Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Premieres on ID on Monday May 13 at 9pm ET and streams on Max

“‘Spacey Unmasked’ chronicles testimony from men in the U.S. and the U.K. spanning nearly the entirety of Spacey’s career — from experiences by actors and employees during his tenure at the Old Vic Theater in London to accounts of behavior on the sets of his television and film projects.” In addition to these testimonies, the documentary features access to Randall Fowler, Spacey’s older brother, who offers insight into their tumultuous childhood.

Article on doc series with first look trailer

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/kevin-spacey-unmasked-trailer-sexual-harassment-allegations-1235995314/

• Useful 1
(edited)

Not even 8 minutes in and the Nazi stuff with the father has me going…

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
I am sure more thoughts will follow, just had to get that out of the way. Was not on my Bingo card for this series.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Like 4
25 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I am sure more thoughts will follow, just had to get that out of the way. Was not on my Bingo card for this series.

I had read that and something else earlier in an article so it didn’t surprise me. But clearly those kids had a difficult childhood.

I’ve only watched the first 40 minutes of Part 1 so far and it’s sad how Spacey kept hitting on and sexually harassing and violating men. I’m not that shocked given all the previous reports and especially what happened on “House of Cards”, but it’s still sad to hear

• Like 5
(edited)
57 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Yeah, I didn't know that, either. But I didn't know much about Spacey in genera (like, for instance, the fact that Spacey isn't his actual last name), and while I knew his name and had certainly heard of a lot of his movies, the only one I've actually seen was American Beauty and that was waaaaaaaaaaaay back shortly after it came out, when it was on some movie channel somewhere once. I didn't follow his career in general, I didn't follow any celebrity gossip about him, so the MeToo accusations were the first I'd ever heard of any of that sort of thing.

But man, these stories. It's clear he was extremely good at manipulating people and knowing how to control the situation. The guy talking about being trapped in that locked hotel room with him, and escaping after planting a big kiss on him to throw him off. Good lord, that was chilling. It's just wild to see how easily he can turn on and turn off this whole persona, how he can be this totally chill, typical actor in interviews and then have this whole other side to him in private. Using those actor skills in some deeply unsettling ways. It's almost like he's got two separate identiteis, or that's how he's presenting himself, anyway. 

And of course, the fact he's being fawned over and getting starry-eyed fans drawn in just makes it that much easier for him to get away with his crimes. 

I really appreciated Scott's response to the idea that he should've just punched Kevin when he started assaulting him. I know people like to act like they know what they'll do in situations like this, as part of the whole, "Well, I wouldn't let it get that far, I would put a stop to it right away.", but no. It's so easy to think you'll know what to do in a situation like that...right until you're actually experiencing it. I've been fortunate to never be in a situation like this, I would like to think I'd know how to respond if, God forbid, I ever were, but I'm also not presumptuous enough to act like I can be certain that is how I would react in reality. Fear is a very complex emotion. 

To say nothing of how, okay, let's say Scott had punched him. That still would not have solved anything. Kevin could've retaliated against him in any and every way possible, the attention the scuffle would bring would cause a whole new host of problems. His life wouldn't be magically better just 'cause he punched him to get him to stop. I just don't think people understand how manipulative people like this can be and are. 

It's also frustrating, the whole thing of people conflating exposing his crimes with outing him. I get why they were thinking about that, and afraid of that, for a whole host of reasons, especailly given the culture and general attitudes out there, but at the same time...his assaults had nothing to do with or any bearing on sexual attraction. It's not about sex and sexual attraction for people like him, it's about power and control. 

That said, I definitely think he used the fear of being outed to his advantage, for sure. 

(Also, holy shit, Kevin's brother's story about his dad's abuse when he was a teenager. Jesus.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

It's also frustrating, the whole thing of people conflating exposing his crimes with outing him. I get why they were thinking about that, and afraid of that, for a whole host of reasons, especailly given the culture and general attitudes out there, but at the same time...his assaults had nothing to do with or any bearing on sexual attraction. It's not about sex and sexual attraction for people like him, it's about power and control.

It really is frustrating. It isn’t about attraction, but control. Also; I think if you are going around abusing people all bets are off about being outed. He gave up any right to keep that side of himself private when he started abusing, harassing and assaulting people.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

I liked how the documentary made a pont of talking about how, after Spacey came out, since then he never once did or said anything to show support to the LGBTQ+ community in any way, shape, or form. Using such a personal expereince as that of coming out to try and deflect from his crimes is a special level of ick. To say nothing of how doing that in the midst of all these sexual assault accusations is even more offensive when you consider all the anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric out there talking about how gay people are "pedophiles" and "grooming" people. 

Just...read the fucking room, Spacey, and shut up. 

