Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

So, how's everyone been in the past month or so?  Same ol' same ol' personally, for the most part.

• Verrrrrry slowly but (I think) surely getting over a sight problem, in the right eye, I've had since [at least] the night Try aired, maybe even Spend.  Not having whatever-'perfect'-vision is for both eyes is such an unbelievable annoyance, let me tell ya.

• My Chicago Blackhawks won their 3rd Stanley Cup in 6 seasons the other night.  That was definitely cool, and was a great ride.

• Golden State beat LBJ and the Cavs to win it all (NBA).  Suck it, 'Bron-Bron'!!

Unfortunately, no amusing "dick cake" or similar situations to share with you all.

iRarely, I'm assuming/hoping you got the eye checked out, and didn't just sit through slow improvements...I wouldn't take a chance on eyesight!

I'm a mom of school-aged children, so this is a busy time of year with various end-of-year events as well as working on summer plans, but it's mostly coming together.

Oh yes get your peepers checked. Hell if I get teeth yanked outta my head you can get poked in the eye.

End of the year school stuff Is the pits. We just had the most slammed week ever. We print graduation programs for area high schools as well as an entire university chain. Today I collated 8,000 programs and stayed late 3 hours. Money yay! But this week 2 cutters broke and you name it, if it could go wrong it did. Had to redo 1,400 programs because the girl took corrections over the phone and Didnt check her email, there were more corrections. That's not on our end that's them not compiling their lists good.

iRarely, I'm assuming/hoping you got the eye checked out, and didn't just sit through slow improvements...I wouldn't take a chance on eyesight!

I'm a mom of school-aged children, so this is a busy time of year with various end-of-year events as well as working on summer plans, but it's mostly coming together.

I sort of did both, Too Late Kev (& nachomama).  It took me pretty much a couple of months or so to get to the Optometrist office, but I did go.... and now I am just sitting around waiting for the eye-sight to go back to the way it should be... but I have a valid reason for not really doing anything for it:  Optometrist's orders. 

They did a scan of my eyes and there is a fluid-induced swelling around the macula in the back of my right eye, that the doc says the only it can really 'heal' is just with time (and patience; oh God, the patience!!).  Going back on the 13th to check on its condition and to see if the swelling is going down, or staying same - or God-forbid, getting worse.

{I didn't go right away because I wasn't sure if it would take some sort of 'aggressively' corrective steps to fix it [ie, surgery, etc], and I didn't have the time off to use at work, so I had to wait until I had a weeks' vacation, and got it looked at then.}

• Love 3

Do they know what's causing it? Freaky deaky. Do you get a cool eye patch or anything? You can be the guv'na!

The doc says its something sorta commonly seen in males in my age group (something like 30-49).  He says the thing that usually causes it is stress in an individual's life.  I don't exactly live a carefree life of champagne and caviar, but its not that bad.  So not real sure the root cause - I thought about telling him I was really bummed about having to wait for the start to S6 of TWD, so that might be a stress-ful deal, but held my tongue.  

And sadly no, no eye-parch.  I could totally be the guv'na!  (as long as there's an 'Andrea' or 'Lilly' thrown in the deal...)

...without all the sadism and murdering.

Nah.  If I wear an eye-parch, sadism and homicidal tendencies are included;  their a package deal. 

"I Spy, with my one eye, stabbing you in the back with a big knife and sneering cruelly the whole time you lay bleeding out."

• Love 3

I don't really think I can go into the ZA without Air conditioning. It's been seriously hot and I just don't want be Corallllllll with the greasy looking dripping wet locks of hair. I don't want pit stains. When survival depends on running away in the heat I'll be all "no, save yourselves, I'd rather be eaten". My bunk in the treehouse better have a breeze.

• Love 6

I don't really think I can go into the ZA without Air conditioning. It's been seriously hot and I just don't want be Corallllllll with the greasy looking dripping wet locks of hair. I don't want pit stains. When survival depends on running away in the heat I'll be all "no, save yourselves, I'd rather be eaten". My bunk in the treehouse better have a breeze.

