Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk - Ailments, Prom Photos, and More!

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 10/4/2024 at 2:15 PM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

it reminds me of when Kenny Rogers got a face lift and had his eyelids done.

That was a SHOCKER that lasted for years...every time I saw him.  Recently I "really" noticed Kris Kristofferson's eyelids and wondered why he hadn't had "something done."  Then these words came to mind: Kenny Rogers.

On 10/4/2024 at 8:26 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Wayne Newton looks like a plastic caricature of himself- a Disney animatronic

We knew him slightly in Phoenix.  My sister went to one semester of high school with him.  So many "locals"never became accustomed to his BLACK HAIR (he'd been a very light brown and was a local kid TV star) or his too-early cosmetic changes.  I wonder how his face and body would have matured if he hadn't undergone so many hormone/various treatments.  Always a nice guy.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2024 at 8:35 PM, athousandclowns said:

I’m going to Disneyland in October. .... I’m worried about the walking and standing in one place.

Don't be concerned about your AGE or looking old. Rent one of Disneyland's electric scooters.  A bad knee replacement caused me to NEED one several years ago when I went with my middle-aged sons (late 40s).  The next time we went, my younger son decided HE wanted one. He said he'll never "walk" in Disneyland again.  My wheelchair allowed me to get into a special line and move ahead of others.  That changed YEARS ago.  Still, it's so convenient if you're not a regular/strong walker. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

That was a SHOCKER that lasted for years...every time I saw him.  Recently I "really" noticed Kris Kristofferson's eyelids and wondered why he hadn't had "something done."  Then these words came to mind: Kenny Rogers.

We knew him slightly in Phoenix.  My sister went to one semester of high school with him.  So many never became accustomed to his BLACK HAIR (he'd been a very light brown and was a little local TV star) or his too-early cosmetic changes.  I wonder how his face and body would have matured if he hadn't undergone so many hormone/various treatments.  Always a nice guy.

Oh yes- Kenny Roger's eyelid surgery was such a shocker! I loved Kenny's hooded eyes. When men get their eyelids done, it changes their whole face. That is so cool that you met Wayne Newton, and your sister went to high school with him 😀♥️!  Wayne Newton seems like a really great guy, and I didn't know that he was a light brunette! He was a hunk pre-plastic surgery, and I wonder how he would've aged without getting the work done. I recognized his tan, eyebrows and hair on the Golden Bachelorette, but it took me a while to register that he's Wayne Newton.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:
18 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Wayne Newton seems like a really great guy, and I didn't know that he was a light brunette! He was a hunk pre-plastic surgery...

image.png.86a708852c9cef03ce85ece9e84ddce1.png

I don't know that Wayne Newton was ever a "hunk," bodywise.  He was a very cute boy and maintained a more "feminine" look well past his teens.  He was chubby with a very soft upper body. He grew to be a tall man with a body a bit large for his head.  I think it was all worked out later "medically."  He adopted the BLACK hair look because of his admiration for Elvis Presley and his claim to part Native American.

Elvis also had that blonde-almost brown hair color. HE also decided he'd look better with black hair.

Wayne's older brother Jerry was the better musician, but didn't have the "little brother antics" that made good TV.  They were a performing team for years and Jerry was their manager for decades.  Jerry was slim kid who maintained that look...as far as I know.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Great post, Back Atcha 🙂! I think that Wayne Newton looked great in his late 30's in the early 1980's footage that I've seen: he looked taller and beefed up, rocked a more tousled long black haircut, grew out a mustache, deepened his voice and rocked the chest hair underneath his collars. Wow, that photo of a young Wayne Newton shows how baby faced he was- he had a cute sweetness to his face. 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I think that Wayne Newton looked great in his late 30's in the early 1980's footage that I've seen: he looked taller and beefed up, rocked a more tousled long black haircut, grew out a mustache, deepened his voice and rocked the chest hair underneath his collars. Wow, that photo of a young Wayne Newton shows how baby faced he was- he had a cute sweetness to his face. 

