Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/8/2023

• Start Topic

Monday, May 8 — Priyanka Chopra Jonas (“Love Again”)

Tuesday, May 9 — The Political View with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) (author, “The Joy of Politics”); Teacher Appreciation Week 

Wednesday, May 10 — Andy Cohen (author, “The Daddy Diaries: The Year I Grew Up”); Aurora James (author, “Wildflower”)

Thursday, May 11 — Chris Tucker (“Air”); Chris “Ludacris” Bridges (“Fast X”)

Friday, May 12 — Cast of “Book Club: The Next Chapter” including Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen and Mary Steenburgen

• Like 1

Amy Klobuchar!  I love her!

Book Club (the original) was a cute movie but I'm sick of watching Jane Fonda play an oversexed older woman for laughs.  

• Like 3
(edited)

Whoopi must have gotten flashbacks from the Meghan era when Alyssa said she’d save her point for the next segment...

“Spit it out!”

Edited by geekburger
  • LOL 6
22 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Excuse me Sunny, but Harry was NOT in the "nosebleed seats" !!!  He was directly behind Princess Anne, the King's Sister, (the one with the feather).

Right, he was in the third row.  No nosebleeds in the third row.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
45 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was shocked when Sunny said she changed her mind about Camilla. She had been so adamant about Camilla being a home palace wrecker. 

I will never change my mind about Camilla.  I still don't like her.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4

I’m sure Queen Camilla is sleeping better at night now, knowing Sunny has changed her mind about their relationship.  🙄  The whole situation is complicated, always has been and that’s life.  From what I’ve read, Diana was no saint either and the two probably should have never been married, but it happened.  I’m glad they showed the shot of Harry because I kept hearing about the feather, but I never saw it.  I overslept and missed watching it live, set the DVR to record the replay on CNN, and then Texas happened. 😢

I’m curious about what Alyssa planned to say at the end of the gun topic.  I’m far to the left of her on gun legislation, but she at least seems reasonable on the topic of gun owners rights/responsibilities.  

• Like 5
(edited)

I don't think "everyone" thought that Queen Elizabeth would somehow skip over Charles to make William her successor. I think some people thought that should happen, but given Queen Elizabeth's commitment to tradition and service, that would be so unlikely. 

Given Charles' age, I think William will be king sooner rather than later, though.

Edited by KittyQ
Added a thought.
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not anyone with the tiniest bit of knowledge of the monarchy, anyway.

Yes there's a big difference between would & should, most people probably thought it should have happened but knew it wouldn't. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think "everyone" thought that Queen Elizabeth would somehow skip over Charles to make William her successor.

But that wouldn't have been up to Queen Elizabeth anyways right?  I don't think the monarch can choose to skip their heir for next one in line.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

But that wouldn't have been up to Queen Elizabeth anyways right?  I don't think the monarch can choose to skip their heir for next one in line.

The succession to the throne of the UK is governed by Act of Parliament, and can only be altered by Parliament. So yeah, it was never going to happen no matter what Whoopi thinks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Why do people keep banging on about mass shootings being a mental health issue? Every country in the world has people with mental health issues but what most don't have is easy access to guns. It's a so obvious yet often ignored undeniable fact. Also it has been proven that people in states with strict gun laws just travel next door to a state like Texas with very lax or non existent laws and buy guns there, again obvious but often ignored.

• Like 12
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Why do people keep banging on about mass shootings being a mental health issue?

What is happening is as soon as a mass shooting happens there are people on TV saying mental health is to blame.  Before we even know the name of the person. Before we even know the motive. Do mentally ill people commit mass shootings?  In some cases yes.  But not every mass shooting is committed by someone having a mental health crisis.  Some shooters are just flat out hateful evil people.  And no amount of mental health counseling is going to fix that. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

What is happening is as soon as a mass shooting happens there are people on TV saying mental health is to blame.  Before we even know the name of the person. Before we even know the motive. Do mentally ill people commit mass shootings?  In some cases yes.  But not every mass shooting is committed by someone having a mental health crisis.  Some shooters are just flat out hateful evil people.  And no amount of mental health counseling is going to fix that. 

I think in many cases there is no reliable way to know the motivation of the shooter because they are dead. Going from information gleaned about them afterwards, it seems that there can be a number of mental health factors involved, although some people leave documents explaining their political or social goals, and some people are evil (but maybe that's a mental problem, too, although not one likely to be fixable). In other countries with high murder rates, crime seems to be the driving factor. 