Heat and humidity is a deal breaker for menopausal me, too.  I'd be heading to the temperate Pacific Northwest, if Casa de Deplorable became unlivable.  I can see myself now, trying to catch all my semi-feral cats and my friendliest raccoon who thinks she's a cat, and finding suitable transport for us all.  Should be fun.  The trip would take forever, though, because I'd constantly be stopping to pick up strays (animals, not people or zombies).  While everyone else is looting grocery stores, I'll be emptying the pet stores!  :-)

Come to think of it, I don't even need to trap my critters - if I leave the back door open they'll all come in, because they are convinced the indoor cat food is somehow superior, and half of them are fascinated by my indoor cat (not to mention my "interior decorating").  My friendliest raccoon spends more than half the night laying in a cat bed perch looking in my back window - either watching me nap or watching TV, while waiting for me to get up and get her treats (hot dogs & raw eggs are her faves).

• Love 1

My friendliest raccoon spends more than half the night laying in a cat bed perch looking in my back window - either watching me nap or watching TV, while waiting for me to get up and get her treats (hot dogs & raw eggs are her faves).

I'm getting a Grey Gardens vibe here.

• Love 1

I'm getting a Grey Gardens vibe here.

You haven't stalked my profile, or read my numerous references to Grey Gardens West, editorgrrl!  I wish I could remember the poster who renamed my hovel "Casa de Deplorable", but at the time, I told them I was totally stealing it.  Next time my old Mum visits from Canada, I'll be digging through my treasures looking for a headscarf (but I will NOT wear pantyhose!).  :-D

• Love 1

Aren't pantyhose terrible? I just remember them slowly falling and walking like a penguin because they're about to my knees after church. And hot sweaty thighs. no thanks. 

How do I teach my really dumb cat to use the cat hammock? I physically put him in it. My other cat loved loved loved his little hammock by the window. This one is too dumb to get in it. And I've put a larger pet water bottle outside (it's the screened porch still inside yet outside) because it's so darned hot. So I marched him up to it and smooshed his face in it so that it got him wet, thinking oh, hey he will learn that he can drink here. It stays fresher than a bowl on the ground that he continually drags toys through or knocks over. Oh my god he used to drive me nuts with little fuzzy balls, he chased them around the house the brighter color purple and red were his favorites and that son of a bitch would always ALWAYS go dunk the fuckers in the water dish and then I find the damn thing in my bed! I lay down on something wet and squishy. 

• Love 1
(edited)

You haven't stalked my profile, or read my numerous references to Grey Gardens West, editorgrrl!  I wish I could remember the poster who renamed my hovel "Casa de Deplorable", but at the time, I told them I was totally stealing it.  Next time my old Mum visits from Canada, I'll be digging through my treasures looking for a headscarf (but I will NOT wear pantyhose!).  :-D

It's the best costume for the day! I remember reading that Little Edie had put on weight, which is why she turned her skirts upside down and/or rigged things like this:

Nachomama, haven't you learned that cats'll sleep and drink wherever the hell they please? He's not dumb—he's stubborn.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Well if he's too stubborn to drink and dies I feel bad. And I don't care if he's comfy for his naps but damn to pass up a sweet spot like that is dumb. I paid for it so of course I want him to use it, walnutqueen's raccoon sure would. 

• Love 2

Aren't pantyhose terrible? I just remember them slowly falling and walking like a penguin because they're about to my knees after church. And hot sweaty thighs. no thanks. 

