Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Red Light, Green Light

• Start Topic

I appreciate the folks that did a stunt dead fall.

Girl, I wondered why you squatted too but don't just give up.  Lame. 

I smiled when the mother and son team were reunited. Damn it;  I'm lame.

259 contestants gone in the 1st round (over half), good start.

I know diary rooms are a staple of reality TV but I sorta wish they has skipped it for this show.  I think it would be fun to feel like I'm playing along by letting me see their actions and what they say to fellow competitors without knowing what they're actually thinking.  

I'd hoped these "character" tests would be human-nature tests and not just get-some-cards-in-a-hat tests.  Turns out there's no test at all, just two people chosen at random.  They have to agree on whether to give an advantage to someone else or eliminate someone.  It's supposed to be anonymous but you know the old saying... two can keep a secret when one of the is dead. I also wish we didn't know who was chosen, more of letting me play along.

That food looks gross but 161 seemed to enjoy it.  

101 has no chill.

Awesome!  Rule breaking will result in elimination. I bet the next 4 will come to a decision.

20 hours ago, CuriousParker said:

I'd hoped these "character" tests would be human-nature tests and not just get-some-cards-in-a-hat tests.  Turns out there's no test at all, just two people chosen at random.  They have to agree on whether to give an advantage to someone else or eliminate someone. 

I thought that was definitely a character test. 

3 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I thought that was definitely a character test. 

Yeah, I see your point.  I just thought there would be a test to get the privilege of choosing to eliminate\help.

Kentucky guy was a terrible actor when it was announced.  And he tipped his hat in what he said to long hair/long beard guy (yes, I forgot both their names and numbers). 

I did enjoy the one guy getting shot while talking through what he was thinking.  Stop thinking about others and don't move!

I expected them to not serve carrots just so the two who worked in the kitchen were suspected of lying. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 1:52 AM, CuriousParker said:

That food looks gross but 161 seemed to enjoy it.  

101 has no chill.

Awesome!  Rule breaking will result in elimination. I bet the next 4 will come to a decision.

I guess getting one serving of food is not a rule 🤷🏻‍♀️

I expected them to be short one tray since 161 got two

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I guess getting one serving of food is not a rule 🤷🏻‍♀️

I expected them to be short one tray since 161 got two

I expected some drama over someone not getting food. Did they get to the end, not have one, and someone said, "NBD. I wasn't hungry"? Or did they really pack an extra?    

6 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I expected some drama over someone not getting food. Did they get to the end, not have one, and someone said, "NBD. I wasn't hungry"? Or did they really pack an extra?    

I was too but I just figured they had to feed them so it wasn't a big deal.

This is interesting but maybe over produced. I can't help but think about production and the camera crews we aren't seeing, especially in the dorm. I don't buy that there were competent enough sharp shooters to actually eliminate people from the Red Light Green Light game from hidden locations. I think a crew of people with paint guns were radioed who to shoot and had to step in among the crowd, there's just no way to hit them from paint balls that accurately from far away without being seen.

The terror of this game in the original show was the realization they were being shot and the chaos that ensued. That part was absent so the stakes just weren't there, and the players falling down acting like they'd been killed felt theatrical.

1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I think a crew of people with paint guns were radioed who to shoot and had to step in among the crowd, there's just no way to hit them from paint balls that accurately from far away without being seen.

There are no external shooters.  All the contestants have explosive ink packs attached to their chest underneath their tracksuits.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I don't buy that there were competent enough sharp shooters to actually eliminate people from the Red Light Green Light game from hidden locations.

This article explains how it was done: 

https://ew.com/how-squid-game-the-challenge-created-red-light-green-light-game-8405707

Also, it seems some contestants are suing for “inhumane conditions” they endured, mainly during the filming of the RL/GL game:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/squid-game-the-challenge-lawsuit-injuries-1235676557/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, this is what I mean by "over produced." Per the article:

"While the show makes it seem as if the entire contest lasted just five minutes, the sequence was actually shot over the course of several hours during freezing winter conditions (one report claimed temperatures dropped to 27 degrees Fahrenheit). “It was like a warzone,” one contestant was quoted as saying. “People were getting carried out by medics, but we couldn’t say anything. If you talk, then you’re out.”"

It was sort of fun and interesting to watch but the whole time I was aware that it was being produced, edited, there were camera crews, production people, etc. There were just too many people for cameras to get convenient close-ups of the players who were "shot." I knew they must have had to stand there for a long time while the cameramen worked their way through the throngs to get those shots.