Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/8/2023

• Start Topic

Interesting to have the inventor of the new style speculum on, but this is a medical device, not a consumer product. I can't imagine any doctor agreeing to use a device that the patient brought in from home, no matter how advanced it was. For one thing, there has to be some liability issue if the device isn't used properly or if any injury (however small) or infection resulted. Not to mention that even with a simple device, you'd have to be familiar with it before you used it properly. Unless you are a medical professional, I can't imagine buying your own speculum. 

This would have been something that they suggested viewers ask their doctors about considering for their practices, kind of like the way many drug ads suggest patients ask doctors about. 

• Like 1

Maybe Joy and Sunny need to reread the Constitution, because the First Amendment doesn't apply only to speech you agree with, and any organization can invite any speaker they want. If she's disappointed in the composition of the audience, well, that's kind of the pot calling the kettle black, as the View studio audience clearly agrees with nearly everything the panel says. Snarking on the moderator is just petty, unless you've shown that you have been able to do a better job.  Par for the course, but not really a substantial criticism. 

• Like 1

Watching Alyssa start to defend Trump & then realize where she is & changing her tune to "he's crazy" is amusing. Anyone else think she's hedging her bets just in case he gets in again & has a job opening ?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 5/10/2023 at 9:36 AM, GiveMeSpace said:

Andy Cohen? Oh, hell no. It's like they are trying to run me off. 

Also, I feel significantly dumber after that underwear discussion. My main takeaway is that Joy is very wasteful. This asinine discussion juxtaposed with the earlier one about sexual assault was just *something*  I need to go have a long talk with myself about my life choices. 

I’ve heard and read that suggestion to wear old underwear and throw them away in travel tips for years. I’m from the generation of make sure your underwear is good incase you’re in an accident.  Whoopi has mentioned many times that she doesn’t wear a bra ( and it’s apparent) but no panties? No way.   I remember Joy letting us know Meredith didn’t .    

42 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe Joy and Sunny need to reread the Constitution, because the First Amendment doesn't apply only to speech you agree with, and any organization can invite any speaker they want. If she's disappointed in the composition of the audience, well, that's kind of the pot calling the kettle black, as the View studio audience clearly agrees with nearly everything the panel says. Snarking on the moderator is just petty, unless you've shown that you have been able to do a better job.  Par for the course, but not really a substantial criticism. 

The audience should have been instructed to refrain from outbursts since it was supposed to be a town hall forum, not a political rally. Their laughing at the slurs against E Jean Carroll was shocking and extremely disturbing. What is the matter with people?  

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
53 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think it's the same thing.  The View audience is mostly made up of people who were lucky enough to get tickets.  The View doesn't control who is in the audience aside from people sometimes invited.  

11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The audience should have been instructed to refrain from outbursts since it was supposed to be a town hall forum, not a political rally. Their laughing at the slurs against E Jean Carroll was shocking and extremely disturbing. What is the matter with people?  

I only saw clips.  Was the audience allowed to ask questions?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
40 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I’ve heard and read that suggestion to wear old underwear and throw them away in travel tips for years. I’m from the generation of make sure your underwear is good incase you’re in an accident.  Whoopi has mentioned many times that she doesn’t wear a bra ( and it’s apparent) but no panties? No way.   I remember Joy letting us know Meredith didn’t .    

hopefully, she does wear some when she is trying on clothes 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
14 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

On yesterday's show Alyssa changed shoes between the first and second segment.  She had on gold pumps and then she had on different shoes. I'm a shoe person so I notice shoes.

That's weird, but so is Whoopi wearing crocs the past two weeks.

Anyway, I agreed with Joy mostly that CNN is a disgrace not for allowing a townhall, but for allowing the audience to be filled like a rally. And I won't feel sorry for Sara next time she gets interrupted by someone or other for the way she and Alyssa ran roughshod over Sunny's turn to speak today. And then she had the gall to look annoyed when Sunny wasn't done speaking at one point--I'm like if you'd STFU and let her speak, asshole, maybe she'd have been done already. Alyssa is vile. Water is wet, what else is new? You could see that crazy glimmer in her eyes today.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, cinsays said:

For real. I don't get the whole never wearing panties thing. Unless we're talking tiny thongs are something, panties are not uncomfortable. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And then she had the gall to look annoyed when Sunny wasn't done speaking at one point

I think Sara was annoyed that Sunny was making a point about independents being so important and Sunny quoting the exact same statistics that Sara had used 90 seconds ago!

