Type keyword(s) to search

Furiosa (2024)

Anduin
  • Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Trini said:

Did they... put prosthethics on Helmsworth? His nose is different, I think?

Yep!

Having watched it a couple more times, I'm in. Okay, I was in the moment it was announced. But now more than ever.

And could a mod please fix the title? It should be Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.

I tried arranging my travel around it, but I'm going to be flying home that day. Typical, the number one movie I want to see this year, it happens right at the most inconvenient moment. A week either way, it'd be fine. Hopefully I'll recover from jet lag quickly and see it in the following days, and I intend to stay mostly offline until I've seen it.

Hey, you know something odd? Fallout, Planet of the Apes, Furiosa. That's a lot of post-apocalyptic content within two months.

(edited)

Empire’s World-Exclusive Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga Covers Revealed
By Ben Travis   March 7, 2024
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-world-exclusive-furiosa-a-mad-max-saga-covers-revealed/

Furiosa Tells A 15 Year Story In The Mad Max World: ‘It’s An Odyssey, No Question’ – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis   March 7, 2024
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/furiosa-mad-max-saga-15-year-story-odyssey-anya-taylor-joy-exclusive/

Miller’s long-awaited prequel sees Anya Taylor-Joy take over the role originated by Charlize Theron in Fury Road. And there’s good reason for that – not only is it does it delve into the character’s history, but it takes place over a significant swathe of her life. “The story is the saga of Furiosa, and how she gets taken from home, and spends the rest of her life trying to get back,” Miller tells Empire, in our world-exclusive Furiosa cover feature. “[In] Fury Road, the story unfolds over three days and two nights. This film follows the story that runs directly into Fury Road, for 15 years.” Even for long-time Mad Max fans, it’s going to be a unique and unexpected ride. “It’s a different animal,” explains Miller. “It’s got many different locations. It’s an odyssey. No question.”
As with Fury Road, Furiosa will pitch her into a world of warring men – not just the returning Immortan Joe, but Chris Hemsworth’s warlord Dementus, and Tom Burke’s War Rig driver Praetorian Jack. And while this is Furiosa’s story through and through, it’s still a ‘Mad Max Saga’ – not necessarily precluding some kind of appearance from the man himself. “I won’t give away too much about that,” teases Miller. “All I’ll say is, Max is lurking there in the background.” Who’s ready to get all shiny and chrome?

anya-header.png

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

That hunch would be absolutely correct. “He’s a pretty horrible individual,” Hemsworth tells Empire in the world-exclusive Furiosa issue. But like all the best baddies, he doesn’t necessarily think of himself that way. “Through the whole film we kept coming back to, ‘This is evil, but what is the intention behind it?’ It’s not just sadistic insanity. There is a real purpose, the wheels are turning, he’s plotting and planning and ten steps ahead of everyone else.” Amid the harshness of the Wasteland, he even imagines himself as something of a father figure to Furiosa, here played by Anya Taylor-Joy. “I think that’s how he sees himself,” says Hemsworth. “I think there’s a paternal quality and nature to the relationship in his eyes. [Furiosa] would, I’m sure, argue to her death the complete opposite.”

A guy named Dementus in the Mad Max world demands a suitably ludicrous set of wheels – and on that front, filmmaker George Miller was happy to oblige. “The chariot bike is the wildest piece of machinery I’ve ever driven, and I loved every second of it,” Hemsworth raves, teasing more gigantic revved-up action this time around. “I mean, hanging off a crane at one point and being loaded onto a monster truck, and then on the monster truck someone unclips me off a harness and the truck spins away into a burnout. How this world comes from one of the kindest individuals, I’ll never know…” It’s like they say: you don’t have to be as mad as Max to work here – but it helps.

Edited by tv echo
5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Love the use of the guitar riff from Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World".

How the hell is Miller putting this stuff out at his age?

Because he's awesome, that's why! He might be the greatest Australian ever. Anyway, it looks promising. I'll have more thoughts later.