I agree with everything, Hip!  I'll say this first; he and his brother were VERY popular on local TV for a few years, starting before they were teens. They did travel around for various small-time gigs, but they were part of the entertainment (I think) when Jackie Gleason came to town  (entertaining Gleason). I found this on the 'net. Wayne would have been 20yrs old:  "Jackie Gleason discovered Wayne Newton in 1962 at a luncheon in Phoenix. He was  impressed by Newton's performance of "Danny Boy," and told him not to appear on any other television shows before appearing on his own. Newton and his brother first appeared on The Jackie Gleason Show on September 29, 1962. Newton appeared on the show 12 times over the next two years.

We were all excited that the Newton bros "made it,"--just the Gleason show, never expecting what was to come.  By 21, (1963) he was a Vegas headliner; his brother was the musical director and comedian of the duo. I went to a convention in Vegas in the early 70s and Wayne's show was part of the package.  My husband and I weren't really interested; we'd seen him on local TV for years; we "knew" Wayne.  Still, we were with a group and joined happily.

We were STUNNED!  We were SHOCKED!  We had never seen such a fabulous entertainer in Vegas (granted, we'd been there only twice before...but we saw some big names).  Wayne Newton was BORN to be in Las Vegas.  He was good looking, he could sing ANYTHING. He played many instruments.  He was funny.  He loved the audience and loved talking to individuals.  I still say he's the best sole performer I've seen in Las Vegas.  Maybe I'll respond later to the mustache and deepened voice.  Yeah, Wayne deserves every accolade; he's one talented "kid."  I'm two years older.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2024 at 12:38 AM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Oh yes- Kenny Roger's eyelid surgery was such a shocker! I loved Kenny's hooded eyes. When men get their eyelids done, it changes their whole face. That is so cool that you met Wayne Newton, and your sister went to high school with him 😀♥️!  Wayne Newton seems like a really great guy, and I didn't know that he was a light brunette! He was a hunk pre-plastic surgery, and I wonder how he would've aged without getting the work done. I recognized his tan, eyebrows and hair on the Golden Bachelorette, but it took me a while to register that he's Wayne Newton.

Years ago, we saw Johnny Mathis at a tennis stadium in New York.  He was great of course.  At the end, he was taking bows and then fell off the stage head first.  They called the ambulance.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I agree with everything, Hip!  I'll say this first; he and his brother were VERY popular on local TV for a few years, starting before they were teens. They did travel around for various small-time gigs, but they were part of the entertainment (I think) when Jackie Gleason came to town  (entertaining Gleason). I found this on the 'net. Wayne would have been 20yrs old:  "Jackie Gleason discovered Wayne Newton in 1962 at a luncheon in Phoenix. He was  impressed by Newton's performance of "Danny Boy," and told him not to appear on any other television shows before appearing on his own. Newton and his brother first appeared on The Jackie Gleason Show on September 29, 1962. Newton appeared on the show 12 times over the next two years.

We were all excited that the Newton bros "made it,"--just the Gleason show, never expecting what was to come.  By 21, (1963) he was a Vegas headliner; his brother was the musical director and comedian of the duo. I went to a convention in Vegas in the early 70s and Wayne's show was part of the package.  My husband and I weren't really interested; we'd seen him on local TV for years; we "knew" Wayne.  Still, we were with a group and joined happily.

We were STUNNED!  We were SHOCKED!  We had never seen such a fabulous entertainer in Vegas (granted, we'd been there only twice before...but we saw some big names).  Wayne Newton was BORN to be in Las Vegas.  He was good looking, he could sing ANYTHING. He played many instruments.  He was funny.  He loved the audience and loved talking to individuals.  I still say he's the best sole performer I've seen in Las Vegas.  Maybe I'll respond later to the mustache and deepened voice.  Yeah, Wayne deserves every accolade; he's one talented "kid."  I'm two years older.