• Useful 2
(edited)

That was after the first commercial, the part I was referring to was in the first segment.

She and Alyssa feel like they're playing roles out of Mean Girls these days. At least it has been enlightening finding out what Sara is really like. Honestly I'd rather have somebody like Abby Huntsman in that seat rather than her these days. She'd be playing "back up" for Alyssa, too, no doubt, but at least she never felt fake and bitter like Sara.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 3
(edited)

Watching today's show is just another reminder of how Alyssa's hiring was an example of the putrefication of the news and media. Having someone from a particular administration on The View to then regularly discuss the head of said administration is disturbing.

So it's not surprising to me to see her continually attempt to make sure a critic of her former bosses can't even be heard, because her interests are for the people she worked for first and foremost. And for her to pretend like she gives a shit about "female journalists" simply as an attempt to silence Sunny's criticism of CNN considering all she's endorsed in her past and supports on this show is disgusting.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
I'll just put my reaction to today's show here since I had an extra post here anyway.
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She and Alyssa feel like they're playing roles out of Mean Girls these days. At least it has been enlightening finding out what Sara is really like. Honestly I'd rather have somebody like Abby Huntsman in that seat rather than her these days. She'd be playing "back up" for Alyssa, too, no doubt, but at least she never felt fake and bitter like Sara.

I always liked Sara but last week her acting like Antifa was an organized group like the Proud Boys had me rolling my eyes. Whether she really believes the things she  has been saying or is just playing a part it's not a good look for her.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 7

I was wondering what’s gotten into Sara lately and I realize that she’s found an ally in Alyssa, so she’s a bit more emboldened. 

I completely agree with Sunny and I was annoyed at Sara and Alyssa trying to gaslight Sunny and pretend they have no idea what she was talking about. Good on Sunny for calling them out for interrupting her. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

I completely agree with Sunny and I was annoyed at Sara and Alyssa trying to gaslight Sunny and pretend they have no idea what she was talking about. Good on Sunny for calling them out for interrupting her. 

Did I hear someone on the panel say yesterday there are no independents just partisans?  I thought someone said that when the camera wasn't on them.

^ I think Sunny is the one that said that? I'm not sure. I don't agree with her that there aren't real independents. Only in some scenarios and related to certain topics might I agree with Sunny that "independents" are really just people who don't want to voice aloud what they actually support. On less divisive topics or figures though, I wouldn't say I agree with that.

1 hour ago, Sharper2002 said:

I agree. Alyssa was particularly annoying to me today with her ideas that trump fans (like her family) might change their mind if he is exposed more, and that undecideds will hear what he says on other (internet) platforms. First, everyone has already heard everything and if it has made no difference so far it probably never will. And secondly, undecideds/independents are not likely to go looking on far right websites to hear what trump has to say lately. Again, we already know and it won’t change minds. So I guess I’m agreeing with Sunny. 

• Like 5

I just realized that the cast of the "Book Club" movie includes Mary Steenbergen, who is married to Ted Danson, who was at one time linked with Whoopi Goldberg. I wonder if that had any influence on when the cast came to the show, since Whoopi is off on Fridays.

• Wink 3
52 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I just realized that the cast of the "Book Club" movie includes Mary Steenbergen, who is married to Ted Danson, who was at one time linked with Whoopi Goldberg. I wonder if that had any influence on when the cast came to the show, since Whoopi is off on Fridays.

That's why @HerkyJerky posted:

2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Too bad Whoopi isn’t here today. I would’ve loved to see her and Mary Steenburgen compare notes! LOL

• Useful 1

I agree that Sara seems to be irritating lately. And regarding Whoopi not wearing underwear - I would have been fine if I had never heard that.  Now I can't look at her without thinking it.  I don't get the no underwear thing. They make good underwear that is light and feels very comfortable. And if you don't wear underwear, then I sure hope you are washing whatever clothes you are wearing after each and every wearing. Just because she has stopped having periods, as she pointed out, doesn't mean there aren't going to be little dribs and drabs of whatever during the day.  Sorry if TMI.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 4
22 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Just because she has stopped having periods, as she pointed out, doesn't mean there aren't going to be little dribs and drabs of whatever during the day.

I was surprised to hear Sunny say she is looking forward to the day she no longer has periods. She is the same age as me and I haven't had a period in over 4 years.

• Like 1
(edited)

Something popped up about awkward moment when Diane told Alysia to stay away from her. I’m too lazy to retrieve deleted tape , did anyone hear that?  Also my memory is getting sketchy but I though I saw one movie with these actresses ( thought it was book club and it was bad) anyone? 

