Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: One Pike At A Time

• Start Topic

The call of home grows stronger as the harsh realities of remote Arctic living set in for some participants. One survivalist finally gets their chance at big game, while another is caught off guard by a false sense of security.

Air date: August 1, 2024

Is 4 people left at day 23 a new record low by that date?

I feel like the show didn't do so well picking the cast this season and it's irking me to think that so many other applicants might have been better choices. I also still wonder whether there's something going on with the water or some environmental factor in that area because an awful lot of these people seem to be having gastrointestinal and other related symptoms. I keep theorizing that it might be very heavy in certain minerals that can cause such things.

The few left seem to be the most hardcore of the bunch and the quirkiest (aka not so lovable). This might end up being a season where we have only a handful left that continue on for a very long time. Either this season will be a shorter than average one or we're going to end up pretty bored by the time it's over. Although the prospect of seeing another moose kill is pretty exciting.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Poor William, he can't seem to keep that mink out of his food. Thank god they use subtitles, I don't understand most of what he says. 

Timber following the bear tracks and noting how fresh they were, and then kept going! I was practically hiding under my covers on his behalf. I am interested to find out if the "pee stick" really works. Hid moose house celebration was well edited, good job producers! Honestly, he's my pick to win. He's annoying but he has his sh*t together. Nothing seems to rattle him. He built an awesome shelter. Has plenty of food and seems to be consistent in getting more. 

Sarah, what a sad life she's had. Talking about her husband's stroke made my heart hurt for her. Glad he ended up being ok.

Dub....is strange. I don't connect with him. Nothing personal, just a weird vibe.

Isaiah, the writing was on the wall when he started building that shelter. He was doing too much and not foraging/hunting enough to make up for the lost calories. I'm hoping the chest pains were from anxiety or dehydration/lack of food. He seemed like a nice guy, I think he overdid it with the shelter. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Is 4 people left at day 23 a new record low by that date?

The strange thing is there seems to be a decent amount of food available too.  I imagine it will get scarce pretty quickly.

One thing I like about Timber is that he actually seems to be enjoying the solitude, plus he recognizes God.  Could have done without that Moose House celebration, but I guess it was goofy enough to be entertaining.

3 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

Isaiah, the writing was on the wall when he started building that shelter. He was doing too much and not foraging/hunting enough to make up for the lost calories. 

We have seen examples of this repeatedly over the years, a core mistake.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

The strange thing is there seems to be a decent amount of food available too.  I imagine it will get scarce pretty quickly.

I was thinking that too. It's strange that so many have left when their conditions and food availability have been pretty good. So maybe I am on track to wonder if something else is going on to explain it. What bugs me are the BS reasons some of them give when tapping out. There's no shame in saying you feel like crap and are worried about your health. At least this guy admitted that, but just stop with the "I've achieved what I wanted to achieve" or "Home is where I'm really needed." Puhleeeze.....🙄

He actually admitted that he suffers from high blood pressure and other issues. He's young for that sort of thing. I would think the show would be concerned about someone out there with certain medical conditions.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

At least this guy admitted that, but just stop with the "I've achieved what I wanted to achieve" or "Home is where I'm really needed." Puhleeeze.....🙄

I just wonder if they are trying to lie to the viewers, or trying to lie to themselves?  I mean, this is a tough competition, I don't see failure as being that humiliating.  Some of the contestants have survival-related businesses, so maybe in that case I can see them trying to save some sort of face about their ability.  But it shouldn't be that bad, the contestants are set up to fail.

By the way, ever wonder if any of the contestants cheat?  Like by smuggling in a few snacks, or by hunting a forbidden bird off camera, or whatever?

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I just wonder if they are trying to lie to the viewers, or trying to lie to themselves?  I mean, this is a tough competition, I don't see failure as being that humiliating.  Some of the contestants have survival-related businesses, so maybe in that case I can see them trying to save some sort of face about their ability.  But it shouldn't be that bad, the contestants are set up to fail.