Thank you for a great post on Wayne Newton, Back Atcha!  I love how Jackie Gleason discovered Wayne Newton and his brother and put them on his show. Jackie Gleason is so great- loved him as Sheriff Buford T Justice with hunky Burt Reynolds in "Smoky and the Bandit" 😄.  You lucked out going to that convention in the 70's when you and your husband saw Wayne Newton live! Handsome, great voice, star power, multi-talented. He is one talented kid, and I am so glad that you got to see him perform 😁.  It must've been great to watch him sing on TV and go from his 20's to now. I want to see him sing when I go to Vegas someday 😄.

2 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I want to see him sing when I go to Vegas someday 😄.

Time, medical procedures, cosmetic surgeries, and hormone-hormone-hormone therapies have taken a toll on that poor kid. After seeing this photo online, I actually hope he's no longer performing. Oh, Hip...this is too sad--and I think it's real.  

Hopefully someone can prove it's not.

image.png.ca6e5f359d7dc38d6a6c41bcc7552296.png

• Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Time, medical procedures, cosmetic surgeries, and hormone-hormone-hormone therapies have taken a toll on that poor kid. After seeing this photo online, I actually hope he's no longer performing. Oh, Hip...this is too sad--and I think it's real.  

Hopefully someone can prove it's not.

Wow, he looks really different 😮🙁.  He looks gaunt- that photo is shocking to look at. I read that he has chronic back pain, and he has heart disease so maybe the meds and hormones along with his demanding performance schedule have taken a toll on him. He's worked so hard for decades and I applaud him for still working and singing, but maybe he needs to slow down and perform less with some days off to relax. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/3/2024 at 5:09 PM, dleighg said:

Yeah, my husband is 66. He's not in hip-breaking territory. My father did break his hip in a fall. He was 89.

I had my first hip replaced when I was 43 and my second when I was 44. I’m almost 60 and have had 11 orthopedic surgeries in the last 15 years.

Not really relevant, but different bodies, different problems.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 4
15 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

That's so cool that you got to see Johnny Mathis live 😃- he has a great voice and great stage presence! Oh no- that must've hurt big time when he fell headfirst off of the stage ☹.  He seems to be doing well and he's still performing live at 89! 🙂

Btw, has anyone watched the New Housewives of New York last night?  I’m interested in reading what posters think about them, not that I will continue watching.  Is there a thread for them anywhere?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I had my first hip replaced when I was 43 and my second when I was 44. I’m almost 60 and have had 11 orthopedic surgeries in the last 15 years.

Not really relevant, but different bodies, different problems.

Me too.  I’ve had two hip replacements.   Then, two spinal surgeries.  Those were the worst.  I’ve had other annoyances too.  I have season tickets at the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
25 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Btw, has anyone watched the New Housewives of New York last night?  I’m interested in reading what posters think about them, not that I will continue watching.  Is there a thread for them anywhere?

The search bar at the top of the home page works a lot better than it used to.  I sometimes forget it’s there.

image.thumb.png.20df757afe7c7e731a6ae9fe7789bc22.png

(edited)
32 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/314-the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/

Here's the link to The Real Housewives of New York City thread on Primetimer 🙂.  It looks like the most recent episode is Season 15 Episode 1: Apple of My Lie. 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Me too.  I’ve had two hip replacements.   Then, two spinal surgeries.  Those were the worst.  I’ve had other annoyances too.  I have season tickets at the hospital.

I thought if I left this emoji 😀, it would be misunderstood.  Your last line is the best!  That humor will keep you going.

I had a hip replacement in 2018 that was/is a breeze. Turns out, I didn't NEED it.  They diagnosed "labral tear" as the source of my incredible pain. Hip replaced, easy PT, easy recuperation.  Pain remaines!  A couple of other worthless procedures followed.

My best story is my knee replacement (2016...still terribly painful; I wear an opiod patch). I assume the surgery went well. I was out of the hospital and going to physical therapy, using a walker. To shorten the story, a physical therapy aide BROKE MY FEMUR!  Mis-diagnoses (no x-rays) for over a week--sent to rehab for eight days. Awful pain; no x-rays, although I begged. Soon my sons threatened legal action. Finally, an x-ray proved them all wrong. Surgeon said, "How can you have a BROKEN FEMUR????" and now I have a plate/pins in my thigh (femur) along with a really bad knee.  Humor is my only antidote.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2
56 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Oh, no!! I am sooo sorry that they messed up so many times, and that you are paying the price, in more ways than one.

