Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/8/2023

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I generally bristle when I hear adult women referred to as girls, but I think you are right about Joy's usage of the word. I know since I have gotten old, I feel everyone younger me than me is a kid. 

I  don't worry about "terms" unless I think they're meant to be insulting.  The females or women of today are no different from our mothers and grandmothers who loved hanging out with "the girls."  Now that I'm stopping to consider, I think it's endearing.  Maybe it's something For Women By Women.  We know when we're being demeaned--no matter what we're called.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I  don't worry about "terms" unless I think they're meant to be insulting.  The females or women of today are no different from our mothers and grandmothers who loved hanging out with "the girls."  Now that I'm stopping to consider, I think it's endearing.  Maybe it's something For Women By Women.  We know when we're being demeaned--no matter what we're called.

Yes I don't mind when women do it but when men do it, it is condescending. I was thirty when I worked for a vet who referred to me to clients as his girl. I did not like that and told him so. He stopped. 

11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Same. I don't think most people say girl to be demeaning. I also get that at Joy's age, even a 30-year-old is extremely young to her. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1