Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: The Wormhole

• Start Topic

With four people remaining, food insecurity reaches a high; one participant loses part of their harvest; another survivalist battles sickness brought on by an unfortunate source. 

Air date: August 15, 2024

Kind of makes you wonder how Crazy Dave managed to store all those fish in Patagonia.  He had more than 50 dried fish in his cabin when they pulled him for anorexia/weight loss.

Good for William for snaring that bird!

We will never hear what really happened to Dub, nor anything about Sarah's health problems unless we listen to the podcast.  Watching a show stretched out to 90 minutes is my limit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Timber is a character but I like him.  I'll be surprised if he doesn't win.  I like William too and think he may have a shot as he's very determined and has skills.  I'd love to know what varmint got his food stash without disturbing the protective coverings.  

• Like 7
On 8/16/2024 at 1:06 PM, meep.meep said:

Watching a show stretched out to 90 minutes is my limit.

Agree, it's a little long for my taste, I prefer this show at 60 minutes.  Especially since Alone Australia follows directly after.  I kind of wish they would run these separately instead of concurrently, because I sometimes get the contestants confused.  I was looking for one of the Australian contestants on here.

That pine marten must have squirmed underneath those rocks to get that food.  That must be incredibly frustrating.

Timber may not be very popular here - I notice he spoke of himself in the third person in this episode - but he's very skilled.  He's good at assessing other people's skills too, he knew pretty much which of his rivals would likely still be out there competing against him.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Agree, it's a little long for my taste, I prefer this show at 60 minutes.  Especially since Alone Australia follows directly after.  I kind of wish they would run these separately instead of concurrently, because I sometimes get the contestants confused.  I was looking for one of the Australian contestants on here.

Me, too!  It would have been so much better if they would have run Australia after the Arctic had finished.  

The length doesn't really bother me, but with the extended time, I'd expect to see everyone each episode.  Just because Timber is entertaining doesn't mean you need to have him on the majority of the episode.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

The length doesn't really bother me, but with the extended time, I'd expect to see everyone each episode.

Well, the length bothers me.  To be honest, I don't watch it live, I record them and then watch Alone and the Australian version separately.  But still, there are only so many hours in a day.  What do these people think, I've got nothing else to do but watch TV?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Timber may not be very popular here - I notice he spoke of himself in the third person in this episode - but he's very skilled.  He's good at assessing other people's skills too, he knew pretty much which of his rivals would likely still be out there competing against him.

Timber has his quirks but he doesn't really bother me. I understand how both he and Dub are products of their difficult circumstances and so I have some empathy for them for that. I related to what Dub was saying about being picked on making him resilient and stubborn. I have found reasons to care about both of these guys as well as reasons to respect them.

On 8/16/2024 at 5:06 PM, mlp said:

Timber is a character but I like him.  I'll be surprised if he doesn't win.  I like William too and think he may have a shot as he's very determined and has skills.  I'd love to know what varmint got his food stash without disturbing the protective coverings.  

I actually wouldn't count out Dub at this point either. Unless he gets sick again or can't find food. He's pretty stubborn and determined.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Well, the length bothers me.  To be honest, I don't watch it live, I record them and then watch Alone and the Australian version separately.  But still, there are only so many hours in a day.  What do these people think, I've got nothing else to do but watch TV?

I don't watch anything live either and even with skipping over commercials it's a lot to ask, and I'm retired!

Many of my reality shows started as one hour shows then kept getting longer. One started as a one hour show and increased to a ridiculous 3 hours - no exaggeration! I think people complained so they brought it down to 2 hours where it had been for a few years. It's a sign that a show is popular and that the network is trying to milk it for all it's worth. Also because they don't have much else on the network that's that popular. Often there isn't much more added in the way of air time when they lengthen a show because the commercial breaks also get longer. But it's still ridiculous.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 8/18/2024 at 1:27 AM, rmontro said:

To be honest, I don't watch it live, I record them and then watch Alone and the Australian version separately.  But still, there are only so many hours in a day.  What do these people think, I've got nothing else to do but watch TV?

On 8/18/2024 at 4:31 AM, Yeah No said:

I don't watch anything live either and even with skipping over commercials it's a lot to ask, and I'm retired!

I don't watch live, so that's why the length really doesn't bother me.  I can watch some on Friday, then some on Saturday, or watch it all on Sunday.  It's not like I'm going to be spoiled that Jake got tapped.  I can only remember one time that I was spoiled on a survival type reality show.  So I'll just watch at my leisure.  Most of the time, I'm watching over 2 days because Mr. Max gets up for work stupid early, so he's usually in bed by 7:00.

On 8/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, rmontro said:

Timber may not be very popular here

I'm here and he is very popular with me.  I don't think there is any need to be apologetic about him either.  I'm proud to declare him my favorite from about the second or third episode on.

I absolutely loved the tribal mounting of the moose head sequence with the dumb guy being directed by the head guy.  Brilliant, fun and the way to enjoy the experience unlike all these dour and sobbing and missing the family types.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Skooma said:

I'm here and he is very popular with me.  I don't think there is any need to be apologetic about him either.  I'm proud to declare him my favorite from about the second or third episode on.

I didn't think I was being apologetic about Timber. I do think he's quirky but I empathize with anyone that's been through what he's faced in life and as far as Dub is concerned I too was picked on as a kid so I know exactly how that is and have empathy for him for that. And no apologies are necessary.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I didn't think I was being apologetic about Timber. I do think he's quirky but I empathize with anyone that's been through what he's faced in life and as far as Dub is concerned I too was picked on as a kid so I know exactly how that is and have empathy for him for that. And no apologies are necessary.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning you at all.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Skooma said:

I absolutely loved the tribal mounting of the moose head sequence with the dumb guy being directed by the head guy. 

Lol, that was kind of funny.  I'm not sure I can remember a time when a contestant has put on a skit like that and had that kind of help from the editors.  I'm talking about when there were multiple voices whooping over each other, which made it seem like there was a whole tribe present.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they have that kind of editing equipment out in the field.

• Like 5