Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E04: Auditions, Part 4

• Start Topic

I'm cynically inclined to believe that the whole thing with Alyssa Raghu was planned; but if not, she seemed to blindside the judges by asking them to put her through to Hollywood when they thought she was just showing off the growth in her voice.  I don't know if they still have rules about who can or can't appear again (aside from when they brought people back from the COVID at-home season); but if they do, she seemed to be banking that she could get the judges to back her to circumvent the rules.

Alyssa has a good voice, but she's already been to at least top 24 twice and top 8 once (and didn't have any sort of emergency that prevented her from competing or anything, she was just eliminated), so I agree with Katy that she wouldn't win which would seem to make it a pointless exercise.  Katy put her through to top 10 as a Wild Card in season 17 after she sang Katy's song, so it's not like she doesn't like her.  If anything, this episode might make Alyssa less popular than she was.

I don't mind too much when they are on the fence and put someone with an emotional backstory through, as they can always cut them more easily in Hollywood when there are many more contestants on the stage.  I don't mind them getting a free trip to Hollywood that I don't have to pay for.  I do wish that 95 percent of the audition episodes content weren't these stories though.  When one of the episodes was about to start, the ABC voiceover even called Idol "the most insipring show on TV."  Oh well.  Only one audition episode to go!

• Like 2

The Ragu 'scandal' aside, I have to say that I can't think of a single singer I've seen so far (FOUR auditions' worth) who I really look forward to seeing/hearing again. Quintavious was really good, but has AI ever had a season when there wasn't at least one really good church singer? Spoiler: they never win.

Also, I'd accept some of the contestant sob/back stories if TPTB would stop shoe-horning supposedly cute judge antics into the shows.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Also, I'd accept some of the contestant sob/back stories if TPTB would stop shoe-horning supposedly cute judge antics into the shows.

Katy is a beauty. Unfortunately she often dresses awful, her hair is unbecoming, her antics are beyond pale, and she has a love affair with the camera. Of course since she is paid so much more than Lionel and Luke she rightfully believes she is the star. This results in Katy NOT being pretty at all. “Beauty is as beauty does”. 

My advice to TPTB would be get 3 equal judges who work as a team. Not a Katy with two backups. Let the contestants be the focus. The judges are already stars. They don’t need AI to give them a start. 🙄

11 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The Ragu 'scandal' aside, I have to say that I can't think of a single singer I've seen so far (FOUR auditions' worth) who I really look forward to seeing/hearing again. Quintavious was really good, but has AI ever had a season when there wasn't at least one really good church singer? Spoiler: they never win.

It's especially hard to get invested when these seasons fly by so fast and we barely get much time to really get to know these contestants, the way we did in the past. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just a heartless bastard, but I wish we could just do the auditions without any of the sob stories. I just don't care about how much weight you've lost, how you're a single parent, how your father/mother/grandpa/meemaw died when you were young, how your dog got ran over, blah blah blah. None of that matters to me. I want to hear you sing, and if you sing well, I want to hear you sing again. I shouldn't have to force myself through a mini-episode of "A Million Little Things" to hear an audition.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2024 at 9:07 AM, JayDub1987 said:

Maybe I'm just a heartless bastard, but I wish we could just do the auditions without any of the sob stories.

You are not alone.  I miss all the crowds, crazy people and the really BAD singers.  I miss making fun of the bad singers and cheering on the good ones.  Now, all we get are the contestants the show picked and that is all we see, along with a polished back story.  

I hate watch this show because Mr. gaPeach likes the show with all its heart string pulling back stories.

• Like 2