a character? I mean, when you get a new job, or someone is new at your job, that newbie is presented with his/her name, qualifications/positions, and that's it. I don't expect them to pour their lives on me, nor I automatically start chatting with colleagues as if they were my friends (or, mind me, my family!). And no one expect you to do that if you are the newbie (unless you are in Argentina, in which case you automatically become a member of a dis functional Italianish family who speaks weird Spanish).

Normally you learn tidbits here and there over time which cast members have, and that's enough for me. I don't need several side stories to spell me their private lives. For me, at least, the less I know the more intriguing is the character.

And if a recurring member won't be there for long, well, as colleagues that come and go away, sometimes I don't even remember their names.

I remember a time in which Morgan did a personal question to the then new agent Prentiss, and as soon as he felt he had crossed some sort of line he backed away. That's respect, from Morgan's side, and caution from Prentiss's side. And this was just about a date.

Nowadays we have characters talking about their very personal stuff to each other as if they would be discussing coffee brands, and that upsets me, since its another sign of lack of realistic drama.

Then again, my life experiences have a nice range of situations in which I've been ignored while saying good morning up to having people inviting themselves to my place on my first week on a job.

Edited by MCatry
  • Love 1

MCatry, I wasn't suggesting a focus on the character.  But I'd like to know a bit about her background, what she's done before, what she brings to the table.  For me, but perhaps not for you, that inherently involves some of her personal story.  It may vary from workplace to workplace, but in my place, it's more common to find out something personal about a new employee than not, by way of making them feel welcome and valued.  Maybe it's related to our being in a human services field in the first place.  Maybe things work differently in the business world, but I'd have to rely on others to speak to that.  I only know what I know.

• Love 4

When I'm watching TV, I watch for the characters, and for me to be interested in them I need to know a bit about them - probably more than I'd realistically expect to know about a new coworker in real life. I do want to know about this new character before I make up my mind about her, but I'm also a bit wary. I feel like they're going to take the easy/quick way of making her sympathetic, which is give her some personal trauma and/or dead family members. Of course, that would maybe be okay if they hadn't already done that with every other character on the show.

If they don't take the time to get to know her and flesh her out a bit as a character, I feel like there's no point in bringing her on in the first place, especially from a CBS-budget perspective.

I do think it's a bit "damned if you do, damned if you don't" because if they use screentime to get to know the new character, (some) people will be mad that she's taking time away from the other characters, but if they don't give the new character much screentime, (some) people will be annoyed that they brought this character on and aren't doing anything with her.

• Love 3

MCatry, I wasn't suggesting a focus on the character.  But I'd like to know a bit about her background, what she's done before, what she brings to the table.  For me, but perhaps not for you, that inherently involves some of her personal story.  It may vary from workplace to workplace, but in my place, it's more common to find out something personal about a new employee than not, by way of making them feel welcome and valued.  Maybe it's related to our being in a human services field in the first place.  Maybe things work differently in the business world, but I'd have to rely on others to speak to that.  I only know what I know.

Well, it is, indeed, a matter of personal background, and that's probably why you feel like they didnt do much about Kate's personal stuff while I feel like it was overdone.

Still, I think I knew a lot more in previous seasons, when just a line or two were delivered here and there, and not much after endless dialogues and long scenes that are standard now, since almost every single episode seems to be dedicated to one character, while everyone else is just taking turns to show up in front of the camera.

• Love 2

Just found out a freelance writing gig I applied for is mine. Yes! I'll be writing some client resolution materials for a local company that is going through a huge transitional period; should last me until the end of the year. It doesn't start until after labor day. I might need to take a drug test (ugh) and they'll probably have to do a background check to find out if I'm an unsub (snerk). And I'll also have to sign some confidentiality papers vowing in blood that I won't share any client information outside of the company.

Ugh. My freelance gig has been delayed until next week Monday. I guess there was a hiccup with the paperwork and they had to delay things by a few days. I just want to be working. However, I didn't have to take a drug test or do a background check. That was comforting. What's not comforting is this company is closing shop, and things might be weird as it transitions. I hear from some sources that things are kind of creepy at HQ and it's practically a ghost town. Well, hopefully I'll be keeping busy through Christmas.