How do I teach my really dumb cat to use the cat hammock? I physically put him in it. My other cat loved loved loved his little hammock by the window. This one is too dumb to get in it. And I've put a larger pet water bottle outside (it's the screened porch still inside yet outside) because it's so darned hot. So I marched him up to it and smooshed his face in it so that it got him wet, thinking oh, hey he will learn that he can drink here. It stays fresher than a bowl on the ground that he continually drags toys through or knocks over. Oh my god he used to drive me nuts with little fuzzy balls, he chased them around the house the brighter color purple and red were his favorites and that son of a bitch would always ALWAYS go dunk the fuckers in the water dish and then I find the damn thing in my bed! I lay down on something wet and squishy. 

The cat toys represent prey.  He is drowning and tenderizing his catch.

It's the best costume for the day! I remember reading that Little Edie had put on weight, which is why she turned her skirts upside down and/or rigged things like this:

Nachomama, haven't you learned that cats'll sleep and drink wherever the hell they please? He's not dumb—he's stubborn.

I gained way more weight than Edie ever dreamed of (from anorexic to Buddha belly - thanks to menopause).  Those clothes have always been awful.  The bigger I get, the less I wear!  :-)  Oh, and half my kitties would rather drink from the scummy almost-empty swimming pool pond than from the fresh water bowl.  And only a few of them drink the daily milk - they LOVE it.  In the wild, cats don't need nearly as much water as we might imagine; it all depends on the food source (and the whims of the individual feline, it would seem).

Well if he's too stubborn to drink and dies I feel bad. And I don't care if he's comfy for his naps but damn to pass up a sweet spot like that is dumb. I paid for it so of course I want him to use it, walnutqueen's raccoon sure would. 

I have a stand-alone cat hammock outside.  A couple of the cats just love it; others lie underneath it for shade, and the raccoon just knocks it over trying to climb in.   :-)

Every time I start to feel sorry for myself and my abject life, I just look over my shoulder at night and see that contented little masked face hanging over the edge of the cat bed looking in; or I watch the birds, bees, butterflies, fishies, possum, skunk, coons and cats all sharing my backyard "hellhole" - and all is right in my universe! 

• Love 2

Haven't been around in a bit because of an odd issue. With life-eating job (seven days the past three weeks!) I've been using the iPad at work and service has been scrappy as hell. We got an extender for the router, bitched out the service provider and had a tech guy in. Turns out the video monitors we use to watch the infants nap are basically incompatible with everything. Plug those things in and bye-bye Internet. Charged, they're fine but otherwise? Forget it. It took us an embarrassingly long time to put the pieces together.

Other than skewing wildly between I-hate-my-job-want-to-quit and that-was-a-good-day-I-love-my-job, not much else has been going on. I still haven't seen Jurassic World because of work. I haven't watched a lot of TV because of work, though I'm still enjoying Wayward Pines and feeling sorry for writers sitting on good work while crap like Between airs.

• Love 2

He needs to tenderize, NOT in my bed. I know if they get ahold of a mouse or a lizard etc they like to present it to you like "voila, lookee I bring gifts" and it's gross. I stalked him stalking a tiny lizard once, they come in through the screen on the porch, once he had it, I took it from him and released it back to the wild, hopefully he lived, perhaps not. but my cat is not a great hunter, he's a goofus. 

I checked out the new season of "True Detective" dunno if I'll stick with it. Reading my "Game of Thrones", waiting on "Fear the Walking Dead" and I go through the same work cycle. It's always hate for the weekend job, and I love my weekday job, just not who I do it for. I don't need anyone to clap for me for doing my job well, but seriously no one can thrive in an environment where you can do nothing right. Trust me, I do not suck at my job. My customers love me. I get things done in spite of the way things run not because of them. I'm sure the kids love you, Irishmaple, even if they make you nuts with their needs, like food and water and clean tuschies. Think of Cuba and make them serve you for a change. You'll sleep when you're dead. 

