Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 10/6/14

10/6/14 JAMES MCPHERSON - Author, “Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief”

10/7/14 LEON WIESELTIER - 100th Anniversary of The New Republic & book, “Insurrections of the Mind: 100 Years of Politics and Culture in America”

10/8/14 CAROL BURNETT - Broadway show, “Love Letters”

10/9/14 ROBERT PLANT - Album, “Lullaby And The Ceaseless Roar”

Edited by trow125
  • Love 1

Ugh. Haaaaaate Wieseltier*. So, so much.  Let's hope Stephen atones for the wrong he does me by singing with both Burnett and Plant.

*Translates from the German as 'Weasel animal.' Couldn't be apter.

Edited by attica

I'd love to see her on TDS, too. Stephen would've fit right in on her show, though, so I'm hoping for a fun interview. He also tends to get flirty with older women which I always enjoy.

The interview with James MacPherson was quite awkward since I guess McPherson has no sarcasm detector? Stephen would make a joke and McPherson would correct him without any hint of humor.

Took a lot of guts for Stephen to scribble on the cover of James MacPherson's book.

The conspiracy theory joke was funny and everything, but man that scribbling took a lot of time. I wish they'd pre-made that prop instead. Then again, maybe Stephen had that as a backup to kill time if the interview wasn't clicking--I thought it was fine, but opinions differ :-).

The interview with James MacPherson was quite awkward since I guess McPherson has no sarcasm detector? Stephen would make a joke and McPherson would correct him without any hint of humor.

They do encourage academic guests to play it straight and respond to Stephen's schtick at face value. McPherson clearly took that advice to heart. Also, some of Stephen's joke positions are things McPherson has to deal with from serious lay-people as well.

On the other hand, I thought the Allison Orr Larson interview was delightful. I loved the way he coyly got her to out Scalia as a big hypocrite at the end.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I hadn't seen that video before. Adorable. "You poked my heart." 

I liked Stephen's line about this being a case of "He said Mom said, she said Mom said." And also, "I'm not crying. My face is just sprinkling."

I thought Robert Plant's voice sounded really good.

• Love 1

I hadn't seen that video before. Adorable. "You poked my heart."

Now, I saw it as an origins story: The Origins of Mansplaining. And of Butthurt Feefees when some girl asserts herself, so she'll cave and take care of him.

Cynical, me? No fucking way! :) Just the sister of brothers.

I'm impressed Plant can still get up to those high notes, what with all the smoking in his life.  And the effect of internally lighting all those tabors was very cool.

• Love 4

Damn, that almost made me want a toddler of my own. What have I been missing?

Speaking of missing things, I have been blissfully unaware of #ImARepublican. Was that ad by Minchillo meant to be satire? I honestly couldn't tell if it was deep undercover trolling by a would-be Colbert or seriously intended to help Republicans. In any case, that was great investigative comedy by Stephen and his crew. Hee! I wish O'Reilly would have the guts to show up on the Report instead of The Daily Show next week. Isn't it time? He's loathsome, but that face-off would be appointment TV. Maybe Stephen will crash their interview. That would be so magical.

Damn, that almost made me want a toddler of my own. What have I been missing?

Eternal vigilance while sleepless. It's not as touching as you'd imagine.

Those kids are a little past toddler, though. I'd say probably threeish, more or less.

• Love 1