I do like that on a discussion board for The Golden Bachelorette, we are all comparing orthopedic surgeries. I have herniated discs. The surgeon told me he recommends waiting to book surgery until the pain is excruciating. 

I hate that my hands look so old.

I don’t go crazy anymore, just go with the flow.  My second hip replacement was the fault of some young moron physical therapist when I went for therapy.  She yanked my leg up so far on the table that I felt a snap in my hip.  The pain of that cause my second hip replacement.  I don’t go to therapy anymore.  I exercise at home.  Everything is a business.  After my husbands heart attack and open heart surgery, and my heart attack and 5 stents put in my chest, I don’t sweat the small stuff.  People have it worse.  Sorry to go on and on.  As long as I have my t.v. Aand I pad, I’m good., and everyone on this board are wonderful and friendly.  😻

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t go crazy anymore, just go with the flow.  My second hip replacement was the fault of some young moron physical therapist when I went for therapy.  She yanked my leg up so far on the table that I felt a snap in my hip.  The pain of that cause my second hip replacement.  I don’t go to therapy anymore.  I exercise at home.  Everything is a business.  After my husbands heart attack and open heart surgery, and my heart attack and 5 stents put in my chest, I don’t sweat the small stuff.  People have it worse.  Sorry to go on and on.  As long as I have my t.v. Aand I pad, I’m good., and everyone on this board are wonderful and friendly.  😻

I think we need an “ailment” thread, lol.

• Like 1
(edited)

Small talk for the “topic-adjacent” stuff that keeps coming up. 

Edited to add the traditional boilerplate, just to make it official:

The Small Talk topic is for:

Introductions

Off-topic chatter

Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

Character topics

Spoiler topics

Comparison topics

Speculation topics

In the Media topics

Favourite X topics

...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Edited again to add - if you're wondering why this post is in the middle of the thread, it's because a mod very graciously moved a lot of off-topic posts from the main thread [thank you!]  Some of them were from before this thread was created, and everything just got sorted in chronological order.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Feeling nostalgic!
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I thought if I left this emoji 😀, it would be misunderstood.  Your last line is the best!  That humor will keep you going.

I had a hip replacement in 2018 that was/is a breeze. Turns out, I didn't NEED it.  They diagnosed "labral tear" as the source of my incredible pain. Hip replaced, easy PT, easy recuperation.  Pain remaines!  A couple of other worthless procedures followed.

My best story is my knee replacement (2016...still terribly painful; I wear an opiod patch). I assume the surgery went well. I was out of the hospital and going to physical therapy, using a walker. To shorten the story, a physical therapy aide BROKE MY FEMUR!  Mis-diagnoses (no x-rays) for over a week--sent to rehab for eight days. Awful pain; no x-rays, although I begged. Soon my sons threatened legal action. Finally, an x-ray proved them all wrong. Surgeon said, "How can you have a BROKEN FEMUR????" and now I have a plate/pins in my thigh (femur) along with a really bad knee.  Humor is my only antidote.

I just have to tell you this story.  My Mother had 14 radiation procedures in her left leg.  Years later, her femur bone broke and was sticking out of her leg.  She had surgery at Slone Kettering, and the brilliant Surgeon put a steel rod in her leg from her knee all the way up to her spine in her back.  She was fine after that.  It’s amazing what these surgeons can do.  He saved her leg.  The radiation made her femur bone very brittle that it broke in half.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1

When did you first realize that you were getting old?

I will go first.

I got very excited seeing how big the ShopRite was.

They stopped asking me for ID when I purchased wine.

I stopped wearing heels. 

• Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

My second hip replacement was the fault of some young moron physical therapist when I went for therapy.