If I could give anyone any advise, it would be to remember that a J.O.B. is just that, and not your life.  All this stress, angst and injury will not serve you well when you are old - IF you even get there.  Take it from someone who fucked it all up.  :-)

• Love 1

If I could give anyone any advise, it would be to remember that a J.O.B. is just that, and not your life.  All this stress, angst and injury will not serve you well when you are old - IF you even get there.  Take it from someone who fucked it all up.  :-)

Me, too! My company got taken over, and I'm being laid off at the end of the month. I am so grateful—my job was killing me. (I suspect my Hashimoto's—autoimmune thyroid disease—stems at least in part from job stress.) My boss immediately made it all about her, and now the office manager is making it all about her. A co-worker declined to sign a contract with the new company, and last week two others got into a screaming match.

I'm getting severance, and I know I'll find another job. It's seriously the best thing that ever could've happened to me. And now I get to have a summer vacation!

• Love 3

Me, too! My company got taken over, and I'm being laid off at the end of the month. I am so grateful—my job was killing me. (I suspect my Hashimoto's—autoimmune thyroid disease—stems at least in part from job stress.) My boss immediately made it all about her, and now the office manager is making it all about her. A co-worker declined to sign a contract with the new company, and last week two others got into a screaming match.

I'm getting severance, and I know I'll find another job. It's seriously the best thing that ever could've happened to me. And now I get to have a summer vacation!

Good for you, editorgrrl!  Take care of your health first and your finances second (conserve, conserve, conserve!).  Then remember to enjoy every free moment you have. 

And when all else fails and you are totally destitute (that means contemplating standing on a freeway exit with a sign saying "Will Work For Cat Food"), you can apply for the position of heir apparent to Grey Gardens West/Casa De Deplorable.  My Queendom for an animal steward!  Not half joking - this is a real deal.  :-)

• Love 1

I'd love to say screw it but I'm a week out of the poorhouse at best. I keep looking. 

Credenza boy just chastised me for not getting a name and phone number for someone to update a quote. her name is her email, thanks so very much and I did ask for her phone number and she said "just email it", he's very concerned that he addresses each customer by name, it's very car salesmany of him. He has noted that I sometime don't capitalize things in my emails. (I don't capitalize my own name cuz that's how I like it dammit) and as much as he thinks first name usage endears him to our clients, they like me because I'm less formal. If we have been working on a problem and we finally solve it, I shoot back emails of "yippee and hallelujah" I do this on a case by case basis, I know these people and have done work for them for years. I only do it with my peeps, my homies, I'm not so slackadaisical in my business emails. But I keep it real. And for a guy so concerned that I'm dropping the ball on clients, last week he took so long getting a quote back that she had already ordered elsewhere. And I had a name, number, email all the bells and whistles. 

I can't even stand to think about having to go through a ZA in the heat and humid climate of the midwest - can only imagine how much worse it is/would be in the south/southeast.  I'd go on murdering rampages - be it zombies or human - just cuz of that alone.

I can deal with the heat, but its the humidity that breaks the deal.  There's nothing like having to go outside after rain/storm passes through, from an air-conditioned place.  Similar to walking into a sauna type of environment, usually a good distance from work's entrance out to the car in the farther reaches of the parking lot... and then the vehicle doesn't start blowing out cooler/cold almost as soon as the AC is activated.  One of my own personal versions of Hell.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd love to say screw it but I'm a week out of the poorhouse at best. I keep looking. 

I took up permanent residence in the poorhouse years ago, and gave up even thinking about looking - apparently I am only able to qualify for phone sex and drug trials ...

But HEY!  I just made $100 for sitting in a cat treat focus group for 2 hours.  I found the ad on Craigslist and DIDN'T get murdered!!!  Next up : $45 to look at pictures with an EEG cap on my head for 2 1/2 hours at a university research lab.  I am in pigshit heaven - it's the first time I've been able to subsidize my miniscule pension.  If only I could get a camera and an EBay mentor, I could make enough selllng my treasures to keep me out of debt and loaded with cat food!!!

nachomama  - I think you need to ease up on the stressin' & obsessin', or you'll end up spending too much of your old age recovering from the damage you've done to yourself (like me!).  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

How do I teach my really dumb cat to use the cat hammock? I physically put him in it.

