Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Billy Joel Night

• Start Topic

Man this was a loaded group. I kept waiting for a Gong act at the end, and didn't get it. The guys were the weaker singers in the end, but any of them would be serious contenders through it all.

In the end, I figured Spaghetti and Meatballs would be the one to go because his costume seemed the simplest. Clock seems to have the most ornate costume so it's a good chance she'll go to the end, probably with Poodle Moth.

Lizard also had a somewhat simpler costume, so he may get eliminated next time or before the merger. Especially since the judges all seemed to recognize him in the end. 

But yeah, as mentioned in the live thread, the worst performance of hte night was Robin's. ouch that was painful. S&M and Lizard were 'weakest' only because  you had to pick someone in the end.

And yeah, Lizard pulled it out in the Showdown at the end which edged it out; he was obviously a stronger singer. 

As for the reveal:

Spoiler

I knew it wasn't Gordon Ramsey. The first clue for S&M was starting in business in New York. Gordon's businesses started in the UK I think. Plus there's no way Gordon's clue package wouldn't mention Football ("Soccer") in it somewhere. 

Guy wasn't a bad guess, but the voice didn't seem to match, and the build certainly didn't match. Guy's lost a lot of weight, but he doesn't have the needle build that S&M had. 

I don't know Robin's guess, but it seemed plausible based on his justification. 

Ken's final guess of Bobbi Flay seemed surprisingly plausible. The build matched (though S&M seems taller than I remember Bobby), but the voice and attitude didn't really match.

When I saw Masterchef's Joe under the mask it did make a lot of sense. And I was really impressed at how well he could sing. Well done performance by him, especially since it seemed like he was against at least 2 professional singers in his pool. 

• Like 2

Robin Thicke was terrible.  His voice is too high pitched for that song.  I think I just don't care for his singing in general.  He was decent when singing "As Long as We've Got Each Other" last season.  But generally, whenever he opens his mouth and this high-pitched singing voice starts up, I always think there is a big disconnect between that voice coming out of that body.  His normal speaking voice is low pitched (sounds just like his dad!) so I'm not sure why he sings like that.

This group had four great or decent singers but I thought Lizard was the worst.  The two women were both great.  This is a situation where I hope both Clock and Poodle Moth make it to the final.

I know they were all guessing black women for Clock, but I think she sounds very much like Christine Baranski.  I think the clue saying she has a "day" in her name is trying to make us think it's Andra Day or Zendaya, but she sounds just like Christine Baranski to me.

Rita looked amazing.  She looked great in that simple red dress.  Her guess of Gordon Ramsay for Spaghetti, however, was not.  And Jenny's guess of Guy Fieri was equally bad.  However, the fact that all of them were guessing chefs plus Rita's guess of Gordon Ramsay and Masterchef plus the very obvious Italian theme led me to guess Joe Bastianich.  He often makes references to being Italian and the singing voice sounded like his speaking voice. 

Good job by him.  This is the kind of contestant I like most, the ones who like Chloe Kim are famous for something else but nobody really knew they could sing.

I thought Lizard was passable but he's not a particularly outstanding singer.  His first song wasn't that great.  Makes me think that he's a rapper who normally doesn't sing.  He didn't seem as polished.  He only won the smackdown because of the "extras" he imparted into his performance.  Joe sang well but just straight up sang.  Lizard added his yeahs and whatnot and got the crowd on his side.

• Like 1

I think the clock is Bette Midler. She was on a Netflix show called the Politician. One of the episodes was titled Vienna after the Billy Joel song. I love Bette so I hope I'm right. Next week will feature Tv themes I hope someone does Greatest American Hero.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like Robin's performance.  I like that song and his singing took me out of it.

Joe Bastianich was decent and I guess Rita was Gordan adjacent in her guess.  Didn't get Jenny's guess at all.

I was thinking Lizard would get the boot but agree that at the end there he had the audience on his side.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I think the clock is Bette Midler. She was on a Netflix show called the Politician. One of the episodes was titled Vienna after the Billy Joel song. I love Bette so I hope I'm right. Next week will feature Tv themes I hope someone does Greatest American Hero.

There was a moment where I got Bette Midler vibes as well. I also thought this could be someone like Thelma Houston.

I also thought Lizard sounded better during the smackdown. There was a moment in the song where I thought I knew the voice. When he started doing his "yeah, yeah" it reminded me of Sisqo. He definitely brought the energy.

This entire group was better than the 1st two groups. Are they forced to have a person from each group in the finale?

Robin was just awful and should never try to sing a Billy Joel song again.

• Like 3

I'm just glad they didn't use the Ding Dong bell save on anyone.  Not that I liked all of them but that save feature is not good for a show that reveals who is insode the costume.  Everyone wants to know "who's that"?

I like Rita.  I hope she stays!

Joe Bastianich sang better than Robin, at least for a Billy Joel song.

I pretty much knew the back stories of all the chefs plus Tucci, so I knew they were all wrong guesses, since none worked on Wall Street.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1