Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: For when your neck pain is a pain in the neck

• Start Topic

On 10/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, PRgal said:

I don't know if this qualifies as health or general peeve - or even mental health, but as you probably know, I'm super-sick and tired of the anti-diet philosophy because my eating more healthfully than the so-called "general public" and my distaste of anything super-sweet (especially fake sweet) is interpreted as me being "on a diet."  In other words, trying to lose weight.  Comments like "you don't need to lose weight, so why aren't you having any fun?"  Different people have different ideas of what "fun" means.  I didn't grow up this way, so I don't want to eat this way.  I like pumpkin, but not PSLs of any kind.  I used to make myself drink a very modified PSL once a year (one pump of syrup, no whip...and the smallest size possible - a short), just to get into the spirit of things, but was grossed out every time.  I've now decided to just get the pumpkin seasoning.  Much better, thank you very much.  It really angers me and makes me uncomfortable when people say these things.  

What's PSL?

On 10/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, PRgal said:

I don't know if this qualifies as health or general peeve - or even mental health, but as you probably know, I'm super-sick and tired of the anti-diet philosophy because my eating more healthfully than the so-called "general public" and my distaste of anything super-sweet (especially fake sweet) is interpreted as me being "on a diet."  In other words, trying to lose weight.  Comments like "you don't need to lose weight, so why aren't you having any fun?"  Different people have different ideas of what "fun" means.  I didn't grow up this way, so I don't want to eat this way.  I like pumpkin, but not PSLs of any kind.  I used to make myself drink a very modified PSL once a year (one pump of syrup, no whip...and the smallest size possible - a short), just to get into the spirit of things, but was grossed out every time.  I've now decided to just get the pumpkin seasoning.  Much better, thank you very much.  It really angers me and makes me uncomfortable when people say these things.  

I don't like PSL, either. I thought about trying the foam on top of my chai, but ended up not doing that.

I'm a bit afraid of trying the Christmas iced chai, with the ginger added, just in case I like it more, and it's retired at the end of the season. :) 

8 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't like PSL, either. I thought about trying the foam on top of my chai, but ended up not doing that.

I'm a bit afraid of trying the Christmas iced chai, with the ginger added, just in case I like it more, and it's retired at the end of the season. :) 

I’ve never had it!  I don’t do cold, caffeinated drinks after, say, Canadian Thanksgiving or Halloween!

• Like 1

This goes without saying, I'm sure, but COVID is my peeve today -- or at least the uncertainty that has come about because of it. Yesterday, I was sneezy and kind of congested, and today I am really tired. Well, the former could be many things, including that it's not at all unusual for me and that I ate some sauerkraut.* The latter may be a result of the former because I didn't sleep well. I suppose I'll take a test, but every time I've done that in the last 4 years due to feeling "off," it's been negative and then I feel dumb! (The only time I was positive, I felt fine and had no symptoms at all because I am a some kind of backwards human being.)

*Apparently, fermented foods can trigger histamine responses in some people! 

• Sad 5
25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This goes without saying, I'm sure, but COVID is my peeve today -- or at least the uncertainty that has come about because of it. Yesterday, I was sneezy and kind of congested, and today I am really tired. Well, the former could be many things, including that it's not at all unusual for me and that I ate some sauerkraut.* The latter may be a result of the former because I didn't sleep well. I suppose I'll take a test, but every time I've done that in the last 4 years due to feeling "off," it's been negative and then I feel dumb! (The only time I was positive, I felt fine and had no symptoms at all because I am a some kind of backwards human being.)

*Apparently, fermented foods can trigger histamine responses in some people! 

You aren't "dumb" to test yourself. We live in this damn covid age today. Testing is a way of protecting everyone around you, and of course, it lets you know if *you* need medical attention right away. We've accumulated a stack of tests, so we like to make use of them before they expire. I have allergies that, when triggered, can make me wonder about covid. I've never had it (knock on wood!) but it's great to test and know that I'm ok. 

• Like 7

My peeve is just being sick.  I hate everything about being sick.  I hate feeling sick, I hate having to make my own food when I'm sick (tbh, I don't always like making my own food when I'm not sick), and I hate boring daytime television.  I opened a can of soup for lunch, and I hate soup.  I almost hate missing work -- almost.  Currently I hate that I don't know if my COVID test was negative because I don't have COVID, or because my tests are about 12 days past the extended expiration date.  I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter, since I'm just treating symptoms anyway, but it might be nice to know.

This doesn't really feel like it did when I had COVID a couple of years ago -- no fever, no cough, no debilitating fatigue, just horrible congestion and a scratchy throat (probably from post-nasal drip).  

• Hugs 2

New day, new peeve, but about the same sickness.  I still can't figure out what is wrong with me!  I've had three negative COVID tests, the last one with a definitely unexpired kit.  It has now lasted too long to be "just" a cold, and it's certainly not the flu.  

I'm leaning towards sinus infection at this point.  

• Sad 2
On 2/18/2024 at 11:31 AM, Browncoat said:

New day, new peeve, but about the same sickness.  I still can't figure out what is wrong with me!  I've had three negative COVID tests, the last one with a definitely unexpired kit.  It has now lasted too long to be "just" a cold, and it's certainly not the flu.  

I'm leaning towards sinus infection at this point.  

Are you near a walk-in clinic?  They'd have a better idea--especially of what's going around in your area, or if you're showing the signs of a sinus infection. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you near a walk-in clinic?  They'd have a better idea--especially of what's going around in your area, or if you're showing the signs of a sinus infection. 

I am near a walk-in clinic, but I opted not to do anything and let it run its course.  It's pretty much finished now.  Still no idea what it was, but as I'm very nearly back to what passes for normal for me, I'm not sure it matters what it was.  🙂

• Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am near a walk-in clinic, but I opted not to do anything and let it run its course.  It's pretty much finished now.  Still no idea what it was, but as I'm very nearly back to what passes for normal for me, I'm not sure it matters what it was.  🙂

My husband had a respiratory infection that hung on a bit too long. He saw the nurse at our primary care practice. She told him to use Mucinex DM expectorant..the one that helps you cough up. It's OTC. Really helped and now he's over whatever is going around (several of his friends here & even in California have had this ailment). I'm glad you're now feeling better!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

She told him to use Mucinex DM expectorant..the one that helps you cough up. It's OTC.

I don't like the DM, because it contains both an expectorant (good) and a suppressant (not a good idea, although they're not shown to be particularly effective, so more likely to be useless than bad), which I find odd (a cough suppressant at night, to get some damn sleep, I get, but both in one pill has me scratching my head a little).  I like the one that's just an expectorant as it seems to be the best of the few I've tried over the years at thinning the mucus and making it easier to cough up and out.  It's a pretty big pill (maybe all the Mucinex formulas are like that?), which wasn't an issue for me, but could be for some.

I'm just thrilled not to need it anymore; lingering coughs after an illness are really annoying.

• Like 2
(edited)

To quote the thread title-my neck pain is a pain in the neck! I don’t know if I’m sleeping wrong, need a new pillow, new mattress….? I just know I’m not getting good quality sleep!!

note to self-put face cream on before Deep Blue rub!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Hugs 2