Type keyword(s) to search

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024)

• Start Topic

On 4/4/2024 at 4:21 PM, Spartan Girl said:

They have to use the original 80s theme music at some point, right?

Right?!

We have passed that trend of using the iconic music as a sample for a lame rap. Right?

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Full trailer

“Oh, I’ve missed you, Axel.”

I am SO looking forward to this.  Axel is one of my FAVORITE characters!

Though some article I read yesterday didn't list John Ashton also returning. Unless he dropped out? I could have sworn I read and saw he was also coming back?

ETA: Never mind. Stupid rag didn't think Ashton was worth the mention!

Kevin 'stache twirling badguy Bacon: "What brings you to 90210?"

Me: 😂

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kevin 'stache twirling badguy Bacon: "What brings you to 90210?"

I was just thinking, please don't let him be the bad guy....again 😁

It took me forever to realize that was Joseph Gordon Levitt, he looks so different with the bread and longish hair (haven't seen him in long hair since 3rd Rock)

I'm really looking forward to thus movie, the joke about '93 worked because I literally did not remember a 3rd movie

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I had no idea that was Mike from Breaking Bad in the original movie! He looked so YOUNG!

Heh. Jonathan Banks has always played the villain! The one exception was as Vinnie’s handler in Wiseguy. And since I never watched Breaking Bad I don’t know if was a good guy or bad.

Four Hours and 10 minutes!!!!

Interest Reaction GIF

• Like 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Heh. Jonathan Banks has always played the villain! The one exception was as Vinnie’s handler in Wiseguy. And since I never watched Breaking Bad I don’t know if was a good guy or bad.

A bit of both 😉 

I don’t care what the reviews for this are, I’m still watching it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

A bit of both 😉 

I don’t care what the reviews for this are, I’m still watching it.

I’m not reading any reviews. It’s Eddie. It’s Axel. That’s enough for me.

• Like 2
(edited)

All I need is the Pointer Sisters. I'll take coked out 80s mansion goons though. Seriously, this could be 90 minutes of Easter eggs and I'd be fine.

tbh, the original was obviously a showcase for Eddie Murphy, but they packed a ton of the 80s character actors in there. 

This should be my Saturday night movie depending on the soccer schedule. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1

Jonathan Banks was also a good guy (and very funny) in an episode of Designing Women

I love Beverly Hills Cop, so I'm looking forward to this one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've seen Jonathan Banks as a bad guy in an episode of Barnaby Jones.   He looked familiar, but I didn't recognize him outright, not  till I looked him up.  He was young with a full head of brown hair. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

There was a tepid review on FB about because everyone has to have a hot take, so I replied, "So what you're saying is anyone GenX is going to love it. Ok."

Today on Press Play the reviewers both loved it though. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

There was a tepid review on FB about because everyone has to have a hot take, so I replied, "So what you're saying is anyone GenX is going to love it. Ok."

Today on Press Play the reviewers both loved it though. 

Watching it tonight been stalling because I feel it deserves an 8pm viewing instead of mid-afternoon.

• Applause 2

While the first one remains the BEST, Axel F. was thoroughly enjoyable and it took me back! If I have one complaint it’s the change to Axel’s theme. There was no need to “modernize” it or do that slow down.

But man! Bob Seger’s “Shakediown”, Glenn Fry’s “The Heat is On”, The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance” was EVERYTHING.

I liked the pictures from the previous movies, Axel’s chief who had been murdered, Ronny Cox’s Lieutenant.

I was hoping for end credit scenes, or bloopers, but alas, no such luck.

• Like 1

Screw the critics, this was fun!

Axel’s schtick never gets old, but I laughed when he dropped the front at the fancy hotel because he was too tired. JFC those rooms cost more than they did in the 80s!

I thought JGL and Eddie worked well together.

So relieved they didn’t kill off Billy. Judge Reinhold, it feels like it’s been ages!

I was so damn happy whenever they played the original song. Didn’t care much for the modernized version though.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was hoping for end credit scenes, or bloopers, but alas, no such luck.

Me too. Was also disappointed that the scene with Axel, Billy and Taggert together in the car didn’t end with them going to the strip club. Mom thought for sure that would happen. Oh well, that part was still great.

• Like 1
(edited)

It was a good movie, more of an action dramady than comedy but, I enjoyed it. I liked the new/younger characters and, the relationships felt real.

It was nice to see Serge, Billy and Taggert again would have liked more Axel/Billy/Taggert or any combination of the trio but, I also really enjoyed Axel/Abbot and Abbot/Jane.

