Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: Road to Recovery

That was a terrible episode of CSI -- the case was just ridiculous, even by CSI standards. No wonder it's probably getting yanked off the air.

A woman in rehab ducks out of a rehab facility/spa after 9 pm and goes to at least 4 different nightclubs (if not more) drinking tons of booze, snorting drugs, dancing and making out with guys and girls before being found by the rehab owner/councilor in one of the nightclubs and taking her home in a cab by 3am.  Whereupon party girl decides to lure the jock in the rehab facility with booze and pills into her bathtub where he proceeded to have sex with her and then blackout (even though she should have been comatose at this point from all the drugs and booze in her system). After which the jock left the tub in his blackout state while party girl got up and mocked Greg Grunberg's character by putting a bottle of booze in his room after which he killed her and then put her in the bathtub in her room and somehow managed to intubate her with a hose used to clean the fish tanks and he proceeded to pump her lungs full of water from the tub using air pressure from his mouth all because he only had a couple of days left in his rehab and she was an awful temptress trying to get him to drink again (because all he thought about was getting back to his children).  After which the rehab councilor finds her body in the tub, loads it into his car, cleans up the bathtub area in her room of all traces that anything had happened and transports the body to an empty house (that apparently 'everyone' knew was uninhabited) about a mile away to dump in the extremely well maintained backyard pool to make it look like a fake drowning because the rehab clinic already had a recent suicide and another death on the premises would hurt their advertised "100% recovery rate".

The whole exploding alveoli in the lungs seemed completely ridiculous -- it wasn't like Greg Grunberg's character hooked the hose up to a water line or a compressor, he blew into the hose with his mouth.

Whoever wrote this crap needs to be fired ASAFP ?

ETA: To correct some plot points.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

The place ought to be shut down, given its laxity.  They don't have enough personnel to keep an eye on their patients?  Not even an alarm on the doors?  

It wasn't the councilor, though, who had sex with her, it was one of the other patients.

It wasn't the councilor, though, who had sex with her, it was one of the other patients.

My mistake, but then that made about as little sense as the councilor (they were kind of interchangeable).  The other patient decides to fall off the wagon on a whim since party girl was already loaded and, what the hey, it's Vegas so why not ?  And where did all the booze come from -- is this the only rehab facility with a fully stocked bar ?

The place ought to be shut down, given its laxity.  They don't have enough personnel to keep an eye on their patients?  Not even an alarm on the doors?

Exactly. What kind of rehab facility keeps zero tabs on the nighttime activities of its in-patients ?  That's why these places are usually miles outside of town, to make it inconvenient to be able to get to places where they can partake of their vices.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
Stupid episode. The guy was an EMT, after he "accidentally" smother the victim he could have just started CPR and claim he found her unconscious.

Because being a murderer and losing your kids is so much more preferable to getting drunk in rehab and losing your kids.  What a waste of Greg Grunberg.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Because being a murderer and losing your kids is so much more preferable to getting drunk in rehab and losing your kids.  What a waste of Greg Grunberg.

The first time they showed him, I knew he was going to turn out to be the murderer.

• Love 3

Well to be fair we had a guest here at the hotel in Tucson who called his girlfriend in rehab and she left for the weekend because "they were mean and wouldn't let her drink." She spent the weekend with her drunk boyfriend and returned. Because it's a rehab facility for the ritzy the staff doesn't dare crack down on them or they'll leave with all that lovely money and tell their rich friends not to go.

The first time they showed him, I knew he was going to turn out to be the murderer.

Me too, although for awhile it looked like he might be red herring casting--except if that was the case, he would have been an earlier suspect.

Well to be fair we had a guest here at the hotel in Tucson who called his girlfriend in rehab and she left for the weekend because "they were mean and wouldn't let her drink." She spent the weekend with her drunk boyfriend and returned. Because it's a rehab facility for the ritzy the staff doesn't dare crack down on them or they'll leave with all that lovely money and tell their rich friends not to go.

But don't these fancy places prevent people from bringing booze and drugs onto the premises to tempt the other wealthy clients? Would Greg Gundberg's character at least be able to sue the place for not providing the controlled environment they promised?

ETA: I was annoyed/surprised/disappointed by the last scene between Finlay and the therapist. I was expecting Fin to at least point out that if they cared for the patients recovery, they would at least provide a substance free environment. Instead it was a "keep up the good work" kind of farewell.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

On the grounds of "The most recognisable actor did it", I couldn't decide if it was going to be Matt Parkman (Greg Grunberg) or Riley Finn (Marc Blucas) - as it happened, they were both involved. But while I can get the clinic owner wanting to cover up the death (venal, cowardly and probably criminal, but believable nonetheless) I really didn't get why the "I did it for my kids" guy went to such great lengths to fake up the crime scene. What's wrong with dumping her in the tub and hoping it's dismissed as a simple drowning? No doubt our heroic scientists would see through it but if somebody woke me at 3 in the morning I'd be had pressed to come up with a scenario more complex than "She drowned in the tub".

And can we please cut back on the judgemental CSIs? First we had Nick going on about how the owners were money grubbing scumbags (you'd think he'd have met enough rich folks in the course of his duties to know they're not all murderers) and then we get Finn (and to a lesser extent, Brody) assuming that any sex the victim had must have been non-consensual (because clearly wasted women have never been known to exercise poor judgement when it comes to having sex). OK, obviously any sexual encounter must have "ended badly" given the marks on he neck but they seemed to be going out of their way to impute crimes there was no evidence for. Oh for the days when Gil would warn his underlings of reasoning in advance of the evidence!