Edited by athousandclowns
Spell
(edited)

Athousandclowns, I thought Keaton’s comment was becuz she’s nervous and ditsy, at least per public persona. And I agree that many of the most hyped movies disappoint.

Jane Fonda has never looked better, imo, and she’s much the oldest of the 4 actresses, at 85 -  must be nice to have the $$$ for plenty of “work.”  I read she had her first face lift in her forties, a 2nd (? call me skeptical) at 75, then a neck and chin lift - but she doesn’t wanna talk about it.  OK, Jane. The other actresses, somewhat amazingly, are 8 to 15 years younger than  Fonda.  I admire her (privileged) lifetime of activism, but can’t help wondering if she’d be in such demand for roles in her 80’s if she were less tweaked.

Edited by flummoxd
accuracy- afaik!
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Something popped up about awkward moment when Diane told Alysia to stay away from her. I’m to lazy to retrieve deleted tape ,did anyone hear that? Also my memory is getting sketchy but I though I saw one movie with these actresses ( thought it was book club and it was bad) anyone? 

I don't know about your first question. In regards to the second there was a previous Book Club movie a few years ago with the same actresses. 

8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I was surprised to hear Sunny say she is looking forward to the day she no longer has periods. She is the same age as me and I haven't had a period in over 4 years.

I was surprised to hear Sunny still gets her period too. I know she's been done having kids for awhile and would probably just love to wear white pants anytime and never buy tampons again. I'm curious what leads to early or late menopause. I've read different theories, but not sure what's true. 

I'm curious how it will go for me. I didn't get my first period until I was 15. I had an eat disorder in my teens and went a year without a period. I also take an acne medication that sometimes throws my cycle off and makes me start my period early. I used to wonder if there was a link between menarche and menopause, but studies report different things. 

Doesn’t hormone replacement therapy result in a pseudo period?  Could be Sunny’s on H R T.  Or maybe like me, just a laggard, who menstruated naturally till age 54.  It kept me relatively unwrinkled for a while, but possibly contributed to my breast cancer 7 years later- can’t win ‘em all, and am now, very fortunately (thank you mammogram!), many years later alive to tell the tale.

• Hugs 7
8 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Doesn’t hormone replacement therapy result in a pseudo period?  Could be Sunny’s on H R T.  Or maybe like me, just a laggard, who menstruated naturally till age 54.  It kept me relatively unwrinkled for a while, but possibly contributed to my breast cancer 7 years later- can’t win ‘em all, and am now, very fortunately (thank you mammogram!), many years later alive to tell the tale.

Oh my, I never heard that there was a link. I'm sorry you had such a scare, but I'm so happy it was caught and you're okay. Wish you continued health!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Jenna Bush Hager says she does t wear underwear either. Baffling to me for both her and the Whoopster

I'm here to baffle you too.  History taught us that underwear was created to make laundrering easier.  "Outer" clothing could be worn longer after someone discovered wearing something lighter "under."  In the late 60s (I was born in  '40), I went without a bra whenever/wherever I could (although 34C became 44DD when I got fat--so bras were almost necessary outside my home).  I was one of those daring working women who did NOT wear panties under pantyhose. Clutch pearls here.  It was a simple step from no-pantyhose to no panties--and no panty-lines.  I've been a "no underwear" female for over thirty years.  It hasn't changed my personality, my circle of friends, my health, my voting pattern ... or even my laundry process.  I'M FREE!!  I do have a stash of serviceable panties for doctor appointments and hospital stays.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:42 PM, athousandclowns said:

Also my memory is getting sketchy but I though I saw one movie with these actresses ( thought it was book club and it was bad) anyone? 

On 5/12/2023 at 3:48 PM, Jaded said:

In regards to the second there was a previous Book Club movie a few years ago with the same actresses. 

This year's movie is "The Book Club: Another Chapter."    The previous movie, YOU'RE CORRECT, THOUSAND! was simply "Book Club" in 2018.  Fortunately, I'm rarely sucked in to see these movies created simply to tempt a certain age group.

Edited by Back Atcha
On 5/12/2023 at 11:51 AM, debbie311 said:

I don't get the no underwear thing. They make good underwear that is light and feels very comfortable. And if you don't wear underwear, then I sure hope you are washing whatever clothes you are wearing after each and every wearing.

