Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: The Geek In The Guck

WendyCR72

The Jeffersonian team, with the help Special Agent James Aubrey, investigate the murder of a video game designer whose remains were found washed up in a river. When the team uncovers more about the fortune the victim had acquired throughout his career, everyone who was close to him becomes a suspect. However, the investigation takes a turn when they discover that the victim was playing his own games on people. Meanwhile, "squintern" Jessica Warren enlightens the team about the educational cooperative with which she has been involved and Brennan and Booth discuss Christine's future.

Everyone must be as bored as I am.  The magic is gone.  I think it left when Booth got a partner that isn't Brennan.  He's out investigating, she's in the lab.  I think they spoke to each other 3 times in the episode:

1. Beginning, to discuss some personal conflict and find out they have a case.
  2. Middle of the episode, to exchange info.
  3. End of the episode, to wrap up the case and finish discussion of whatever was bothering them at the beginning of the episode.

How is that Bones?  It's like TPTB decided when they got married that it would be unrealistic for them to work together, as well.  

Oh, and I am so tired of them reminding us that Hodgins and Angela are "broke".  

• Love 6

Everyone must be as bored as I am.  The magic is gone.  I think it left when Booth got a partner that isn't Brennan.  He's out investigating, she's in the lab.  I think they spoke to each other 3 times in the episode:

1. Beginning, to discuss some personal conflict and find out they have a case.
  2. Middle of the episode, to exchange info.
  3. End of the episode, to wrap up the case and finish discussion of whatever was bothering them at the beginning of the episode.

How is that Bones?  It's like TPTB decided when they got married that it would be unrealistic for them to work together, as well.  

Oh, and I am so tired of them reminding us that Hodgins and Angela are "broke".  

Bored at times, yes, but I thought this episode was a decent one. I long ago accepted the fact that B&B will only rarely be in the field as "partners" now. That hasn't been the case since Sweets showed up. Occasionally we will see Bones and her team working the site at the beginning of the episode, and she will sometimes show up for the interrogation, but that's about it.

Never mind Booth interacting with Cam (his old, good friend) or the rest of the lab team. When was the last time we had a group get together at the Founding Fathers? Babies will do that, I guess.

Anyway, what I liked:

- new young guy showed some of his immaturity and lack of experience. I find him likable.

- with Sweets gone (as much as I liked him), Booth can start to showcase his skills again. When Sweets showed up, Booth suddenly became inept at profiling, interrogating, and figuring out motives. Now Booth-lite can play the dumb (inexperienced) one that is used to explain everything to the audience.

- I *like* them acknowledging Hodgins and Angela money troubles, despite the absurd, unbelievable cause of those troubles. If they didn't mention it on occasion, we would be complaining about the lack of continuity. I just wish they would have given his wealth back, because rich Hodgins is a lot more interesting.

- the intern didn't bother me this week. I understand that a rotating set of interns allows the writers to explore some personal story lines that they clearly can't with our main characters. And her story this week was somewhat amusing.

- the roommate did a great job at playing that character. 

- beer helmet in the bathtub

What I didn't like:

- as Bones is prone to do the last few seasons, they really fired on all cylinders on the structure vs freedom in education thing. At least they somewhat showed both sides, unlike some other agendas they have pushed. Still, let me enjoy my television without politics.

- the killer's motives. Sure, all murders boil down to love or money. But give us something a little more believable. 

- how did the killer clean up after the murder? She's a programmer, and she didn't think to erase the motion capture video? Why was it recording anyway? Why would she willingly lead the FBI to the murder site early in the episode? How did she dispose of the body when she's so small?

• Love 2

...Oh, and I am so tired of them reminding us that Hodgins and Angela are "broke".

...I *like* them acknowledging Hodgins and Angela money troubles, despite the absurd, unbelievable cause of those troubles....

The only reason it doesn't make me angry is because it's 2 likable characters complaining. But seriously. A 2 income (two good incomes--not minimum wage) household with one child and no college debt--please excuse me if I don't feel sorry for them.
  • Love 4
- I *like* them acknowledging Hodgins and Angela money troubles, despite the absurd, unbelievable cause of those troubles. If they didn't mention it on occasion, we would be complaining about the lack of continuity.

Funny you mention lack of continuity -- I thought Hodgins and Finn's hot sauce was an additional source of income for them.   Then there's Hodgins' long lost brother who requires expensive hospitalization, which they refused help with.

So, yeah, a throwaway line about how they can't "afford" private school annoys me.  

• Love 1

My nitpick is: while I like Hodgins and Angela, to continually call something by a wrong name  is rude and disrespectful.  The intern continually had to correct commune (said in a derisive tone, esp. by Jack) to co-op. There are differences and going into season 10, these folks are about using the correct term  or else Very Bad People get to continue their mayhem. It was supposed to be read as "funny" ( especially at the end, I'm sure), but it wasn't.  At least it is consistent with the characters. Both have a very smug POV about everyone not them.  ( I say this as someone who still enjoys the characters.)

• Love 1

Frankly, I would have fired this week's intern quickly. Really annoying, unprofessional and rude.

And she was the exact same way the last time too, but even worse. She actually improved in this episode somehow, she was a LOT less annoying this time around.

Typical Bones episode, good, but nothing riveting or spectacular.

Edited by immortalfrieza