Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: What if… The Avengers Assembled in 1602?

• Start Topic

When Captain Carter is transported to an Elizabethan-era locale that's populated by modern day MCU figures, she'll have to uncover the cause of the temporal anomaly that's mysteriously stranded so many familiar heroes and villains in the year 1602.

Dropping Friday, December 29, 2023.

You know, instead of turning this into The Peggy Carter Show and giving the writers an excuse to pander to the Steggy shippers, how about letting other characters shine? They had a perfect opportunity to let Sam be one of Steve’s Merry Men, and instead they just leave him out? Ugh.

Then again, he hasn’t been featured in any episode since Zombies, and that makes it worse.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

You know, instead of turning this into The Peggy Carter Show and giving the writers an excuse to pander to the Steggy shippers, how about letting other characters shine? They had a perfect opportunity to let Sam be one of Steve’s Merry Men, and instead they just leave him out? Ugh.

Then again, he hasn’t been featured in any episode since Zombies, and that makes it worse.

I was disappointed there was hardly any Wanda in this.  Toward the end, I was hoping we'd learn she was the Forerunner and escaped to 1602 because she felt too much pain in her previous reality.

• Like 3

I was not a fan of the first season of What If? but am enjoying this season immensely. This was, hands down, my favorite episode.  But all the episodes top everything done by Marvel or that is Marvel adjacent this year except for Loki Season 2 and Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse. (Maybe, I will tie it with the last Guardians movie because of my love of Rocket and Nebula--only. But to each their own.)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I was disappointed there was hardly any Wanda in this.  Toward the end, I was hoping we'd learn she was the Forerunner and escaped to 1602 because she felt too much pain in her previous reality.

That would have been way better instead of making it yet ANOTHER alternate Steve. I really am getting sick of the Steggy shenanigans—they got their stupid happy ending in Endgame, why not give us a universe with Wanda and Vidion being happy instead?! 

• Like 2

I'm choosing to believe that Loki being a Shakespeare fanboy and annoying everyone to death with his hype/trivia, is loosely based on Tom Hiddleston himself, because I can definitely see him being like that in real life!

The 1602 setting/period was fun and I enjoyed Steve forming his own version of the Merry Men in this universe, but I agree that it was odd that Sam wasn't part of it.  Was there even an attempt to have him on this season?  Even if Anthony Mackie was busy, it's not like they are afraid of having other actors play these characters.

I know this was created long before The Marvels came out, but it's a little odd that we haven seen Carol or even Kamala this go around.  I imagine Iman Vellani would have been thrilled to participate on this show.

Even in animated form, Paul Rudd knows how to brighten up the screen!

I guess we'll see what Doctor Strange is planning come finale time.

• Like 2

I enjoyed S1, but I think this episode exemplifies why I think that S2 was better. It's like everyone involved realized how much fun they could have with the concept. So we have stuff like everyone on both sides trying not to anger Happy "Hulk" Hogan, Yellow Jackets instead of Red Coats, Rogers Hood, and Shakespeare nerd Loki (and of course he loves Iago).

• Like 2

So I was really looking forward to this one, I am a really big fan of the comic Marvel 1602, and while I did have fun watching it, it really wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I wanted them to do more with the time period besides have MCU characters wear funny costumes and having them throw in a thee and a thou every once in awhile. My favorite parts were the parts when they were having the most fun with the characters and the period, like Loki as a spoiled actor, Wanda as the court magician, and the way they used the shrinking technology.

We have Steve form this own Merry Men without Sam? Really? 

I have to say though, I think my biggest issue with the episode was they went WAY over the top in their Captain Carter worship. I like Peggy a lot too, but the Watcher was going on about her like she was the dang second coming, the greatest superhero to every hero, it all felt so over the top. Its clear that she is the writers favorite character hence why she shows up so much (and it looks like she's going to be the star of the finale) despite the MCU having so many underused characters and aspects. Even with this cool idea for an AU its still the Peggy show. 

• Like 1