Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

nachomama and Ocean Chick.  Feel Better.  As someone who has had the lung crud already, I'll warn you just in case you have the same strain as everyone I know has had.  Whatever is going around this year comes back.  When it seems like its gone don't let up on the treatment.  Kill it until its dead lest it go dormant because its bad the first time and freaking super otc med resistant the second time.  Its finally gone after like six weeks.

Earthquakes now?  We spent the whole holiday talking about how weird it was that it was 75 degrees Christmas day (more than twice normal temps).  And the phones have been sending flash flood warnings for days.  Good thing I'm not near a creek or river.

• Love 1

Yes...I am very ready for 2016. Let's all get this one behind us and all move on to better things!

I have to do a quick shopping run, then I'll be heading to our friends' for the evening. We will be eating all kinds of tasty, bad for us food, drinking all kinds of "adult beverages", and playing Zombicide, Dead of Winter, and other "save the world from the impending apocalypse" type boardgames.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2016! Happy New Year everyone!

• Love 1

Happy New Year all. I'm working today but looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and then meeting a friend for an early matinee of Star Wars. With luck most of the city will be sleeping in too and the movie won't be too crowded.

I'm currently reading my way through The Expanse series and watching the show. Anyone else into it?

Ah, but you might! A crockpot is not "real" cooking...all yo have to do is chop, slice, mix, add to crockpot and 6 to 8 hours later you have yummy food (ugly and anemic looking...but yummy!). I might just starve without mine.

I watched the first episode of "The Expanse". There is certainly enough there for me to watch more, I just need some more time so I can start watching and deleting shows from my pvr.

Still a ways off...

From: Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 12:15:00 PM (Pacific time)
To: Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 6:00:00 PM (Pacific time)
Result: 42 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes and 0 seconds

The duration is 42 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes and 0 seconds

Or 1 month, 11 days excluding the end date

Alternative time units

42 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes and 0 seconds can be converted to one of these units:

• 3,649,500 seconds
• 60,825 minutes
• 1013 hours (rounded down)
• 42 days (rounded down)
• 6 weeks

• Love 2

That's either really hopeful or a long, long time. 

It feels like a long, long time, but I've been distracting myself with a full-series marathon of Fringe. After that, I'm thinking Jericho and Survivors.

Of course, the 6-episode return of The X-Files begins on Sunday, January 24th at 10 PM, although couldn't they have picked a different night?

The X-files is Showtime, right? 

I watched Colony, with Whorie (Lorie) She at least seemed like a good mother, although, they did lose track of one son during an alien invasion. And I've watched a few Mr. Robot. Seems like a good show but on Demand doesn't have all or even episodes in order so I saw 2, 4 and now I can get 8-9 so if you don't need a storyline that connects, whee!

Oh I forgot, Greg Nicotero did some of the make up effects for Hateful 8, I thought I recognized his brain splatter. 

• Love 1

I'm a little sad that David Bowie has gone into outer space. I wouldn't really have called myself a big fan, I've never had an album, can't say I understand the Ziggy Stardust years but since everyone has been posting their favorites I'm rather shocked how much I actually know. Even if I wasn't the most familiar with all of his music he was a truly fascinating and unique person. 

Been a fan since Hunky Dory.

Ziggy Stardust was phenomenal.

And Low was, simply put, the best of the best.

I am very very sad.

I know, me too.  It's a very weird feeling and I don't know how to describe it.  I listened to a lot of Bowie and I feel like that nostalgia has been yanked out from under my feet.

• Love 2

Then there were law suits. The chick claimed she was drugged. I cannot remember a single storyline to grizzly Adams. What was he doing in the mountains with that bear? Was it Olden days or was it modern? Modern aka 1970's.

I know what (some of) you are thinking: "Doesn't she have anything better to do?" The answer should be obvious.

To: Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 6:00:00 PM (Pacific)
Result: 28 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 0 seconds

The duration is 28 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 0 seconds

Alternative time units

28 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 0 seconds can be converted to one of these units:

• 2,431,800 seconds
• 40,530 minutes
• 675 hours (rounded down)
• 28 days (rounded down)
• 4 weeks

• Love 2

This is nuts! I thought I was getting a phone call tonight that my former boss' brother had died. I know he had to rush down and his brother is battling lung cancer. For now he just needs me to check mail and ship some stuff. But seriously 2016 you've made your point. Stop with the killing already

• Love 2

I know!!!  I loved! the Eagles, well, still do.  WTH people!  And by the way, who would have ever thought Joe Walsh would out live ANYONE in that band!!

