Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Continuing with the Church them, listening to "Under the Milky Way" had me wanting to go listen to this other song as well:

I love the guitar in this song. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

She's gorgeous on that cover 

This is the one song of hers I do recall when it came out.  

So it seems you are impressed with her catalogue overall? 

Eh, I wouldn't say impressed, but she's alright. Though, not really a fan of her early stuff. She became "good" to listen to for me during her late eighties early nineties period.

Nineteenth Cher album "Living Proof (Deluxe Edition) (2001). Well, another dance-track album mostly. This one might be the weakest one of them.

(edited)

Twentieth Cher album "Closer to the Truth (Deluxe Edition)" (2011). This one is quite better than her last one. Still, does not hold a candle to her 89-2000 albums

Edited by Rushmoras
(edited)

You know what, f' it, let's just say that Cher's "Closer to the Truth (Deluxe Edition)" (2011) was the final album, because the other two are ABBA's covers (from Mama Mia) and Christmas songs.

So, as always, subjective assessments of each album:

1. All I Really Want To Do (1965) - 6.7/10 [Best songs: Needles and Pins; He Thinks I Still Care; Dream Baby; Girl Don’t Come; Blowin in the Wind]

2. The Sonny Side of Cher (1966) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down); Young Girl (Une Enfante); Ol’ Man River; Come to Your Window; It’s Not Unusual; Milord]

3. Cher (1966) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me; Magic in the Air (I Feel Something in the Air); Will You Love Me Tomorrow?; Homeward Bound; I Want You]

4. With Love, Cher (1967) - 8/10 [Best songs: You Better Sit Down, Kids; Mama (When My Dollies Have Babies); Behind the Door; There But For Fortune; The Times They’re Changing]

5. Backstage (1968) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Carnival; Masters of War; I Wasn’t Ready; Take Me For a Little While]

6. 3614 Jackson Highway (1969) - 7.3/10 [Best songs: For What It’s Worth; I Threw It All Away; I Walk on Guilded Splinters; Lay, Baby, Lay; Cry Like a Baby; Save the Children]

7. Chastity Original Motion Soundtrack (1969) - 10/10 [Best songs: Chastity’s Song (Band of Thieves); Flowers (Love of a Family)]

8. Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves (1971) - 8/10 [Best songs: Gipsies, Tramps and Thieves; Fire & Rain; I Hate to Sleep Alone; Touch and Go]

9. Foxy Lady (1972) - 10/10 [Best songs: I Might As Well Stay Monday (From Now On); Song For You; Don’t Try to Close a Rose; Let Me Down Easy; If I Knew Then; Don’t Hide Your Love]

10. Half-Breed (1973) - 8.2/10 [Best songs: Two People Clinging to a Thread; Half-Breed; Greatest Song I Ever Heard; Carousel Man; David’s Song; The Long and Winding Road; The God-Forsaken Day; Chastity’s Sun]

11. Dark Lady (1974) - 8/10 [Best songs: Train of Thought; Make the Man Love Me; Dark Lady; Dixie Girl; Rescue Me; Apples Don‘t Fall Farm From a Tree]

12. Take Me Home (1979) - 7.8/10 [Best songs: Take Me Home; Happy Was the Day We Met; Git Down (Guitar Groupie); Love and Pain; It’s Too Late to Love Me Now; My Song (Too Far Gone)]

13. Prisoner (1979) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Holding Out for Love; Boys & Girls; Mirror Image; Holy Smoke!]

14. Cher (1987) - 7/10 [Best songs: Bang Bang (1987 Version); Main Man; Give Our Love A Fighting Chance; Dangerous Times; Working Girl]

15. Heart of Stone (1989) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: If I Could Turn Back Time; You Wouldn’t Know Love; Emotional Fire; All Because of You; Does Anybody Really Fall in Love Anymore?; Kiss to Kiss; After All (Love Theme From Chances Are)]

16. Love Hurts (1991) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Love And Understanding; I’ll Never Stop Loving You; A World Without Heroes; Could Have Been You; When Love Calls Your Name; Who You Gonna Believe; The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s In His Kiss)]