What else? Well, I have spent some of my time off tackling a lot of chores at home. I organized my pantry, and I'm going to attack and organize my closets and dresser drawers. I threw out shit that was taking up space like an old broken stool and ancient stationery bike that used to be owned by my parents. I bought some new office supplies and I'm trying to make more work space more Bookish Jen friendly.

I made four pairs of earrings for my sister. Made two new bracelets for myself and a gift for a friend. I'm almost done writing a book review and will start on a couple more shortly.

It's getting bit cooler so you know I'll be spending more time cooking and baking.

I start teaching at my church this Sunday, and we showing our first film for this season early next month.

Sadly, a very promising potential romance had to be put on the back burner due to some red flags. I've shed a few tears about this, and at times I'm quite wistful. But for now it is the best. Our lovely CoStar knows about this through our PMs and she said something very wise (and I'm paraphrasing), "Relationships should be an anchor, not an albatross." So true.

• Love 3

It sounds like you have been productive and busy despite your job getting delayed! That is good :)
And red flags are red flags for a reason - hopefully things work out for the best, though!

I am in the middle of a nightmare commute, thanks to a "suspicious package" on the train tracks.

They're not yet saying what exactly this package is, but there is video footage of it being detonated, so I'm going to go ahead and call it a mini-bomb.

Nothing says happy Wednesday like a mini-bomb on the train tracks and preventing 100 000 people from getting home. At least nobody was hurt.

• Love 3

Apparently it was a fake pipe bomb, so there was no real danger - though I'm not entirely sure how it was "detonated" if there were no explosives, but that's their story.

It's in Toronto. The train station that this happened at was really really busy over the last couple of weeks, ending on Labour Day, so I suppose if someone really wanted to do damage, they would have done it then. Instead, they just made the evening commute a headache.

Finally got home, though. A 40-minute train ride became a four hour ordeal.

• Love 2

It sounds like you have been productive and busy despite your job getting delayed! That is good :)

And red flags are red flags for a reason - hopefully things work out for the best, though!

I am in the middle of a nightmare commute, thanks to a "suspicious package" on the train tracks.

They're not yet saying what exactly this package is, but there is video footage of it being detonated, so I'm going to go ahead and call it a mini-bomb.

Nothing says happy Wednesday like a mini-bomb on the train tracks and preventing 100 000 people from getting home. At least nobody was hurt.

Yikes! How scary. I'm glad you are safe.

Booky, although it's painful, a good red flag system is a wonderful thing to have. Sorry you are sad, but, hopefully, you are safe.

Frances, I hope you are safe wherever you are. You're right about the flags.

You are so sweet. I wasn't worried about my physical safety. I don't think AG (his initials) had violent designs on me. I just think he wanted an enabler, not a supportive girlfriend. And at this point, I just can't do that. I'm a pretty empathetic person, but I don't want to be the Wendy to a man's Peter Pan. Does that make me a total bitch?

• Love 3

You are so sweet. I wasn't worried about my physical safety. I don't think AG (his initials) had violent designs on me. I just think he wanted an enabler, not a supportive girlfriend. And at this point, I just can't do that. I'm a pretty empathetic person, but I don't want to be the Wendy to a man's Peter Pan. Does that make me a total bitch?

No.

I'm glad you could see the signs before you invested too much. I'm also glad you're not one of those gals who thinks she can "fix" things like this.

• Love 2

No.

I'm glad you could see the signs before you invested too much. I'm also glad you're not one of those gals who thinks she can "fix" things like this.

Glad you don't think I'm a bitch. The thing is I wanted to get invested. The chemistry between AG and I was off the charts. We really seemed to bond and connect in so many ways-mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

But no, I can't "fix" AG. He really needed to do the hard work and fix himself.

To echo normasm, not at all.

Too often, people put so much into relationships that they forget to take care of themselves, and without that self-care even non-romantic relationships can't really pan out. Even if AG genuinely has no bad intentions, you cannot clean up whatever mess he's made of his life.