For that matter, I'm continually surprised every time Joe Walsh outlives the last oil change on his car.

• Love 2

After Alan Rickman and David Bowie, I couldn't stop that old saying from popping into my head: "Everything comes in threes." :(

I'm continually surprised every time Joe Walsh outlives the last oil change on his car.

And it seems Keith Richards will outlive them all. Such irony.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

After Alan Rickman and David Bowie, I couldn't stop that old saying from popping into my head: "Everything comes in threes." :(

The whole "comes in threes" thing is one of the things that really bothers me, considering Lemmy and Bowie passed away within two weeks of each other; I'd have thought Rickman rounded out that set. Is Glenn the start of another set of threes? :(

Anyone still have the receipt for 2016 laying around? Because I already want to return it.

And it seems Keith Richards will outlive them all. Such irony.

Such is the value of frequent blood changes.

• Love 3

Such is the value of frequent blood changes.

I didn't think he had any left and assumed only controlled substances filling his veins are what keeps him alive. He should be on TWD. If anyone could survive a holocaust of any kind - including nuclear -  he's the man.

• Love 1

I didn't think he had any left and assumed only controlled substances filling his veins are what keeps him alive. He should be on TWD. If anyone could survive a holocaust of any kind - including nuclear -  he's the man.

Picturing a post-apocalyptic world with a population consisting solely of Keith Richards and cockroaches....

• Love 2

I'm not sure why I'm excited about this but I'm going to one of those asian restaurants where you cook your own stuff tonight. I could stay home and cook and that's not exciting but going out, paying, and still cooking it yourself is fun. anywhoo..

I now know why it's good I have no kids. I went out with some friends the other evening and we stopped for something quick to eat before our show. This place is a bar/restaurant it's not UN-family friendly but it's still not the place I typically would haul my 3 year old. I felt like we got seated at the kids table for thanksgiving. 2 families with young kids were in there. Normally I don't care or notice if they make noise, the place isn't quiet and they won't disturb other diners, truly. So at one table a family with 2 little ones and first they have under 3 drinking from a regular people glass, not a sippy cup. Not a surprise that it gets spilled and she just looks at it. She wasn't being bad but it struck me as moronic that they didn't come prepared. If you have a 3 year old you have a sippy cup. Then the child gets up to wander. Do you let your child wander? No she wasn't wandering into the bar section but all she said was "Natalie we aren't leaving yet, we have to eat" she didn't come get the child, put her in her seat. It was as if it were completely optional whether the kid actually be there with her family or if she chose to join anyone else in the room. Second group was 2 families each with 3 kids under 3! Well, 1 wasn't born but coulda been right there at the table any minute. and one was less than 6 months in the little carry thing. So that leaves 4 kids screaming and 4 adults. The chicks were talking pregnancy things and the men were hipsters. Apparently I was witnessing hipster parenting. They discovered spaghetti and meatballs was a bad idea for a kid under 3. When "daddy" was going to pay the bill and junior had endless questions why, why why why the answer was "you can't pay for it because the card has daddy's name on it. you can't pay until you have a card" which struck me as endlessly funny.  The child was trying to negotiate a different flavor of ice cream and the server person explained they only have vanilla. 

I would be an utter failure at parenting, I know this. I'm not patient and I appreciate that these parents were. My father's response to any questions was "hush". I know if any adult spoke to me when I was a kid I had completely different behavior than with my parents. I would't argue with the waitress about vanilla ice cream where at home I'm sure I'd be a pest and whine. I also think if I had 3 kids under 3 I'd only go to McDonalds because they get an outlet and maybe me too and for pity's sake the kid isn't throwing spaghetti and meatballs at other diners. 3 times the staff had to come clean up either the drink or the spaghetti and on the way out I heard one mom exclaim "let me just check if she's wet" and it wasn't a peak it was lay the kid down on the table and thank god that kid hadn't left a load because have you forgotten you're in public? It wasn't fine dining but it struck me as so wrong. 

I have a poster in my office that says "We need to start worrying about what kind of world we are going to leave for Keith Richards."

Hola everyone, I hope things have been well with you all!  I haven't been able to get on here, kept getting security errors when I would try to post!

Ugh all these brilliant people dying....That's how it's been in my life with people I really know for the last 4 years.  The death needs to take a small break for a little while....

• Love 5

I was just wondering how you and the fam are holding up during the great TN blizzard!

Well... I spent a few years working with an outfit in Anchorage, so I doubt my perspective accurately reflects that of most Tennesseans.

My family, on the other hand, think it sucks.

;)

• Love 2