Type keyword(s) to search

Benedict Cumberbatch: Not Your Father's Sherlock

Its just the month of Snozzlebert Custardbath.

Ha! It sure seems to be.

There were a whole slew of articles about the Doctor Strange casting (Time, People, Us, all of them), but they don't really add anything to the announcement.

Another long video which I haven't had a chance to listen to yet--a LiveStream Q&A from Frontrunners/Fandango with Benedict about The Imitation Game: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2by5vh_live-stream-qa-with-benedict-cumberbatch-7-dec-2014_creation.

Hollywood Take (a publication with which I am unfamiliar) analyzes Benedict's (and The Imitation Game's) Oscar chances.

And apparently there are still some reporters/bloggers (BreakingNew.ie, JustJared) unaware that Benedict likes doing comedy.

Edited by rereader2

(Another) article (this one from People) on reasons to love BC  - http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20880249_30257642,00.html#30257641

"I play a complete idiot Martin Crieff in a radio show called Cabin Pressure"  Aw, Martin isn't a complete idiot.  Its just silly - he's been doing Cabin Pressure since 2008 and people in the press still are surprised that he can do comedy. 

And, I've probably said this already, but if anyone hasn't joined the brilliant world of Cabin Pressure, its hysterical. 

I mean to listen to Cabin Pressure, I always mean to... 

Surprise! Benedict is pleased and excited to be cast as Doctor Strange (really? I thought he'd be despondent):

ComicBook.com

MTV

EntertainmentWise

(There are more, but they say the same thing.)

And then there's this video (also found on the pages of several of the links). It's at BIFA, and he starts talking about the Variety award he got, but Hey U Guys (and the links above) focus on the Doctor Strange thing:

Among those reporting on the BIFA Variety Award (rather than Doctor Strange) were:  the Mirror, which has a video that I hope is Benedict's acceptance speech, but it's just "loading" interminably for me;  Hello! has photos as well as a story; and the Mirror has a second story reporting on Sophie's outfit at the event.

Edited by rereader2

Not that many - we are just in season 2 :-)   Plus, each episode is only 30 minutes so its easy to catch up.   Though, be forewarned.  Once you listen to all of Cabin Pressure, you will want to then listen to John Finnemore's other radio show - Souvenir Programme.   The expression is you come for the Cumberbatch and stay for the Finnemore.

Plus, its really interesting to hear Brandybuck Snickersbar play a character that isn't very sure of himself. 

• Love 1

He got a few SAG noms this morning  1) Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (for The Imitation Game)  2) Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture (for The Imitation Game)  3) Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries (for The Last Vow).

Oh, and for anyone in the Washington, DC area - The Imitation Game opens tomorrow night!  I've already got my ticket. 

• Love 1

The podcast is pretty good -- Nerdist is pretty freeform and can be very interesting but the hosts can be incredibly annoying at times.  But they do let him talk freely for the most part, which is worthwhile listening.

I'm not sure when Comedy Central will upload the video but Ben appeared on Colbert as Smaug, getting to make fun of himself a bit. If only Smaug could have actually thrown up on the hosts at the View....

Edited again to fix link & add: Actually Smaug ate the View hosts. BC also does a killer delivery of that milkshake line from There Will Be Blood.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1

It won't be in the paper until Sunday (or at least, until Saturday, when most of the weekend sections are delivered), but it's online now: The New York Times has a nice article about Benedict in their "Awards Section" this weekend, Showing the Smarts to Play the Genius

And Epix has a roundtable (in this case, a coffee table) discussion online and Benedict is one of the participants: Hollywood Sessions: Lead Actor. (If you'd like a little preview, Bustle.com has a clip, along with an explanation, which as it happens I needed to understand the joke.) It's well worth the hour, it's a very interesting group.

Edited by rereader2

Interview with an Australian site, news.com: Oscar favourite Benedict Cumberbatch says up close George Clooney is `rather squidgy’.

(Never fear, the article makes it reasonably clear it was a joke. Although his poor publicist must have daily heart attacks!)

If anyone can take it, it's George Clooney. He'll just launch some elaborate prank, BC will team up with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler to retaliate and the world will be a slightly better place.

• Love 1

There's a quite interesting interview with Benedict on The Wall Street Journal website.

It seems that W Magazine is releasing 7 different covers for their movie issue, one of which is Benedict and Kiera Knightley. There are more photos and some text if you click through the gallery at Refinery 29.

You can see all the celeb photos at the W Magazine slideshow, and I do not like ANY of them.

Edited by rereader2

It seems to have been officially announced - there is going to be a Cumberbaby!   Benedict and Sophie are going to be parents! 

The most startling part of the announcement was the note that they announced their engagement three months ago -- what the hell happened to the last three months?!?  I thought that was three WEEKS ago!!

(I think that's more a reflection on me than Benedict & Sophie, though.)

In non-Cumberbaby-related news, there's an article on CNET about Benedict; it seems to me to basically be a rehash of the WSJ interview, but I could be misremembering.

Also, there is an interesting "featurette" of Morten Tyldum talking about directing "The Imitation Game" and working with Benedict:

It was smart planning  ahead on his part.  I don't believe that he is doing any matinees so he'll be home during the day and just away at night.  I wonder how long a show Hamlet is going to be.  For his sake, hopefully not a very long version but for my sake, I hope its very long :-)

Oh, and BC will be at the Golden Globes on Sunday and he will be on Ellen's show on Wednesday. 

• Love 1

In today's Blubberbutt Curdledmilk news, he is not only attending but he is also going to be a presenter at the Golden Globes and he was nominated this morning for a BAFTA for Best Actor. 

• Love 1

Just been watching the NBC Golden Globes preview show; when they snared Benedict they asked him about Turing and never got a chance to ask him about Sophie or the Cumberbaby--he started talking about Turing and ate up all his time and then some. Ha!