• Love 3

MMC, you have to remember (or not, since you're probably not old enough!) that back then in the 60s, game shows had been exposed as being rigged toward audience appeal (did you ever see Quiz Show? That's a great movie) and a lot of people dismissed them as rigged right off the bat. Betty could do a lot of things, but Alan was just a game show host.

Hey I am just now seeing your post thus the late response.I definitely would have been old enough. And I do remember the Quiz show movie. The lead actor from Northern Exposure happened to be in it. However I've yet to have seen it,but it sounds as if I should probably try and check it out.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

Complete weird side note, but I kept hearing a strange thumping noise outside and couldn't figure out what it was. Just managed to look out the window and my cow is swinging her tail and thumping the air conditioner. LOL.

• Love 2

Glad you don't think I'm a bitch. The thing is I wanted to get invested. The chemistry between AG and I was off the charts. We really seemed to bond and connect in so many ways-mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

But no, I can't "fix" AG. He really needed to do the hard work and fix himself.

And that is why you're amazing, because, when you saw him for what he is, you had a choice: go with the great feeling and chemistry both of you felt, or see how it very well might end. You did the hard thing, rather than what felt good. No, you're no bitch, you're who I want to be when I "grow up."

Complete weird side note, but I kept hearing a strange thumping noise outside and couldn't figure out what it was. Just managed to look out the window and my cow is swinging her tail and thumping the air conditioner. LOL.

Aw, which cow?

• Love 1

I didn't weigh in on the relationship thing because I'm not in any position to give relationship advice. LOL. But I do think its better to have nipped it before going in too deep and having him feeling even more hurt later on.

Sooz, it was Kwai-ying. That tail packs a wallop. One time she accidentally hit me in the forehead and the hairs at the end of her tail actually cut my skin.

I was going to head to the workshop to get a tool, but I think she'll hear me and decide its time to play. LOL.

• Love 1

The past two weeks have been crazy. I was training all last week and I came home a wreck. The new stuff to learn was so overwhelming and I would come home and just collapse.

But thank goodness, things went better this past week. Training is over and we're actually doing the job. I'm doing fine and not lost like I thought I would be. I have some great mentors and I like my editor. They are very supportive. And I also appreciate that in my department there are people I've worked with before and I'm thrilled to see them again.

• Love 2

I recently started watching Arrow (which sometimes has some of the directors from CM- Rob Hardy and Larry Teng). I couldn't help but notice that Felicity reminds me a lot of Garcia (but a better more mature version of her) in her mannerisms, voice, and babbling. They even had an origin story for her in season 3 that reminded me a LOT of the Black Queen episode. (She had a goth look before and her ex-boyfriend came back to do evil).

secnarf, that is a sad story about the boy stabbing his sister. I sort of worry that something like that might happen with my friend's stepson. Kid is now 6 years old and was just diagnosed with Aspergers-- but I don't think he was born with it. His mother neglects him and abuses him. She was neglected, abused, and raped as a child and married a guy who was abusive. For the first few years of the kid's life, the "mother" put him in a jumpseat with some food and drink and sit him in front of the TV from 7am to noon every single day. She didn't interact with him. When he was in kindergarten he was wetting the bed and she spanked him for it. A housemate said that every school day he would hear her screaming at the kid and hitting him because he moved slower than she wanted when getting dressed. I once observed the kid struggling to climb into my SUV and instead of helping him, she screamed at him to hurry up. She took a nap right before the kid was getting home from school and didn't get up to let him into the yard and when my friend got off work an hour later, he saw the child standing outside in the rain crying. Anytime the kid tries to speak to his mother she yells at him and tells him he's "stupid" and a "fucking r*******". She once texted my friend when he was over at my house to complain that she broke her hairbrush "beating (the kid's) ass". She also broke her glasses while hitting him. Recently when the kid was learning to count to 20, the bitch got so mad at the kid for not being able to do it that she slapped him across the face so hard he fell down and hit his head on the floor. She then screamed at him that it was his fault that he hit his head. I called DCFS but they blew me off and said that unless I personally witnessed it and the child had visible injuries, they coudln't do anything about it. Corporal punishment is allowed in schools here and there is a liability immunity law in place to protect teachers/principals from presuction and lawsuits even if they cause grievous harm to the children. It's considered a person's "God-given right" to "beat" their kids. Anyway, kid tried to choke some kittens, hits cats/dogs (although his mother does too), gets into fights at school all the time, and doesn't get along with his 3-year-old half-sister. One minute he can be a very sweet and loving kid and the next he's having a full on tantrum and starts breaking things or hitting things-- which he totally gets from his mother. Just this weekend, the mother was having a tantrum and was pounding on my friend's desk. He told her to stop because she was going to break it. She didn't, so he used his left hand (which is weak because he broke his arm and wrist on that side) to grab her arm to stop her. She turned and bit him and accused him of trying to strangle her (his hand was nowhere near her throat). She does that crap-- hits, kicks, bites, and screams at my friend in front of the children. He wants her to leave but nobody can understand why he doesn't just kick her worthless ass to the curb. She's an unsub and I'm worried that her kids will become unsubs. I just hope the kid never gets access to a kitchen knife when he's older. He will probably hate women-- or at least his mother and possibly sister. It really is like watching the beginnings of a CM episode in slow motion.