It seems futile to expect a single solution to this problem. At minimum, you'd think that there's a big overlap between people who have access to guns and people who have mental/emotional issues. As Sunny says, most people with mental issues aren't violent, and as no one on The View says, most people who legally own guns don't shoot people. Addressing only one of these may show some reduction but wouldn't necessarily solve the larger problem.

• Like 2

The term mental health is very broad.  There is a huge difference from common mental health conditions like depression and anxiety and whatever mental health condition makes someone homicidal.   But it's all put under the same umbrella and there really isn't a practical clinical way to differentiate between the various types.     I think this is why Sunny pulls out her statistic about mental health sufferers being more likely to be the victim on crime than the perpetrator.   

30 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

In other countries with high murder rates, crime seems to be the driving factor. 

A decent argument can be made that mental health influences are the real factor in those cases as well.    I'd guess many of those perpetrators suffer from PTSD, depression etc.   

• Like 2

How many tragedies need to occur before something is done? My heart breaks for that little boy who lost his parents and brother. I can't imagine what his life will be like and what that family's loved ones are going through. 

No place is safe. Not schools, churches, malls, movie theaters. I'm not even that old, and I remember a time when if you wanted to be safe, you avoided the sketchy side of town. You tried not to stay out super late. Maybe you didn't go to bars and clubs. I'm not saying there hasn't always been evil people and danger in day-to-day life, but the possibility of being shot was not like it is today.

• Like 7
  • Sad 12

I believe mental health issues are being brought up because we are experiencing more shootings than ever before. Lately, it seems to be at least once a week that shootings are occurring. That's quite a bit more than previous years, so what's changed? No matter what the shooter's motive, they're obviously not stable in their thinking regardless of what ails them.

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

That's quite a bit more than previous years, so what's changed?

Laws that make it easier to acquire and carry an assault weapon.

Ok, I’m bawling my eyes out for the teacher. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6
On 5/8/2023 at 12:07 PM, Haleth said:

I was shocked when Sunny said she changed her mind about Camilla. She had been so adamant about Camilla being a home palace wrecker. 

What changed her mind? The fact that she’s now Queen? She knew that was happening the last time she was ripping on her.🙄🙄🙄

• Like 3

Sunny is so full of shit it's unbelievable.

In one sentence she wants to know why someone with mental health issues was sent to a treatment center when he should have been locked up & the next sentence she wants people with mental health issues to have help available. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What changed her mind? The fact that she’s now Queen? She knew that was happening the last time she was ripping on her.🙄🙄🙄

Good question; if you do a 180 about someone, you should at least explain why you now feel differently. Did she read some book or article? Did she meet someone who knows Camilla? Did she meet Camilla herself? Maybe she's been softening her opinion on Camilla all along, but even this year she sounded very anti-Camilla, so it doesn't seem as though it was a gradual change of mind.

• Like 2

I have as much empathy as anyone for mentally ill and homeless people.  But if I was on the subway in NYC (or the Metro in DC) and a homeless man was screaming about being hungry and having nowhere to sleep, I’d head in the opposite direction ASAP.  Or try to get off the train.  And I think Sunny would too.  There’s empathy and then there’s danger.  I am not saying that young man deserved to die.  But let’s be real.  I think most of us would have our self-preservation instincts kick in and try to get away from the situation.

The ending with the teacher was lovely and I cried too. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Shrek said:

In one sentence she wants to know why someone with mental health issues was sent to a treatment center when he should have been locked up & the next sentence she wants people with mental health issues to have help available. 

1,000% agree.  

1 hour ago, jalady said:

I have as much empathy as anyone for mentally ill and homeless people.  But if I was on the subway in NYC (or the Metro in DC) and a homeless man was screaming about being hungry and having nowhere to sleep, I’d head in the opposite direction ASAP.  Or try to get off the train.  And I think Sunny would too.  There’s empathy and then there’s danger.  I am not saying that young man deserved to die.  But let’s be real.  I think most of us would have our self-preservation instincts kick in and try to get away from the situation.

Exactly!!  I doubt if Sunny is still taking the subway (she may have when she was younger and getting around the city, but she doesn't even live in Manhattan anymore, so it's doubtful she's taking a subway anywhere these days.) The subway stations and trains seem to have more and more homeless people on them, most with some type of issue.  

