Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Tiger

Bort
  • Start Topic

Couple of nagging questions here:

1. How does one just "have someone committed" against their will? Aren't there strict rules/laws on how this works?

2. What is Roy's plan with this "get Dot/Nadine back" thing? It's not like there's a bounty out for her, and she's not actually anyone's property. He hasn't been shy about letting everyone know what he's doing, but I guess he's not too concerned with the law other than his own.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cmfran said:

Couple of nagging questions here:

1. How does one just "have someone committed" against their will? Aren't there strict rules/laws on how this works?

2. What is Roy's plan with this "get Dot/Nadine back" thing? It's not like there's a bounty out for her, and she's not actually anyone's property. He hasn't been shy about letting everyone know what he's doing, but I guess he's not too concerned with the law other than his own.

And by the way, people aren’t automatically declared dead after seven years. One has to petition the court for a declaration and isn’t just granted willy nilly.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cmfran said:

I think in this case Lorraine has so much pull that she can get people to do whatever she wants. Plus, Dot HAS been behaving weirdly, saying unbelievable things, denying that anything horrible has happened to her or her house.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Gobi said:

And by the way, people aren’t automatically declared dead after seven years. One has to petition the court for a declaration and isn’t just granted willy nilly.

Roy remarried, which he wouldn’t have been able to do without some sort of court action that dissolved his marriage, either by declaring her dead or divorcing in absentia. Either way, Lorraine’s point stands, he has no legal claim on Dot. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, DMK said:

Roy remarried, which he wouldn’t have been able to do without some sort of court action that dissolved his marriage, either by declaring her dead or divorcing in absentia. Either way, Lorraine’s point stands, he has no legal claim on Dot. 

I was referring to Lorraine telling Roy that Dot is presumed legally dead because she’s been missing for seven years, which seemed to take him aback. I would not be surprised if Roy had his own “marriage” ceremony and it wasn’t legal.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I would not be surprised if Roy had his own “marriage” ceremony and it wasn’t legal.

Some libertarians think that marriage is a matter for two spouses and, if they're so inclined, their Creator. They don't want the law involved.

I think Roy actually wants Dot back as his wife. That could complicate things a bit with Odin's daughter.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m sorry but I just really don’t like Dot. I should be rooting for her, but gaslighting Wayne and behaving like a sociopath has put a serious dent in my sympathy. Plus her voice is every bit as annoying as Marge Simpson’s.

The characters are always majorly flawed. It’s a black comedy. We’re not necessarily supposed to be rooting for them, just going along for the ride. I also don’t think Dot is gaslighting Wayne. I thought she was saying as little as possible for his and Scotty’s safety.  

• Like 5
On 12/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m sorry but I just really don’t like Dot. I should be rooting for her, but gaslighting Wayne and behaving like a sociopath has put a serious dent in my sympathy. Plus her voice is every bit as annoying as Marge Simpson’s.

I’m loving Dot… crazy girl. 😁 I’m hoping she is the one that ultimately takes Roy down. 

• Like 5
On 12/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, steph369 said:

I thought she was saying as little as possible for his and Scotty’s safety.  

I think that's part of it, but also in the first episode a couple times she said "you told your mother?" about the arrest and I think about another thing too. Maybe she's too worried Wayne will tell his mother who she definitely doesn't trust.

• Like 1