What a horrible story, zannej. Is that the friend you've talked about in the past, or is this someone different? I'm amazed someone hasn't reported her to the authorities. If not the cops, then CPS. Somebody, before its too late, if it isn't already.

• Love 2

What a horrible story, zannej. Is that the friend you've talked about in the past, or is this someone different? I'm amazed someone hasn't reported her to the authorities. If not the cops, then CPS. Somebody, before its too late, if it isn't already.

It's my friend that I spoke of before.

I've reported her to DCFS and got blown off. Her daughter is 3 years old and she's not even attempting to potty train her. Kid gets diaper rash all the time and the mother just yells at her and sometimes hits her for crying and squirming when she's getting a diaper change. The boy wasn't potty trained until he was 5-- and my friend's father had to potty train him because nobody else did (my friend didn't know how-- plus anytime he tries to teach the kid something, the bitch does something to undermine him). I'm really hoping he will finally grow some stones and kick her to the curb. He has told her to leave multiple times and she's just locked herself in the bedroom and refused to go. She even packed her stuff the other day and said she was leaving. He told her to go, but she didn't. If it were up to me, her internet would be shut off, and he'd cancel her Hulu account that she paid for without his permission when she took his debit card while he was in the hospital.

A woman who was somehow related to her (not sure on the details, but it was rather convoluted) got reported to DCFS for hitting her kids in public 4 times and they did nothing. The woman bragged about "beating" her kids and said she wanted them to take her kids away. When she got divorced, they awarded her custody of the kids. There is a reason why Louisiana has the highest incarceration rate per capita of any state-- and that attitude toward violence against children is part of it. There was a guy across the street who beat his wife and stepkids all the time and the little boy would run to my friend's house to ask him to call the cops. The cops were called numerous times. The kid called DCFS and they never did anything until his sister claimed there was sexual abuse. Once she said that, they took the kids away within days. Meanwhile, the stepfather works at a nursing home and steals the medicine to sell to people on the streets. In other words, this town really really sucks.

Sorry for venting. This just really pisses me off. I love my friend, but he grew up in a family that doesn't do shit about crimes being committed. His father and uncle routinely steal from the grandparents-- hell, his father stole from him, but he's been taught not to involve the police. I keep trying to convince him to set up a camera to film the bitch and how she treats the kids so he can turn her in to the police. He's talked about it in the past but never follows through. And now he thinks that he's "ruined" himself in the accident and that nobody else will ever want him and that he's stuck with her.

Edit: I previously murdered the word "prosecution". How the hell did I end up with "presuction"? I don't have autocorrect and I don't think that is even a word.

Edited by zannej

Yeah, I feel sorry for Nicholas Brendan.

Oh, on a side note-- the guy I mentioned who worked at the nursing home and stole meds is currently in jail for sexually abusing his stepdaughter. I hope he stays there for a very long time.