Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter 1: Rare

• Start Topic

1702882605_header.jpg

When a guest is murdered on a luxury ocean liner, Imogene Scott becomes the only suspect in an impossible crime. She didn’t do it. So, who did?

Premiere Date: January 16, 2024     Hulu  

“Pay Attention. Details matter.”

Well, it’s hard to pay attention and stay interested in a show where its 2 main characters (Imogene & Rufus) are not as delightful as I want them to be. No offence to the actors. I’ve lost count on the supporting characters, there are too many of them & they are quite forgettable.

What’s the purpose of Lauren Patten’s graphic topless scene? It’s unnecessary and adds nothing to the plot. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

I'm liking this.  It has a very "Knives Out" feeling for me, especially in the way they introduced all the characters in the beginning of the first episode.  I love Mandy Patinkin, but I'm really not familiar with the rest of the cast.  I like that it's set on a ship, so there is literally no where for the killer to go.  I like that there is tension between the two main characters who are more or less forced to act as a team.  And, for once, the child actor in the flashbacks doesn't totally annoy me.  I actually like her. 

On 1/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

What’s the purpose of Lauren Patten’s graphic topless scene? It’s unnecessary and adds nothing to the plot. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yep, I agree.  That was gratuitous.  Which is a shame, because without that scene this is a very PG show, and I think it would be good family watching for tweens on up.  But I certainly wouldn't want to be a teenager sitting in a room with my parents with that scene.  I do like that the wife is a total kook, though. 

I hope this forum gets more traction, as I think there will be a lot of fun things to discuss with this show.  I'm glad they are putting out the first three, then the episodes after that are one a week. 

• Like 2
On 1/16/2024 at 2:34 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

“Pay Attention. Details matter.”

Well, it’s hard to pay attention and stay interested in a show where its 2 main characters (Imogene & Rufus) are not as delightful as I want them to be. No offence to the actors. I’ve lost count on the supporting characters, there are too many of them & they are quite forgettable.

All of this. I watch many TV MA shows and I'm not a prude, but that felt jarring and added for shock value only. I don't need that much graphic sex in my murder mysteries especially in the first fifteen minutes where I don't even know the characters! It was also jarring to see the nasty brother being played by the guy who is Frasier's son Freddy in the Frasier reboot. Talk about opposite characters!

"Not delightful" is an understatement. Imogene is not likeable in any way. Maybe they are trying to model her on Mabel from Only Murders - cool girl with a sad past and tough as nails? But this gal is not Selena Gomez - I just don't like her at all. Hopefully this gets better because the concept is right up my alley....

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

"Not delightful" is an understatement. Imogene is not likeable in any way. Maybe they are trying to model her on Mabel from Only Murders - cool girl with a sad past and tough as nails? But this gal is not Selena Gomez.

In most reviews that I've read, Violett Beane is said to be delightful as Imogene Scott. Weird huh.

Unlike Imogene, Mabel Mora is equipped with memorable, witty lines and Selena's deadpan expressions are (sometimes) funny. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

In most reviews that I've read, Violett Beane is said to be delightful as Imogene Scott. Weird huh.

Unlike Imogene, Mabel Mora is equipped with memorable, witty lines and Selena's deadpan expressions are (sometimes) funny. 

I'm giving adult Imogene some grace because I enjoyed the child actor's portrayal of her very much. 

I think I must watch much more explicit or shocking shows than all y'all.   I didn't think the nudity or sex scene was gratuitous or jarring.   Seemed pretty vanilla to me.  

I only started watching this and will probably keeping watching this because of my decades long love of Mandy Patinkin.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I've been getting notifications for this, as well as two other shows, although I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know how I can stop receiving notifications for shows I don't watch? I did look to see if I inadvertently checked "follow", but I didn't.

17 hours ago, shelley1234 said:

I think I must watch much more explicit or shocking shows than all y'all.   I didn't think the nudity or sex scene was gratuitous or jarring.   Seemed pretty vanilla to me.  

It was pretty vanilla, but I think it was also gratuitous, in the sense that it was there simply to have a sex scene.  They're not mutually exclusive.  My only issue with it was that other than this scene, this show was very PG.  It's like when movies will purposely throw in a nude or sex scene just to get the R rating.