Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Episode 11

• Start Topic

AAAABRHkDhZqh0_zV8b1OFqWEywBAOrJQW15SQgS

1998. Dexter's still adjusting to domestic life. On an evening in, he finds an old mixtape from Emma and calls her to chat about times gone by.

Premiere Date: February 8, 2024    Netflix 

I did enjoy the change up from episode 3 when Dex comes to visit Em while she is working food service and this time it is Em coming to visit Dex while he's making coffee and serving the masses.  She should have tipped him.  

I was so anxious as Dex kept drinking while watching Jazz.   I was so worried something was going to happen to her under his drunken watch.   Glad that wasn't in the cards. 

And it was obvious from the second Sylvie answered the phone that she was having an affair.  I wanted to hate her for it, but I don't think she ever truly got Dex anyways...his heart has always belonged to Emma as his true partner in life.  

Callum though.  Fuck you dude. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Yes, it’s been so long since I read the book, I was afraid to watch him with Jazz while he was drinking. Thank goodness they didn’t go there. I also knew immediately that Sylvie was with someone. And of course it was Callum! Ugh!

• Like 2

I did not see the Sylvie/Callum affair coming at all. Complete surprise, even when she was on the phone. Mainly because she has a small baby! And she's obviously struggling with the baby and with sleep deprivation. I can't imagine you'd be feeling sexy, or that sex would even be high on the priority list!

Dexter's career story is good and one you don't see very often on the screen. He coasted on his looks, charm, and parents' money when he was young, so now he's making minimum wage. You always see stories about people who made it big in tv or the movies. You rarely see the story of all the people who were briefly famous but it didn't work out. I'd normally assume that he would rediscover his early interest in photography, but have we even once seen him taking pictures on the show? Emma has been writing all along so that's more believable.

His career on TV appears to be over and he has no backup plan. And his marriage looks like it's already on life support. But the worst thing in this one for Dexter is the drinking. He's an alcoholic and he's still drinking. That makes it difficult/unlikely for him to address the other issues.

I thought Eleanor Tomlinson was really good (playing Sylvie) in this episode. I liked that even though Sylvie is cheating on Dexter, she's still really worried about him.

• Like 3
On 3/3/2024 at 5:00 AM, Kirsty said:

I did not see the Sylvie/Callum affair coming at all. Complete surprise, even when she was on the phone. Mainly because she has a small baby! And she's obviously struggling with the baby and with sleep deprivation. I can't imagine you'd be feeling sexy, or that sex would even be high on the priority list!

Dexter's career story is good and one you don't see very often on the screen. He coasted on his looks, charm, and parents' money when he was young, so now he's making minimum wage. You always see stories about people who made it big in tv or the movies. You rarely see the story of all the people who were briefly famous but it didn't work out. I'd normally assume that he would rediscover his early interest in photography, but have we even once seen him taking pictures on the show? Emma has been writing all along so that's more believable.

His career on TV appears to be over and he has no backup plan. And his marriage looks like it's already on life support. But the worst thing in this one for Dexter is the drinking. He's an alcoholic and he's still drinking. That makes it difficult/unlikely for him to address the other issues.

I thought Eleanor Tomlinson was really good (playing Sylvie) in this episode. I liked that even though Sylvie is cheating on Dexter, she's still really worried about him.

Yes, I had no idea she was with Callum. And I'm sure that jerk loved taking something away from Dexter. Seems like he's hated Dex for years--out of jealousy? Because Dexter was a bit of a jerk himself? Probably both. 

It saddens me to see Dexter's life take a downturn, but it's very realistic. 

And I loved the contrast to Tilly's family -- they're also exhausted and overwhelmed with their new baby, but they also love each other and work as a team. They still seemed somewhat happy. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 2/16/2024 at 4:28 AM, Jodithgrace said:

Yes, it’s been so long since I read the book, I was afraid to watch him with Jazz while he was drinking. Thank goodness they didn’t go there. I also knew immediately that Sylvie was with someone. And of course it was Callum! Ugh!

I couldn't actually watch it properly, just kept doing the little 10s skips until it was over and everyone survived.

Edited by rhiamon