17. It's A Man's World (1995) - 7.9/10 [Best songs: Walking in Memphis; Not Enough Love in the World; Angels Running; What About the Moonlight; The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore; Shape of Things to Come]

18. Believe (1998) - 8/10 [Best songs: Believe; Runaway; All or Nothing; Strong Enough; Dov’e l’amore]

19. Living Proof (Deluxe Edition) (2001) - 6.4/10 [Best songs: The Music’s Not Good Without You; Rain Rain; Love So High; Body to Body, Hear to Heart; Love is a Lonely Place Without You; Love One Another; The Look]

20. Closer to the Truth (Deluxe Edition) (2013) - 7.1/10 [Best songs: Dressed to Kill; Lovers Forever; I Walk Alone; Sirens; I Hope You Find It; You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me]

Average score: 7.77/10

Next in line will be Ritchie Sambora (from Bon Jovi), and then something heavier, like Halloween or something...

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Next in line will be Ritchie Sambora (from Bon Jovi), and then something heavier, like Halloween or something...

Cannibal Corpse! How can you go wrong with such lyrical sophistication as 'Stab hack slash kill, Stab hack slash kill, Stab hack slash kill, Stab hack slash kill, Die butcher, Rage of hate' from Puncture Wound Massacre, off their Vile album? You will be touched by their music, but possibly not how and/or where you want to be touched...

• LOL 2

So, started Ritchie Samborra's discography. First album "Stranger in this Town (Extended Edition)" (1991). Pure blues-rock album through and through, ballads upon ballads. While listening to it, I remembered the same criticism I had with Iron Maiden, whereas with Iron Maiden I disliked their over-played choruses where they repeat two lines in a row for 5 minutes straight it seems, here, Ritchie overplays his solos to the point that I'm just no longer invested in the song. Still, as his solo album outside from Bon Jovi band, pretty neat.

Second Richie Sambora album "Undiscovered Soul" (1998). More of the same as the first one, except that all the songs are even slower. You know, I think I know why he never took of in his solo career - outside a couple of songs, he sounds very dull and monotonic.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Last Richie Sambora album "Aftermath of the Lowdown" (2012). I'll be honest, after hearing the first couple of songs, I was very sceptical of this, because, well, first of, in his first song, Richie was mumbling incoherently, and the rest of the songs were kinda wonky, but after Sugar Daddy, the album actually surprised me in a good way. Also, I think I've heard a couple of songs on the album or at least some riffs that he is using, because they were pretty recognizable from somewhere...

So, as always, subjective assessments of each album:

1. Stranger in This Town (Expanded Edition) (1991) - 7.3/10 [Best songs: Ballad of Youth; One Light Burning; Rosie; The Answer]

2. Undiscovered Soul (1998) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Made in America; Fallen From Graceland; If God Was a Woman; In It For Love; Chained; Harlem Rain; Who I Am; Undiscovered Soul]

3. Aftermath of the Lowdown (2012) - 8.2/10 [Best songs: Every Road Leads Home to You; Weathering the Storm; Sugar Daddy; I’ll Always Walk Beside You; Seven Years Gone; Learning How to Fly with a Broken Wing; You Can Only Get so High; World]

Average score: 7.7/10

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Palimelon said:

I'm surprised he didn't release another solo album or two after he parted ways with Bon Jovi.

Didn't he have problems with alcohol back then?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah but he did rehab in the early 2010s and hasn't had any issues since. So it's been almost a decade.

He did a duo project called RSO that released a couple of EPs and one album, but still, I'm surprised he hasn't released more. Especially since Bon Jovi released 4 or 5 albums after he left.

• Useful 2

Well, as "promised", started something heavier. Helloween's first album "Walls of Jericho [2024 Remaster] (1985)". I honestly never heard any of their songs, but I have heard of the band though. And, after listening to their Ride the Sky live concert version from that album - I'm convinced that Michael Kiske sounds better live than on the recording :D

• Like 1

Second Halloween album "Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I (2024 Remaster) (1987)". Very Rainbow music inspired album (probably because in the same genre).