• Like 1

Okay, a few more thoughts. We see a dark haired woman with a rifle. She's probably Mary Gervassa, Furiosa's mother. I wonder if it's the SKS from Fury Road. Similarly, a double-barreled shotgun. That's a familiar weapon in Mad Max. Always nice to see old friends returning. :)

Chris Hemsworth is playing Dementus. That character is mentioned in the game. For some reason, I always imagined he looked like Dr Mindbender from GI Joe. Bald, mustache, monocle. I'm not even a big fan of GI Joe, but that's what sprang to mind.

Side note, the game is all right. Wait for the sale.

I just saw the trailer for this at the cinema tonight, and my overriding feeling was, 'none of these effects look practical.' After how amazing Fury Road looked because of all the practical effects and stunts, seeing so much that looked completely computer generated was very disappointing.

I'd still be way more interested in seeing The Further Adventures of Furiosa, starring Charlize Theron, than this young version.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

After how amazing Fury Road looked because of all the practical effects and stunts, seeing so much that looked completely computer generated was very disappointing.

Yes, actually stunts are much more exciting than CHI.  On the other hand there have been deaths in previous Mad Max production, I believe.  No movie is worth anyone's life.

(edited)

George Miller to be Honored at CinemaCon With International Career Achievement Award
News of the honor comes ahead of the Australian filmmaker's new movie, 'Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.'
BY CHRIS GARDNER   APRIL 2, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/george-miller-furiosa-award-cinemacon-1235864386/ 

CinemaCon announced Tuesday morning that the Australian filmmaker has been selected to receive an international career achievement in filmmaking award during the annual convention put on by the National Association of Theatre Owners. Miller will be presented with the prize during a lunch ceremony at Caesars Palace on April 8.
Warner Bros. Pictures will release Furiosa on May 24, following the film’s world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival. Starring Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth, Furiosa finds Miller returning to the dystopian world he created more than 30 years ago. It follows a young Furiosa after she’s snatched from the Green Place of Many Mothers and falls into the hands of the great Biker Horde led by the Warlord of Dementus. Furiosa must withstand many trials as she puts together the means to find her way home.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

CINEMACON 2024: DAY 1 - WB SHOWCASES JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX, FURIOSA, AND MORE
by Anthony Alicea | April 9, 2024 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/cinemacon-2024/

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

CinemaCon_2024_Furiosa.jpg

The first film to get the big splashy treatment was Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, which opens in theaters on May 24, 2024. Stars Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth appeared alongside director George Miller to talk about their experiences making the film, which takes place over the course of 16-18 years before the events of Mad Max: Fury Road. Taylor-Joy expressed that she was more excited for this movie to be seen on a big screen than any of her previous projects, while Miller gushed over his two leads, talking about their transformative work. The trio concluded the presentation with an extended sneak peek of the film, broken into three chapters, that depicts the defining moments of Furiosa’s journey.

Warner Bros. 2024 CinemaCon Panel Live Blog
By Sean O'Connell   April 9, 2024
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/live/warner-bros-2024-cinemacon-panel-live-blog 

George Miller says that Furiosa will cover 16 to 18 years of back story for the character, and the world. He says he just finished the movie last week. 
Chris Hemsworth talks about his character, saying he needs to be twisted and demented, but because he's also a leader, he needed to have some charm, some wit, and some charisma. 
Miller, complimenting his actors, talks about spending a year in the cutting room, and now being so blown away at how different Anya Taylor Joy and Chris Hemsworth are from their characters. Hemsworth also talks about how, growing up in Australia with the Mad Max movies, Miller was "a God-like figure" to his family, and working with him was surreal. 
Miller shows the audience an extended preview. It was broken into three chapters, and showed off a slew of footage. The sections are:

I. Her Odyssey Begins

This segment spent time with young Furiosa, who eventually is abducted from The Green Place. We learn about her relationship with her mother, and the erason why Hemsworth's character takes young Furiosa. Our lead character is repeatedly told to "Protect the Green Place." And her mother instructs her, "Whatever you have to do ... promise me you'll find your way home." 

