Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 7:07 AM, debraran said:
Spoiler

Does Trixie come back alone or with Jonty (doubt it) or ? Please no letting Matthew get hit by a bus.... 

I have no idea if the rift meant he's gone 100% or if he agrees to something but I never was invested in him but liked Trixie

. I was a minority in that maybe, I didn't want them married, it was "too pat" with his wife dying and so obvious. I didn't like the "savior" part and it all just rubbed me the wrong way. So whatever happens, it happens but I look forward to everyone else more.

Please STOP posting untagged spoilers!!!

Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Please STOP posting untagged spoilers!!!

You literally reposted the spoiler. It seems the original spoiler post is gone but now I ended up seeing yours.

(edited)
On 4/21/2024 at 9:35 PM, Sarah 103 said:

After getting involved in the church and working/volunteering at the soup kitchen, as well seeing how some people lived, he wanted to do something that would make more of a positive difference in the community. Due to TVLand logic, he was able to complete coursework, do something that I can't remember right now (hopefully someone else will be able to fill in the blank), and he was able to become a social worker. 

Same here. I am glad they provided more of an explanation of why he was acting the way he was. Not only did he believe in protecting Trixie (which is wrong for many reasons), but also he did not think he needed to tell her. He really believed that he was just one idea/decision away from improving the company's/his finances. 

Mrs. Higgins surprised me. She seems such a stickler for rules and procedure I was stunned she was willing to follow Dr. Turner's orders to keep the mother hidden and not tell the police until she had recovered. I guess like Dr. Turner she puts the patient's health and wellbeing first. 

I think the series did what a lot of series do which is to completely erase a character's pst history for the purpose of the series. Mostly this is done when they decide that a character who was a great villain suddenly becomes the hero - mostly that happens with American series - Chicago Police is a textbook example.

They wanted to keep Cyril as a character after Lucille left and there was no way to have him integrated into the plots unless they reinvented him as a social worker. Presto change-o

Mrs. Higgins has also been exhibiting a bit of a change from her original presentation as a stickler for the rules who didn't want any kind of transgression - even for the "greater good". As a bit of a real stretch, I spotted Georgie Glen, the actress portraying Mrs. Higgins in a role in Hysteria which is based on the true life invention of the electric vibrator by an English doctor because he was treating female patients with "hysteria" by manual  stimulation which was physically taxing. Mrs. Higgins as a patient who is coming to the doctor for orgasms is quite funny.

Edited by amarante
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, amarante said:

I think the series did what a lot of series do which is to completely erase a character's pst history for the purpose of the series. Mostly this is done when they decide that a character who was a great villain suddenly becomes the hero - mostly that happens with American series - Chicago Police is a textbook example.

They wanted to keep Cyril as a character after Lucille left and there was no way to have him integrated into the plots unless they reinvented him as a social worker. Presto change-o

Mrs. Higgins has also been exhibiting a bit of a change from her original presentation as a stickler for the rules who didn't want any kind of transgression - even for the "greater good". As a bit of a real stretch, I spotted Georgie Glen, the actress portraying Mrs. Higgins in a role in Hysteria which is based on the true life invention of the electric vibrator by an English doctor because he was treating female patients with "hysteria" by oral stimulation which was physically taxing. Mrs. Higgins as a patient who is coming to the doctor for orgasms is quite funny.

Early in the season, there was something about him needing mending or similar. One of the women helped him, and he said “When I was married” such things went smoothly.

So between that past-tense comment and his new career, presto change-o, we have NuCyril!

• Useful 1

Cyril was a civil engineer, working as a mechanic. Civil engineers are university educated...so, to change his career path, he only needed to take the additional courses for a social worker. And it seems, he was doing this with on-the-job-training...very common in the 1960s. It's not a far fetched as it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I could be misremembering--and I'm hesitant to Google anything CtM-related before the season is over--but when Cyril was first telling his church lady friend about his plan to get into social work, hadn't he seen a newspaper ad about a special program to get qualified in a short amount of time? I feel like there was some sort of scheme about getting new people qualified quickly.

These "one half of a fictional married couple wants to leave the show" scenarios never seem to work out well. Killing them off forces the surviving spouse into a grief storyline that might disrupt any other arc they had going on, but dramatically sending them away and then leaving loose ends doesn't really work either. I wish the show would normalize the spouse just being offscreen--Lucille could have stopped working after her marriage, or maybe gotten a different job in another part of the city. They could have phased the actress out more gradually while keeping the character in the background through references, one-sided phone calls, etc. It'd be really great, if an actor want to leave but the show didn't want to kill off the character or anything, to come to an arrangement where they come back for a few days of work each year, filming a handful of small scenes that they could spread throughout the season.

I can buy that Rosalind is more assertive/talkative personally than professionally, especially under exam conditions. I work as a sign language interpreter, and a few years ago, I had a really difficult time passing the screening to move to a new company. I can interpret just fine, but when I'm being observed/evaluated, it's hard for me to access my natural professional instincts. I get so focused on trying to make sure that I'm doing everything *perfectly* that I second-guess everything and it kind of falls apart.

I don't really mind there being four pupil midwives when only Joyce and Rosalind get storylines. For the training program that Nonnatus is doing, it makes sense to have a small group of them but only focus on those who are actually going to be characters. It was the same when they had the trainee doctors staying at Nonnatus--I think that was a group of four too, but we didn't really get to know more than a couple of them. And didn't Nancy originally come with a small group of trainees as well? I think the biggest difference here is that it's so *blatant* that the other two aren't characters. In previous instances where they did this, I remember the minor trainees getting at least a few lines.

• Like 5