Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E05; Auditions, Part 5

• Start Topic

So returning to the good old TwoP days, here's my conspiracy theory: the show really wants another female winner. Julia (the obvious candidate) is given a prime spot to sing, shows up looking schlubby with messy pulled-back hair, no makeup, and frumpy oversized clothing. She delivers a stellar song, plus she has a sob story background. She'll get a makeover, and turn out to have a cute figure. 

I also predict that the males who get to top 24 will either have good voices or looks, not both. (I'm guessing neither Spencer nor Isaiah from tonight in particular will advance). I have to note, though, that I barely remember anybody from the previous shows this season.

Exception: Keegan's (the roller skater) voice actually reminded me a bit of Adam Lambert. 

I was trying to figure out why this season is so boring, and I think it’s because the show is basically scripted at this point. Every detail feels like it was planned in advance. I agree the show is dying for a female winner.

Personally I thought the former Bachelor’s daughter was the best of the night. Her voice is beautiful. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Maya said:

Personally I thought the former Bachelor’s daughter was the best of the night. Her voice is beautiful. 

I liked her, too. 

There were a few teenagers that were good, but I do wonder how long some of them will last - some of them might be a little young yet to compete in this setting. Maybe would've been better to let them wait a couple more years. 

But overall, there were some pretty good singers last night. 

• Like 1

Idol wants a winner who can make them money, regardless of gender.  Unfortunately, since Season 12, the only winner to have some measurable success is Chayce Beckham, who has a Platinum record.

Is Julia someone who is actually marketable in the mainstream (we all know it's more about just singing ability) - or is Idol just exploiting her sob story - as they did with Iam.  He was one of the most over pimped contestants ever.  Yet he is the only winner to have never gotten a record deal.  He was barely even shown on the premiere.  Colin Stough got more camera time than him.

• Like 1

If they would stop shoving sob stories down our throats and just let America vote for the winner who sings the best, they’d have more success. I know for a fact that Noah Thompson played a small theatre near his hometown a few months back and there were only a few hundred people show up. I was running sound for the venue. He was a small town single dad though, so here ya go! 

I didn’t know that Iam didn’t have a record deal yet, but it cracks me up. For real. I kept saying there was no way he was remotely marketable outside of a small Hawaiian resort. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I didn’t know that Iam didn’t have a record deal yet, but it cracks me up. For real. I kept saying there was no way he was remotely marketable outside of a small Hawaiian resort. 

According to Wikipedia, Iam released three singles in 2023:  The first one sold only 11,000, the second one sold 2,000, and there's no info on the third.  No wonder he doesn't have a record deal.  I agree he won because of his sad back story.  Count me in as one who wishes the show would go back to concentrating on singing ability instead of sob stories.

• Useful 1