Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Chapter 3: Troublesome

• Start Topic

(edited)

This show seems a little effortful... like it's trying very hard to be something and is almost there but there is a hum of exertion underneath. 

That said, I still enjoyed it well enough as a diversion. It's pretty (if trying a bit hard on that front) and several of the performances are engaging. The Interpol agent was fun. The character was a bit broad but it was well done.

Still mostly here for Mandy Patinkin and Rahul Kohli. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 2
On 1/24/2024 at 2:58 PM, RachelKM said:

Still mostly here for Mandy Patinkin and Rahul Kohli. 

Same. I like Sunil (is that the character's name?), but he's starting to look sus. 

The mystery still has me intrigued. What's going on with Jules? 

And the main family (supposed to be rich but not really rich) is full of dreadful people. It's like Succession, but none of these people are witty or smart. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I agree that Episode 3 was much better than the first two episodes.  I’m especially enjoying Lauren Patten as Anna - I was not familiar with her before.  In fact, I think almost all the actors are doing a great job except, unfortunately, the main character Imogene.  If she’s deliberately trying to be unlikable, she’s succeeding.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2024 at 10:53 AM, TomGirl said:

In fact, I think almost all the actors are doing a great job except, unfortunately, the main character Imogene.  If she’s deliberately trying to be unlikable, she’s succeeding.

I think that's exactly what the direction for this character is.  She's supposed to be the odd-man out, someone who really doesn't fit in with the group that she's with.  Imogene has spent her entire life as an outsider on the inside, she's been taken in and treated very well, but I suspect there are constant reminders that she's not really family. She is very guarded and doesn't let people in. 

So, yeah, I'm not a fan of Imogene.  But I think that's exactly what the show is going for. 

• Like 3
(edited)

On 2/5/2024 at 3:38 PM, chaifan said:

I think that's exactly what the direction for this character is.  She's supposed to be the odd-man out, someone who really doesn't fit in with the group that she's with.  Imogene has spent her entire life as an outsider on the inside, she's been taken in and treated very well, but I suspect there are constant reminders that she's not really family. She is very guarded and doesn't let people in. 

So, yeah, I'm not a fan of Imogene.  But I think that's exactly what the show is going for. 

I agree with your interpretation.  She was raised as part of this rich family after her mother died but the family has never stopped reminding her that she's not one of them.  She has a chip on her shoulder and has something to prove.  She's supposed to have a tough shell and that comes across as unlikeable.

Edited by blackwing