Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Denzel Washington, Peter Capaldi, Gemma Arterton, George Ezra

• Start Topic

Together on Graham's sofa tonight: Oscar-winning actor Denzel Washington, starring in new movie The Equalizer; the acclaimed new Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi; actress Gemma Arterton, about to hit the West End in the musical version of Made in Dagenham; and hot new singer-songwriter George Ezra, who performs Blame It On Me.

I thought this was a pretty good ep, though I was kind of appalled that Denzel had never heard of Doctor Who or could figure out what a DIY store was. I hadn't heard Home Depots, etc., called that before, but it took a microsecond for me to get it.

I loved the story about Denzel's "magic finger." That photo! Yikes! 

I liked George Ezra. Never heard of him or his song before, but he has a nice personality.

I hated the woman in the Red Chair. I guess I shouldn't be so harsh. I just found her story too gross and not funny, and she was too loud and extroverted, like she believes everyone finds her hilarious. No.

I'm really looking forward to next week. Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant! But mainly Emma Thompson!

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

I will never (no, no, never) tire of anybody performing as a Pip. (Woo woo!)  Denzel looks a little bit, um, younger lately. His hair's a bit darker, anyway. Maybe he's moisturizing.

Capaldi is a delight. His misery at GN's reading from the Fan Club book was adorkable. And no lie, if I saw him on the street I'd want him to swear at me too.

Is it weird that I kept wanting to tug that zipper thing at Gemma's collarbone to see what would happen to the dress? I will go to see Made In Dagenham as soon as it comes across the pond; I liked the movie tons. 

The kid singer was for the most part agreeable and amiable. He stayed off my lawn, which is really all I can ask of kids these days. :)

• Love 1

Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins. Never go wrong with them in a cast, if you ask me.

I liked the Red Chair storyteller enough that I agreed she should walk, but it's always a disappointment not to see a flip. And watch the Americans' reaction thereto.

It's interesting to compare Denzel's two appearances.  The previous one was his first, and he -- like many of the first-time American guests (think Jake Gyllenhaal) seemed a bit anxious about the format and the host, and then settled in once he knew he was in good hands.  This time, he was actively making Graham a part of his stories and bits.

Don't really know anything about Gemma Atherton but she was a good guest, engaging the others from the beginning and comfortable with the audience as well.  Loved the bit with the horse riding/stunts/look back.  And Peter Capaldi was terrific; I thought he was pretty tolerant of how Graham initially presented Dr. Who as if it were his first successful acting job.  There was a broader picture by the end, but I thought he showed good character in not immediately blurting out, "I've been acting for years, you know!"

• Love 2

I thought this was a pretty good way to kick off the season-- I really enjoyed it. I thought the guests interacted well despite not knowing each other-- no one really hogged the couch and they were all delightful.

Was I the only one who was a little sad there was a New Zealander in the chair? I'm tickled by how tickled Graham is over their accent.

nd Peter Capaldi was terrific; I thought he was pretty tolerant of how Graham initially presented Dr. Who as if it were his first successful acting job.  There was a broader picture by the end, but I thought he showed good character in not immediately blurting out, "I've been acting for years, you know!"

He was in Dangerous Liaisons!  But he'll always be Sid's father to me.

• Love 1

I loved him in Ken Russell's totally nutty Lair of the White Worm. He's sort of the straight man. Hugh Grant and Catherine Oxenberg (!) are also in it.

Capaldi's utter mortification when Graham brought up his Dr. Who fandom kept me laughing for a good while.

I know! I was a little put off by the fairly blatant implication that Capaldi just finally scored a role, when, hello, he's one of those constantly working actors. My favorite Capaldi roles would have to include the absolutely adorable "Local Hero," and his superb work in "Torchwood: Children of Earth" (even though I will never put myself through watching it again).

I'm always conflicted on Gemma -- I just don't think she's a very good actress (and occasionally, I think she's downright dreadful), but on Graham's show she's always delightful and very funny. Loved her horse stunt anecdote (and it was cute how tickled Denzel seemed to be as well, like, "I'm gonna look back too, so they know it's me!"). I was also impressed by her bit of song -- the voice and accent work were very nice. Maybe she's just one of those people who's better live onstage?

I loved the Dr. Who letter about Capaldi -- just so funny, and Capaldi's reactions were priceless. It really is lovely to see him getting so much attention -- he seems so appreciative of it, and in the best way.

Also, George Ezra was one of those rare singer-appearances that sent me running to buy the MP3. He has a really unique and gorgeous voice, and "Budapest" was very catchy.

So glad Graham's back! I always look forward to this show.

• Love 1