I kind of want BHC5 with Paul Reiser's Jeffrey coming out to BH. I think it would be hysterical to have Jeffrey/Taggert commiserate about Axel and even Billy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I did love how positively giddy Billy was when Axel was deliberately crashing into those cop cars to get “backup” and causing collateral damage. “Taggart is gonna shit himself!” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Honest Trailers was right: those coked-out mansion goons STILL have terrible aim!

• LOL 1
On 4/4/2024 at 4:21 PM, Spartan Girl said:

They have to use the original 80s theme music at some point, right?

Right?!

It turns out I was wrong Lil Nas X did the lame rap over the sample of the theme for the closing credits. 

I think this is the rare NetFlix original that could have made it in the theatres. But  then again a R rated comedy is something from my youth, as is Axel.

They *open* with The Heat is On. And then there's a massive shootout chase in a snow plow not even 10 minutes in. I don't think I'm going to make it. There's too much The 80s per beat. They're hitting all the songs early. 

Lots of nice easter eggs too with the pictures on the wall, the knife. 

I have to say, it's clever writing. You can't just do 1984 over again and try to capture the magic. I liked Bobby's retort - go ahead, and threaten my manhood; that doesn't work. They didn't waste much time establishing that Kevin Bacon was the bad guy. 

I thought we were going to get some drama with Axel yelling at Jane about defending a cop killer, but they kind of took a nice left turn on me there. Of course, it makes sense Axel would want to at least hear Rosewood out. He did mention it, but it's not liked he tried to talk her out of it. He called about Jane; then he's missing. He's going to want to unravel that thread. 

I cannot imagine how Paige wasn't breaking left and right with the scenes of just her and Murphy. There were a couple of times where she was supposed to laugh, but she looked genuine. 

Good casting with Gordon-Levitt too. He's good in everything. 

The damn closed captioning on Serge is killing me. It's worse than his actual dialect. 

Killer climax shootout at the mansion. Good on Netflix for giving all the money. 

On 7/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, Raja said:

But  then again a R rated comedy is something from my youth, as is Axel.

I don't know why there aren't more. There's got to be a market for it. I'm in that demo, and I have the disposable income to afford streaming services. Not everything needs to be pg13 for kids. 

• Like 1

My review of this movie can be summed up by Billy's line "God, I missed you, Axel."

Within the first few minutes it was blatantly obvious that Eddie was more into this and having more fun than in Part III.  He was back to Axel, and it was fantastic.

Of course Kevin Bacon is a coked out crooked cop.  Speaking of having fun, he obviously was as well, he got to play a coked out crooked cop against Axel Foley and he got to ham it up a little (see his taunting of Jane).

The movie also set up some minor characters that could be back if they do a part 5.  The 2 cops that arrested Axel at the beginning, granted one was Eddie's daughter, but they got to crack on Axel and came back later to let Taggert know that Axel and Bobby had been arrested by Grant.  They also had the realtor who they set up as a potential love interest for Serge.

• Like 1

Oh, please, no. The realtor was so vapid. 

I think they could easily make a sequel to this one where Axel moves from Detroit and works as a PI with Billy for Jane. You could still have Bobby around. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh, please, no. The realtor was so vapid. 

I think they could easily make a sequel to this one where Axel moves from Detroit and works as a PI with Billy for Jane. You could still have Bobby around. 

Can they shift to do it without the gunfight? When the ex boyfriend got suspended I had the wait a minute moment with Axel running around still armed. Chief Taggart should have signed off for his old friend 

I thought it was fun! Some of the crash/chase scenes felt gratuitously long and destructive but overall I enjoyed it. (A thousand times more than #3.) Great to see so many old faces back again, and JGL was a good addition.

When Bacon's character said he'd been hearing stories about Foley since the academy...but that math doesn't work unless he became a cop pretty late. Bacon is a bit older than Murphy, and he looks much older.

The music they used for the helicopter sounded similar to the Airwolf theme, probably not an accident.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, snarktini said:

When Bacon's character said he'd been hearing stories about Foley since the academy...but that math doesn't work unless he became a cop pretty late. Bacon is a bit older than Murphy, and he looks much older.

The music they used for the helicopter sounded similar to the Airwolf theme, probably not an accident.

Kevin Bacon is not that much older, certainly not in The Rookie territory of a career change to law enforcement as he potentially becomes a grandfather but rather someone who might have served one tour of military duty after college before joining the police when Axel F joined Detroit PD at their minimum age.

Edited by Raja
14 hours ago, snarktini said:

When Bacon's character said he'd been hearing stories about Foley since the academy...but that math doesn't work unless he became a cop pretty late.

I think he qualified by saying Taggart used to tell him. Taggart said later that he trained Bacon, when Axel suggested Bacon might be dirty.