Type keyword(s) to search

The Horror Of Dolores Roach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

the-horror-of-delores-roach-1014x570.jpg

The Horror of Dolores Roach is a horror/drama/comedy TV series streaming all eight (half-hour) episodes on Prime Video on July 7, 2023. This story was originally conceived by Aaron Mark as a one-woman play called "Empanada Loca", the concept turned into a hit 2018 two season podcast series called "The Horror of Dolores Roach". 

The Horror of Dolores Roach is a contemporary Sweeney Todd-inspired urban legend of love, betrayal, weed, cannibalism, and survival of the fittest. Dolores Roach is released after an unjust 16-year prison sentence, and she returns to a gentrified Washington Heights with $200 and the clothes on her back. With her boyfriend missing, her family long gone and her apartment now occupied by strangers. Dolores reunites with an old stoner friend, Luis, who has had a crush on Dolores since childhood. Luis lets her live and work as a masseuse in the basement under his empanada shop "Empanada Loca". When the promise of her newfound stability is quickly threatened, Dolores “Magic Hands” Roach is driven to shocking extremes to survive.

Justina Machado as Dolores Roach, a masseuse known as “Magic Hands” 

2HODR_S1_FG_103_00290710_Still010-1-scal

Alejandro Hernandez as Luis Batista, owner of Empanada Loca 

4HODR_S1_UT_102_220628_SAVJAS_00108RC-sc

Marc Maron as Gideon Pearlman, new owner of the building where Empanada Loca resides. 

Kita Updike as Nellie Morris, the kind, confident, and no-nonsense teenager who works behind the Empanada Loca counter and lives upstairs with her agoraphobic grandmother.

K. Todd Freeman as Jeremiah, a man who spends his days standing outside of Empanada Loca holding the door for people for change, and his nights underground in a corner of an abandoned NYC subway tunnel with a community known to some as “Mole People".

Jean Yoon as Joy, owner the laundromat next door to Empanada Loca, who becomes a frequent Dolores “Magic Hands” customer.

Judy Reyes as Marcie, neighborhood weed dispenser who becomes Dolores' nemesis after Dolores refuses to work for her.

Jeffery Self as Caleb, an influencer/podcaster living in the same building as Empanada Loca. A regular massage customer of “Magic Hands”, his podcast brings attention and new patrons to Empanada Loca and the massage business.

Cyndi Lauper as Ruthie, a Broadway theatre usher who moonlights as a private investigator.

• Useful 1

The Horror of Dolores Roach   July 7, 2023    Prime Video     

Episodes 1-8           Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: They Called Me Magic Hands
61w6ybhXc3L._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores is released from prison and is reunited with Luis, empanadas, and weed.

S01.E02: This Building's Gonna Be the Death of Me
71gc3sAzK+L._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores and her Magic Hands go into business.

S01.E03: Like a Stoned- Ass Baby
71UOwL30bPL._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores digests what Luis has done with the evidence.

S01.E04: Bitch, I've Already Been to Prison
61qompfnG8L._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores is confronted with the truth of her past.

S01.E05: I Never Don't Find 'Em
61ga5SunBHL._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores is confronted with the carnage of her present.

S01.E06: Blink Twice
71f7LDZrU9L._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores re-stocks the kitchen.

S01.E07: Bye, Felicia
61zhTOJ-9NL._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores prepares to run.

S01.E08: Stop Me
(Season Finale)

71qhak3qtBL._RI_SX1080_FMwebp_.jpg
Dolores can’t be stopped.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

K. Todd Freeman as Jeremiah, a man who spends his days standing outside of Empanada Loca holding the door for people for change, and his nights underground in a corner of an abandoned NYC subway tunnel with a community known to some as “Mole People".

I assume that was the character description from the source material.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:
On 6/12/2023 at 10:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

I assume that was the character description from the source material.

I go to various sources looking for information before the show comes out. This might be part description from the original play or from the podcast or the initial description of the character from when the TV Series was being pitched. I think most of the information the various websites provided was heavily based on what happened in the podcast.

I love Justina Machado, but Prime keeps showing me promos for this and it looks horrible.  So I'm going to hang out here for a while and hope more people chime in; maybe some positive feedback will spur me to give it a try.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love Justina Machado, but Prime keeps showing me promos for this and it looks horrible.  So I'm going to hang out here for a while and hope more people chime in; maybe some positive feedback will spur me to give it a try.

A modern take on Sweeny Todd in 30 minutes dark sitcom is good unless the language and sexual situations, and/or  the inspured by Sweeny Todd parts turn you off.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, Bastet said:

Well, I had a lot of fun! Justina Machado was fantastic and I really loved the rest of the cast too. Fantastic prosthetics. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but there's a dearth of good new stuff right now and it hit the spot. I may be the only one, though. Me and one critic

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Well, I had a lot of fun! Justina Machado was fantastic and I really loved the rest of the cast too. Fantastic prosthetics. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but there's a dearth of good new stuff right now and it hit the spot. I may be the only one, though. Me and one critic

I also loved it! I was laughing so hard from the first to the last episode. It was the right amount of horror, gore, and fun for me. 

• Like 5