Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: First Vacation

• Start Topic

810b59add1ca762a8a226a823b7d47abf617d1ff

In their New York townhouse, in the bedroom, on the snowy slopes: John and Jane always have fun. And today, they're off to the Italian Dolomites! Will John discover a new hobby? Will Jane make a new friend? Are the two of them starting to really care about each other? John and Jane, it's time for your FIRST VACATION! Remember, another failure will make the boss very unhappy!

Premiere Date: February 2, 2024    Prime Video  

14 hours ago, janie jones said:

I feel like the company wants to be able to blackmail rich people.

yeah the husband was willing to leave his wife to the kidnappers, that's good leverage to have on someone.

(edited)

Watching the scene where Jane finds out John is still in contact with his mom:

One: how chill is his mother? He tells her he’s married and she never gets on him to bring her home. She doesn’t think that’s weird for a son that close to his mother to just not be introduced to his new wife? How on earth did he explain that? lol.

Two: in the future it’s prob a jealously thing but I can see Jane’s side. She’s absolutely right, what they do is dangerous for them and for her. No one saying he should abandon her, what he should have done was never take on this kind of job. It was selfish of him. 

Three: I’m not here for John judging her for disappearing on her dad. Jane went too far with the molesting thing but the bottom line is he doesn’t know the why. 

Four: I like petty Jane. Sue me. lol.

Jane really does care about John to just go ahead and make sure his penis would be saved hahahahaha…I was like “noooo baby girl no” hahahaha

On first watch i was neutral about this episode but on rewatch, it’s actually super cute and really fun. Touches on everything that will be an issue in the future, they’re in their fun and sexy phase, and I just really love John and Jane. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Like 1

This episode compares John and Jane, a new couple, with the old couple they’re surveilling.

New couple is all lovey dovey, spooning while watching the other couple bicker about why they won’t sleep together in the same bed.

John and Jane have their first argument as a couple, him talking to his mother regularly, her cutting of her father, who didn’t molest her, completely off.

They individually show empathy for the husband and wife, while Jane threatened the third old German couple whom they pretended to befriend.

John can’t just let Gavol get killed while Jane says they have to walk away and let whatever is going to happen happen.  John kills several and she rescues him, nurses him back to health.  They share a funny moment.

So why does John at least care for some victims or potential victims but not others?  If the mission was to kill this other couple, would he feel greater remorse?  Did he gain empathy because he saw them bicker or when he got close to Gavol in order to hack her phone?

Are the writers building towards them having deep remorse about these missions or is it inconsistent writing?  Or have they not even examined these questions?

For instance Killing Eve did examine these questions.  Villainelle wore stylish outfits , was very smart and funny.  But they showed she was broken in some way, how she had no problem killing a lot of people and could even turn on those who got close to her.