I also didn't buy her "If I saw someone who was asking for money for food I would give it to them".  This poor young man was mentally unstable, and obviously under the influence of some type of drugs.  Sunny would have gotten as far away from him as possible, as most of us would do - just as you said, for self-preservation.  You just don't know what's going to happen next.

Edited to add:  Sunny paints a much different picture than eye-witnesses on the train, who said the young man was screaming many different things and throwing trash at other train-riders, he was acting aggressively toward the other passengers.

Sunny is really becoming quite insufferable with her holier-than-thou attitude about most things.  

I am truly empathetic, as you are, but this situation is one that can be frightening and quite disturbing if you have ever experienced anything like this (I have, and it's downright scary.  I got off the subway at the first available stop and waited for the next train.)

My heart goes out to this young man's family, as well as the young Marine.  It's a very, very, very sad story that is bound to get even sadder.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 6
(edited)

Why didn’t the panel wait until more info was available before discussing current “knowledge” about this subway tragedy?  Apparently (and rightfully) the death is under investigation, and more video is expected. Imo, Joy (with whom I usually agree) repeatedly attempted to drum up sympathy by referring to the deceased man as a “kid” -  but he was 30 years old.  More correctly deemed a “kid” would be the 24 year old ex-Marine.  Anyone using a choke hold today must be lacking in the wisdom that should come with maturity - but actions taken by citizens in believed (if not actual) crisis shouldn’t be judged by the standards we apply to professional law enforcement officers.

Edited by flummoxd
Omission
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

Laws that make it easier to acquire and carry an assault weapon.

Ok, I’m bawling my eyes out for the teacher. 

Same. It was kind of bad when they started with her, but it kept getting worse. When the entire audience stood up, the entire Kleenex box was used up. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, jalady said:

6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

1,000% agree.  

Exactly!!  I doubt if Sunny is still taking the subway (she may have when she was younger and getting around the city, but she doesn't even live in Manhattan anymore, so it's doubtful she's taking a subway anywhere these days.) The subway stations and trains seem to have more and more homeless people on them, most with some type of issue.  

I also didn't buy her "If I saw someone who was asking for money for food I would give it to them".  This poor young man was mentally unstable, and obviously under the influence of some type of drugs.  Sunny would have gotten as far away from him as possible, as most of us would do - just as you said, for self-preservation.  You just don't know what's going to happen next.

Edited to add:  Sunny paints a much different picture than eye-witnesses on the train, who said the young man was screaming many different things and throwing trash at other train-riders, he was acting aggressively toward the other passengers.

Sunny is really becoming quite insufferable with her holier-than-thou attitude about most things.  

I am truly empathetic, as you are, but this situation is one that can be frightening and quite disturbing if you have ever experienced anything like this (I have, and it's downright scary.  I got off the subway at the first available stop and waited for the next train.)

My heart goes out to this young man's family, as well as the young Marine.  It's a very, very, very sad story that is bound to get even sadder.

This young man's death is tragic, and I think Sunny is a kindhearted person. But I agree with both of you. I've had some scary experiences like many folks have had. I regularly give money to homeless people, but I only do it when I'm in my car, in broad daylight, with others around, and no erratic behavior. As much as you want to help everyone who's struggling, it's natural to want to flee a situation that feels unsafe, and as big as the homeless crisis is, most of us do not have the funds to give money to all the homeless people we cross paths with. I mean, maybe Sunny really does have the money (even if I doubt she's completely fearless), but most of us are not rich.

10 hours ago, Shrek said:

Did she misspeak? I feel that I've heard quite the opposite, that people with mental health issues should be sent to treatment, not jail.

I loved the teacher segment. I was teary-eyed.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Did she misspeak? I feel that I've heard quite the opposite, that people with mental health issues should be sent to treatment, not jail.

I think Sunny probably just misspoke. Based on everything she's stood for all these years, I'm sure wants people with mental health issues to get help.

14 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I think she was misheard mostly? At least I didn't interpret her comments as saying the former at all...? From my viewing last night, the part that's being referred to is when she said that if those charged with sentencing him in the past when he had been arrested in his history thought he was a danger to society, they would've put him in prison rather than sending him to a rehab and/or mental facility.

