Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I'm loving watching this sport! The creativity and athleticism are spectacular! I've been riveted since it started this morning. I'm way out of step with the judges, though. I love the creativity and artistry and musicality, while the judges seem to be rewarding the more technically difficult routines. But then, that's how it is when I watch figure skating and gymnastics, too.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

She's the only one I didn't enjoy watching at all. 

She was terrible, but at the same time I couldn't look away. Homegirl really busted out the kangaroo hops in her PE teacher track suit. 😭spacer.png

• LOL 16
1 hour ago, WhitneyWhit said:

The IOC says no Latin/Ballroom dancing but yes to this. 

i have a feeling this was said yes to - because it's very prevalent in France. it's the same why Tokyo had Baseball/Softball back on the Olympic Programme (because baseball is huge there). but it's not in France as most countries refuse to build a stadium) - but i think it's back on the Docket for LA/Brisbane

[so i have a big feeling if they went to a country where ballroom/latin dancing was MASSIVE they'd allow it then]

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

i have a feeling this was said yes to - because it's very prevalent in France. it's the same why Tokyo had Baseball/Softball back on the Olympic Programme (because baseball is huge there). but it's not in France as most countries refuse to build a stadium) - but i think it's back on the Docket for LA/Brisbane

Yup, and it's the same reason why flag football will be an event in 28.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 1

The one thing that kept coming through to me watching this was that the competitors were going as hard as they could in their dance battles but they were having so much fun doing it!  

• Like 5

i am watching this. and i have no idea what's going on LMAO. CBC commentators are like just enjoying it and is like OH YAH!! this is great!!! and oh right that was good execution hahaha. but they look they are enjoying themselves so right on

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Came in on the semifinals of the women's (girls?) "battle." Found it entertaining in part because it was, let's face it, over very quickly. I think I watched the medal competition for maybe half an hour! I missed the crazy Aussie woman, unfortunately 😢...I will have to try to find it on whatever platforms I have available to me. The commentators were ecstatic with the first ever Olympic medal in breaking...well, it appears to be the first, last, and only Olympic medal for breaking as there will be no competition in LA.

Ooh, Men's coverage is on now!

Wow these men are all SO good. Glad there isn't some joke competitor like Raygun to overshadow the entire competition today!

Shallow note: Victor deserves a nod in the Olympic Hotties thread.

• Like 3

I'm not surprised that LA won't be having breaking at their Olympics.  While it's entertaining to watch, I don't think of it as an Olympic sport.  It's more like a fun contest.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 4

I don't know what happened with the Japanese athlete (who was wearing a black shirt) but the crowd was pissed

I will also say - an event like this needs to have a strong colour person and then have the analyst be all Ooho Oooh. - if anyone saw my reaction in the Judo contest as cool as it was - i really had no idea what was going on and the play by play person got so wrapped up in the event they didn't really break it down  either (which sometimes is fine. get caught up in it) but at the same time   - we kinda need to know what's going on! LOL

honestly with the Docket as full as it is and a lot of other things struggling to get back on [Baseball/Softball], wanting to get in [American Football], etc - i can really see this being a one and done event. 

• Like 5

I'm enjoying the men's knockout rounds. If this comes back as an Olympic sport in 2032 (and I really hope it does), I hope they approach the commentary a bit differently. I like it when commentators balance educating people new to a sport with going deep in the weeds with their own knowledge. Feel like that was missing here.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

I'm enjoying the men's knockout rounds. If this comes back as an Olympic sport in 2032 (and I really hope it does), I hope they approach the commentary a bit differently. I like it when commentators balance educating people new to a sport with going deep in the weeds with their own knowledge. Feel like that was missing here.

big same. i am so lost. no idea why people are winning/not winning. one guy is basically making things up as he goes on so it's like "there's no name to it!". the USA Guy [Victor]. got upset by France - no real explanation to why that's an upset

just. lost as enjoyable as this is. 

• Like 4

Canada Wins Gold!
to be honest. i didn't even need them to explain why - he was REALLY that much better in the final round than France.  but it would have been nice to hear why over them both geeking out lol

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Congrats to Phil for the decisive win and having a blast will doing it. :) To my untrained eye it seemed like Dany Dan might have gotten some home cooking prior to that. Thought Victor clearly had the edge over him in their battle and would have been a tougher matchup for Phil at the end.

Also was sad that Shigekix didn't medal. He was my favorite to watch from an entertainment standpoint with the nonstop energy and flashiness he brought. Also thought the other American, Jeffro, was a great entertainer.

Awesome moment with Hiro10 going insane on the cypher and walking off with all his emotions pouring out.

Kinda sad now that this won't be a part of 2028.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Apparently Rachel Gunn has issues with cultural appropriation and Breaking, has written a PhD thesis on it, and it appears that she's somewhat of a scammer if you read the plethora of articles on her going round at the moment:

https://www.elle.com.au/culture/rachel-gunn-olympics-raygun/

https://www.marca.com/en/olympic-games/breaking/2024/08/13/66bbb77bca4741090e8b45e1.html

Make of it what you will.

The original ticktock with the accusations came across my FYP yesterday & I watched it through to the end. Wasn't sure what I thought of it to be honest, more of a wait & see than believing it outright.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

Apparently Rachel Gunn has issues with cultural appropriation and Breaking, has written a PhD thesis on it, and it appears that she's somewhat of a scammer if you read the plethora of articles on her going round at the moment:

https://www.elle.com.au/culture/rachel-gunn-olympics-raygun/

https://www.marca.com/en/olympic-games/breaking/2024/08/13/66bbb77bca4741090e8b45e1.html

Make of it what you will.

She is more and more reminding me of the infamous Elizabeth Swaney.

• Useful 1