Section two of the footage was called: 

II. A Warrior Awakens

This looks to be the evolution of Furiosa as a road warrior (pun intended) Anya Taylor-Joy takes over the role here, and we see her mentorship in the wastelands. She screams, "My mother. My childhood. I want them back."

Finally, the third act becomes:

III. Ride Into Vengeance

It looks beyond badass.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Mad Max prequel Furiosa has a 15-minute action sequence that took 200 stunt people 78 days to shoot – and it's "very important" for understanding Anya Taylor-Joy's character
By Emily Garbutt, Jordan Farley   April 19, 2024
https://www.gamesradar.com/furiosa-anya-taylor-joy-15-minute-action-sequence-interview/ 

Furiosa's Chris Hemsworth journaled as Mad Max villain Dementus to help get him into character
By Amy West, Jordan Farley  April 19, 2024
https://www.gamesradar.com/furiosa-a-mad-max-saga-chris-hemsworth-interview-total-film/ 

Mad Max prequel Furiosa was originally developed as an anime spin-off, and has been ready for 15 years
By Bradley Russell, Jordan Farley   April 20, 2024
https://www.gamesradar.com/furiosa-anime-story-ready-15-years/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga World Premiere at the 77th Festival de Cannes
OFFICIAL SELECTION   published on 21.03.2024
https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/press/press-releases/furiosa-a-mad-max-saga-world-premiere-at-the-77th-festival-de-cannes/ 

Nine years after Mad Max: Fury Road, the Australian director, screenwriter and producer George Miller’s famous saga’s is back on the Croisette! The highly anticipated Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga will be revealed in the presence of the director and the cast, led by Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Burke, on the occasion of an Out of Competition gala screening at the Grand Théâtre Lumière at the Palais des Festivals on Wednesday May 15.
The 77th Festival de Cannes will take place from Tuesday May 14 to Saturday May 25, 2024. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Furiosa’ First Reactions Praise ‘Fury Road’ Prequel as ‘Really F—ing Good’ and ‘Powerhouse Action Filmmaking at Its Absolute Best’
By Zack Sharf   May 6, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/furiosa-first-reactions-mad-max-fury-road-action-classic-1235993908/ 

The first reactions for George Miller’s “Furiosa” have trickled in on social media ahead of the movie’s world premiere later this month at the Cannes Film Festival, and it appears the “Mad Max: Fury Road” director has another amazing action epic on his hands.

“Brings me great joy to report that ‘Furiosa’ is really, really fucking good,” IndieWire film critic David Ehrlich wrote on X. “Operates in an extremely different gear than ‘Fury Road’ (in ways that i suspect will frustrate some people), but also manages to make that movie even richer while carving its own legend in the wasteland.”

Entertainment writer and New York Film Critics Circle member Esther Zuckerman called the film “great,” while Fandango’s Erik Davis called the movie “powerhouse action filmmaking at its absolute best.”

“A ferocious & relentlessly paced epic that expands the story of Furiosa and the Wasteland while delivering the craziest chases, the most bombastic characters & just plain stunning cinematography,” Davis posted. “Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth equally dive all the way into the Wasteland, and both deliver some incredible stuff. There’s one War Rig sequence that blew my mind – an instant classic. I love the ‘Mad Max’ movies and I loved this film. Start your engines!”
Journalist Simon Thompson added in his reaction: “Jesus George Miller! ‘Furiosa’ engulfs you. At times it almost seems to exceed the canvas of the IMAX format it is THAT big – and yet at times has a deeply affecting intimacy. Echoing cinematic elements from the 50s through the 80s, it’s a rich, smart vision the cast revels in.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Furiosa had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival yesterday - here's video of the red carpet...