"Light and feels very comfortable," is NOTHING like FREE FROM UNDERWEAR.  No need to worry about our laundry process.  If my underwear didn't get icky, I didn't expect my clothing to get icky either. I got that you can't understand the concept when I read that you're not even able to LOOK at Whoopi because she doesn't wear underwear--but THAT comment is beyond my comprehension.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:51 AM, debbie311 said:

And regarding Whoopi not wearing underwear - I would have been fine if I had never heard that.  Now I can't look at her without thinking it.  I don't get the no underwear thing.

• Like 1
On 5/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, cinsays said:

I'm a NO-UNDERWEAR babe...and I definitely wear underwear when trying on clothes.  Most of my stuff is from QVC or HSN, because I like their sizing...and know what fits.  BUT...no worries that MY BUTT might have been bare in something you tried on after me.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

More later (hopefully), but that's exactly Sunny's point. I think she truly believes She could run circles around Kaitlan Collins* ... in every arena.  She would have fact-checked EVERY lie.  She would have had a producer "in her ear." **  She's also probably not happy that Alyssa seems to turn up on news shows right after things like the "TrumpShow," to add her opinion along with journalists, politicos, and Ana Navarro!  I think she's upset enough that we probably WILL see her one night after a rally or Town Hall...or something similar.  Sunny will find a way.

*Didn't Alyssa try to get a word in about "supporting female journalists," and Sunny (who would like to speak without being interrupted) talked right over her.

**She would have needed ten producers and there STILL was not enough time to catch up with The Donald's spews.

I like Sunny, but her tone was reminiscent of a certain blonde who'd interrupt herself but would cop a tude if someone interrupted her. I know it's annoying to be interrupted when it's your turn to finally speak, but they all chime in here and there. It happens. I remember once during an abortion discussion MM wouldn't shut up as Sunny spoke, and Sunny kept her cool the entire time. You'd think she'd be more patient with Sara/Alyssa who are far nicer people.

Joy's laugh afterwards cracked me up. I love how she doesn't take stuff like that seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Speaking of Joy, wasn’t she the one who referred to Kaitlin Collins as “the girl?”  Hate to have a guy on the show use that term about a female, 30 year old journalist!

Equally offensive (and again, maybe I’m mistaken), didn’t Sara say the 70 - 85 year old, award-winning actresses were “adorable?”   Can we try not to patronize the elderly?  Might have to give someone a rap with my cane if it continues.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'm a NO-UNDERWEAR babe

I'd be terrified that one day the seam in my slacks would rip and I'd be exposed to the world. 😲

Jane looks great.  Diane did seem kind of ditzy.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'm here to baffle you too.  History taught us that underwear was created to make laundrering easier.  "Outer" clothing could be worn longer after someone discovered wearing something lighter "under."  In the late 60s (I was born in  '40), I went without a bra whenever/wherever I could (although 34C became 44DD when I got fat--so bras were almost necessary outside my home).  I was one of those daring working women who did NOT wear panties under pantyhose. Clutch pearls here.  It was a simple step from no-pantyhose to no panties--and no panty-lines.  I've been a "no underwear" female for over thirty years.  It hasn't changed my personality, my circle of friends, my health, my voting pattern ... or even my laundry process.  I'M FREE!!  I do have a stash of serviceable panties for doctor appointments and hospital stays.

I'm not being critical!  It is baffling in that I just feel uncomfortable with my "parts" rubbing against the inside of outer ware if you get my drift. But obviously for you and others it isn't an issue. I'm sure y'all wash your clothes - I was born in '44 so not that far off. And back then we didn't bathe every day. And I know we weren't the only ones.  And I hardly think this personal preference affects voting or personality or anything else except no panties in the laundry basket.  Carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Speaking of Joy, wasn’t she the one who referred to Kaitlin Collins as “the girl?”  Hate to have a guy on the show use that term about a female, 30 year old journalist!

She always does that! 🤦‍♀️

2 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Equally offensive (and again, maybe I’m mistaken), didn’t Sara say the 70 - 85 year old, award-winning actresses were “adorable?”   Can we try not to patronize the elderly?  Might have to give someone a rap with my cane if it continues.

Joy also always makes comments about guests' looks "You're very pretty."