Also, I'd totally forgotten about that weird video he did until it was mentioned here. I'd never seen it until now, though, and...what the actual hell? 

• Like 6
8 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

It really is frustrating. It isn’t about attraction, but control. Also; I think if you are going around abusing people all bets are off about being outed. He gave up any right to keep that side of himself private when he started abusing, harassing and assaulting people.

Exactly. I don’t believe in outing most people, but I totally support doing so for gay politicians who are publicly anti-LBGTQ+ for example, and certainly someone like Spacey who likely used people’s aversion to outing him to keep hurting people. 

I’ve seen Part 1 so far and Spacey is such an awful person. Who knows if him saying to some of his targets that he wasn’t gay was just a ploy or he really did have some self hatred

• Useful 4

Another documentary series that made me ill to watch.

I did like the story about how that one guy got away from Spacey by planting a kiss on him then bolting.

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I liked how the documentary made a pont of talking about how, after Spacey came out, since then he never once did or said anything to show support to the LGBTQ+ community in any way, shape, or form. Using such a personal expereince as that of coming out to try and deflect from his crimes is a special level of ick. To say nothing of how doing that in the midst of all these sexual assault accusations is even more offensive when you consider all the anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric out there talking about how gay people are "pedophiles" and "grooming" people. 

Just...read the fucking room, Spacey, and shut up. 

This. 

• Like 5

What a psychopath. Honest to god he's got the qualities of a serial killer. I would not be surprised to find out he'd killed someone.

I remember a long time ago a story about him in People (or something like that) where someone asked about why he kept his love life private. He said "people think its weird that I don't advertise my dating life, but at one time that was referred to as being a gentleman."  He was on the red carpet and quite possibly assaulted someone that very night like the guy in the Savoy.

I used to really like him - it's sad to see that he isnt just flawed, but borderline evil.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, sskrill said:

What a psychopath. Honest to god he's got the qualities of a serial killer. I would not be surprised to find out he'd killed someone.

Right? The way they described his eyes and just how his personality would flip makes me think personality disorder.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, sskrill said:

I remember a long time ago a story about him in People (or something like that) where someone asked about why he kept his love life private. He said "people think its weird that I don't advertise my dating life, but at one time that was referred to as being a gentleman."  He was on the red carpet and quite possibly assaulted someone that very night like the guy in the Savoy.

It's strange how on the one hand he was so big about the importance of privacy, and yet some of his sexual assaults were happening in public places, or places where there were other people nearby. Even with the lights low in a theater or taking someone into a room, there was still a chance of him being caught or seen by somebody. 

Which, disturbingly, was likely part of the thrill for him. 

Also makes all his concerns about being outed all the more curious, 'cause, uh, if you don't want people to learn about that particular aspect of your life, in any way, going after people in public spaces seems to kind of run counter to that. 

• Like 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Which, disturbingly, was likely part of the thrill for him. 

I thought that to. Also, he seemed to really target straight men and got off on “flipping them.”🤢 It struck me as indicative of how this was a big power play for him; he saw it as a game. It wasn't about getting his “needs met.” He was a predator who liked the hunt.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I thought that to. Also, he seemed to really target straight men and got off on “flipping them.”🤢 It struck me as indicative of how this was a big power play for him; he saw it as a game. It wasn't about getting his “needs met.” He was a predator who liked the hunt.

Yeah, targeting straight men to turn seems especially diabolical

• Useful 1

I just looked at his twitter account where he's claiming to be the victim here. Not a single negative comment - I'm guessing he's deleting and blocking.

How he has not been convicted?  Although I guess innocent and not guilty are not the same thing.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, sskrill said:

I just looked at his twitter account where he's claiming to be the victim here. Not a single negative comment - I'm guessing he's deleting and blocking.

How he has not been convicted?  Although I guess innocent and not guilty are not the same thing.

Sadly, he hasn't been convicted yet. There was a recent court case in the UK with several men accusing him and previous case where an actor had accused him, but he was found not guilty

• Sad 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 10:11 PM, sskrill said:

I wondered the same thing. He was treated differently than Havey Weinstein. Harvey's offenses were more egregious and clearly criminal, so maybe that is why? But it bothered me hear the one guy say that Spacey did wasn't criminal. Grabbing someone's genitals without their consent isn't criminal. Ok....

Just finished second episode. The guy is a nut job. His brother's abuse story was horrible. Hate to say it, but I don't believe Spacey wasn't also a victim of his father. His mother stood outside that door and did nothing when the brother was in there with the father. She did nothing during the years it was going on. I don't believe she didn't suspect what was happening. Also don't believe she was able to protect Spacey given how clearly she failed his brother. 

What is Kevin Spacey doing now? I hope his career is over. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 2