Type keyword(s) to search

Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hulu 4-part doc series on the band Bon Jovi. The series premieres April 26

SYNOPSIS: "Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story" is a four-part, all access docuseries chronicling the epic past and uncertain future of one of the most recognizable bands in the world and its front-man Jon Bon Jovi. A 40-year odyssey of rock and roll idolatry on the precipice as a vocal injury threatens to bring everything to a screeching halt.

"Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story" joins the band in February 2022 and follows their real time journey with its fits and starts as they attempt to chart out their future.

Full press release http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2024/03/07/video-trailer-and-key-art-debut-hulu-original-thank-you-goodnight-the-bon-jovi-story-440112/20240307hulu01/

Trailer

• Like 2

I can't stinking wait for this to drop. Bon Jovi music legitimately changed my life. I was 12 when "It's My Life" dropped, and it was my first exposure to Bon Jovi. I took the money I made mowing lawns and went to our local record store and bought Slippery When Wet, heard "Wanted Dead or Alive" and asked for a guitar for Christmas. Some of the most important relationships in my life, including my marriage, are the result of me getting into playing music. 

Was never really into this band,  it seemed  like glorified bubblegum music in an era where we  heard actual rock ‘n’ roll. I thought I’d take a look at the doc and my God. This man is really full of himself isn’t he?

20 hours ago, chediavolo said:

This man is really full of himself isn’t he?

I see him more as being extremely confident in his abilities. He set his sights high, and not only did he achieve his goals, but he surpassed them...without being cocky.

I see him as a hard worker. Not only in his music career, but in family life and now with his vocal chord issues. I like that he refuses to give up, even under pressure. And if things don't work out, he's ready to accept that too. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I thought it was a really great series.  I'm an 80's girl, so I was there for the radio play, the MTV premiers and all the hair & glory.  

I appreciated how they kept the Richie exit fairly superficial and there wasn't a lot of blame, trash talking or accusations.  They all pretty much owned their parts and nobody came off looking like a villain or a saint. 

• Like 2

I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt in the 80’s so I’ve been on the ride the whole time. I thought this was a tad long, it could have been a bit shorter. At times I applauded his work ethic but at other times he kind of came off a bit douchey. I always thought he was the anti rock star rock star, I think not so much now. Like  they say “never meet your idols”.  I enjoyed this though, it was worth the watch.

I was in high school in the late 80s and Bon Jovi was my #1 hair band. Absolutely love(d) them. Thought this was well done, though also felt some of it could've been trimmed. I also think Richie might need another rehab stint. His speech patterns sometimes reminded me of Steven Adler. 

Thought it was a bit disingenuous of Jon to say he didn't smoke. I remember being thoroughly disappointed that he was smoking cigs on the Howard Stern show ages ago. Howard was chastising him, asking how he could do that when his voice was his moneymaker. I'm trying to date when it was - probably late 90s. 

I was never of much of a Bon Jovi fan after the hey days of the 80’s. This documentary, although a bit too long, was very well done. I wasn’t aware of how much they did over the later years.  I admire the determination and dedication Jon and his band members had and still have for their music. Bless them for still rocking into their 60’s. 

• Like 1

They marked out every decade of their 40 years together with a new sound, concept or just view on their lives.  As their initial fans grew older and matured, so did they and their music. 

Kinda like Madonna has always been rightfully credited with re-making herself to mesh into the current musical culture, while still retaining her "Madonna-ness".

It's a hard balance to achieve, but I think they all did an amazing job navigating the world and still keeping their sound.    

• Like 1

I was in high school in the 80’s and Richie Sambora was a major crush for me. I loved seeing all the behind the scenes footage and music videos. Brought me right back to being a teenager. It was nice that they all still seem to be on good terms and no one trash talked anyone. Jon came off as a bit of a control freak at times, but you don’t achieve that level of success without being really driven. Ordered a Richie Sambora CD. Looking forward to listening to his music.