Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

• Start Topic

People in Bobby's town are coming back from the dead, but Bobby insists nothing is wrong.

I adore this episode. I love seeing Bobby's wife and her making all those pies and I adore Bobby in this episode. I love how he wants to believe that nothing bad is going on--and I love he combed his hair and trimmed his beard and took off his grody trucker hat for her--but he's also prepared to take care of it if does go south (which it always goes south, so that's no surprise). I also love Dean and Bobby running and hiding from the zombies, there's some really funny stuff there. There's also some really nice camera work in this episode that is rarely seen since we lost Kim Manners.

My only real irritation with the episode is that: 1--it was supposed to air before My Bloody Valentine so the transition from Sam doing a second detox while Dean is praying for help because he lost his last vestige of hope to hunting zombies is a bit jarring. 2--Death raising these people from the dead still makes no sense to me.

Which leads to another irritation about S5 in general: angels and demons alike are trying to find Sam and Dean to compel them to say "yes", but Cass branded their ribs to hide them. Okay, fine. But, both sides know where Bobby Singer lives and knows that he's an ally to the boys and knows sooner or later they'll show up at Bobby Singer's dwelling in the lush rainforests of South Dakota--why the hell didn't either side think of staking out Bobby Singer's place? I know, it's fiction and these things happen, but this episode just reminds me of how silly this was.

Anyway, this is a good episode overall. If nothing else, it gave us Sheriff Mills, who I totally adore!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3
Okay, fine. But, both sides know where Bobby Singer lives and knows that he's an ally to the boys and knows sooner or later they'll show up at Bobby Singer's dwelling in the lush rainforests of South Dakota--why the hell didn't either side think of staking out Bobby Singer's place? I know, it's fiction and these things happen, but this episode just reminds me of how silly this was.

I just tell myself that Bobby has his place warded to the gills, and even if the demons and angels knew they would end up there eventually, they'd have to devote resources to staking the place out and even if they saw them, once they got on grounds, they'd be "protected." The demons especially, I get... they obviously weren't very organized to begin with, and they had horsemen to keep happy and angels to fight. The angels have less excuse, except that keeping some of the grunts busy with "busy work" and not letting them in on the entire plan might have affected their efficiency. I think Lucifer upping the game in this episode by really getting Death going was what pushed the angels' hand somewhat. As for Lucifer and the demons - see also below.

Death raising these people from the dead still makes no sense to me.

I'm sure Death would agree with you, however this was Lucifer's idea, and since Lucifer is a grade A asshole who thought nothing of killing an entire town and a bunch of demons to get Death, I think he decided he was going to use Death to make a point and/or Sam, Dean, and their allies miserable, so that's what he did.

Lucifer's goal here was to hit Bobby and to either get Bobby off his game or make Bobby regrent supporting Sam - and in a way it worked a little bit, because I did hear some resentment from Bobby towards Sam about what happened. For me, this is how Lucifer works... which is another reason I think why - at least on his part - he (and therefore demons) wasn't/weren't trying harder to go after Sam and Dean. That's not what Lucifer was trying to do with Sam. He was trying to isolate and seduce Sam, and everything that was happening with War and Famine and now Death was working towards doing just that with Dean losing faith in Sam and Bobby now being distracted. Poor Death wanted nothing to do with it really - he was on a leash and so therefore had to do it. That's my theory anyway.

I also love Dean and Bobby running and hiding from the zombies, there's some really funny stuff there.

Agreed - also with Sam and the "coughing lady"/zombie and his fighting with "I know I'm going to regret this, but..."

I also agree about Jodi Mills (and I often ship Sam/Jodi).

• Love 1
(edited)

Agreed - also with Sam and the "coughing lady"/zombie and his fighting with "I know I'm going to regret this, but..."

Oh my Chuck, I never fail to laugh at that, even though watching that lady cough up, whatever it is she's coughing up, makes me almost gag...it's totally worth it. I also love the exchange with Dean about how he's gotta go find the zombies and kill them by himself..."it should be easy". HA!

Also, I have ways to explain why the demons and angels didn't go stake out Bobby's house, it's just a funny little plot hole that this episode reminded me of.

Edited by DittyDotDot

That must have been hard for those people to lose their loved ones twice. Funny hearing that Bobby has a bad reputation in his hometown as a drunk when he always appears soberish in the show.

• Love 2

Nice shot of the "He who dies with the most toys wins" poster. Jody! She's the only person smart enough to catch onto Bobby's phone scams. Clay was a likable zombie. "You're a zombie!" "I'm a taxpayer!" Aw, Bobby loves his zombie wife. It's kind of nice to see Sam and Dean get annoyed with Bobby for a change. That zoom in on Dean in the salvage yard is a thing of beauty. "Mild-mannered scrap dealer." "Yeah, I'm gonna regret this." Five bucks says Sam shot the old lady in the mouth and not the forehead because a makeup artist didn't want to redo the zombie makeup for a forehead shot. Kim Rhodes looks great with the shoulder length dark hair. Zombie wife's a good actress. I liked that she never turned evil. Bobby and the other guy vying for town drunk. "Just run back past the zombies. It's in the van where we left it." "A simple 'no' would've been fine." Zombies who can pick a lock. Terrifying. "She was the love of my life. How many times I gotta kill her?" That's fine. I wasn't using my heart anyway. I kinda like that Bobby is deemed important enough for hell to be messing with him to stop the boys. He deserves some appreciation.