That's the worst thing you can do. Cats are genetically programmed to resist forced pleasure with every fiber of their being. I've tried taking my cat and putting him on a carpeted cat perch in my sunniest window and January and he leaps off as though it were filled with spikes.

Try and keep your cat OFF the hammock. It's guaranteed to become his favorite place. You know what pleasure they take in doing exactly the opposite of what we want.

• Love 2

I can't even stand to think about having to go through a ZA in the heat and humid climate of the midwest - can only imagine how much worse it is/would be in the south/southeast.  I'd go on murdering rampages - be it zombies or human - just cuz of that alone.

I can deal with the heat, but its the humidity that breaks the deal.  There's nothing like having to go outside after rain/storm passes through, from an air-conditioned place.  Similar to walking into a sauna type of environment, usually a good distance from work's entrance out to the car in the farther reaches of the parking lot... and then the vehicle doesn't start blowing out cooler/cold almost as soon as the AC is activated.  One of my own personal versions of Hell.

I don't have AC (except in my car), and my furnace cut out last year (or was it 2 years ago?).  I use a fan or space heater once in a blue moon - temperate climate, my friend!

• Love 1

When I went to work the other evening my glasses fogged up getting out of the air conditioned car. That's how humid it was. I resisted mentioning my wet thighs because you naughty cheekee monkeys.

• Love 2
(edited)

I had guac at chipotle the other day and think I got overcharged. (It's relavent because I think there's cilantro in it but not overly much). Anywho I got the side of chips n guac (way too many chips btw) and that's $3.95. Then there was $1.95 for guac. Ummmm I did NOT pay $4 for chips right? And I didn't get guac on my burrito bowl.

I'm going to marathon early GoT when I get my teeth yanked and it's been a while plus I've now read the first 2 books so now I'll be able to keep people straight and I hope to put many puzzles together in my head.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1

I was up all night when we had beautiful weather. Now I'm up most of the day, and it's raining all the time. Blech. It's supposed to be 67 degrees over the weekend. 

• Love 1

Toronto Pride has taken over my neighbourhood. A party last night had my house vibrating but we're rolling with it. Our street is going to be closed off at both ends this weekend for festivals and parades, so I'll have to tunnel to the subway to get to my friend's for dinner. Everyone is blissed out and celebrating, and there are people everywhere. It's like the neighbourhood came out of hibernation. Happy Pride.

• Love 2

Hit 96 here today, with 90% humidity.

I'll keep my no-summer-yet weather here. That humidity shit just ain't my bag.

That reminds me - why doesn't CDB get every drop of blood drained by the hordes of mosquitos we know are out there? I  never even saw anyone scratch.

• Love 1

I'll keep my no-summer-yet weather here. That humidity shit just ain't my bag.

Hey, there are advantages to 90% humidity.

For one thing, it's a great time-saver.

No need to stop what you're doing for a drink of water, when you're getting all you need through the simple act of respiration.

That reminds me - why doesn't CDB get every drop of blood drained by the hordes of mosquitos we know are out there? I  never even saw anyone scratch.

Well... from the fall of the Prison to arrival at the ASZ, they were a month on the road without a decent shower or bath. 

Even mosquitoes have standards.

Hey, there are advantages to 90% humidity.

Yabbut, it makes my hair frizz!

they were a month on the road without a decent shower or bath.

They should have coated themselves in mud. Keeps skeeters away and would have made a great visual.

• Love 1

I'm watching this survival reality show on the History Channel called Alone - which I highly recommend, because it is a little like Survivorman.  10 outdoorsmen are dropped off in separate remote locations on the northern end of Vancouver Island with limited items and some cameras to film their own survival.  Heavy rainforest; predators abound; last man standing wins $500,000.  One of the guys tapped out quite early because he heard some wolves howling.  I immediately thought "Unfair Wolves"!   :-)

• Love 4