By the way, ever wonder if any of the contestants cheat?  Like by smuggling in a few snacks, or by hunting a forbidden bird off camera, or whatever?

I've wondered that too and also if the show wants them to minimize the potential danger of their medical conditions so the public doesn't get too alarmed.

I read once that they are searched before being dropped off so they can't smuggle in anything not disclosed.

But yeah, what about off camera? As far as we know the show isn't video monitoring them 24/7 so it is actually possible for them to cheat by hunting animals not allowed. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I jumped into the rabbit hole known as Reddit looking to see if someone knew if 4 left at 23 days was a new record.  I didn't find that, but I did find something just as interesting:  Jake has been posting recently.  His user name there is jakewoodsrunner.  He mentions that he was trying to come up with a bushcraft version of an enema bag before he got pulled.  He spent a week in the hospital getting things sorted and is fine now.  

The Reddit forum is: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I jumped into the rabbit hole known as Reddit looking to see if someone knew if 4 left at 23 days was a new record. 

I checked Wikipedia.  According to their statistics, the only thing closer was the season in which they had couples (not really "Alone").  As of day 14, only three couples remained.

• Useful 1

I was shocked when Isaiah said he had high blood pressure and high cholesterol and still competed. Those conditions require medication management, esp at his age, to prevent coronary heart disease. What was he thinking? What were the casting people thinking? No sympathy from me. That was a stupid decision. 

The war continues between William and Sassy. Point to Sassy this round.

Ugh, Timber. I'm glad he's having fun.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I was shocked when Isaiah said he had high blood pressure and high cholesterol and still competed. Those conditions require medication management, esp at his age, to prevent coronary heart disease. What was he thinking? What were the casting people thinking? No sympathy from me. That was a stupid decision.

I said similar above but perhaps the show is OK with letting someone on with certain medical conditions if they are managing them well with meds. I also remember reading that the show is OK with contestants bringing medications to manage their conditions, as long as with those medications they are fine. And they don't count toward their total items either.

I wonder now if he was bringing up those conditions to show how he has reasons to be worried about his health even though he's managing them well. Like he just thought he'd throw that in there to make his situation look more perilous so we don't think he wussed out too soon, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1

Hmm, I wasn't sure how they managed medications out in the Arctic or the other godforsaken places they send these folks. How are they supposed to know how many days' worth to pack? Some people may stay 100 days, what if they only bring 90 days' worth? Perhaps the medical team supplies them with their prescriptions on their routine weigh-ins. 

• Like 1
On 8/5/2024 at 5:49 PM, Red Bridey said:

Some people may stay 100 days, what if they only bring 90 days' worth? Perhaps the medical team supplies them with their prescriptions on their routine weigh-ins. 

You would think that their dosages might need to be adjusted if their bodies start reacting differently to their prescriptions as their weight drops and nutritional state changes.  I wonder if the doctor at the med checks might adjust their prescription for them?  I wonder if they want to take that responsibility, but perhaps that is covered by their contract agreement?

• Useful 3
On 8/4/2024 at 2:51 AM, rmontro said:

How many times this season have we heard "Oh, I forgot the camera, but look at what I got when I wasn't filming?"  So they don't have the cameras running constantly.  Yeah, I think some are eating forbidden game.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I think this was the ep where one of the guys filmed the family of wolves across the river.  I find myself wondering if these folks could be killed by a pack of wolves.  Would the wolves attack a human?  How fast could the crew get out there?   

2 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I think this was the ep where one of the guys filmed the family of wolves across the river.  I find myself wondering if these folks could be killed by a pack of wolves.  Would the wolves attack a human?  How fast could the crew get out there?   

Those wolves across the river were far more frightening than the one that was endlessly teased about 5 years ago. 

12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Those wolves across the river were far more frightening than the one that was endlessly teased about 5 years ago. 

I agree.  I was feeling quite nervous as he filmed them. That's what made me wonder if those wolves would want to come over to his camp and attack him. A single human would be no match for a pack of wolves.