Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: And the Brand Job

Lisin

That's kind of how I felt about the episode... "Bueller? Bueller?" Spending money on these seminars isn't going to help revive what is ultimately a falling trend. If anything, they should be branching out into other baked goods and not focusing solely on cupcakes. Max did go to pastry school. (Did she graduate or did the school just run out of money and everyone was kind of left in the lurch, I don't recall).  Can she decorate cakes? If the cupcakes taste good (the weird anomolous episode where she used a mix notwithstanding), she should be able to expand into regular sized cakes and work in that direction. I also get why they do sell cupcakes at the hours they do them, but those can't be the best business hours. 

• Love 1

Yeah, it feels like it they've gotten about as much mileage out of the cupcake business they can get. They're never going to get rich off this idea. And for someone who's supposed to be business savvy (or at least thinks she is), Caroline should realize that. That was, after all, her motive from the start - to return to the upper echelon of society she fell from. She's not going to get there selling cupcakes out a window in Williamsburg at 2:00 in the morning. 

I also can't believe she'd waste good money of some dumb branding seminar if she graduated from Wharton. Surely she already knows more than the scam artist running this thing and would recognize that.

• Love 4

The cupcake business is going nowhere for these two, and neither is this show.

I was amazed when they showed Caroline in the shop and we saw the cupcakes on a rack behind her.  The icing was all hideous primary colors like a kid's birthday party.  Nothing decorated with taste or skill.  They look like they were made at home by an amateur homemaker.  If we're supposed to feel the girls' frustration at not getting ahead, maybe we could be given to understand that they give a damn about this business.  Branding is not the problem.  They have eyes, they see what the other bakeries are offering, and their stuff looks like crap.  Brand that!

• Love 1

I do still like this show however after reading Kat's tweet that this was the show she laughed at the most I had higher expectations and it wasn't even up to the normal bad level of most of the episodes.  Makes me wonder about her sense of humor.  Like I said, I still like the show and do frequently laugh at it most weeks but this week just did nothing for me.  

For once Sophie and the one and only canned laughter is a time to celebrate.  I'm sorry my jaw dropped when Caroline said the fee for that seminar was $1000.  What a joke and such a scam that that thing was that much money.  All it showed was how a con artist scams people out of money.  I don't know what bothered me more Caroline falling for the scam or Max going along with it. I think that fortune teller for $100 bucks could have given you more insight on your business than the $1000 scammer.

Edited by Crucial
  • Love 1

They lost me when they picked up the Pamela and Ellen badges. I know the writers were trying to milk laughs out of "Ellen" dancing and the girls not remembering their names. But just before that scene, the lady at the desk called out for Max and Caroline, indicating they were signed up and presumably had their own badges.

• Love 2

They lost me when they picked up the Pamela and Ellen badges. I know the writers were trying to milk laughs out of "Ellen" dancing and the girls not remembering their names. But just before that scene, the lady at the desk called out for Max and Caroline, indicating they were signed up and presumably had their own badges.

"Max" and "Caroline" hadn't yet paid for the seminar.  The lady calling out names indicated they'd have to pay.  I guess they presumed "Ellen" and "Pamela" had so they would get away without paying, although why they would presume "Ellen" and "Pamela" had paid $1,000 each and then not showed up is beyond me. I don't care what the topic is, if I paid $1,000 to go I'm going.