She's just like a problematic male boss. 🤣

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I'm not being critical!  It is baffling in that I just feel uncomfortable with my "parts" rubbing against the inside of outer ware if you get my drift. But obviously for you and others it isn't an issue. I'm sure y'all wash your clothes - I was born in '44 so not that far off. And back then we didn't bathe every day. And I know we weren't the only ones.  And I hardly think this personal preference affects voting or personality or anything else except no panties in the laundry basket.  Carry on. 

i know exactly what you're talking about! Maybe we're just built different. Then again, I've diagnosed myself as having sensory issues.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I was born in '44 so not that far off. And back then we didn't bathe every day. And I know we weren't the only ones.  And I hardly think this personal preference affects voting or personality or anything else except no panties in the laundry basket.  Carry on

I HOPE everyone knew I was JOKING when I mentioned personality, voting, etc being affected by underwear.  IT WAS A JOKE!  Underwear preference is simply that.  I certainly don't judge those who do wear extra clothes under their clothes.  I might judge panty lines ... or hilarious DENTS made by the elastic on thong underwear.  As for not bathing every day, when my sisters and I were 5, 7, and 9 we lived in a housing project.  We took a "bath" in the deep kitchen sink...all using the same water--the cleanest girl first.  I can't recall how often.  I we had a shower for our mother.  I know there was no bathtub.  THEN when we got "a real house," we still shared that bathwater for awhile--but in a "real bathtub."  Most girls I knew washed their hair only once week; it supposedly wasn't healthy to do it otherwise.  Ah, life!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I remember once during an abortion discussion MM wouldn't shut up as Sunny spoke, and Sunny kept her cool the entire time. You'd think she'd be more patient with Sara/Alyssa who are far nicer people.

There must be problems in Sunny's personal life. I don't think she has any patience left.  She's getting more negative every week--to her detriment. I know she doesn't like Ana or Alyssa, but she should be professional (and grown-up) enough to not be so obvious. I think Alyssa is enjoying it and taking (good) advantage.  I like her more than I expected to.  Ana just gives it back to her...maybe it's in Spanish under her breath.

Sunny's also looking tired a lot of the time.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I like Sunny, but her tone was reminiscent of a certain blonde who'd interrupt herself but would cop a tude if someone interrupted her. I know it's annoying to be interrupted when it's your turn to finally speak, but they all chime in here and there. It happens. I remember once during an abortion discussion MM wouldn't shut up as Sunny spoke, and Sunny kept her cool the entire time. You'd think she'd be more patient with Sara/Alyssa who are far nicer people.

Joy's laugh afterwards cracked me up. I love how she doesn't take stuff like that seriously. 

i think she usually does keep her cool, but it seems these two are doing this more aggressively now so that sunny can't be heard or complete her thought. there's a limit.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, cinsays said:

i think she usually does keep her cool, but it seems these two are doing this more aggressively now so that sunny can't be heard or complete her thought. there's a limit.

I haven't noticed it tbh, but I often multitask when I have the TV on. I understand if Sunny gets tired of being interrupted if it's more frequent than I've noticed. I still like all the ladies and don't think any of them mean to be rude or disrespectful of another's time. 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2023 at 10:59 AM, cinsays said:

I think the difference is the last co-host had friends at the top ensuring nothing would change until they were gone. Whereas these days, the ladies are a little more likely to be heard when making complaints behind-the-scenes. Of course, Sara is an ABC plant who similarly has pull at the top (probably by kissing ass like she's always done with Whoopi on this show) which is why she and Alyssa probaby feel emboldened that they have an edge on Sunny to run her over sideways.

• Useful 1
On 5/13/2023 at 7:35 PM, flummoxd said:

Speaking of Joy, wasn’t she the one who referred to Kaitlin Collins as “the girl?”

Joy Behar is 80yrs old.  I'll be 83 next month.  Perhaps its our age that causes us to use the term when referring to her...and others of younger generatons.  It's definitely not meant to degrade or insult any female or their accomplishments.  

• Like 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

Joy Behar is 80yrs old.  I'll be 83 next month.  Perhaps its our age that causes us to use the term when referring to her...and others of younger generatons.  It's definitely not meant to degrade or insult any female or their accomplishments.  

I generally bristle when I hear adult women referred to as girls, but I think you are right about Joy's usage of the word. I know since I have gotten old, I feel everyone younger me than me is a kid. 

11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Has anyone noticed a difference without writers?

Rita Moreno was on the Today Show this morning too and was hilarious.  She was flirting shamelessly with Craig Melvin. Wish I could be text buddies with her too!

The show is as rough and ridiculous as it always was- writers or no writers. They are doing their writers no favors by continuing despite the strike. I feel like I am crossing a picket line when I watch the show and that is not something I would ever do in real life.  Whoopi referenced writing their own copy and showed her card. Isn't them writing their own copy during a strike the very definition of a scab?

Edited by GiveMeSpace
Pondering scabs
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2