I also loved the ending with the teacher who was being honored.

• Like 3
(edited)

Andy Cohen? Oh, hell no. It's like they are trying to run me off. 

Also, I feel significantly dumber after that underwear discussion. My main takeaway is that Joy is very wasteful. This asinine discussion juxtaposed with the earlier one about sexual assault was just *something*  I need to go have a long talk with myself about my life choices. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 5/9/2023 at 9:08 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

OT but MeeAgain McCain is now a big fan girl of the Royals too.  She’s fawning over Megan. 

Don’t think I can sit through Andy Cohen. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, athousandclowns said:

OT but MeeAgain McCain is now a big fan girl of the Royals too.  She’s fawning over Megan. 

Don’t think I can sit through Andy Cohen. 

What? She consistently trashes them. Where is this new view? I need to see. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Re pressing issue of underwear on vacay, have none of these over-privileged ninnies heard about washing ones’s unmentionables in the hotel sink, then drying ‘em on the shower rod (or whatever?)  And ugh, I knew Whopps eschewed bras, but she goes commando, too?  TMI, especially with all her toilet talk.

Edited by flummoxd
Correction
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

I’m sorry got my royals mixed up MM is fawning  over Catherine.. 

The faces Sunny is making with her mouth and holding her cards making that announcement in delight  reminds me of a character Bill Hader did  on SNL. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think she was misheard mostly? At least I didn't interpret her comments as saying the former at all...? From my viewing last night, the part that's being referred to is when she said that if those charged with sentencing him in the past when he had been arrested in his history thought he was a danger to society, they would've put him in prison rather than sending him to a rehab and/or mental facility.

I also loved the ending with the teacher who was being honored.

Not misheard, she didn't say anything about in the past but she may well have misspoken and confused her self righteous self.

• Like 1
(edited)

Love it when Whoops gives parenting advice, this time to A. Cohen. Have heard that W’s daughter, Alex, was largely raised by grandma, before becoming a mom herself at 16.  Much more recently, it was sad, imo, that Whoops, after acknowledging her daughter’s birthday (Monday?) could then compliment her only on her looks. Alex is now 50 and several times a mom, but Whoops could find nothing substantive to say about her, even in planned remarks.

Edited by flummoxd
Thx for correction, SugarBDesign - Alex is the name
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Andy Cohen? Oh, hell no. It's like they are trying to run me off. 

Also, I feel significantly dumber after that underwear discussion. My main takeaway is that Joy is very wasteful. This asinine discussion juxtaposed with the earlier one about sexual assault was just *something*  I need to go have a long talk with myself about my life choices. 

I feel significantly dumber after MANY of their discussions!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Shrek said:

Not misheard, she didn't say anything about in the past but she may well have misspoken and confused her self righteous self.

I don't have the time right now, but maybe someone else can make a transcript of her comments. Sunny can be self-righteous for sure, just not sure that is what she said this time is all.

As far as today's show, it was fine. Whoopi going commando is something I didn't need to know though.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't have the time right now, but maybe someone else can make a transcript of her comments. Sunny can be self-righteous for sure, just not sure that is what she said this time is all.

As far as today's show, it was fine. Whoopi going commando is something I didn't need to know though.

I did check on Hulu with cc on before my reply to you in case I had misheard and she had said in the past but she had not said anything about in the past. 

Agree 100 percent about Whoopi.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The first part of her comments from YouTube:

We are re-victimizing this victim by talking about the fact that he had been arrested. The reason he had so many mental health issues is because he saw the brutal murder of his mother at the age of 14. When he was recently arrested, rather than put him in jail, they actually--he plead guilty, and he was sentenced to live at a Bronx treatment facility, take his medication, and stay clean for 15 months. Unfortunately, he left the place after 13 days. So this is a troubled person who needed help. As prosecutors, when someone is a danger to society, you don't give them--you don't put them in a mental health facility, you put them in prison.

By implication--since he was not put in prison, it was because he was not deemed a "danger to society." And this had to be his past they were talking about even if she didn't say "in the past." It couldn't be the present because he's deceased?

I guess since it's a long statement, it could've caused confusion that way, but I don't see how she could've been saying he should have been in prison from that. She was defending him, if anything. I think she was implying that new outlets and figures bringing up his past was an attempt to paint him as having "deserved it" even though she personally sees him as a victim?

• Like 3