Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Paraguay

A South American country of 6 million, much of the oppressively hot landlocked nation of Paraguay is jungle terrain or desert known as "the Chaco." An investigation into the puzzling history of the host’s great, great, great, grandfather, Paraguayan émigré Jean Bourdain, is a springboard to his first tour of this South American country, primarily comprised of jungle and desert land, which features a rich culture and savory local dishes that include Bife Koygua, Bori Bori, and Sopa Paraguaya.

Man, I was so annoyed when he said he was disappointed that his ancestor was just a hat maker. God forbid your family members have a legal legitimate job. I was also annoyed that he said he always wanted to know what happened to this guy but he never bothered to look into it until CNN was footing the bill for the investigator. It's not like he's hurting for money and couldn't afford to pay for it himself for the last decade.

• Love 1

Tonight's episode is Paraguay, not Vietnam. Was this a last minute change or was it always scheduled to be the Paraguay episode?

When I made this topic last week, Vietnam was listed. Strange! I have renamed this topic and the synopsis to reflect the change. I moved one post to a new Vietnam thread. 

Man, I was so annoyed when he said he was disappointed that his ancestor was just a hat maker. God forbid your family members have a legal legitimate job. I was also annoyed that he said he always wanted to know what happened to this guy but he never bothered to look into it until CNN was footing the bill for the investigator. It's not like he's hurting for money and couldn't afford to pay for it himself for the last decade.

I was completely uninterested in his ancestors. I couldn't believe they included it in the episode.

I was watching this with interest because my best friend spent a lot of time in Paraguay doing her doctoral research. We both thought it was a good episode - it seems like a little bit of a difficult country to get a handle on, so I assume his search for his relative was a way of putting a framework on the show. They spent a lot of time just showing the faces of people in the country and I enjoyed that a lot.

My DVR cut off the last few seconds - did he actually find the tomb, or not? I assumed he wouldn't since it was a very distant family member.

I thought his search for his ancestors would be interesting, but like the Bronx episode it just looked like Tony was creating filler with little to no substance.  I think Tony fancies himself to come from interesting people.  I find it interesting that I never wished for anything spectacular in my own family history and yet I have had nothing but interesting ancestors.  I think Tony would be jealous that some of my own French ancestors from Bordeaux went to Guatemala where they owned a coffee plantation, and some relatives still survive there.  Or that my 2x French great grandfather, who imported wine to the US, also imported ammunition during the civil war - and for the South no less, which angered my staunch Yankee 2x great grandmother so much she threw him out for several years.  He never saw jail time as he was not a citizen and claimed no allegiance.  Now that's the kind of stuff Tony probably wished he could have found!  That said, I like to fancy that my French relatives knew his French relatives, LOL.

Maybe it was me, but the German guy telling him they found out about "fireworks" and all the walking aimlessly around the cemetery seemed fake and staged, and likely done just to make nothing look more interesting than it really was.  Too bad it failed.

Edited by Snarklepuss

I watched this yesterday on netflix, and honestly I was bored. While it was sort of interesting that he was looking for a relative, I wished it spend more time on the culture of the country and what their current government is like.