Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

Premieres Sunday, May 5, 9pm EDT

Sisters Becca and Rosaline receive shocking news about their mother. They go to the Isle of Man to discover more and are reunited after years apart.

Obviously there is more to be revealed, but just the idea that being adopted and developing a relationship with her birth mother would be inherently disloyal strikes me as absurd, and even offensive.

I thought, when the guy went to see Stockard Channing's character, that maybe she was the mom's lover, or the three of them were in a throuple, but I guess not. 

I find both sisters equally unlikable, so far.

Is Stockard Channing dispensing medical marijuana? Is that illegal there?

• Like 4
(edited)

Interesting as the story is, I have absolutely no idea how to relate, or empathize with Becca and Ros. I grew up in a house with a mother whose most frequent utterance was, “It’s none of your business.” That said, I can relate to the antipathy between the two sisters and I’m curious to know the age difference. Why the issue of the men’s shirts in the drawer? Maybe they belonged to Joan. 
As far as the drug thing goes, I don’t think it’s limited to marijuana. Channing’s character was missing pills/liquids from the cupboard and she seemed to be searching for the same in the bathroom when she visited the daughters. I’m thinking the group picture on the beach are friends who help older, sick people in communities on the island.

Becca is an idiot. Parents lie to children as a matter of course, for all kinds of reasons, including their safety.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Obviously there is more to be revealed, but just the idea that being adopted and developing a relationship with her birth mother would be inherently disloyal strikes me as absurd, and even offensive.

As an adoptee myself as well as my brother, I can confirm those feelings can come up. My brother’s birth family sought him out when he was an adult and he was a little afraid to tell our mom, feeling he would cause some hurt. But our parents were amazingly accepting

• Like 4
(edited)
43 minutes ago, DanaK said:

As an adoptee myself as well as my brother, I can confirm those feelings can come up. My brother’s birth family sought him out when he was an adult and he was a little afraid to tell our mom, feeling he would cause some hurt. But our parents were amazingly accepting

Me too. I didn't go looking until after my parents had died, then I found them. Earlier, I had to recover from my adopted daughter's finding her own birth parents. That took work on my part. 

Edited by MMEButterfly
  • Hugs 2

But she seemed to think it was disloyal to her husband and children. She waited until after her mother died to do the search. Hiding it from her own offspring seems like a different issue, to me. 

And her husband clearly knew and felt bad about it, from his behavior and saying he can't go there when his daughters wanted him to do so. He also didn't answer the phone calls, necessitating that they go to his house to inform him.

I think there had to be more to it than just the adoption.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

13 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

Me too. I didn't go looking until after my parents had died, then I found them. Earlier, I had to recover from my adopted daughter's finding her own birth parents. That took work on my part. 

My adoptive parents were alive when I first started to look. I told them once some progress had been made, but before I'd made contact. It turned out I had two older brothers I hadn't known about. My bio mom didn't want to meet me; that stung a bit, though I mostly understood. I have met my brothers, though.

But what a shock for her daughters to find out that way! I can't tell yet what their father knew. 

16 hours ago, Daff said:

Why the issue of the men’s shirts in the drawer?

Did their mother live with another man who was not their father? Pete? Or someone else?

• Like 3

Obviously, we’re supposed to believe Becca jumped to that conclusion. My issue is her OTT reaction to the shirts. As if she couldn’t live with the fact that they were in that drawer.

• Like 3

They clearly think it means something they consider scandalous. Either mom's been shacking up with a man  other than their dad/her husband, or mom's a "cross-dresser" -- which I guess they would consider shocking.

Or the shirts belong to someone else, maybe her birthdad, or birthmom, and she inherited them? Or she had rented the room to someone and the shirts belong to that person? 

I get that they are in shock-- their mother died suddenly and they found out she had a whole life going on that they knew nothing about, and which their father didn't explain when it became obvious they were going to discover it-- which adds to the feeling that it's a scandal.

I wish I didn't feel so irritated by the two of them. I do genuinely understand that they are in shock. But both sisters seem so unpleasant, not just grieving but kind of obnoxious at the same time.

• Like 3
(edited)

At first I thought that the deceased mother went in search of a child that she had out of wedlock - I was surprised to find out that she was an adopted child and went in search of her bio-family.  

I'm wondering about the shirts in the drawer and think that they will be part of something not as obvious as a male lover.   It will be interesting to see what the relationship between the mother and the Stockard Channing character was. 

Some of you are recounting about being adopted and looking for birth families.  My younger sister and I were kind of on a different side of that when we found out that our mother had been married previously and had 3 children with her first husband.   We didn't find this out until after she had died, and her youngest daughter from that marriage found my aunt and through her, me.    Talk about some heavy crap rocking one's world!   And then a few years after that, my father told me that he and my mother had never been legally married, as she had never actually been divorced from her husband!   

So whatever they "reveal" on this show will not be any real shock to this viewer.

Edited by 12catcrazy
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4