Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Road to Nowhere

• Start Topic

248273e9-2e47-4dd5-8ac1-dec766a54120?bas

Beth and John return home from a trip upstate and attend Jen’s surprise birthday party, which turns out to be more surprising than expected. Beth reaches out to Ann during what may be the most pivotal time in Beth’s life.

Premiere Date: February 16, 2024   Hulu  

Kind of a meh season.  I think the show has real problems with tone.  Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a comedic sketch from Inside Amy Schumer, then things suddenly took a turn to high drama.  Don't get me wrong, the show has genuinely funny/sad moments, like the friend thinking she was walking into an intervention, it really being a surprise birthday party and the friend taking that as a catalyst to admit she has a problem.   

I also would have liked more development with Beth's sister.  She seems like an interesting character, and I wanted to see more.   

• Love 1

The doula was hilarious.  

I don't know if anyone watched Amy's HBO special about the pregnancy, but I think I might have got some more out of seeing that all unfold here than had I hadn't watched it. In the special though, John was way funnier. I'm also not a huge Cera fan to start with. 

I know the show isn't a comedy, but I'm not sure what the narrative direction was for the season. It was a lot. You do need some humor, and there was some, but it was sparse. And Amy is really good at mining comedy from uncomfortable situations too. The whole intervention/surprise party and the hospital scene are great examples. 

I actually enjoyed all the flashbacks. Both the young Beth and Ann were great start to finish. 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:22 AM, txhorns79 said:

I think the show has real problems with tone. 

That's kind of what I meant. I'm kind of reluctant to criticize because it's Amy's life, and her pregnancy was really, really hard. 

43 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I know the show isn't a comedy,

Okay, after you said that, I had to check. It’s in the “comedy” area here. IMDb has it tagged as comedy, dark comedy, and drama. I’ve stopped trying to decipher a lot of stuff!

Well, they can call it what they want, but we all watched the show. It's not a comedy. Only Murders in the Building is way more of a comedy than this. 

There's funny scenes, and I'd say this episode had more humor since probably the New Orleans episode.