Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: 207 sq ft Minnesota Prairie Cottage

The family still seemed to be struggling with a lot of the things, and I was glad they had the railings extended.
Again, no stair railing.
I think in a standard house, the railings around the loft would have had to be 42" or maybe 43", again by Ontario rules, but it sounds reasonable.

It was a beautiful home, but I just can't get behind "the kids crawl into bed with us every night and they need a way to do that." I understand, on occasion, but nightly, enough to alter the construction of your home? No.  Not that the same safety concerns wouldn't be present no matter what the sleep situation was. Three and four year olds are probably not to be trusted on ladders, or apparently over a railing that was constructed for them. I don't understand why they had to build a copper guardrail rather than just telling the kids, "No, don't do that.  It's dangerous and you'll be hurt." And what happens when each need their own space? 

I understand that they home school the children, but the reluctance to switch to e-readers (which I think would be great for small spaces) bugged me. I know you are rainbows and sunshine and whatever, lady, but you have thismuch space, okay? Favorite books only and then e-reader the rest. Library visits, if you're in one place long enough. 

The episode really irritated me, for some reason. I understand the necessity of a tub when kids are that young but nightly detox baths? You've made the place toxin free, are eating organic, I assume you're avoiding the allergy/allergic reaction/keeping an eye on any conditions that may develop. Nightly detox, geez.

Edited by ScullyInApt42
  • Love 2

This was my favorite house so far, and I love the concept, but I could never do it with children.  Even as an adult couple that would still be far too noisy.  No divisions to peace.  By the way, no need to wrack your brain trying to figure out how to fit a tub in the stall and deciding on a wine barrel.  It's quirky and interesting, but as a child in a house with no tub my mom simply bathed us in a round galvanized tub.  Old problem solved ages ago.  

Detoxing is just fiction, but whatever.  But the house was beautiful.  Those kids need to stay in their own beds at night.  The Mom and Dad had no privacy.  E-readers would be a great thing for that small space.  I would hate to shower in a wine barrel, weird.

Edited by dcmjdc2
  • Love 2

I don't understand why they had to build a copper guardrail rather than just telling the kids, "No, don't do that.

Some kids are just born climbers, and I don't know why they didn't build the rail to regulation height to begin with.

I thought this house was going to be a disaster. So far this show has had a bad track record with building functional houses for families. But I was surprised with how well this turned out. A part of me kept wondering, "No sex...?" But if the kids were already sleeping in their parents' bed every night, I assume sex has stopped a long time ago. I wish they showed more of the house that belonged to that guy who had a tub hidden in a trap door? His house looked really unique and unlike any of the typical "living area/loft" houses we're used to seeing. 

Is it me or is the tiny house movement simply a magnet for the cray cray? Once again, I couldn't help but think the whole family would be better served by a standard portable single-wide.

Loved the exterior trim and the artdecoesque lights and window panes. Counter space is great. But man, it looks like a bleak depressing place to live. And I hate the eco-toilet.

• Love 3
Is it me or is the tiny house movement simply a magnet for the cray cray? Once again, I couldn't help but think the whole family would be better served by a standard portable single-wide.

I think the "cray cray" is especially strong when people say they want a tiny house to be mobile. I can't imagine having to pack everything up, tie everything down when it comes time to move it. And once again, they're squatters on someone else's property. Did they run electric out to the field, or a super extra long extension cord? The show continues to gloss over all of these things.

The "Tiny House" show I wouldn't mind watching would be about the people they visit who are living in tiny homes -- like the guy in this episode, with the tri-level tiny home, or the lady a couple of episodes ago with the garden or the couple. These are people who are really living the "tiny house movement." I'd love to see how they built their homes, what they did to prepare for life in 200 square feet, etc. I can't help but feel that except for the bachelor pad and the Colorado couple, the rest of the people (especially the ones with children) are just poseurs.

• Love 1

I think the "cray cray" is especially strong when people say they want a tiny house to be mobile. I can't imagine having to pack everything up, tie everything down when it comes time to move it. And once again, they're squatters on someone else's property. Did they run electric out to the field, or a super extra long extension cord? The show continues to gloss over all of these things.

Exactly. I want to know about those pesky details. And once again the Tiny Housers have relatives with property they can squat on. How nice. BTW, weren't they putting the cart before the horse assuming that hubby would get a job requiring traveling right away after graduating. Maybe they knew the job market well.

Hey guys, just joined the forum really to discuss this TV in particular.

I personally think a tiny house with small children is stupid, why are these people not thinking about their kids growing twice the size in a matter or years?

Was there not a direct access from a ladder to that second loft or was it only on the catwalk?

In regards to the land they live on and how they get power is really just glossed over, because it probably wouldn't be interesting for the audience so they don't include it.

The man with the tub in the floor, he works for Boeing and lives in Seattle, there is a 30 minute video on YouTube showing all the features of his house, it's really awesome, I believe the subscriber that has the film is Kirsten Dirksen.

My wife and I are in the process of building a tiny house and downsizing all our stuff. We are documenting our whole process on a website and it is way more involved than the Tv show leads on to be. I know for a fact that everyone on the TV show was In fact actually in the planning/ building stages of going tiny before the TV show contacted them, either that or they were very good liars. I can see going tiny very possible for a couple or a single person, I just don't get it for people with kids unless you build another little house for the offspring

• Love 3

"In regards to the land they live on and how they get power is really just glossed over, because it probably wouldn't be interesting for the audience so they don't include it."

It would be a whole hell of a lot more interesting than watching them downsize to the size of a Rubbermaid bin.  I don't need to see that process week after week.

• Love 3

"In regards to the land they live on and how they get power is really just glossed over, because it probably wouldn't be interesting for the audience so they don't include it."

It would be a whole hell of a lot more interesting than watching them downsize to the size of a Rubbermaid bin. I don't need to see that process week after week.

I completely agree with you, I just think that's how the network sees it. All the people on the show seem to be a tad bit caught off guard by downsizing, to me I feel that's one of the main reasons, less crap to worry about and pay to maintain

good that the parents figured out a 'safe' way for the kids to join them in bed each night, but what about when the rugrats need to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night?  is there really going to be enough time to wake up mom, have her go down the ladder and assist the kids down?  or will they install a non-toxic chamber pot for the kiddos?  I have always figured I would not be a 'ladder to the loft' kind of girl.  I would definitely need stairs WITH a railing.  I was putting a box on the top of a wardrobe this morning - still in my robe and slippers, on a ladder and I thought - NO WAY could I do this in the middle of the night, no glasses, having to pee....  :)

And, in general, the mom bugged.  Those kids seemed okay out in the elements - what exactly are their allergies?  And the looks on their faces when they first saw the house in progress?  Priceless!

WRT to kiddie katwalk - I could totally see it as extra storage, but it would be just me - cannot imagine more than one person (and maybe a pet) living in that small of a space