Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Episode 7

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Well, at least she got to ride him once.
I am, and I knew this was coming when every season before this ended with Maeve and Otis not together for some lame reason, hugely disappointed that this show, of all shows, could not commit to showing a relationship between two main characters grow and evolve without stupid TV tropes.
They managed it well when its platonic, like Otis and Eric, but throw sex in the mix and suddenly its all about keeping viewers in suspense.

• Like 1

I don't get if Jean can pay off the sister's debt that she couldn't hire a nanny. I suppose it's because she'd have to admit she needs help. Otis called the aunt. 

I am so so so so so so glad we didn't have phones when I was in high school. I can't even imagine. 

Wow Beau.

I'm not an Isaac fan, but he was 100% correct. That's not right. 

• Like 3

I am trying to forget how much I hated Isaac last season because I loved what he did this episode. The way pwd (pple with disabilities) are treated is unbearable (I speak from experience) and he has been much more patient than he ever should have been expected to be.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Does the UK have an equivalent to the ADA in the United States? If students have accessibility issues in class, they're protected under the ADA to inform the institution and the instructor for accommodations. 

That's the theory. The reality is often not so. I don't know what the law is in the UK but there are MANY circumstances where I've been denied basic access in the USA-- even by medical practitioners! It's a well-documented problem. The enforcement is weak and pathetic and people skirt the law for many years in many cases, before finally being forced to comply -- if they ever are actually forced to do  it. And hen they hate your guts for forcing them, so the access you get is grudging and miserable.

• Applause 1
16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Does the UK have an equivalent to the ADA in the United States?

Yes, it's called the Equality Act; here's a brief overview of its Education section.

8 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't know what the law is in the UK but there are MANY circumstances where I've been denied basic access in the USA-- even by medical practitioners! It's a well-documented problem.

In the UK as well.  I'm not as familiar with the challenges those with disabilities face there as I am here, but a colleague who is a disability rights lawyer has attended international conferences, so I've heard horror stories from all over.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was thinking there's got to be lawyers out there suing everybody over violations. 

Unfortunately, with regard to the ADA, the way it's structured means the only real mechanism for enforcing compliance is bringing suit. (This is also true regarding other kinds of discrimination in many instances in the US.)

I guess I should have guessed they'd do an abuse/control storyline before the show ended, since they haven't made a point of addressing it in their teen relationships before. (It didn't seem the show regarded Adam and Eric's relationship as having that dynamic, even if many of the viewers did.) I do really love Jackson and Viv's friendship, though.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Like 1

Jean talking about O getting "deleted" and Otis having to correct her with "canceled" cracked me up.

Otis and Maeve had me rolling my eyes at them together throughout, but I really enjoyed the scene between Maeve and Jean. 

Cal talking about how they can't get the care they need to live their life was so sad; I'm glad they have Roman to talk to, but his family could afford to pay for private surgery so he can't completely relate.  (I think Roman uses he/him pronouns; if I'm wrong, please let me know so I can correct it!)

I love the sit-in, and Amy's excitement they're doing one of those protests, like with the naked people from the '60s with the funny bums.

Adam confronting his father was very well done.  I am shocked at how believable I have found Adam's rehabilitation.  They've shown him doing the work (unlike with Isaac, where they just suddenly wrote him differently from one season to the next and expected us to forget what a jerk he'd been), and I love that working with animals is his niche.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

They've shown him doing the work (unlike with Isaac, where they just suddenly wrote him differently from one season to the next and expected us to forget what a jerk he'd been), and I love that working with animals is his niche.

I feel like maybe they shoe horned Isaac in the season because not enough actors returned. I don't really know why he couldn't just have been a jerk. It's a waste of Aimes to shove her with him. She didn't really interact much with any of the new characters. 

• Like 1