Here's my painful story.  A few days after being released post-knee replacement, one of the "exercises" the physical therapist (I thought that's what she was) had me do was lie flat on my back.  She sat on the table and "helped" stretch my leg straight up.  I'm on my back and my leg is pointed at the ceiling. Then, she put her shoulder into my thigh and "lunged," pushing my leg farther back than it could go. That's the only way I can explain it.

There was a loud C-R-A-C-K and I screamed, "My hip!" Everyone in the room heard the crack.    PT says, "Oh, so your hip hurts too?"  It was not "hurt," it was excruciating PAIN.  I said, "Not until you broke it."  My hip wasn't hurt at all, my femur was broken...badly, and (apparently) shockingly.  Thereafter I was corrected, "She was not a physical therapist; SHE WAS AN AIDE!"   image.png.5532424c39618503d39b199ac2862d79.png

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Hugs 3
(edited)

I teased my friend about her reading glasses.  She said, “here, try them.” I could read the menu so much better.  Gulp!  😁

It makes me happy to see my adult sons having fun together.  (I can just hear my now-deceased mom saying that!) ❤️

Edited by Thumper
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Here's my painful story.  A few days after being released post-knee replacement, one of the "exercises" the physical therapist (I thought that's what she was) had me do was lie flat on my back.  She sat on the table and "helped" stretch my leg straight up.  I'm on my back and my leg is pointed at the ceiling. Then, she put her shoulder into my thigh and "lunged," pushing my leg farther back than it could go. That's the only way I can explain it.

There was a loud C-R-A-C-K and I screamed, "My hip!" Everyone in the room heard the crack.    PT says, "Oh, so your hip hurts too?"  It was not "hurt," it was excruciating PAIN.  I said, "Not until you broke it."  My hip wasn't hurt at all, my femur was broken...badly, and (apparently) shockingly.  Thereafter I was corrected, "She was not a physical therapist; SHE WAS AN AIDE!"   image.png.5532424c39618503d39b199ac2862d79.png

That’s some story.  It must have been very painful.  Some of them do more harm than good.  What happed to your femur bone after that?

• Like 2
On 10/8/2024 at 5:24 PM, kristen111 said:

What happed to your femur bone after that?

I have a long plate and several pins in that bone; seems sturdy and is "achy" now and then.   Our weather doesn't get THAT cold, so its only "annoying" pain in the winter.  The knee pain is worse than ever.  Because they're afraid of malpractice suites, they (medical professionals) never apologize for anything.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
6 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I have a long plate and several pins in that bone; seems sturdy and is "achy" now and then.   Our weather doesn't get THAT cold, so its only "annoying" pain in the winter.  The knee pain is worse than ever.  Because they're afraid of malpractice suites, they (medical professionals) never apologize for anything.

I’m sorry you went through all that.  I think anyone thst had orthopedic surgery has pain, especially during bad weather.  My husband and I both had spinal surgery, and the pain is always around unfortunately.  My heating pad is my best friend .. one on my bed and one on the sofa.  Plus, every night, husband rubs my back.   He’s a good boy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I’m trying to remember when I got my first spontaneous foot fracture… 50 . I moved away 3 years later got another one , so sent for my records from my family doctor  because I couldn’t  remember which foot it was.  I  read the report from the podiatrist  that  I had osteopenia ,which I don’t recall being told. The biggest was a fracture was my femur after standing on a cement floor ( florist) for 10 days straight while the owners took a Christmas vacation. By that time it was osteoporosis and wound up taking Fosamax for 13 years.

Back Atcha & krisen 111 :  for years what I’ve noticed while going to PT in many cities is that  PT students will be instructing / handling you , which pisses me off. 

On a good note I got to see Johnny Mathis twice and the last time was on Valentines night 2013.  He was fantastic and only then did I realize he was only 10 years older than I was because I’d been in love with him since I was 14 and was a local star.  
My husband and I were in Las Vegas many many years ago and were talking or mentioned Wayne Newton and the taxi driver went on and on how much the city/ community loved him. 

• Like 2