FURIOSA A MAD MAX SAGA – Red Carpet – English – Cannes 2024
Festival de Cannes   May 15, 2024

‘Furiosa’ Gets Nearly 8-Minute Standing Ovation After Its Cannes World Premiere
By Nancy Tartaglione, Anthony D'Alessandro, Baz Bamigboye   May 15, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/05/furiosa-reactions-world-premiere-ovation-cannes-1235916996/ 

George Miller’s Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, the anticipated latest installment in his apocalyptic franchise, had its world premiere here at the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday.

The film received a standing ovation of 7 minutes and 50 seconds after the final frame played in Cannes’ massive Palais, which hosted the buzzy premiere and the cast that included Anya Taylor-Joy, who plays the titular character first essayed by Charlize Theron in Mad Max: Fury Road; Chris Hemsworth; and Tom Burke.

Baz Lurhmann, who was at Cannes two years ago with Elvis, was overheard as he exited the theater tonight calling the film “a steampunk, Wagnerian opera.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This movie looks so good!  But I've never understood releasing trailers that appear to give away the entire movie.

Edited by tv echo

FURIOSA : A MAD MAX SAGA | Becoming Furiosa Featurette
Warner Bros. Pictures   May 21, 2024

Anya Taylor-Joy & Chris Hemsworth Recap Every 'Mad Max' Movie, From 'Mad Max' to 'Furiosa'
Entertainment Weekly   May 21, 2024

I shouldn't compare it to MAD MAX: FURY ROAD but it's hard not to. FURIOSA isn't bad at all, but compared to FURY ROAD it is lacking. Yes, there is a deeper story with this one and I appreciate that, but FURY ROAD came out the gate full throttle  - bashing you in the face with action and it was glorious, and this lacks the thrilling set pieces that FURY ROAD had.

Spoiler

Very bold to have clips from FURY ROAD playing in the end credits to show that the events of the ending of FURIOSA dovetails straight into FURY ROAD. Just seeing how wild those scenes are compared to FURIOSA just makes it so glaring how inferior FURIOSA is in comparison.

• Like 2

Just got back from the cinema! Due to travel, this was the first day I could go. Ultimately, I think it's very good, it just didn't blow me away. It just feels a little lacking.

Like, why did Joe let her be an imperator instead of chucking her back in the harem? Sure she's amazing, but it would have been an interesting conversation to see.

From the end of Fury Road, you'd think she hated him. From what I could see, he actually respected her and treated her decently.

Did she ever go to the green place again before Fury Road? My feeling is she memorised the star pattern on her arm so she knew the way.

And much of the dialogue was drowned out by the vehicles and such. If you can't hear it, what's the point of having it? I look forward to watching the movie with captions on.

All that said, of course I'm going to go back and see it again.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2024 at 3:57 AM, Anduin said:

Ultimately, I think it's very good, it just didn't blow me away. It just feels a little lacking.

I felt the same way for different reasons.  Furiosa is a quiet, competent, admirable character (in both films), but that type of character gets drowned out here compared to the noise and bluster of Dementus. 

Furthermore, she adopts muteness and tries to be invisible to protect herself from sexual violence, which makes sense in terms of character and plot but also renders her quiet and practically invisible even to the audience much of the time.

I think the actress did a wonderful job acting while speaking very little, and I think the movie successfully conveyed Furiosa's backstory and motivations.  However, even with super-skills as a driver, a vehicle mechanic, a sniper, and a machinist who can build her own prosthetic arm, ultimately she's one woman in a world (and movie) full of men. 

I really hated to see Furiosa get lost in her own film. 

• Like 1

I saw it a second time and liked it more! I was able to concentrate on the story and sort of relax. Good stuff.

No real revelations about the story, but I think I saw Nux. When Dementus challenges Joe, one of his people picks out a random warboy on a bridge. We see several, including one with a pair of suspicious bumps on his neck/shoulder area.

Anyway, I hope I have a chance to see it next week too.