Type keyword(s) to search

Palm Royale - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Premieres March 20, 2024 on Apple TV+

Palm Royale is an upcoming period comedy miniseries created by Abe Sylvia based on the novel Mr. & Mrs. American Pie by Juliet McDaniel.The series is set to premiere on March 20, 2024, with the first three episodes.

• Like 1

palm-royale.webp

Palm Royale is a 10 episode Comedy TV Series with the first 3 episodes being released on March 20, 2024 on Apple TV+. Before the name change, Palm Royale was called "Mrs. American Pie", because it is loosely based on a 2018 novel by Juliet McDaniel called "Mr. and Mrs. American Pie".

Palm Royale is set at swanky Palm Beach, Florida, extremely exclusive country club in 1969. Maxine Simmons is a true underdog trying to break into Palm Beach high society. Palm Royale asks the same questions that still baffle us today: "Who gets a seat at the table?" "How do you get a seat at the table?" "What will you sacrifice to get there?" "Palm Royale" is a testament to every outsider fighting for their chance at superficial greatness and to truly belong.

palm-royale-kristen-wiig.jpg

Kristen Wiig as Maxine Simmons, a poor woman who sneaks into the Palm Royale, where she is determined to secure herself a seat at America's most exclusive table: Palm Beach high society. Maxine attempts to cross that impermeable line between the haves and the have-nots. 

josh-lucas-palm-royale.jpg

Josh Lucas as Douglas, Maxine's husband, a Pilot 

Jordan Bridges as Perry Donahue, an entrepreneur and old schoolmate of Douglas' 

laura-dern-palm-royale.jpg

Laura Dern as Linda

Amber-Chardae-Robinson-palm-royale.jpg

Amber Chardae Robinson as Virginia, a feminist and Linda's business partner.

carol-burnett-palm-royale.jpg

Carol Burnett as Norma Dellacorte, the grande dame of Palm Beach high society, everyone is afraid of her because she has lots of secrets on them, but she also has secrets. She is in a coma, the result of a life-threatening embolism.

allison-janey-palm-royale.jpg

Allison Janney as Evelyn Rollins, a full-time Palm Beach resident and snooty high society member, the de facto ruler of the Palm Royale.

leslie-bibb-palm-royale.jpg

Leslie Bibb as Dinah Donahue, a lovely, but vulnerable member of the high society.

Claudia Ferri as Raquel, a Cuban ex-pat and member of the Palm Beach high society club.

palm-royale.jpg

Julia Duffy as Mary Jones Davidsoul

Jason Canela as Eddie, a tennis pro at the Palm Beach high society club

Mindy Cohn as Ann, an editor for the society column

kaia-gerber-palm-royale.jpg

Kaia Gerber as Mitzi, a local manicurist

ricky-martin-palm-royale.jpg

Ricky Martin as Robert

Rick Cosnett as Sergeant Tom Sanka.

Bruce Dern as Skeet

• Like 1

I'm liking it but you have to take it for what it is. Fluff. I saw the less-than-stellar reviews and am still watching it. I am curious about Maxine's marriage and why her husband seems to be on the outs with his wealthy aunt, and what kind of grift they agreed to. If she married him under false pretenses (a spoiler so not stating it here), why did he stay married to her? 

I can usually only take Kristen Wiig in small doses but she's actually acting the role here, unlike an overblown SNL character skit. 

Its silly soapy fun. I often like things reviewers don't, because I don't look for more in it than what's right there on the surface. 

Now somebody get me a grasshopper! 

• Like 2

I thought I would love this - the time period, the fashion and hair, the location, the actors...but it was oddly disappointing. I did not recognize Wiig at first.

Has anyone else had trouble streaming this? We get a dialog box from Apple (when viewing on our Apple TV) saying that it's not possible to stream at the current moment. Like, what I'd expect if Apple's server were completely overloaded because everybody in the known universe was trying to access the show at the same time.

(edited)

Like the characters on The Righteous Gemstones, none of these people are likeable!  But I’m rooting for Maxine! 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 1

I'm not really sure why I still watch this show. It's either because I love Allison Janney or I'm waiting to see if they're going to continue wasting the comedic genius of Carol Burnett. I used to like Kristen Wiig but now I'm not so sure. The only characters I like are Linda and Robert, and her idiot husband deserve every bad thing that has happened or will happen  to them. 

What the hell age is Maxine supposed to be, anyway? She's played by an almost 50-year-old woman yet the character behaves as in she's in her 20s or 30s,  but she and her husband have been together for 20 years? I don't understand why some people seem to like her, if nothing else she's robbing an invalid old woman blind.

I wonder what the ratings are for this show, wonder if they're good enough for it to have a second season

• Like 2
On 3/23/2024 at 3:41 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Has anyone else had trouble streaming this? We get a dialog box from Apple (when viewing on our Apple TV) saying that it's not possible to stream at the current moment. Like, what I'd expect if Apple's server were completely overloaded because everybody in the known universe was trying to access the show at the same time.

I had that problem this week with my Roku. I had to come back later to watch. 

I recently read Mr. & Mrs. America, the novel that Palm Royale is based on.  It's a fun read, a good beach/vacation book.  But it barely has anything in common with the show, other than a few character names, the time period, and some of Maxine's character traits.  I hate when that happens - when a book is optioned but so much is changed that it's not even the same story anymore.  I had read that Laura Dern optioned the novel, but her Palm Royale character and storyline are not in the novel at all!

• Like 1
On 4/12/2024 at 8:12 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I had that problem this week with my Roku. I had to come back later to watch. 

I'm another Apple TV'er who had the problem. Could it be that so many people wanted to watch it that we broke the internet?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm another Apple TV'er who had the problem. Could it be that so many people wanted to watch it that we broke the internet?

Yes, and it happened in subsequent weeks.  But I was able to watch on an iPad.  Who knows?

• Like 1

I loved this show, such a ridiculous ride. The clothes were to die for, exactly like high end versions of stuff I wore in the 60s (although I was a little kid). The prints and colours were bang on.

Kristin Wiig had that 60s look to her face and I can’t figure out what it is. The poufy hair? But it was her face too, even though she didn’t have heavy black eyeliner. Was it her nude or pale pink lips? Can’t figure out what made her look so accurate for the time period.

Looking forward to season 2.