Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E17: Alexandra Pelosi, Paul Begala, Bret Stephens

• Start Topic

Yeah and for New Rules, Bill doubled down on "don't send kids to college, and not to elite universities" because he doesn't like their politics.

Those must be the audiences who tend to groan the most at his stupid jokes.

OK Cornell alum, whatever.

It's as if he thinks the "best and brightest" students would be so easily influenced by college professors.

Of course the pro Palestinian protests is influencing his dim view of college students but he conveniently ignores the two decades of Israeli repressive policies, particularly enabling settlers who go around lynching Palestinians and taking their land.

A lot of people who have condemned the Hamas attacks also point out the horrible Israeli politics and policies of the Netanyahu governments for the past 20 years or so, essentially the same period since they partitioned Gaza, choking it economically.

That didn't have anything to do with Hamas gaining support there from a beaten down population.

• Like 3

Except to say that I'm glad that howling buffoon in the audience in Episode 16 wasn't in the audience for this one, I think it's too fine a line to discuss this episode (and the last) without delving into highly political issues that might breach forum rules.

Unless simply an oversight, I expect the reason a topic for this episode (17) wasn't created - and no topic created for episode 16 - is because of the chance for highly charged political debate - all extremely difficult to skirt for this show in general, but for these episodes in particular. Therefore, I won't respond to the post above except to state that there's a lot to be said on both sides, that I vigorously disagree with some things stated - and leave it at that.

And if this post is a breach of some forum rules - please just remove it.  It's not intentional.

• Like 1

I have been creating topics until recently. Real life has put Real Time at the bottom of my list of priorities. (I am not the Real Time mod.)

Technically any user can create an episode topic, though if someone does it here please pay attention to the existing format.  Also, while anything discussed on the episodes can be mentioned here, all the Primetimer forum rules still apply. So tread carefully with political topics - digressing into personal politics is still not allowed. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Bill complained about “liberal left woke” colleges but then gives examples of extreme right wing politicians that went to them.  Yeah that computes.  

That's right, everyone on that list of Ivy league alums were Republicans.

Yet he was complaining about Harvard indoctrination or some such nonsense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, realityplease said:

Except to say that I'm glad that howling buffoon in the audience in Episode 16 wasn't in the audience for this one, I think it's too fine a line to discuss this episode (and the last) without delving into highly political issues that might breach forum rules.

Unless simply an oversight, I expect the reason a topic for this episode (17) wasn't created - and no topic created for episode 16 - is because of the chance for highly charged political debate - all extremely difficult to skirt for this show in general, but for these episodes in particular. Therefore, I won't respond to the post above except to state that there's a lot to be said on both sides, that I vigorously disagree with some things stated - and leave it at that.

And if this post is a breach of some forum rules - please just remove it.  It's not intentional.

I’ll create it, I think Tristan Harris is amazing.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, realityplease said:

Unless simply an oversight, I expect the reason a topic for this episode (17) wasn't created - and no topic created for episode 16 - is because of the chance for highly charged political debate - all extremely difficult to skirt for this show in general, but for these episodes in particular.

I'm sure the reason why a thread wasn't created was extreme indifference.  Bill has driven away liberal watchers, except for the handful here (like myself) who continue to watch, read and post.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
5 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Pelosi is so scared to get canceled.. that’s funny to me, she’s afraid of people disliking her?

Her elderly father was assaulted after a home invasion by some partisan nut.

An incident she alluded to on this episode.

So if she is scared, she may have some valid reasons.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, aghst said:

Her elderly father was assaulted after a home invasion by some partisan nut.

An incident she alluded to on this episode.

So if she is scared, she may have some valid reasons.

Yeah and like Bill said, I get that.  She specifically said “canceled” as well as fear for her safety.  She repeated it on overtime.  Who is she afraid of? Who is going to cancel her?

There are nuts who will take it way further than canceling a person.

She's not dependent on right-wing media.  Her work appears elsewhere.

She's rich either way, so she doesn't depend on her work for financial security.

So no it's about personal safety, safety of her parents and other family.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Yeah and like Bill said, I get that.  She specifically said “canceled” as well as fear for her safety.  She repeated it on overtime.  Who is she afraid of? Who is going to cancel her?

Seems like "This will get me cancelled" is usually just code for "people are too sensitive about social justice stuff." People don't use that term to describe stuff like shutting down or banning LGBT-stuff, for instance, even if it's literally getting something cancelled. I can't remember the last time it meant anything else.

• Like 1