• Love 3

I like how the Sam is so nonplussed handing Jody the card with the fake FBI supervisor's name on.  Until they get caught.  Then he is just adorably flustered.  

I like how Jody was actually smart enough to call and check with their 'supervisor' after Dean kind of smarted off about the jurisdiction.  Real FBI agents probably wouldn't do that.  But her reaction was pretty typical small-town law enforcement, in my experience.  That whole exchange was a well-done escalation of a pissing contest.  

They sure dig some nice, neat holes by hand to get to the graves.   Bet that's the first time they ever had a 'monster' turn itself in though.  I kind of love how Dean even considers that Jody might be on the take with the zombies paying her off.  I like Dean's reply to the 'there's nothing here for you' from Bobby: "There are zombies here."  Dean's right, you know.  That is their thing.  Funny how Sam wouldn't touch the zombie pie while Dean is scarfing it down.  

I felt Bobby's pain when he was asking the boys to leave Karen alone.  I really liked Karen too.  I liked how playful she was when inviting Dean in for lunch and how she talked honestly with him while he ate.  Just don't know how she managed to sneak up on him in the junkyard.  Don't zombies have slow, plodding/dragging footsteps?  ;)

Yeah, I don't blame Sam for not wanting to get too close to coughing lady.  And I "Ew!"ed so loud at the white froth dripping on his face that it scared the cat off my lap.  Honestly, Sam deserves all the credit for not throwing up right there.  Can't believe he was still wearing the jacket at Bobby's.  I think I would have burned it.  

I was so busy squinting my eyes through that scene, I nearly missed the nice shots of Sam pulling the gun out of the back of his pants.  :)

Jody does look good with her shoulder length hair.  Can't believe she's known the guys for 7 going on 8 years now, and she's still alive!  LOL. That's gotta be a record.  Sam with a blood goatee was bad enough - little Owen was especially bad.  Bobby's loss in this ep (having to shoot his wife again) seems to get most of  the attention.  That was heartbreaking for him, don't get me wrong, but Damn - Jody really got a raw deal here.  She lost her son - again - and her husband, who was alive, all in one night.  At least Bobby still had Sam and Dean when all was said and done, so no worse off than when it started.  Jody lost her entire family.  

That was a really good zombie fight at the house.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Heh, wrong show! ;)

You know, I was going to ask when JDM started on The Walking Dead, but then I figured it was probably after this episode was filmed.  Hee.  I figured that's how zombies were one of their 'things' - Dad taught them well you know.  ;)

• Love 1

no wonder bobby loved karen. she's such a wonderful person. i'm really happy she convinced him to kill her again because i would have dreaded it so if she became zombie mode. she was too beautiful of a person for that to happen. i'm happy she went out with a swan song.

how about a major ew when sam went up to the dying woman? omg all of us were screaming when she was dripping all on sam. ew ew ew ew ew.

"Oh darling, then I assume you've never been in love." YOU ASSUMED WRONG BIYACH, HE HAS >:(((((( #cassiesquad #willneverforget (mostly because of the constant freaking route 666 cameos smh)

dean and bobby killing the zombies outside was AWESOME. see bobby is still a hunter, and a capable one at that :)

and i have a rant for the cameraman......

ngb9Y5bx_o.png

fr tho? not only is this shot beautiful but you totally caught be df off guard with this. like i actually sort of jumped when i saw this? do i REALLY need this in my life? do i REALLY need these freaking closeups distracting me af? the answer is NO, cameraman. my heart can't take it. it really can't. so knock it off will you ;_;

On 7/23/2017 at 4:57 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

They sure dig some nice, neat holes by hand to get to the graves.   Bet that's the first time they ever had a 'monster' turn itself in though.  I kind of love how Dean even considers that Jody might be on the take with the zombies paying her off.  I like Dean's reply to the 'there's nothing here for you' from Bobby: "There are zombies here."  Dean's right, you know.  That is their thing.  Funny how Sam wouldn't touch the zombie pie while Dean is scarfing it down.  

Dean has no fear of supernatural food items. You would think he learned his lesson in Wishful Thinking, but it is pie so . . . .

This episode hit me right in the feels. That look between Bobby and Dean after Bobby shoots her. 😭😭😭 Great work by JA, as an aside. He fit a lot into one facial expression.

Poor Bobby. Hope can be so cruel. That scene where he is talking about the humming and how he never thought he would hear it again while we all know this will end badly because it is Supernatural and because the apocalypse most definitely doesn't have an upside. I love the character of Bobby and I have a bad feeling that they are setting us up for something here. It was nice to see him happy for a little while, even with the devastating turn of events that left him even more broken. 

I really thought this wasn't going to be death at all, but instead pestilence. I was sure I was right with that horrible coughing scene. Bring back the dead loved ones and use them to spread the zombie virus. It makes sense. 

My only tiny nit was that nobody brought up Dean climbing out of his own grave. Seemed like an argument Bobby might make.

• Love 1