Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I'm not sure falling asleep at Ruby's house because they worked on the campaign is really anything that needed to be a thing. His plans fell through, and they watched tv. Otis is being overly much though. I'm not liking him these past couple of episodes. Not all his fault, but he is getting in his own way. Maeve at least was an adult about it. 

2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

That fight between Eric and Otis needed to happen. So much between them is left unsaid.

Have we ever seen Otis even come to Eric's house or interact with Eric's parents?

We don't know if Eric ever invited him either. I didn't see as too much of a fight. Otis certainly is all in on Maeve, but Eric is hanging out with Abbi and all them, and he did disinvite him to the queer party. Otis doesn't know he's having a crisis either. I don't really think it's a big deal that they've been doing other things. They didn't have a problem talking. Eric still showed up for the funeral. I think they were making more of it than needed. 

Good for Aimes!

I have no issues with Ruby taking ownership of the video. 

The show kind of got away from Otis actually doing the therapy. 

21 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

That fight between Eric and Otis needed to happen. So much between them is left unsaid.

17 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They didn't have a problem talking.

They've always been accepting and supportive of each other and of one another's interests, but Otis looked very uncomfortable when Eric brought up that they never discuss his Christianity or talk about race, and quickly changed the subject. It's entirely realistic that he would be uncomfortable given that he's young, white, and probably a nonbeliever (or at least someone non-religious) given his upbringing. But these are issues that have become more front-burner for Eric lately. and that he's able to address with his new friends, so it is understandable that he would want to be able to speak openly about them with his best friend, too.

• Like 6

I was just saying it didn't seem like much of a fight to me. They weren't screaming or hurling insults and were able to at least talk. The show also had 3 years to bring this up, and it struck me a little as being horned in. Friends don't have to be all things to each other on all topics either. 

I was put off that they were making judgments on Otis at the house before the queer night party in the first place, and this felt more to me their influence than genuinely coming from Eric. Otis did put on his fancy shirt and was ready to go and be the wingman. Maybe they would have been able to talk more about these things then if Otis didn't back out from going. 

I am (slowly) catching up. That funeral was hard to watch (though I confess I was worried that Sean was going to OD and I'm glad the show didn't go that route), but I did appreciate that Colin (Colin? The music teacher?) got to play the piano and I was very glad to see both of the teachers again.

This season has lost a lot of the charm of Seasons 1-3, but I am a completionist, so I will soldier on for the last couple of episodes.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:56 AM, caitmcg said:

They've always been accepting and supportive of each other and of one another's interests, but Otis looked very uncomfortable when Eric brought up that they never discuss his Christianity or talk about race, and quickly changed the subject. It's entirely realistic that he would be uncomfortable given that he's young, white, and probably a nonbeliever (or at least someone non-religious) given his upbringing. But these are issues that have become more front-burner for Eric lately. and that he's able to address with his new friends, so it is understandable that he would want to be able to speak openly about them with his best friend, too.

That's why I was completely on Eric's side in that confrontation.  He's trying to explain how he feels, and Otis is just getting defensive and refusing to have the conversation.  Otis is frequently inconsiderate; he always sincerely apologizes, but then he does it again.

And shame on him for "I just want to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons" when she says she's going to stay there instead of going back to the writing course.  Of course she's not!  She's in a terrible headspace and making a stupid decision as a result, but he's going to be selfish because he wants her around.  Grrr. 

I could do without Eric's church storyline, but I legit LOL at "Please don't tell me you were expecting an old white guy" when he dreamed he saw his god.

And of course Beau is snooping through Viv's phone.  Grade A asshole, that guy.  I'm glad Jackson is onto him.

I'm concerned for Cal; I hope this isn't leading up to their suicide.

I am now all in for Ruby, after putting herself out there in order to get revenge on O.

Bottom line of this episode: Everyone should have a friend like Aimee.  (And, gods, did I love her telling off the men who told her to smile; guys, seriously, knock.that.shit.off.)

• Like 3
  • Love 1