(edited)

I don't have any opinions on the game this song is from. I like the song itself. The good part is after the guy at the beginning is done and his wife starts singing.....🙃

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Third Helloween album "The Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II" (2024 Remaster) (1988). Almost 10/10, save for that one song, and significantly better than Part I. I'd call the album - band Rainbow meets band Iron Maiden...

• Like 2
(edited)

Fourth Helloween album "Pink Bubbles Go Ape (Expanded Edition) (1991). Pretty mid album wise, not gonna lie, though song wise - the one's that are good they are actually better produced than their previous catalogue. Also, by the end they switch their aggressive tone in vocal delivery to sound pop music as hell :D, sorry, what I meant to say, they went on to emulate other artists. For example, Les Hambourgeois Walkways eerily reminds of Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore..., which I find funny

For example, this song:

Hambourgeois Walkways:

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1

Fifth Helloween album "Chameleon" (1993). It is comprised from two CDs. One CD is actually decent, the other - not so much. However, this ain't metal. Maybe pop rock, I guess (reminds me of what Imagine Dragons play).

Sixth Helloween album - "Master of the Rings (Expanded Edition) (1994). This time, back to their own genre of music. Maybe not as good as previous one, but decent as well.

• Like 1

A break from my usual metal, I hope you can all forgive me. But from today's Rings of Power, we have Old Tom Bombadil. Words by JRR Tolkien, arranged by Bear McCreary, performed by Rufus Wainwright. Just a great performance.

• Like 2
(edited)

Seventh Helloween album "The Time of the Oath" (1996). Another two cd album. Personally, I believe that it's kinda of an overkill at this point (at least listening back to back), cause cd2 always is kinda meh in comparison (or vice versa). Also, kinda mono music sounding album. Would need a remaster IMO (and judging from youtube vid, they did a remaster in 2020)...

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1
(edited)

Lyrics

Spoiler

"Dying To Live"

Tell me this, would you miss it
Trying on another face again to see if it's you?
And wondering where you've been
And where you're gonna find yourself before the night is through

I know the way you go, 'cause I've been the same for too long
Like I'm fearful that my choices are all wrong
I know the way you go, 'cause I've lived your life of make believe
Dying to live, dying to live, dying to live

Tell me this, is it lonely
In the shadows of a masquerade for life you hide behind?
What's the deal with your reasons
To run away and let your feelings leave you undefined?

I know the way you go, 'cause I've lived your live of make believe
Dying to live, oh

Behind me now the winding road they sing of
I've come to stand before a silent wall
Finally a chance to find a question
To point out the right answer after all this time

So rid us of the plight
The plight of self affliction
Generations choice
The drug of self deception

Dying to live, oh

---

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Lyrics

Reveal spoiler

"Dying To Live"

Tell me this, would you miss it
Trying on another face again to see if it's you?
And wondering where you've been
And where you're gonna find yourself before the night is through

Tell me this, is it lonely
In the shadows of a masquerade for life you hide behind?
What's the deal with your reasons
To run away and let your feelings leave you undefined?

I know the way you go, 'cause I've lived your live of make believe
Dying to live, oh

Behind me now the winding road they sing of
I've come to stand before a silent wall
Finally a chance to find a question
To point out the right answer after all this time

So rid us of the plight
The plight of self affliction
Generations choice
The drug of self deception

Dying to live, oh

---

Poets of the Fall. Nice. First time heard of them years ago through Alan Wake I video-game in 2010. In it, they were a band called Old Gods of Asgard.

• Like 1

Ninth Helloween album "Metal Jukebox" (1999). At first I thought that it was just covers done in metal up until Space Oddity (if I'm not mistaken by David Bowie?), but then I guess they made some orginal songs or at least covers that I have no idea what are the originals. Anyways, I guess, pretty mid.

Tenth Helloween album "Rabbit Don't Come Easy" (2003). Might be a play on "Love Don't Come Easy", cause I swear the start of the first song is just like that song, and then it swiftly changes lol. Anyways, first of their albums that I would say its 10 out of 10.

• Like 1